• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Afro's thoughts on Melee Enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Hill

Smash Rookie
I know Eddie is broken in GG.
Not really. Fighting Eddie is all about who gets/maintains momentum first, i.e. if you lock Eddie down first there's not a whole lot he can do, and vice versa.

Eddie has arguably the best offense/mixup in the game and also some of the worst defensive options. It's because of those sorts of trade-offs that, IMHO, there really aren't any characters in GG that are "broken".

Thats why I'm slowly losing myself to guilty gear
Yo Xif it's Cary, were you thinking of coming down to FL for Arcade Renaissance in November? I've been trying to get a bunch of people down here to go and was gonna try and give Kyle a call to see if he would be down. Hit me up if you're gonna be back down here, man.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Uh I'm sure the majority of the posts on Equi's account are actually Afro's sayings, Equi's just typing it for him. >_>

Ryan-K

Smash Master
yeah i think around 06 i was in like 2 smallass florida melee tournies lol doodah might be the only person that remembers me

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm not saying melee requires no thought... or less thought or anything of the like. But there were instances where a smarter player was easily beaten by a very good pressuring person because that was nearly unbeatable.
Quoted for MASSIVE truth.

I am an egotistical *******. <3

*goes back to reading the rest of the thread*

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
I get frustrated at any game i lose at, cuz thats just what i do, but i only stay frustrated for a short amount of time. In short im a johner lol, i get pissed when i lose, but i get over it and seek to improve immediately. Honestly taking whatever i say immediately after i lose a match when my head isnt* the clearest.
lol i called this

I call it the Afro Rant, or Afrant for short. It lasts anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours after a tourniment loss. And i never take anything said seriously, i either laugh or make calm points or call you out on it. its kinda fun seeing the same reaction each time.

My favorite is when you say "*** yo penguin" and laugh after, thats when i kno u start calming down :)

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Not really. Fighting Eddie is all about who gets/maintains momentum first, i.e. if you lock Eddie down first there's not a whole lot he can do, and vice versa.

Eddie has arguably the best offense/mixup in the game and also some of the worst defensive options. It's because of those sorts of trade-offs that, IMHO, there really aren't any characters in GG that are "broken".

Yo Xif it's Cary, were you thinking of coming down to FL for Arcade Renaissance in November? I've been trying to get a bunch of people down here to go and was gonna try and give Kyle a call to see if he would be down. Hit me up if you're gonna be back down here, man.
I was moreso being facetious anyways. Peter tried to explain Eddie to me saying that "Eddie has two different kinds of match ups, match ups where he *****, or match ups where he gets *****."

He also describes every character as being "broken", just broken in their own cute, special ways :3

Hax

Smash Champion
gingerr, i see you play metaknight. you must be very skilled at this brawl game i hear!

Equi

Smash Ace
Why this sudden turn of annoyingness, all i hear is you both preach about melee, and how youd rather play melee, you guys spend some nights together playing a RPG and now you are all on this gay *** save the earth play brawl bull****.

Like the way you guys are talking and typing these posts, you are definatly on the track to people really really annoying people in a short amount of time. The smash community is so ****ing bad now, has been for about 10 months before brawl. Dont add to it.

You know my stance, I like melee better but I dont come on the boards and say stuff, just play what you like and have fun. This goes for everyone, stop being annoying and immature. Brawl is too slow for me, i like the technicalness and hardness of melee in competitive play, Brawl is fun and Im not saying i wont ever play it with anyone, what im saying is everyone needs to stop being annoying idiots.

If you two were around in 06 going to a tournament every weekend with all of us from south florida that was nexus crew (me, riot, chill, nbp mike, nbp corey, sighrax, tipman, doodah, sasha, bean, etc) that group of 12 of us was like a family and we would have SO much fun, if you had been there youd understand why people hate the brawl community. I dont hate the game, i just hate the majority of the people that play the game.

And if equi mains marth then why does he play falco/fox for like an hour, then i sit down, he goes to marth, then once its not my turn he goes to falco/fox again right after. Just get annoyed with people that only play characters where they feel they have an advantage with in friendles, its for FUN. Thats like yiuha at old nexus, always counter picking.
I thought it would be good to show people exactly how ******** some of the anti brawl arguements are. To show that people who think they know something about the game, really dont, and hate it for reasons that arent true. Sorry it annoying you, all i can say is dont read it then.

And yes, I counterpick with characters because I have fun trying to improve at the game. That's about all there is to it, I'd rather do Marth Samus than Falco Samus.

Also the bolded portion was fvckin hilarious, we are saving the earth...one rpg at a time.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
gingerr, i see you play metaknight. you must be very skilled at this brawl game i hear!
That's a good guess, since I constantly talk about how good -I- am -personally- at the game. I have certainly never admitted the fact that I might enjoy the game more if I were more skilled at it.

You clearly didn't read my post, since what I said in response to you had absolutely nothing to do with me, kid.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
I thought it would be good to show people exactly how ******** some of the anti brawl arguements are. To show that people who think they know something about the game, really dont, and hate it for reasons that arent true.
says mister

Equi said:
Melee does not have (where one hit results in a winding combo instead of a continued contest of thoughtful prediction.)
irony is a real ***** ain't it

Equi

Smash Ace
lol i called this

I call it the Afro Rant, or Afrant for short. It lasts anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours after a tourniment loss. And i never take anything said seriously, i either laugh or make calm points or call you out on it. its kinda fun seeing the same reaction each time.

My favorite is when you say "*** yo penguin" and laugh after, thats when i kno u start calming down :)
**** YOUR ****ING GAY *** CARTOON NETWORK PENGUIN WITH WIERD *** FEET

--Afro

Ryan-K

Smash Master
that wasn't the point

the point was that you are totally wrong about combos and seriously have no idea what you are talking about how in melee
(where one hit results in a winding combo instead of a continued contest of thoughtful prediction.)
i love it when people address points straight up

Hax

Smash Champion
i ****ing love this slynkee person and i feel him. me and my crew used to go on the funnest adventures, like we'd get lost in baltimore and rob 7/11's and do the craziest **** on our ways to finding tournaments. lmao melee days were the ****... not just cuz of the game (which is like 10x better than brawl btw) but the people were mad chill. not to steriotype or anything but the average brawl noob ive met is some AP calculus student who resorted to smash cuz they got destroyed in high school lmao. plus **** wifi cuz it ruins the concept of meeting up and going to tourneys or smashfests and having fun.

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
Bull****!

10bull****s :urg:
1 MILLION bull****s D=

Afro is the only one trying to be serious from what I can tell in terms of the Brawl v Melee. The fact that nobody takes him seriously doesn't make him right or prove a point. It's like if you went to the Sistine Chapel and tried to preach evolution, then claimed you were right when everyone laughed at you.

Ginger is just chiming in with random win

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Hammer + Robes = Not Cute but gay.
Super cute!

and yeah Kris, you're right. For the most part, I'm staying out of the debate because I have little logical say on either side.

But I do post cute pictures of Dedede and Kirby.

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
lol i called this

When we were outside of Gigabits and Afro said, "I didn't John that loss."

You said, "You said, *** you you fat Penguin to me. Before and after saying I was the better player."

That shiz made my night right there. Funniest stuff I had heard. It still makes me laugh just remembering your voice in my head...

SLyNKee

Smash Journeyman
well if you guys are tired of people brawl bashing, I dont think a 20 page thread helps it die down.

And while you may have fun counterpicking, others do not. Not saying I cant handle marth with Samus, just I would find it funny youd just go marth agaisnt me. Let me get some practice in, ill take my copy of melee home from the store (its my personal copy here at nexus) and Ill practice at home. By that I mean just play like adventure mode and stuff to get used to the game again.

The only match up I feel is a true counter pick to Samus is Ganon, Marth and CFal are hard but not a straight up counter. Samus can have a field day with spacies, but the funny thing is, theres like almost no samus mains. There was like 4 in FL, Phanna, Mankosuki, Esam, and myself. So you dont have to worry about that much up very much.

Only reason I brought it up is because when I sit down to play at nexus thats like my first time playing for months, and its only like 3-4 matches I get in every few months, so its kind of annoying when I spend most of time trying to get the feel for the game again and have to deal with counterpicking.

To be on topic, I just hope you guys dont get further into acting like this, because if it starts effecting you guys as people in person then id rather not be around, life is too short to go on a campaign about smash bros.

Equi

Smash Ace
that wasn't the point

the point was that you are totally wrong about combos and seriously have no idea what you are talking about how in melee

i love it when people address points straight up

Um sir.

In Melee one hit is more likey to result in a string of attacks. Where as in brawl, due to the number of options you have after each hit (due to the lack of hitstun), it is more likely to be a thought link rather than a continued combo. A thought link, as defined post earlier.

Also, to continue what I was saying about the jab/spot dodge/mix-up game is that Brawl deals with attacks out of the shield. In Melee when two characters are facing each other close up they are more likely (i.e. Falco) to SH dair or other options (point being they're not going to release shield) out of the shield rather than releasing the shield, which is not an element in Melee.

Equi

Smash Ace
well if you guys are tired of people brawl bashing, I dont think a 20 page thread helps it die down.

And while you may have fun counterpicking, others do not. Not saying I cant handle marth with Samus, just I would find it funny youd just go marth agaisnt me. Let me get some practice in, ill take my copy of melee home from the store (its my personal copy here at nexus) and Ill practice at home. By that I mean just play like adventure mode and stuff to get used to the game again.

The only match up I feel is a true counter pick to Samus is Ganon, Marth and CFal are hard but not a straight up counter. Samus can have a field day with spacies, but the funny thing is, theres like almost no samus mains. There was like 4 in FL, Phanna, Mankosuki, Esam, and myself. So you dont have to worry about that much up very much.

Only reason I brought it up is because when I sit down to play at nexus thats like my first time playing for months, and its only like 3-4 matches I get in every few months, so its kind of annoying when I spend most of time trying to get the feel for the game again and have to deal with counterpicking.

To be on topic, I just hope you guys dont get further into acting like this, because if it starts effecting you guys as people in person then id rather not be around, life is too short to go on a campaign about smash bros.
Nah. This just about evens it out. Brawl bashing has been going on for ages. Doing nothing about it doesnt help it die down either. I simply want to point out how stupid some of the arguements against brawl really are. Even if our melee knowledge is small in comparison to others, we don't bash the game.

And I was not aware that was your first time in months. We'll play again next time I come around and I'll play whoever you wish (I can play other mid tiers decently)

SLyNKee

Smash Journeyman
i ****ing love this slynkee person and i feel him. me and my crew used to go on the funnest adventures, like we'd get lost in baltimore and rob 7/11's and do the craziest **** on our ways to finding tournaments. lmao melee days were the ****... not just cuz of the game (which is like 10x better than brawl btw) but the people were mad chill. not to steriotype or anything but the average brawl noob ive met is some AP calculus student who resorted to smash cuz they got destroyed in high school lmao. plus **** wifi cuz it ruins the concept of meeting up and going to tourneys or smashfests and having fun.
well id say we all down here would have as much fun without robbing any 7-11s that a group of people could have.

edit - in response to equi, nah you can play whoever you like, I stopped playing meleeing about 10 months or so before brawl. then after brawl ever 2-3 months id play like half a dozen matches at nexus with people, so what you see of my samus, I really feel is garbage, shes so slow and terrible right now, its almost embarrasing.

Equi

Smash Ace
When we were outside of Gigabits and Afro said, "I didn't John that loss."

You said, "You said, *** you you fat Penguin to me. Before and after saying I was the better player."

That shiz made my night right there. Funniest stuff I had heard. It still makes me laugh just remembering your voice in my head...
Afro is a johner, he admits it lol. He's alot better then he was before though.

C. Hill

Smash Rookie
I was moreso being facetious anyways. Peter tried to explain Eddie to me saying that "Eddie has two different kinds of match ups, match ups where he *****, or match ups where he gets *****."

He also describes every character as being "broken", just broken in their own cute, special ways :3
Yeah, that's actually pretty on the mark. I mean, it's kind of ridiculous when three of the worst characters in the game have guaranteed unblockable set-ups, and the arguably absolute worst among them (Johnny) can do 100% damage combos utilizing his unbolockable resets. Not to mention being the manliest character in the game.

My point was basically that if every character is broken more or less equally, then you've still achieved balance. >:O

If you two were around in 06 going to a tournament every weekend with all of us from south florida that was nexus crew (me, riot, chill, synikal, nbp mike, nbp corey, sighrax, tipman, doodah, sasha, bean, etc) that group of 12 of us was like a family and we would have SO much fun, if you had been there youd understand why people hate the brawl community. I dont hate the game, i just hate the majority of the people that play the game.
Man, those were some good times. D:

Even if I did have some metal-a** hair back then, lolol.

Equi

Smash Ace
1 MILLION bull****s D=

Afro is the only one trying to be serious from what I can tell in terms of the Brawl v Melee. The fact that nobody takes him seriously doesn't make him right or prove a point. It's like if you went to the Sistine Chapel and tried to preach evolution, then claimed you were right when everyone laughed at you.

Ginger is just chiming in with random win
The fact that few people have responded seriously only helps prove my point. :)
Its a forum for public discussion, i could care less if people are laughing at me.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's actually pretty on the mark. I mean, it's kind of ridiculous when three of the worst characters in the game have guaranteed unblockable set-ups, and the arguably absolute worst among them (Johnny) can do 100% damage combos utilizing his unbolockable resets. Not to mention being the manliest character in the game.

My point was basically that if every character is broken more or less equally, then you've still achieved balance. >:O

Man, those were some good times. D:

Even if I did have some metal-a** hair back then, lolol.
And such, is what makes Guilty Gear so enjoyable, even for a terrible/casual player such as myself 8D

. . .I also wish I could have seen said "metal hair" :urg:

SLyNKee

Smash Journeyman
no way in hell that match up is even, if linguini said that I will have Tipman strike him down where he stands.

Just becaues the match is in ganons favor does in no way mean samus cant win. Just cuz some one plays Ganon agaisnt me doesnt mean Im going to lose, the most practice i had in melee was agaisnt riots ganon and sighraxs cfal. Not to mention having tipman live about 5 mins down the road from me.

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
Afro is a johner, he admits it lol. He's alot better then he was before though.
Yea. He better not John his way out of our forced Tatsunoko vs Capcom scene. He better get involved. And I know he is probably reading this saying, "Blaze Blue son..." or something insanely awesome like that, but I say, lets make room for all three games (Brawl, Blue, and Tatsunoko).

December tournament, we have to find time to play Tatsunoko vs Capcom! No Johns boyieee!

Still, "fat penguin" is rather hilarious.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Nah, I'm done helping to scum up Matt and Dock's thread, they don't need my nonsense in here.

I hope someday, we can all just get along!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom