• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adjusting the Damage Ratio to 1.1 for Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
hey guys me again, don't know why I'm so into this idea. guess its cause I'm too optimistic.

I'll just give you a little run down on some characters position on a 1.1 tier list. I'll only use 5 tiers though to make it simplistic.

remember this is over 3 days of testing but most of it will make sense if you try it out. the characters are in no particular order in the tiers

Top: Snake, MK, Marth
High: Wolf, Fox, lucario, DK, wario, ICS, Diddy, Luigi, peach,
mid: D3, Ike, falco, Sheik, ROB, Yoshi,
low: ganon zelda ness, lucas
bad: link jiggs, mario, samus, falcon, bowser

anyone not listed I'm not able to test properly because I don't know how to play them right.

enjoy

bleyva

Smash Ace
wow, how does ganon get such a huge boost from 1.1? 0.o

also surprised to see mario and samus are still apparently garbage.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's no way MK is #2 when really the only nerf he gets is tornado, and it's still a completely viable tool to use.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
whoo wolf becomes something worthwhile without all the cg's :)

too bad this isnt how brawl is normally.

AwesomeObliterator

Smash Rookie
Every now and then I check these boards to see whats going down. Seems like something is worth chattin' bout so here goes.

Do you think that 1.1 creates a more condensed tier list? These balances won't mean jack if the good become gdlk and the ****ty become ****tier.

Also how do you feel the MK match-up changes for most characters? Sure he gets K.O.'d faster but so does everyone else. Also his opponents are going to wind up off-stage at a greater rate, so wouldn't this put a greater emphasis on his gimping game, especially since his attacks have more knockback?

I do believe that this removes any stock-tanking potential MK has, because there is no way he is ever going to survive past 80% in this mode. So what if he's ungimpable, he's a freaking paperweight now.

Finally has anyone tested the effects of momentum stalling in this mode? Is bucket-braking still awesome?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
You said that even the slowest Melee match is just as fast if not faster than the fastest Brawl match.

So, no.
It's opinionated, so why not.

I tried the 1.1 thing in a few matches with a friend (:metaknight:), i can honestly say this takes MK down a few notches.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Why 1.1 and not any other ratio though? I am very curious as the reasonning why 1.1 is that much better than 1.2 or 0.9 .

If you can prove its definitely more competitive, I might try it.

Kiru

Smash Cadet
Idk about Lucario being so high... I think right below Diddy or IC's would be the best fit.
There's no way MK is #2 when really the only nerf he gets is tornado, and it's still a completely viable tool to use.
He's 2 because Snake is much, much better...
"the characters are in no particular order in the tiers"

Please actually read the post. He said that within the tiers there is no order. That means snake is not better than MK, Lucario is not particulaly so high in his tier, and ganon is still probs lowest for the tier.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
hey guys me again, don't know why I'm so into this idea. guess its cause I'm too optimistic.

I'll just give you a little run down on some characters position on a 1.1 tier list. I'll only use 5 tiers though to make it simplistic.

remember this is over 3 days of testing but most of it will make sense if you try it out. the characters are in no particular order in the tiers

anyone not listed I'm not able to test properly because I don't know how to play them right.

enjoy
I disagree with:

Marth. I don't see why he's suddenly a tier better than for example Diddy.
Falco. He cant chaingrab but he's still a pain in the ***, and he still has his annoying lasers/dair/jab/dthrow even though it cant chain.
Ness. Mid imo.
Ganon. Switch with Jiggs or something.

Everything else seems agreeable.

:052:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Why 1.1 and not any other ratio though? I am very curious as the reasonning why 1.1 is that much better than 1.2 or 0.9 .

If you can prove its definitely more competitive, I might try it.
anythingwith lower knockback (.9 DR) means the game will become much more campy. but that alone doesn't make it uncompetitive, I know. but you have to think about this; why not camp? they can't kill you until 200% they'll have a chance to mess up. and that is fine but then apply it to this; why not PLANK? they can't kill you until 200% ON THE LEDGE! if I have a stock lead and am on the ledge as MK I have so much room for error it isn't even funny. I wouldn't care if I got hit with snake's grenade because it wouldn't kill me. this would cause games to run even LONGER than they already do. time out would be common place and prove to much of a hassle to finish a tournament on time.

with anything above 1.1 you literally think the game is a joke. snake's up-tilt kills at 70% on HIMSELF. luigi kills at 50%. DK at 40%. and some characters such as falco and pikachu become useless, which is uncompetitive to completely favor one type of character. IMO

1.1 is just right. campyness can still happen. chaingrabs still works.no character becomes useless and many characters become more viable.

don't be too harsh on my argument, I' a terrible debater

•Col•

Smash Champion
It's opinionated, so why not.
Opinionated...? Wait, you're not saying that match I linked to could still be considered by someone to be faster than the fastest Brawl match... Right? Because if you are, I just have one thing to say....

.......... Really?............... Really? ................................... REALLY?

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
thats what ive been saying lol

1.1 doesnt really seem to nerf lucario, since he can still kill early and die early like everyone else, and the stock mechanics along with aura power are still the same so even if he got gimped he'll be able to kill even earlier

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
lol, "and they said lucario was going to be worse".

btw I looked at ripples tier list, theres alot of things inaccurate but i'll get to that later.

comboking

Smash Master
Lucario is beast. Combos Ike like crazy. Videos coming soon.

Ren this is the best idea I have heard in a long time.

Lucario is beast. Combos Ike like crazy. Videos coming soon.

Ren this is the best idea I have heard in a long time.
I haven't started splitting any of the videos yet. Just tell me which ones you like from the compressed videos I've sent you.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
its not really a reliable CG to begin with even in 1.0 you can break out of it pretty easily[even when up against a wall]

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
guys
Lets do a brawl tournament with 1.1s and stop speculating. It would be nicer to see what characters actually work, rather than us just wondering which characters are worse.
Remember when we thought zelda was good because of her fireballs and fmash?
yeah
that didn't turn out well
go

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Can someone explain how MK would not be first with the DR at 1.1?
tornado is not as abusable. and 1.1 gives a slightly bigger buff to characters that have fast strong moves like snake, marth, and DK rather than characters that have fast weak moves like MK and pikachu

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
this man has obviously never seen teh spammerer play melee.
I have not.

I have not. That was an incredible match. Stalling in that game was some of the best i've ever seen.

Opinionated...? Wait, you're not saying that match I linked to could still be considered by someone to be faster than the fastest Brawl match... Right? Because if you are, I just have one thing to say....

.......... Really?............... Really? ................................... REALLY?
Really.

Ignore my opinion if you're attempting to take it as a harsh opposition towards Brawl.

meh, ignore the troll colaya he's not worth it lol
^^
This, even though i wasn't really intentionally trolling.

its not really a reliable CG to begin with even in 1.0 you can break out of it pretty easily[even when up against a wall]
This. Lucario's Side+B CG isn't too reliable, especially when your %'s are too high to begin with.
People with Nairs like Peach can actually be threatening to even doing this CG, let alone at 1.1
guys
Lets do a brawl tournament with 1.1s and stop speculating. It would be nicer to see what characters actually work, rather than us just wondering which characters are worse.
Remember when we thought zelda was good because of her fireballs and fmash?
Are you implying we should play WiFi?

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
this would make DIing out of MK's F-air even easier I presume

Clutch

Smash Rookie
I've been gone over a year and this idea was floating around back then lol

Tmacc

Smash Lord
It's definately an interesting idea, but really, I'm skeptical about how much of a chance people are going to give it.
It would drastically change the game, almost to the point where we would be completely starting over. I don't think people are going to accept that change very readily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom