• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Afro's thoughts on Melee Enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galuuda

Smash Journeyman
You guys act as if bashing brawl will get others to believe...wow this game really does such woah! Have you ever thought that other people prefer the other game? stop being ignorant tards, and just stop bashing either game, whether you like it or not. Oh man brawl sucks umm...YEAH! Wow, intelligence at it's best on that one. How about you shut up and play the game you like? Jesus, its not hard to figure it out.

Kuroth

Smash Rookie
There is so much fail in this topic I don't even know where to begin.

...so I won't.

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
God **** fun gimpable last boss. Nothing is more satisfying then whacking a Ioprey midair with a hammer.
yeah, fun game. haven't played in ages though.

P.S. to all "Bawrl" scrubs out there people with join dates of 2008 dates shouldn't try to argue with people who have been on the forums for 2-4+ years. Also, shouldn't be making threads for that matter.
To be fair, I've been lurking since 04 (I think) and never bothered to make a username due to being overseas and such. My tech skill isn't amazing, but I can L-cancel pretty good (I used to main Boozer, I had to) and on a good day I can wavedash 3-4 times in a row reliably (with Marth). I think I'm ok for a guy who never got any exposure to the competitive scene beyond videos and smashboards.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
P.S. to all "Bawrl" scrubs out there people with join dates of 2008 dates shouldn't try to argue with people who have been on the forums for 2-4+ years. Also, shouldn't be making threads for that matter.
Ya, because that's exactly how intelligence is measured.

P.S. NOT

D1

Banned via Administration
I wanna hop on the Yggdrasil. I like both games...and still play both games ^_^. I just do Brawl tourneys exclusively though.

Cups

Smash Ace
This thread is lol. Brawl people get butthurt when we say it sucks because they have this inkling of doubt in the back of their head that maybe they aren't having as much fun as they think they are, so they pathetically try to validate their game so they don't have to swallow their pride and admit fault.

It's as simple as this: if Brawl were a good game or intuitive fighter, people wouldn't be modding the game to make it more like melee or putting items in tournament so people won't fall asleep during their matches. If you watch the Evo vids and can honestly say that kid was better than Ken then you are an idiot and shouldn't be at this site in the first place. Comparing Brawl to Melee is like comparing checkers (brawl) to chess (melee), it's fine if you want to play it, but don't ***** if chess players look down on checkers players every once in a while.

I went to Pound 3 (where the first Brawl tourney was), I researched the game, learned the advanced strats, placed in the first couple tournies behind Darkrain. I never went back after watching grueling 8 minute matches drag on with ROB spot dodging over and over and Pit ledge hopping arrows over and over. Our 100 man tourney in KC (June or something) ended with more people watching Darkrain melee friendlies and most of the entrants asking for their money back for whatever reason. More melee tourneys are popping up everywhere with good turnout, and people in KC that used to play brawl are now going to melee. Brawl belongs next to Mario Party get togethers, not fighting game tourneys. Get over it. I don't walk around telling people Melee is better than Street Fighter: 3rd Strike or Guilty Gear, because it isn't. I do however say melee is better than Clayfighter, which is roughly where Brawl is, you just play it for 10 minutes for lols sake. I'm not telling you to stop playing it, I'm telling you to stop acting like it's good or intuitive.

BTW: Counterstrike was a mod, so Brawl + could potentially stir some life up.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Brawl+ is far from Melee 2.0. Very few people want to make Melee 2.0, which is a good thing, because we already have Melee, which is an excellent game in its own right.

Also, the Brawl metagame is evolving a lot, contrary to popular belief. If you think that ROB spotdodging or Pit ledgehopped arrow spam works every time still, then you know very little about the real game. That would be as absurd as saying that there's no way to avoid Sheik's chaingrab at all. (I know it's not the same thing, but the idea to gain is the absurdity of the statement.)

I still play Brawl. I still PREFER Brawl. The only reason that Brawl hate bothers me is because the only people hating are the people that don't god**** play it, or at least aren't anything more than mediocre at it (not to say that they haven't tried). That's called prejudice, and that DOES bother me.

"Brawl is a garbage competitive game; people may as well be tossing dice...oh, by the way, congratulations on your tournament placing at FAST1, Reflex!"

That ends up hurting my feelings more than anything else. I don't see why anyone feels the need to take away from another's experience. I've no problem with someone else preferring Melee, or even taking jabs at Brawl sometimes (it's funny at times, although it's SO overplayed by now). It's statements that outright insult a player's effort and talent that get me.

By the way, the Southeast needs more tournaments in general.

(I was pretty decent at Melee; give me a break...)

Spife

Smash Master
Brawl players are overcompensating for what they don't have, much like people that buy Macs are overcompensating for the fact that they can't use a Windows machine without it telling them to screw themselves because they're an idiot.
Lulz or people using a windows machine cause they can't spend a day on the mac OS because it's frightening...or something. Seriously, a search bar on your documents and expose' >>>>>>>> what ever the hell windows has to offer.
Lies. I boot windows from time to time. Being able to record matches = sexy. As is being able to play games from this decade...plus iMovie (sucks by the way) is only a little better than WMM (I have yet to use WMM cause it crashes every time I drag a clip in -.-). For all those with poor reading comprehension: I'm saying a working program is only a little better than one that doesn't work

/macslaphappyfuntime

OT: Smash rox and i'll repspond to this with my melee enthusiast garble when I finish reading the thread.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
NesNoob's post about rock-paper-scissors with each having different amount of reward was very insightful, and i don't think was rebutted at all.

and equi was 100% that NesNoob wouldn't come up with something... right.

Renth

Smash Hero
You guys act as if bashing brawl will get others to believe...wow this game really does such woah! Have you ever thought that other people prefer the other game? stop being ignorant tards, and just stop bashing either game, whether you like it or not. Oh man brawl sucks umm...YEAH! Wow, intelligence at it's best on that one. How about you shut up and play the game you like? Jesus, its not hard to figure it out.
I hate it when people use the word ignorant incorrectly, we aren't being ignorant because we've all played for years and brawl since it came out. We don't "bash Bawrl" to get others to believe it does, it's a fact. Air dodge, Air dodge, Air dodge, to Trip! combo! well that was fun.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
i still fail to see why people can't have a discussion on smashboards without name calling or antagonizing the other party...it always stagnates the discussion, and makes the other party not listen to what one or the other has to say. in other news, i'm surprised to see this many pages since i posted yesterday.

@Afqui(If you are still reading this thread) - to the first point, yes, it is true that some people have come from other games that aren't melee, but in general, the number is quite low. the reason being is that highly respected people from other communities AND from the smash community just don't see the game as deep and involved. smash melee was seen as a bit of a joke to everyone else, but brawl is seen as an hour long HBO stand-up special. it's sad to say, but it's true. the point being is that people may have come from other games that you know, but how good are they? no offense to Afro at all, but I am a novice at GGXX. i just started my competitive career, and have been to only 2 tournaments. when i played Afro at Fast1, i beat him awfully at that game. just playing a game doesn't constitute knowledge of that game, or of what it takes to make a good competitive game. being skilled at them does, and i don't know how good Afro is at Brawl, as I have never played him. being skilled at these other games allows you to know what the elements are for a good game of the same type. a lot of people playing brawl right now know nothing else. they only know brawl. so if they only experience brawl, and they think that it is fun, then they are going to put those two together and believe that the game is good in all aspects. and i will agree, brawl is some fun. i like peach a lot in that game, and have been thinking about playing the game more just to see how far i can get with her. but, when looking objectively, there are things in the game that make the game faulty competitively. again, as an example, i will use a match i saw Afro in, as he seems to be one of FL's better players. he was playing against Seibrik, who also seems to be one of the better players. i saw Seibrik's Dedede use an unparalleled amount of spot-dodges, and Afro was unable to hit him most of the time. After that, it was changrab off of the stage, to edgeguard, to Snake's stock because he doesn't have 4-5 jumps like Dedede does. if that tactic can down one of your top players, because Dedede has close to a single frame of invulnerability, then isn't there something wrong with that?

for the next point, a lot of the competitive base for smash in general is young. considerably younger than the average for most other competitive fighters. with that being said, a lot of people who argue for brawl are the younger part of the smash crowd. not saying that this always applies, but you see where i'm going. continuing this, it goes into the next point. As Scar correctly, in my opinion, mentioned, Brawl is much more accessible to new fighting game players. Even someone who had an intrical part in making the game, Sakurai, mentioned that he wanted an extremely accessible game that anyone could win at, without feeling the heavy stress of competition. thus, it was made for a younger crowd. the point of the game is to sell copies and make money. making it more accessible to younger people is the way to go for that. if it's easier, then people will be more inclined to play it, and more willing to compete because they feel they can perform better easier. now, why is that? because the skill gap is lessened with outside factors. tripping is the age-old argument for this. in my personal experience, i lost a tournament to Reflex because of a trip, and ended up getting 5th instead of advancing. it was a close match, and i went to punish him for missing an attack. when i stepped forward, i tripped, and he smashed me. now, i couldn't imagine randomly falling prone in another fighting game. it would be disaterous no matter how you look at it. a game is less suited for competition when the programmers add outside factors purposely made to sway the fight away from the more skilled player. thus, this new, easily accessible game is, to a degree, killing the other community. the less skilled people in melee are going to brawl so that they can try to have a chance in a new game, instead of trying to get better at a game that they already are behind in. the skilled melee individuals see it as an opportunity to keep winning money because they can apply their already acquired skills to the new game. if all the people that were bad at melee or didn't play smash at all are going to play brawl, why not go take their money? that is their mentality, for the most part.

of course, they would not be playing the game if they didn't have fun with it, and that is the most important thing when playing a game. you need to do what you enjoy, and like i said before, i play brawl sometimes, and it can be fun. and, if you want to play it, frankly, there's nothing really wrong with that. but, if we are having a discussion about brawl vs melee, in terms of which is a more structurally sound game for competition, my vote goes to melee.

P.S. - i almost forgot that i wanted to address the remarks about 3rd Strike. yes, chun-li can camp, and she does it well, but there is quite a bit of risk to it. she has a fairly weak anti-air game, which yun and yang take great advantage of with dive kicks leading into combo/mindgames. at the same time, ken has a problem with her due to her slight range advantage and overall ground superiority, which he needs to exercise to win matches as well. but, he can destroy yun and yang due to shutting down their diving game with light shoryuken. yun is NOT better off camping, and is actually in his prime when on relatively heavy offense. you see, a fundamental difference is that there are walls in 3rd strike, so a person has limited space to run away. also, there is no dodge, air or spot, so when you do close in, you can put pressure on without fail. the more confined movement, along with parrying to guard while being able to move and keep them in attack cooldown, makes camping much less of an option.

Life After Death

Smash Champion
i play and own at brawl and i thinks its a trash piece of **** competitive game but its fun at least. i dont mind brawl being played as long its not the reason why melee is alot smaller now. cant believe such a trash game kileld a much bettter game competitively.

Renth

Smash Hero
i play and own at brawl and i thinks its a trash piece of **** competitive game but its fun at least. i dont mind brawl being played as long its not the reason why melee is alot smaller now. cant believe such a trash game kileld a much bettter game competitively.
Chops, Melee is for people who are determined to get good and to learn. Brawl is for all the kids that think pushing B twice is a combo.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
like i been sayin i totaly respect you should you choose to play brawl competitively but its a **** game in my opinion. i respect its community and all of it players its the game i hate. **** were my dogs @ back ya boy up **** brawl xD

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I understand with this point. And yes it'll lean more towards what you're saying. But there's a few intelligent people on these boards that do not need their join date to back them up.

let's say, if you signed up in 08, I'd still find you an avid Melee supporter without a doubt.

I don't know guess it depends on the argue/posters.
I signed up early 2008, been playing Melee since 2007. ;3

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
i still fail to see why people can't have a discussion on smashboards without name calling or antagonizing the other party...it always stagnates the discussion, and makes the other party not listen to what one or the other has to say. in other news, i'm surprised to see this many pages since i posted yesterday.
ur a idiot

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Brawl ****ed melee up for a while in Florida, but melee seems to be making a resurgance.

I mean the last melee gigs had 42 singles and 20 teams. That is about the equivalent to an average melee gigs back in the day. The biggest melee gigs was like 59 people so 17 off that mark isn't bad at all.

It also looks like gigs will be trying to have a melee and brawl tourney each month now thanks to last melee gigs great turnout.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
So do I, before I move up to Philly. D:

GA Peach

Smash Lord
ur a idiot
prime example of the leaders of tomorrow. this nation has great things in store for it, as we have kids like this to lead us to the gateway of tomorrow. since Kagesekan might think that i am serious, i will stop pretending to do so and be frank; you need to die in a fire, nothing you say is intelligent, insightful, or contributive, and i woe the day that you might actually breed

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
prime example of the leaders of tomorrow. this nation has great things in store for it, as we have kids like this to lead us to the gateway of tomorrow. since Kagesekan might think that i am serious, i will stop pretending to do so and be frank; you need to die in a fire, nothing you say is intelligent, insightful, or contributive, and i woe the day that you might actually breed
likewise, anyone who takes a forum seriously should be made impotent ASAP

GA Peach

Smash Lord
likewise, anyone who takes a forum seriously should be made impotent ASAP
it's not so much that i take it seriously as the fact that it just annoys me that even if someone did try to have a serious discussion about something, you or someone similar to you would just come in and say stupid, unnecessary things. it's simply obnoxious. the insult really doesn't mean anything, just the principle behind the comment, meant to disrupt.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
it's not so much that i take it seriously as the fact that it just annoys me that even if someone did try to have a serious discussion about something, you or someone similar to you would just come in and say stupid, unnecessary things. it's simply obnoxious. the insult really doesn't mean anything, just the principle behind the comment, meant to disrupt.
Maybe there are times to be serious, and sometimes to not be serious. I also think there are different places for that as well. For example, a discussion, should obviously be serious. If I haven't been serious, I apologize, maybe I am an idiot. Times not to be serious, I guess Game forum, like 4 word per story thread, but not too crazy I guess.

Leh

Smash Ace
DOTH THOU DESIRE THE POWER?

Seriously Grahf is a *******.

The coolest ******* ever, what a complete badass.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
I still play Brawl. I still PREFER Brawl. The only reason that Brawl hate bothers me is because the only people hating are the people that don't god**** play it, or at least aren't anything more than mediocre at it (not to say that they haven't tried). That's called prejudice, and that DOES bother me.
Brawl sucks. Here's a set from a recent tournament of me 3-0ing Bum in it with literally no prior DK experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq9Fv_CNsmA&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxOfE8x1xSA&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utwPNSWUKe0&fmt=18

:bee: The people hating on Brawl aren't just the ones who don't play it or people who are mediocre in it :bee:

Mew2King on AIM last weekend slightly paraphrased said:
Brawl is so fun. You have so many options. You can grab your opponent. You can hit them and hope they airdodge immediately instead of attacking and hope you can get a slight advantage from hitting them. Almost 1/4 as good as a combo
:bee:

GA Peach

Smash Lord
Maybe there are times to be serious, and sometimes to not be serious. I also think there are different places for that as well. For example, a discussion, should obviously be serious. If I haven't been serious, I apologize, maybe I am an idiot. Times not to be serious, I guess Game forum, like 4 word per story thread, but not too crazy I guess.
i'm all for fun, generally most of the time, but we were trying to discuss something. that's really all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom