• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An In-Depth Guide to the Chain :: CHAIN LOCK/CHAIN JACKET inside! (Updated: 7/22/08)

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
:: The Chain ::
- An In-Depth Guide to Sheik's Underrated Weapon -

Learn how to WHIP your opponents!

Looking to utilize Sheik's Chain? Look no further :] Below are some videos to give you a sense of what the Chain can do for your game! The focus will be on its uses as an attack, rather than as the best tether recovery in the game.

-------------------------------------

CHAIN FACTS
* Tip of Chain has a sweetspot with a "shock" effect and hitstun similar to Samus' Z-Air.
* The rest of the Chain doesn't have a sweetspot and has very little hitstun (less than the Jab).
* Chain can be fluidly maneuvered using the joystick. (C-Stick can be also used for short movements and chain manipulation)
* Holding B keeps the Chain out. Otherwise Chain will retract automatically retract after a set amount of time. If done in the air, the Chain will stay out until you touch the ground. If done out of a Short-Hop, Chain will remain out.
* All Chain hits counts as ONE attack in the attack-decay system.
(If you pulled the chain out, hit your enemy 20 times, then retracted it, it would only count as ONE hit in your attack-decay)
* SHC (Short-Hopped Chains) take on a different properties than a grounded Chain.
* Cannot be clash canceled.
* Can stop Meta Knight's Mach Tornado :)

Percentages / Properties
Grounded Chain (Deployed on Ground)
- (Sweetspot, Tip) deals 5% damage.
- (Non-sweetspot, Chain) deals 3% damage.
* More active hitbox, less hitstun (less than a jab), horizontal knockback.

SHC: Short-Hopped Chain (Chain Deployed in Air, from a short-hop)
- (Sweetspot, Tip) deals 5% damage.
- (Non-sweetspot, Chain) deals 5% damage.
* Not as active hitbox, more hitstun (comparable to a jab), vertical-horizontal knockback.

Trip %: 291-999%

PROS
+ Multiple uses: Shield Stabbing, Edgeguarding, Chain Locks, mix-ups, and Chain Jacket.
+ Two Versions of Chains available for use: SHC (Short-Hopped Chains) and Grounded Chains.
+ Can quickly rack up multiple hits, ESPECIALLY if the opponent is relatively close to Sheik.
+ Great tool for Shield Stabbing and Shield Pressure. Grounded Chains are much better for this as the hitboxes are more active than a SH'ed Chain.
+ Given proper spacing from the edge, makes for a great edge-guard with SHC due to its longer hitstun, greater damage, and knockback that keeps them closer than a Grounded Chain.
+ If sweetspot connects, allows Sheik to safely retract the Chain.
+ Weak Chain hits gradually push enemies into the sweetspot.
+ Chain is highly maneuverable and can hit behind you.
+ C-Stick is usable for quick jostling of the Chain and adding an extra movement vector when combined with the analog stick.
+ Chain completely stops your momentum.
+ Difficult to approach for characters that lack projectiles.
+ Can block some projectiles

Projectiles include:
Fireballs (Mario and Luigi)
PK Fire (Ness and Lucas)
PK Thunder (Ness)
Missiles (Samus)
Turnips (Peach)
Grenades (Snake)
Ice Blocks (Ice Climbers)
Bananas (Diddy Kong)
Arrows, Bombs, Boomerangs (Link, Toon Link)
Thunder Shock (Pikachu)
Pikmin (Olimar) << Unsure if it includes throws and Smashes
** This projectiles section is still under work. I haven't been able to personally test them and these are based off of predictions. If you notice something missing, or something wrong, post a message **

+ Works well on defense also.
+ Has a great surprise factor.
+ Looks hella awesome :]

CONS
- Enemies can attack out of Grounded Chain hits given the small amount of hitstun.
- Can be easily punished.
- Slow startup and ending animation.
- Severe punishment if you mess it up.
- Sheik remains immobile during the Chain.
- Won't really help lessen your Attack-Decay for other moves.

Advanced Chain Techniques

Chain Lock / Reverse Chain Lock
(Thanks to Sinking Higher for directions below)

* The Chain Lock is simply a technique that uses the chain to shield stab, punish spotdodging, and quickly rack up damage. The multiple hits from the Chain literally eats away at shields and traps in the opponent momentarily in a series of rapid Chain hits before being knocked away by the tip.

* The Reverse Chain Lock works the same way, but your back is facing the enemy. This setup causes the tip of the chain to knock the enemy back into the Chain instead of away. Sheiks slides forward during the chain lock, making it more of a true lock as the enemy will be trapped until they can DI out of it.

----------------------
Watch the Magic!
(0:30-0:45, 3:00-3:10) http://youtube.com/watch?v=BsUgWBoBt4k
(2:10-2:20) http://youtube.com/watch?v=6WRGtX9-hXg
----------------------

** How to Perform the Chain Lock / Reverse Chain Lock **

You can Chainlock someone that is behind you by going between South-SouthEast, SouthEast and East-SouthEast, assuming you're facing West. By hitting them with the end of the chain (by quickly tapping towards them), at low percentages, it will knock them infront of you where you can Chainlock again. This works beautifully on certain large, recovering characters like C. Falcon or Ganondorf who are unable to do anything after their third jump.

When doing the reverse Chainlock, you will slide forwards in the direction Sheik is facing at a moderate pace, like walking. Since the Chainlock has a tendency to push the opponent infront of Sheik, you should be able to hold them longer.

An easier way to get the lock to work: If you face the opposite direction and sweetspot them with the chain from BEHIND, no matter how far they are, it will pull them into the perfect position for the reverse Chainlock. Like Zelda's Nayru's Love, it will always knock them the way Sheik is facing.

(This works better than the original Chainlock because you are moving, and thus the hitbox gets a larger range. I don't know for sure though, since I don't have anyone to test it on.)

** The Chainlock doesn't need to be a down and down(direction) motion **
You could do it between any two points, like down-forward+forward, or even forward+up-forward for larger characters. However, this can only be done in front of Sheik. Reverse Chainlocks don't work this way.

This will allow you to do weaker version of the lock from a farther distance. By weaker, I mean that it is easier to escape, since it is harder to maintain a steady flow of hits, and it is more likely that the tip will connect, thus breaking the lock.

Chain Jacket
Credits to RyokoYaksa for the discovery!

>> WARNING <<​
Performing the Chain Jacket as your first or second attack in the game may CRASH or FREEZE your Wii. Please use with EXTREME caution, as this awesome technique is too much for the Wii to handle. Do not use Chain Jacket without performing 2-3 attacks at the beginning of the match.

Use as directed.

*The latest development in Sheik's game. By performing the Chain Jacket, you can infuse the knockback of ANY Sheik move into the chain hits. So if you do a D-Smash Chain Jacket, each time the Chain hits the enemy, they'll struck with the knockback and damage of a D-Smash. Insane isn't it? Curious to see it in action? Watch... and be amazed:

Strong B-Air Chain Jacket

*The Chain Jacket works by taking the last Sheik move you performed, and then imbuing its hitbox, knockback, and damage onto the body of the Chain, unleashing the BEAST hidden within.

**Chain Jacket Facts**

- You can ONLY jacket SHEIK'S moves. You cannot jacket's Zelda's moves.
- You CANNOT jacket projectiles. (Includes Needles, ray guns, super scopes, any item that shoot a projectile)
- You CANNOT jacket Down-B (Transform). (This would be hilarious though, as Sheik would be Mr.Smith, except way cooler)
- You CAN jacket any non-projectile that can be performed by Sheik. For example, you can jacket Sheik's Home Run Smash if you'd like. Here's a video for your entertainment! http://youtube.com/watch?v=L2zDH09dXGg
- You CAN jacket grabs! Unfortunately, it only jackets the damage-- it will have no hitstun and no invisible grabs (that would just be imba XD!)
- Chain Jacket also adopts the jacketed move's damage.

- Only the body of the Chain is jacketed, the tip retains its "shock" properties.
- The jacketed portion adopts the hitbox of the move that is used. Sometimes you can hit the opponent without the Chain needing to physically touch them.

** After some testing, I noticed this wasn't always true and that there was considerable variation between some of the jacketed moves**

- Some moves cause the whole chain to become inactive, such as D-Tilt, but swinging the chain activates an invisible hitbox for the jacketed move (as though Sheik were performing it).
- Other moves, such as the U-Tilt cause the whole chain to be imbued with the Chain tips "shock" effect ON TOP of an invisible hitbox for the U-Tilt.
- Moves like F-Smash and D-Smash jacket the hitbox onto the body of the chain while keeping the Chain tip active.

Note: These variations could be due to timing of the Jacketing process. Input about your experiences with the moves would help greatly!

- If a move has two hitboxes (i.e. Strong B-Air vs. Soft B-Air), the Chain Jacket will adopt the last hitbox. For example, if you performed a B-Air, and fast-falled it before the weak hitbox took place, you will Jacket the strong hit. If you full jump the B-Air and let it complete before landing, you will Jacket the soft B-Air.
- Once jacketed, the Chain CAN be clash-cancelled like any ground attack. So if someone attacks the Chain with an equal priority attack, it will clash and the Chain will immediately end.
- The Jacket will NOT decay the jacketed move. It will simply count as Chain hits.

- Vanish can be jacketed, but only the "wind" properties at the end will be adopted and not the initial explosion that deals damage.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AoJgu8JaSVU&feature=related
- Sheik's Light Arrows (Final Smash) is the only exception to some of these rules. It takes on unusual properties and is the only "projectile" that Sheik can jacket.

** How to perform the Chain Jacket: **

1. Perform the move you would like to Jacket onto the Chain. It does NOT need to hit someone.
2. Perform a short hop and deploy the Chain JUST after you reach the apex of the hop. This does NOT have to be done immediately after Step 1.
3. If done correctly, you should see the Chain deploy "dust" come out about or slightly below Sheik's shoulders. It is also accompanied by a lower pitched Chain deploy sound.
4. Your Chain is now jacketed until you retract it.

Simpler than you thought it would be, eh? :D

--------------------------------------------------------------
Updates:
June 28 2008 - Updates to reflect discussion and additions.
June 30 2008 - Changed title, added Pros and Cons section, removed Main Points section, cleaned up post a little bit.
July 10 2008 - Changed thread into a guide.
July 12 2008 - Added Projectiles that can be blocked by Chain.
July 13 2008 - Removed Charged Shot, Aura Ball from projectiles list.
July 18 2008 - Added the much anticipated "How to Perform the Chain Jacket" section. Some updates here and there.
July 20 2008 - Edited Chain Jacket facts, altered the Jacketing procedure slightly, and changes in the Chain facts to reflect SHC and Grounded Chains.
July 22 2008 - Added Grabs to Jacketable list.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Go Sheik!!

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Back when Brawl was first coming out I tested pretty much everything including the chain ^^

You basically listed everything there is to know about the chain except that after sheik falls for a set amount of time the Chain will automatically retract upon landing.

By the way the chain ***** Sonics recovery if he tries to recovery from below the ledge. How badly you might ask? 50 plus damage to death is the average for me.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Remember to shake the chain from down to down+forward for maximum damage potential on the ground.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I found the chain to be useful at times yesterday too. Me and a friend on wifi decided to get used to fighting our counters for the characters we'll use for wifi crew battles. I had completely forgotten about Ice Climbers, so when I remembered, I had the other person use Ice Climbers (even though he's not that good with them) and I used sheik. I basically told him to try to grab whenever he got the chance, even if he can't do their grab combos well, so I could get used to spacing. During the matches I used the chain every now and then and it worked at times, at other times though, he was able to roll behind me and I was vulnerable then, but most of the times it was very handy and forced him back.

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
THis is a good find and makes the chain usefull. I usually used to the chain to sweetspot never knew you could get multiple hits of it.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
you usually always have a better option for than the chain, imo. I find it foolish to use it, save for situational occasions. As Luigi, I punish the chain with super jump punches, every time my friends shiek uses it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
By the way the chain ***** Sonics recovery if he tries to recovery from below the ledge. How badly you might ask? 50 plus damage to death is the average for me.
only online xD

after the first-second hits, it's invincibility frames ftw

If you were basing it off of some of our fights, some of the deaths were from buffering forward through input lag and floating under the stage >.<;

But I'll agree that it's a worthy foe on the edge :p It's Sheik's flamethrower.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Na Tenki after are matches I continue to test it on other poor Sonics mains who cross my path and practice with sonic ^B a bit in training mode. I learn that Sonic does not gain invincibility frames just as his ^b begins but after a set time he gets them.

Although this set time is very soon after the beginning animations of the ^B the time Sonic can get interrupted is very noteworthy.

EDIT: HA! The chain can do consecutive hits!

Charoo

Smash Champion
best chain moment today

some1 counter picked me to corneria and well... I infinite him with the chain on the fin haha. I was just spinning the control stick like crazy and he went up to like 200% haha

ADHD

Smash Hero
Sorry if im crashing the party but it seems to punishable to miss, and sheik already has it easy on racking up damage.

Still, just another reason why bowser is my personal chew toy.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, the Chain can be punished severely if you happen to whiff it. It supplements Sheik's already amazing ability to rack up damage; can't go wrong with having more options.

By the way, does anyone know if each hit by the Chain counts towards the decay counter? If it does, it would be a wonderful reason to use it since it would allow Sheik to almost instantly refresh her attack moves. This would allow her to refresh it without having to change into Zelda, especially if you haven't racked up too much damage yet.

I really hope each Chain hit counts seperately, it would definitely help Sheik indirectly in the KO department.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I really do love this new development.

Like I said I tested everything and I did find a few uses for the chain but there was always something better and I kept running into the problem when someone shield it or just man it and DI toward me but since that not a problem anymore here a few ideas I've already briefly retested

While Sheik is hanging on the ledge a good way to get back onto the stage when someone is standing nearby is jumping out and using the chain. The spacing can be a bit difficult as you have to be beyond the edge of the stage for you not to do a tether recovery but this is a great way to give you space especially in the higher percents as the tip of the whip does not have a set knock back. If they shield or side step then proceed to use the chain **** tech. (We should give this style of using the chain some type of name to make talking about it in the future easier. Right now we might be able to get away calling it that but a future Sheik player wont recognized this if other version of chain **** are discovered)

A big problem people are having now including myself is that people are able to roll out of are chain lock(this could also work for it’s name) since we can’t do it fast enough yet and thus are opponents roll behind us. A good away to protect yourself is to use the sweet spot of the chain.

The chain is capable although not for very long periods of time to reach it’s full length behind Sheik. This can be used to ward off people from behind.

To have Sheik chain reach it max distance behind her you first have to stretch it’s full length in front. This can be easily accomplish by just holding forward from here you have two options. You can do a upward circular motion which has a longer time that sweet spot can happen or you could cut though the middle and go directly left or right.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Against shields, Sheik doesn't really have strong tools to stab past them. This is it.

Also, I wouldn't worry at all about people rolling out of the chain. If they roll away, you can safely retract the chain. If they roll behind you... then there's something far more devious that you can do.

People attacking you out the the "chain lock" is a big concer, however, as the control stick movement required for doing it will force you into "bad DI." Depending on whether or not the C-stick allows you to DI or not (it does allow Smash DI), then that might help counteract this weakness.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
I got around to update the post to reflect some of the comments made and to make it easier to read :)

Does anyone find the ability to keep the Chain out in the air useful? I think it might be useful in terms of mind games or increased surprise factor; or do you think its too punishable like that?

Second, does anyone know what projectiles can and cannot be stopped by the Chain? It might prove useful in defending against intermittent camping or avoiding annoying projectiles like Pit's Arrows, Snake's grenades, and Luigi's Fireballs. The info would definitely make great guide material. Too bad I don't have any immediate access to a Wii and Brawl at the moment to check it out :(

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
By fully executing the Chain a little above the ground (high enough that you whip it out while airborne, but close enough so that you keep it upon landing), the attack takes on a very different property. Every hit of the chain does 5 damage and there is little effectual difference between normal hits and tipper hits. However, all the Chain hits now send slightly upward and away and have decent hitstun, enough for the Chain itself to score consecutive hits. And it is a ***** to get past without a projectile, rush attack, or a counter since the Chain is so long (even from the rear) and cannot be clash canceled.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Interesting, I didn't think that the Chain took on different properties when unleashed in the air. Well, it looks like the Chain has some interesting defensive purposes, maybe a possible application in the uphill battle with Meta Knights? :)

Any notable projectiles that do go through the Chain?

Lastly, the title change was probably for the better :D I guess straightforward is more eye catching that references to Wonder Woman (although she was awesome XD )

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Speak of chain reflecting projectiles I've found that it in fact can stop physical projectile such as Olimar's

I was just playing a online match against someone Olimar and I saw that it could reflex at least his normal throwing style and the down smash.

I'm not 100% about the fsmash as it's nearly impossible to tell when Olimar does a fsmash or just normal throw as they where getting beaten way to quickly for me to tell.

It was glorious

I can see Olimar dropping a good 10 points in difficult from this but that’s just me, I’m no pro fighting Olimar’s

Edit: 5, I've only fought like one godly Olimar and 10 is a bit much

Edit2: Since this reflects all of Olimar attacks doesn't that mean we have a nearly flawless approach against Olimar now if we bring the chain out in the air and are able to land without getting interrupted?

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Chain question, Which way produces the best results?

1) Simply using the normal left stick to go from down to down forward toward the opponent as rapidly as possible.
2) Hold the left joystick toward the opponent directly and rapidly press the c-stick down.
3) Hole the left joystick down and rapidly smash the c-stick in the direction of the opponent.
or 4) some way I don't know about yet.

I find people can sometimes jump out my hold if I do the first one.

-Riot

popsofctown

Smash Champion
the biggest thing i was missing with the chain, that i've read here, is that you should retract it after the sweetspot.

Got to go soon. Tristan_win have you tried that chain against an Olimar who likes his Whistle Armor?

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Chain question, Which way produces the best results?

1) Simply using the normal left stick to go from down to down forward toward the opponent as rapidly as possible.
2) Hold the left joystick toward the opponent directly and rapidly press the c-stick down.
3) Hole the left joystick down and rapidly smash the c-stick in the direction of the opponent.
or 4) some way I don't know about yet.

I find people can sometimes jump out my hold if I do the first one.

-Riot
I'd go with option #1. After trying out the different methods my self, I find a Forward to Down-Forward motion the fastest way to jostle the chain while maximizing area and damage. Its been tested by Ryoko and Ankoku, so I'd agree that its been tried and true :]

And good luck in the tournie! Get some videos of it if you can, it'd be great to see some more Sheik videos on the boards.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
...Yeah, Back in Melee with the correct spacing you could use the chain as a fairly safe edge guarder if you set yourself so that if they rolled off the ledge you would be able to use the pull back to hit them. I even develop a way to make the chain hit them once before the knock back.

Of course as time went on I got better and stop using the chain but there was always something special about raising a Falco who's trying to recovery from below the ledge to 300% before having mercy.

and no I have not Pops. Once I learned this piece of information I immediately stop playing and double back here to post. Since then I haven't face a Olimar user.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I put this in the Sheik Tricks thread, but I figured it should go here too.

-------------------------------

You can chainlock someone that is behind you by going between South-SouthEast, SouthEast and East-SouthEast, assuming you're facing West. By hitting them with the end of the chain (by quickly tapping towards them), at low percentages, it will knock them infront of you where you can chainlock again. This works beautifully on certain recovering characters like C. Falcon or Ganondorf. Face towards the center of the stage, and keep it behind you, right on the edge, and it will suck them in.

When doing the reverse chainlock, you will slide forwards in the direction Sheik is facing slowly. Since the chainlock has a tendancy to push the opponent infront of Sheik, you should be able to hold them longer.

(I *believe* that this works better than the original chainlock because you are moving, and thus the hitbox gets a larger range. I don't know for sure though, since I don't have anyone to test it on.)

-------------------------------

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I asked mostly because the olimar i play has a low-whistle style, and i would worry about the super armor bursting through the chain. But on the other hand maybe the spots between whistles might make it hard. I'm not sure if every other olimar besides the one i play uses whistle all the time, mine says he's more comfortable with airdodging and taking 0 damage.

The whip can deflect Fsmash pikmin, but it can't do so without fail. I saw an Fsmashed blue pikmin go through the (non-sweetspot) part of the chain and hit me. It might be because the chain hitboxes appear at different moments in time, and aren't ever present on every pixel of the chain.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for posting the additional information SinkingHigher, I'll be sure to add it in when I revamp this thread for use as an in-depth Chain guide for easier reading and usability :)

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Bumping the thread. I just updated it, turning the discussion of the Chain into a guide.

Anyone have any suggestions to what should be added to the guide? If you got something that you think should be added, post them and I'll see if I can squeeze it in. Also, if anyone has a tutorial video of the Chain Lock and Reverse Chain Lock, and the Chain Jacket-- that would be awesome. I think visual aids are one of the best ways to learn how to use the Chain.

Lastly, does anyone have the frame-data for the Chain? I can't seem to find it and Ankoku doesn't have it in his Frame Data thread yet :(

popsofctown

Smash Champion
hey, you still don't have the bit about the forced retraction. That is, if you pull out the chain high in the air and fall to the ground, you are forced to retract upon landing. However, if you are close to the ground when you pull the chain out this problem doesn't happen.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I'm sure this is common knowledge, but in the air, if you hold B the chain keeps making a clinking sound.

Has anyone found any specific reason for this? I don't know if it is useful at all. Maybe that's just the way it is. I just feel like perhaps there is some small reason for it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It deals 10%/5% damage when you use the aerial or aerial landed chain instead of 5%/3%.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
@popsofctown
I believe if you hold the B while in the air, it'll stay out when you land. I do have a small section about where the chain autoretracts after a certain amount of time.
@Ankoku
Thanks for the extra damage percentages.

And just to clarify, if I Chain Jacket a move, does the Chain also jacket the damage from that move, or just the knockback?

Thanks :) Hope some frame data will pop up for the chain ^^

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, the chain is definitely a bit more used as a surprise tactic. It requires good setup and you have to anticipate that your enemy will shield or sidestep for it to have the best effect. 20-40% sounds about right to me in terms of damage :)

The chain does cancel some projectiles, I just wish I knew which ones. I don't have a Brawl available for me to check it out; if someone's got a list, I'll definitely add it into the guide.

Lastly, I believe the Chain Jacket only works for strongs hits; but it's a trick I haven't had the opportunity to try for myself. But based on videos posted in Ryoko's thread, it looks like it jackets only strong hits :) Good news for Sheik, bad news for everyone but Sheik ^^

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The chain will hit any projectiles that have a hurtbox, which includes Pikmin, Ice Blocks (I think), PK Fire (both types).

Top Bottom