• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An In-Depth Guide to the Chain :: CHAIN LOCK/CHAIN JACKET inside! (Updated: 7/22/08)

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Ankoku I think the Iceblocks are really troublesome. Im not sure if im doing it wrong but the chain doesnt aways block them, or I'll block one and let the other one through if nana is around. Peach's turnips go bye-bye. Im sorry to say it completely fails against the folowing(i dont know why i even tried, maby i was just hopefull) Samus Charge shot, Lucario Charged Shot, Snakes Nikita Missle(um this one was weird, it hit the missle off a bit but it kept going), Zeldas Dins Fire(yeh, i was hopeful), Pk flash/freeze

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
A little bump to bring this thread back to life now that I've completed the Chain Jacket section. Looking to the Sheik community to help improve/fix any problems with the facts and descriptions! Hope you guys like it :)

I'm looking to add a section on Chain Edge-Guarding later. So feel free to put some input on that also!

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Note: Jacketing a move does not always Jacket the stronger hit. The few Jackets I've managed to pull off have been with the Weak Hit Bair somehow (not really sure why I got the weak hit instead of the strong hit, but it only did 6% as opposed to the much higher seen in the strong Bair jacket video).

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Not 100% sure about this, but to get the stronger hit, you have to land while doing the move (bair/nair/whatever) right as it comes out, so that the weaker sex kick part doesn't come out, and then do the Jacket.

Obviously this only works with aerials, I dunno how to get the tipper jacketed or anything like that sooo..

Villi

Smash Lord
Yeah, you get the strong hitbox by landing before the weak one comes out. It takes the weak/last hitbox from the usmash and dsmash, too. Also, damage is Jacketed. The way I knew I did it right with an usmash was by checking that I landed the 12 damage it caused.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Are you sure about Mario fire balls?

A long time ago someone said they could be reflected by the chain so I went to training mode and against a level 9 Mario starting swinging the chain in a circle pattern while Mario fire at me.

I know the chain did in fact hit the fireballs or rather slice though without effect the fire ball at all, however I never tested this with a aerial whip or bother going the extra step to see if the sweet spot could stop them as I frankly didn't care if it could since if it could only be done using the tipper it would be very ineffective. I also believe it couldn’t in the first place.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the input guys. Updated the Chain Jacket facts accordingly.

As for Mario's Fireballs, I haven't actually had a chance to test that one myself, but I do remember someone saying that it could block them. If only the tip can stop them, then I'll be sure to mention that! **** the lack of Brawls in my dorm :(

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Is the chain jacket legal or has that not been decided yet? It seems really broken...
Well unlike the meta knight infinite cape sheik can still get hurt and since camping or playing defensively isn't illegal there no rule against it.

Once this is mastered though it will make some match up's impossible against Sheik if they can't get pass the chain.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
I'm curious. Do you think it would be possible to do a Chain-Jacket lock?
I think it would massively depend on what move your locking. If you jacketed the fan's hit(which is a banned item) you'd probably lock them. You can lock the final smash too(banned). I havent tried the Jabs but i think its your best bet at a lock. Or maby ftilt....

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
The timing is definitely tricky, in like 30 minutes I got the jacket to work about 8 times. I updated the procedures for the Chain Jacket to make it a little bit easier to time.

Has anyone tried jacketing all of Sheik's moves yet? I jacketed some lesser used moves such as her U-Tilt and D-Tilt and got interesting results. Anyone care to share their experience to help me add some details to the guide?

Also, I noticed a very big difference between SH'ed Chains and Grounded Chains in terms of hitstun and knockback. When Ryoko mentioned it earlier, I didn't think it was too drastic; but it turned out to be pretty noticeable. Its more difficult to get consecutive hits in with the SHC, but it acts as a better edgeguard. The Grounded Chains are definitely more friendly when it comes to Shield Stabbing. I'm starting to think the SHC must be a glitch :O

ADHD

Smash Hero
Sheik's metagame is coming along really nicely.

She's gonna be the queen of top tier again! ^_^

Nestec

Smash Ace
SinkingHigher, you are ********. ^__^

/kidding

Btw, don't know if it's mentioned in the guide, but is it possible to jacket grabs?

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Thats a good question @__@ I don't think so (unless you can jacket grab attacks). I'd need someone to verify it though before I put it on :D

Hopefully with all these Sheik developments, Sheik/Zelda will rise up from her fallen ashes and fly up in the rankings!

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Has anyone been able to use the chain jacket in an actual match yet? I'm dying to know if it's a plausible weapon or if it's too hard to open up an opportunity for it.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
While its hard to get it to consistently work in a non-match setting, the most common application in a real match is to edge guard. When you knock the enemy off, quickly perform a FF B-Air, D-Smash, or F-Smash, then quick SHC for an edge-guard (with the intention to jacket the move).

If you jacket it correctly, you'll be pleasantly surprised when they get KO'ed with the chain :D If you jacket it incorrectly, you still have a very useful SHC for edgeguarding. Either way, its a win-win situation and there's no needless camping/weening until you get the chain correctly. The Chain Jacket should be used very sparingly in a real match and its mostly for surprise factor; they definitely won't see it coming and will realize it too late before they can DI correctly.

This method of implementation would be particularly useful versus Meta Knight since the best way to edge-guard him is... not at the edge :D Also works well in a lot of other cases, but regular edge-guarding would probably immensely more efficient.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
SinkingHigher, you are ********. ^__^

/kidding
No, it's true ):

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I F-Smash to the right with C-stick Right.
Turn around/sometimes walk a little.
Short hop left.
Deploy chain JUST after Sheik reaches the peak.
See dust come out of shoulders/hear lower pitch noise.
Hit opponent with chain.
Nothing happens.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
No, it's true ):

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I F-Smash to the right with C-stick Right.
Turn around/sometimes walk a little.
Short hop left.
Deploy chain JUST after Sheik reaches the peak.
See dust come out of shoulders/hear lower pitch noise.
Hit opponent with chain.
Nothing happens.
Ah, try dropping just a LITTLE bit lower then deploy the Chain.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Alright. Thanks.

I just thought I'd post a little tip about the chain. It's painfully obvious and yet I didn't think about it until just now.

Here's an "easier" way to get someone in a lock. For simplicity's sake, I'll use a diagram.

------------------(Sheik)-----------[Ganon]-----

Alright. Ganon is charging at you from the right.

1. Face right (or left for reverse chainlock).
2. Deploy chain.
3. Hold left.
4. Wait for Ganon to get close.
5. Hit down+right.
6. Wiggle.

You probably know that when you try to get the lock in a real match, the tip usually hits and stops the lock. Punishment ensues.

So what would be the obvious solution to this?

Hmmm...

*Few weeks later*

Oh! Move the chain!

Yes yes, Sheik is vulnerable. But it's not like there's a foolproof way to do this high-risk move. Plus if any projectiles come at you just chain-slap.

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
screw the chain jacket im never going to learn how to do it.

lets say a match starts and you just start getting combo'ed completely schooled.

your now at 90% and your enemy is at 0% so what can you do? well you can freeze the game the play it off like you dont know what the hell just happened you can even practice to make it look smooth so it doesnt even look like you were even trying to freeze it. (btw if this move ever catches on the whole freezing a game because your losing it has to be called slickmasterizzying)

. i hope more and more people learn about this so they realize they need to fix it with a wiipatch. im sorry to the majority of you who are against patching the game because melee didnt have patches and wave dashing was fun and you love your little glitches.

ChronoTrigga

Smash Apprentice
I used chain jacket with Sheik's final smash. It's interesting, it stuns them like Zamus's gun, but there's hardly any knockback at all unless you hit them with the tip of the chain.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
It works like Vanish. If there are two parts to a move, such as Vanish & Wind, or LightArrow & Stun, it chooses the last part.

I want to try getting hit out of a Vanish somehow. There has to be a way to stop Sheik before the Wind comes out. Then you could infuse the Vanish KO power.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
what are the most useful attacks to jacket?

i usmash jacketed a couple times... the first time against sandbag, and the hitbox didn't seem to have good horizontal range at all. but against a samus cpu today (internet was bugging out, so i had to fight cpus), the vertical range seemed pretty sweet and got me a kill >:D

but nobody really talks about usmash jacket, so i assume it's not so great >_>... *refers to original question*

lets say a match starts and you just start getting combo'ed completely schooled.

your now at 90% and your enemy is at 0% so what can you do? well you can freeze the game the play it off like you dont know what the hell just happened you can even practice to make it look smooth so it doesnt even look like you were even trying to freeze it. (btw if this move ever catches on the whole freezing a game because your losing it has to be called slickmasterizzying)

. i hope more and more people learn about this so they realize they need to fix it with a wiipatch. im sorry to the majority of you who are against patching the game because melee didnt have patches and wave dashing was fun and you love your little glitches.
um. it's really not hard at all to do... and also, unless you only attacked one time during that extremely hopeless 90% combo, you aren't going to be able to crash the game. you have to jacket as one of your first few attacks...

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer

BAWWWWW I can't do it so nobody should be able to do it BAWWWWWWWWWWW

I just learned how to do this in literally less than a minute. Now Sheik's DACUS, that's hard. Had to set L to attack for that ._.

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
jacketing a throw will result in damage ONLY no knockback or stun at all....
try it yourself

also thanks for putting in my homerun vid :)

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
So then you can chainlock a chain-jacketed throw?!?!

Someone please tell me because I can get the chain jacket to work 0 out of 500 tries.

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
ok no when you jacket a throw they'll take damage but thats all... imagine lip's stick how it takes damage with the flower without knockback....

uh... ok i jacketed a throw and ganon basically sat in front of me and charged his punch while i was damaging him

Nestec

Smash Ace
Aw shoot, that would've been so cool if the jacket could actually grab. Think of all the possibilities...

Not that it would be useful or anything, but can ledge-attacks be jacketed?

Oh, and do you think the jacket can be triggered from ledgejumps?

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Bah. I know they only take damage. That is why I want to know if you can chainlock someone with it.

I don't know how to say this simpler.

Chainlock someone with a throw-chainjacket.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Ah interesting, a throw-chain jacket. It appears that the jacket would have no hitstun or knockback whatsoever, so it wouldn't be a good idea as a chainlock :D I'm curious, however, to see if the grab-attack being jacketed would have any different effect?

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Ah interesting, a throw-chain jacket. It appears that the jacket would have no hitstun or knockback whatsoever, so it wouldn't be a good idea as a chainlock :D I'm curious, however, to see if the grab-attack being jacketed would have any different effect?
Im pretty sure it does have hitstun and knockback.

To observe, Hit somebody while being in direct contact with another player. Your hit does damage to all who touch the hitbox, I believe i also witnessed some knockback and hitstun.

Top Bottom