• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Afro's thoughts on Melee Enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
melee takes more thought and alot more skill, than spot dodge punish and broken hitboxes...lets just say you can't just sit there and F-tilt everything...Brawl is fun but it isn't as deep as melee, Sorry just because they're your thoughts doesn't make them concrete, where's ginger with a witty comment...?

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
Your opinion is very well thought out but... well... Brawl is gay! Who like playing that gay game in all its gayness.

I love both of you, (Afro and Equi), so I am not going to argue anything other than people stop b*tching. Please do not present reasons why this game is great or why the game sucks. Play it, do not play it, and just move the hell on. I am tired of every thread degenerating into a flame war about how said game is not as good/ is better than, other said game simply because one person sucks at one of the said games. It is older than I am by now... and we all know this ***** is old! OLD OLD!

And has very big feet!

Equi

Smash Ace
melee takes more thought and alot more skill, than spot dodge punish and broken hitboxes...lets just say you can't just sit there and F-tilt everything...Brawl is fun but it isn't as deep as melee, Sorry just because they're your thoughts doesn't make them concrete, where's ginger with a witty comment...?
It makes them concrete when i back them up with facts and logical reasoning. Where as you just kinda posted **** with nothing behind it at all.

And yeah theres no broken hitboxes in melee, lol....

Equi

Smash Ace
Your opinion is very well thought out but... well... Brawl is gay! Who like playing that gay game in all its gayness.

I love both of you, (Afro and Equi), so I am not going to argue anything other than people stop b*tching. Please do not present reasons why this game is great or why the game sucks. Play it, do not play it, and just move the hell on. I am tired of every thread degenerating into a flame war about how said game is not as good/ is better than, other said game simply because one person sucks at one of the said games. It is older than I am by now... and we all know this ***** is old! OLD OLD!

And has very big feet!
On a unrelated sidenote.

Captain Commando hides in the back waiting for his moment to strike....

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Didn't you already see? I'm staying out of this for the most part, as I have little to no valid say or Melee or Brawl, really.

Call me out some more because you can't take a joke though, I don't mind. I forgot everything on the boards is SRSBIZNIZ all the time.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
True, but im merely correcting them. Enlightening them to the facts.

But do you not see a problem with people such as XiF, Zoro, or Renth telling us "brawl noobs" about OUR game when they dont even play it?
I'd believe what you're saying if I hadnt seen reflex vs m2k, or Seibrik vs lambchops. Isn't that supposed to be high level? Isnt that more effective than nyquil at putting me to sleep?

Look, Brawl is a terribly imbalanced fighter, that goes further beyond giving the attacker less advantages. It gives an imbalanced advantage towards playing defensively. Which does not make for a good fighter, nor does it make it more thoughtful because you have to think before you attack. It means that because I am almost never at an advantage when I attack, I shouldn't attack. The smart thing to do is not to think before you attack, its to not do it in the first place, unless your MK or snake where you're either too fast or your moves go through everything.

Good example of the opposite and how it makes for a good fighting game is Guilty Gear. Generally speaking, you want to attack. If you try to stay back and camp, you lose all of your tension, which is essential really to be effective with most characters. Staying back and spamming projectiles like gunflame and stun edge just doesnt work. It forces a fight, and a very deep and thoughtful one because you are forced to choose between this and that, think about whether they are gonna do this or that.

Not, "wait for them to come and start spamming down dodge to d smash with ROB, or down dodge to grab to insta-**** with Dedede."

Look, I dont want to name any names here, but half of the people i've seen get good at brawl were absolutely abysmal at melee, and it wasn't really a matter of it just wasn't their game. They were just downright dumb players, with no mindgames. Now its their time to shine with Brawl apparently.

No thought required.

And I suppose you can argue that since I don't play the game so I don't have as good an idea about the metagame as you all (even though I did play seriously up until about May, and I still play with and follow some of the top players.) I don't need that sort of personal support to my arguments (why should I need more than knowledge on the fundamentals to point out the fundamental flaws?) You can just ask people like Reflex, ChillinDude, Overswarm, etc...

Dumb dumb game.

It doesn't mean I hate or like you guys any less or more. It just means I think you play a bad fighting game.

Heck, I play melee, that's not a very good fighting game either.

Thats why I'm slowly losing myself to guilty gear

(even though I still suck :urg:)

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
Didn't you already see? I'm staying out of this for the most part, as I have little to no valid say or Melee or Brawl, really.

Call me out some more because you can't take a joke though, I don't mind. I forgot everything on the boards is SRSBIZNIZ all the time.
Okay, i'm sorry Ginger, your cool i wont bash you...I apologize for being an *** to u

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
I'd believe what you're saying if I hadnt seen reflex vs m2k, or Seibrik vs lambchops. Isn't that supposed to be high level? Isnt that more effective than nyquil at putting me to sleep?

Look, Brawl is a terribly imbalanced fighter, that goes further beyond giving the attacker less advantages. It gives an imbalanced advantage towards playing defensively. Which does not make for a good fighter, nor does it make it more thoughtful because you have to think before you attack. It means that because I am almost never at an advantage when I attack, I shouldn't attack. The smart thing to do is not to think before you attack, its to not do it in the first place, unless your MK or snake where you're either too fast or your moves go through everything.

Good example of the opposite and how it makes for a good fighting game is Guilty Gear. Generally speaking, you want to attack. If you try to stay back and camp, you lose all of your tension, which is essential really to be effective with most characters. Staying back and spamming projectiles like gunflame and stun edge just doesnt work. It forces a fight, and a very deep and thoughtful one because you are forced to choose between this and that, think about whether they are gonna do this or that.

Not, "wait for them to come and start spamming down dodge to d smash with ROB, or down dodge to grab to insta-**** with Dedede."

Look, I dont want to name any names here, but half of the people i've seen get good at brawl were absolutely abysmal at melee, and it wasn't really a matter of it just wasn't their game. They were just downright dumb players, with no mindgames. Now its their time to shine with Brawl apparently.

No thought required.

And I suppose you can argue that since I don't play the game so I don't have as good an idea about the metagame as you all (even though I did play seriously up until about May, and I still play with and follow some of the top players.) I don't need that sort of personal support to my arguments (why should I need more than knowledge on the fundamentals to point out the fundamental flaws?) You can just ask people like Reflex, ChillinDude, Overswarm, etc...

Dumb dumb game.

It doesn't mean I hate or like you guys any less or more. It just means I think you play a bad fighting game.

High level play is really much the same as low level play, just alot more spot dodging...trust me i know

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Okay, i'm sorry Ginger, your cool i wont bash you...I apologize for being an *** to u
I have nothing against you as a person or as a player, so it was a bit shocking to see you take such offense to a macro that was. . .to say the least, ridiculous.

On a slightly related note, you should put "Grabby's" full name, Sir Grabby McChainThrow deserves only the UTMOST respect!

Just so no one else gets offended at my being silly, I love Seibrik, I mean no disrespect, I just think it's a funnier name.

High level play is really much the same as low level play, just alot more spot dodging...trust me i know
No wonder I was atrocious at Brawl. :dizzy:

XIF

Smash Master
Did you not read our previous posts, we both play MELEE.
AGAIN
MAYBE IF WE ENLARGE THE TEXT YOU WILL UNDERSTAND.
WE BOTH PLAYED MELEE FOR YEARS

Do you STILL not understand?
I assume you have no knowledge of the game of brawl due to your pathetic posts which offer no reasoning (infact have YET to offer reasoning in ANY POST in this thread) and do nothing but what we have addressed in the OP.
You were all pretty terrible at it too. I know this was a while ago, because this made me chuckle.

PLEASE master NES n00b, explain to us why hitstun is VERY IMPORTANT for competitively play for anything other then flashy combos.

Im 100% certain,that you are not going to respond with anything intelligent at all.

Like all your previous posts.
Have you heard of the Puppet in Naruto 4? There's a reason why he's stupid and banned.

OH YEAH!

>_>;

Equi

Smash Ace

No thought required.

Dumb dumb game.

And how do you feel about third strike? Where the top characters (except ken) are better off starting the match by jumping back and spamming a SINGLE BUTTON? Where ALL CHUNLI DOES, ALL GAME is sit back and try to poke you to death. Yun is just as bad, anytime he can expect Yun to jump away and build meter for his ridiculous Super with the smallest super bar in the game.

Defensive Play does not equal bad for competition.
As for brawl being boring to watch, it is indeed boring to watch, again that doesnt mean its a bad competitive fighter. Third strike finals arent exactly the most fun thing to watch...

Ryan-K

Smash Master
brawl bashing wouldn't be necessary if you randomly made threads like this flaming melee for the flaws it doesn't have.

if you're gonna bash a game at least be right about what's wrong with it.

this is why so many people hate the brawl community

hey, i'll just do what you do and generalize the whole brawl community based on your own stupidity and ignorance about melee, equis, then cry when people do the same thing back and then cry about how people are immature by reigniting a fight that I supposedly want to end.

third strike gives you options at least, you can parry into super or do whatever

if you knew what you were talking about you would realize top level qs and hugos do good against top yuns and chun lis

but hey don't let a little thing like facts get in your way lil trooper

also you can punish in third strike, making a mistake in brawl means nothing unless you are right next to them at killing percent, or can get chaingrabbed

i'll just do what equis is doing and use this thread to conclude that 100% of brawl players are idiots based on what like 5 people have said.

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
I have nothing against you as a person or as a player, so it was a bit shocking to see you take such offense to a macro that was. . .to say the least, ridiculous.

On a slightly related note, you should put "Grabby's" full name, Sir Grabby McChainThrow deserves only the UTMOST respect!

Just so no one else gets offended at my being silly, I love Seibrik, I mean no disrespect, I just think it's a funnier name.

No wonder I was atrocious at Brawl. :dizzy:
LOL, Ginger is awesome, so his name is Sir Grabby McChainThrow...I'll be sure to remember that, i don't dislike anyone in the community, i just like having fun, i just hate it when people's ego gets outrageous so i act like mine is so much bigger, like saying I AM THE BEST!!! LOL

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
I wish you spotdodged more vs me, it'd be even easier for me to win.

So much wrong in a single post....

--Afro
I'll just play D3 and i bet you'll spot dodge at least 50 times per minute...Guaranteed :laugh: like i said alot of spot dodging watch a match with snake vs D3 and count D3's and snakes spot dodges you'll b amazed

Equi

Smash Ace
Im actually posting hes telling me what to post with me chiming in here and there.
Mixed with Xenogears.

Yo chuchu for worst party member.
Good for gear fights, bad for everything else.

Equi

Smash Ace
I'll just play D3 and i bet you'll spot dodge at least 50 times per minute...Guaranteed :laugh: like i said alot of spot dodging watch a match with snake vs D3 and count D3's and snakes spot dodges you'll b amazed
Which is why i lose that matchup vs d3, watch lambchops and he rarely spotdodges, since hes a better snake then i am....

And please go d3, free win for me.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Im actually posting hes telling me what to post with me chiming in here and there.
Mixed with Xenogears.

Yo chuchu for worst party member.
Good for gear fights, bad for everything else.
Okay, was just curious :) Carry on!

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
Guess the brawl bashing is over because we (brawl N**BS) ruined this thread arguing...well time to play Halo, i'll check this thread later, let me go practice my spot dodges and grabs

Equi

Smash Ace
brawl bashing wouldn't be necessary if you randomly made threads like this flaming melee for the flaws it doesn't have.

if you're gonna bash a game at least be right about what's wrong with it.

this is why so many people hate the brawl community

hey, i'll just do what you do and generalize the whole brawl community based on your own stupidity and ignorance about melee, equis, then cry when people do the same thing back and then cry about how people are immature by reigniting a fight that I 'supposedly want to end.

third strike gives you options at least, you can parry into super or do whatever

if you knew what you were talking about you would realize top level qs and hugos do good against top yuns and chun lis

but hey don't let a little thing like facts get in your way lil trooper

also you can punish in third strike, making a mistake in brawl means nothing unless you are right next to them at killing percent, or can get chaingrabbed

i'll just do what equis is doing and use this thread to conclude that 100% of brawl players are idiots based on what like 5 people have said.
I never based a entire community off of 5 people, i addressed the specific people lol...
Yep top level q's and hugo's do so good that you always see them in grand finals or semi finals (atleast not in america). And i've gone over punishing in brawl, you arent very knowledgeable in the game if you think you cant do anything out of a punish.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Barwl sucks.

Melee is better.

It's in the bible.

Barwl is the Anti-Christ.
seriously, shut up will you? and learn how to spell dammit!

Oh, and Melee has no flaws.
again your stupidity shows. melee has flaws. too many to be exact. like a completely unbalanced character roster, glicthes, etc. it wasn't supposed to be that way in the FREAKIN 1ST PLACE!!!

dude this isnt an english composition essay, we dont like it cuz its simpler aka dumbed down aka scrub like aka no L cancel aka no hitstun aka cheap aka simple i could go on for a while but the point has been made, it lacks all the things that made melee amazing
what part of it wasn't supposed to be that way don't you get? sakurai made the biggest mistake of his life, making melee the way it is. if he hadn't rushed it, it would probably be more balanced than it is now. no glitches, no wavedashes, etc. and knowing sakurai's casual nature, it wouldve been just like brawl.

Brawl and Melee are both amazing games, I could easily see how both games readily have tournaments near your area, Tink. :)
you and equi are the only 2 on this thread to have any sense whatsoever. thank you. yes both games are amazing, but some (if not most) people just have to bash one of them just cause it wasn't made the way they were hoping for. its like thats all they can do in their life.

Im 100% sure that this thread accomplished what it needed to. One part of which is to show just how stupid some people in the community really are. I do find it hilarious that you are quick to say my opinion is worthless as if yours is on some higher level then mine? Or anyone's is higher then anyone's else? It would be hard for the problem to get any worse then it is, no one confronts it. Everyone just lets it slide here or there but when someone posts back its "this is pointless".

Feel free to explain the immaturity line, or maybe you'll that it didnt make sense in the first place.

I guess i should not of literally said no one, as i really only meant that I (myself) am not saying that anyone in particular is bad at brawl. Anyone can get good at brawl (or melee) if they are willing to put time into it.
equi, look man, you're wasting your time with these nobodies. they won't make any sense, just as long as they get to flame you or mess with you. they think melee is better, let them. melee won't last forever. if they don't like brawl, then either stick with melee and quit bashing it, or go make themeselves another smash bros. game if they want it the way they want it. just ignore them. they won't ever get it. brawl is here and theres nothin they can do about it.

i just don't get why they bash brawl so much, and yet i've never seen one post of bashing smash 64, since brawl is more closely related to that. you don't have to bash it, just don't play it if you don't like it!!! its not a hard concept to understand! seriously, its not the end of the world. get a grip people, its just a game!!! (see what you did sakurai?)

XIF

Smash Master
And how do you feel about third strike? Where the top characters (except ken) are better off starting the match by jumping back and spamming a SINGLE BUTTON? Where ALL CHUNLI DOES, ALL GAME is sit back and try to poke you to death. Yun is just as bad, anytime he can expect Yun to jump away and build meter for his ridiculous Super with the smallest super bar in the game.

Defensive Play does not equal bad for competition.
As for brawl being boring to watch, it is indeed boring to watch, again that doesnt mean its a bad competitive fighter. Third strike finals arent exactly the most fun thing to watch...
Please please please go to a 3rd strike tournament and try to spam fireballs and fierces with chun li and see where it gets you. It's such high risk camping, forget forcing yourself into a wall like that, you're giving them free meter if you start spamming the same attack. (lol parry). Not only that, you can eventually corner them. Not the same in brawl. Lemee just grab the ledge and be invincible for a season.

My previous comment got taken out some how, but you're comment about playing Melee competitively was funny, because you were all terrible at it.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Xif covers what i said here earlier better than i did

By the way, in regards to the hitstun necessity

Equi

Smash Ace
Agreed.

The "camping" in games like third is still fairly high risk camping, unlike brawl where punishment is minimized unless you're a character that has stupid stuff like chaingrabs that you can't escape out of regardless of your DI.

By the way, in regards to the hitstun necessity

Fairly high risk? Some characters have such a hard time getting in on Chun Li, theres no way they can get in without putting risk on themselves.

Like Dudley vs Chun Li. Everytime Dudley wants to land an attack he has to put himself at high risk. Whether it be to being poked or Anti Air'd.

Equi

Smash Ace
Please please please go to a 3rd strike tournament and try to spam fireballs and fierces with chun li and see where it gets you. It's such high risk camping, forget forcing yourself into a wall like that, you're giving them free meter if you start spamming the same attack. (lol parry). Not only that, you can eventually corner them. Not the same in brawl. Lemee just grab the ledge and be invincible for a season.

My previous comment got taken out some how, but you're comment about playing Melee competitively was funny, because you were all terrible at it.
I, WATCHED, Flashmetroid spam a single move to build up meter at the beginning of matches.

At impact clash, you were there as well.

Please get your **** outta here.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Not going to go into the character specific stuff (unless you seriously want me to, but we would seriously never leave this thread if we both got deep into characters)

I think the mindset you have is that hitstun is required for a good competitive game, when its not. Being able to space better then your opponent to land more safe moves is a skill in its own and requires thought and knowledge of your character. Though snake is a bad example of follow-ups because hes pretty powerful, think of a character like wario, wolf or mk. Wario for example wants to try to punish with bite as often as possible, as it always leaves him with the advantage, and against some characters another free hit that still leaves him with stage advantage + better positioning and such. Its the same for Wolf's Dthrow and pretty much all of MKs attacks (lol). Despite the lack of hitstun, these attacks still leave the attacker at the better advantage for a followup.

Brawl is not only landing your safe moves, and thats what im trying to point out. There are plenty of moves (like the ones i listed and many more) that leave the attacker at the advantage through positioning. Some even set up for kills like snake's Dthrow.

Brawl is not just poking and running, knowing how to take advantage of every hit is part of the metagame.

The problem is that there are a lot less options and very little to learn about followups. I can get into more than hitstun with what is wrong with Barwl from edgeguarding, to stale moves, to sheild stun and release compared to approachs, speed (yes speed makes a game deeper and requires more than faster reflexes and better tech skill to get better at a faster game), the difference between barwl chaingrabs and melee chaingrabs, to less movement options, to platforms playing a lesser part of the game, and to more total counter matchups (which are in Melee but at least it isn't nearly across the board).

Like I said less options for the followups. Plus, these kinds of things happen in Melee, too. When you are "following" up in barwl it is usually predicting when someone will airdodge, double jump away, or attack when coming from above and that happens in Melee except it is more balanced in this regard as if you put someone in a bad position they should be in a position that is worse off than in Barwl.

If you want to pick one of the things on my list I will maybe respond later to how those things in Barwl are worse than Melee's aspects in those areas. At least ledgegaurding isn't that bad in Barwl.

Edit: LOL at nobodies I might be a nobody at teh meleez and barwls
super lawl
but i don't think that everyone in here is a nobody. I am pretty sure.

XIF

Smash Master
I, WATCHED, Flashmetroid spam a single move to build up meter at the beginning of matches.

At impact clash, you were there as well.

Please get your **** outta here.
Flash Metroid is also not a japanese player, making him insta-fail in the grand scheme of things.

Look, I know you can camp in other games.

I know people like Old Sagat in Super Turbo can sit there and tiger shot a whole bunch.

But it's also considerably (read 100000 times easier) to approach than in Brawl. And you can actually punish when you get in there. Chun Li has a weak anti-air game in 3s, so you can use that against her. There are things to do. What can you do against laser spam with Falco with most characters? LOL at the entire bottom half of the cast.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Fairly high risk? Some characters have such a hard time getting in on Chun Li, theres no way they can get in without putting risk on themselves.

Like Dudley vs Chun Li. Everytime Dudley wants to land an attack he has to put himself at high risk. Whether it be to being poked or Anti Air'd.
Daigo vs John Choi in super turbo

HOAAAHOAAHOAAAHOAAAAA

hitstun is very important

Also, in regards to the first post, the anti-brawl debate has never been about egos, LOL

the top players in brawl are azen and mew2king, I dunno where i've heard those names before.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
I never based a entire community off of 5 people, i addressed the specific people lol...
Yep top level q's and hugo's do so good that you always see them in grand finals or semi finals (atleast not in america). And i've gone over punishing in brawl, you arent very knowledgeable in the game if you think you cant do anything out of a punish.
top level hugos and qs beast on chun lis and **** too

just because they dont make it to gfs doesn't mean they aren't compensating for the bad matchup with their skill

it's pretty hard to get consistent tournament rankings with a character on a grand scale when not many people play them

ok, so you can hit them for like 12% if they **** up, wow that's amazing.

Equi

Smash Ace
The problem is that there are a lot less options and very little to learn about followups. I can get into more than hitstun with what is wrong with Barwl from edgeguarding, to stale moves, to sheild stun and release compared to approachs, speed (yes speed makes a game deeper and requires more than faster reflexes and better tech skill to get better at a faster game), the difference between barwl chaingrabs and melee chaingrabs, to more movement options, to platforms playing a bigger part of the game, and to less total counter matchups (which are in Melee but at least it isn't nearly across the board).

Like I said less options for the followups. Plus, these kinds of things happen in Melee, too. When you are "following" up in barwl it is usually predicting when someone will airdodge, double jump away, or attack when coming from above and that happens in Melee except it is more balanced in this regard as if you put someone in a bad position they should be in a position that is worse off than in Barwl.

If you want to pick one of the things on my list I will maybe respond later to how those things in Barwl are worse than Melee's aspects in those areas. At least ledgegaurding isn't that bad in Barwl.
I agree with tech skill allowing for a better game, which is why melee is superior to brawl. No one doubts this. I still prefer Brawl though. But realize that there are follow ups in brawl to. Because of the lack of hitstun its simply harder to perform, for each hit you have to predict the opponent which i believe is harder to pull off then a guarenteed combo.

Hm yes we can continue this over AIM or something (or i'llj ust post later) but ill never get to disc 2 in xenogears at the rate im playing.
Billy is broken, guns? WTF 2 gud 2 gud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom