• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new home skin for Smashboards

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
Not sure if this has been addressed yet:

Notice the User CP and stuff.
Strangely enough, before it finishes loading the page, it appears fine, but when it finishes loading, it turns into that.

I'm on Xubuntu 10.10, Google Chrome 10

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
How is lowering the maturity level alienating older users? It limits them, but doesn't alienate them.

BAD ANALOGY TIME!

actually **** the analogy.

The site is based for the Smash Community, however on a even deeper scale, is based towards children around the age of 13. Because of this, we have to abide by rules that allows this site to be safely browsed by 13 year old smash members.

This doesn't alienate older users at all, all it does is limit them.

So while you guys might think the new site is dumb, it's large buttons do help younger members, who are less inclined to actually figure out things on their own, know where to find important things.
So much wrong in this post, Roxy. Just because this game is aimed at ages 5-17 doesn't mean it should look like it. Remember SWF is supposedly aimed at people interested in the technical and competitive aspects of the game, it's something more than a general board about the game (see Gamefaqs). A 13 year old looking for Action Replay cheats is probably not gonna come here.

Agreed on that it doesn't alienate the old users, but there's no need to limit them either.

I disagree 100% with you on that last paragraph.
"help younger members, who are less inclined to actually figure out things on their own, know where to find important things." Really? :/
It's nice making things easier to find, but that's why there's a Search feature.

Agreed 98% with Overswarm. Bring Revolution back!

Purple

Hi guys!
If that was the case the case, there wouldn't be sections that ar completely unrelated to competitive brawl such as mario, legend of zelda, pokemon, etc. on to of that there are general brawl discussion threads that discuss the uncompetitive aspect (although it's probably small)

I understand that looking for it yourself build all sorts of character and all of that (plus it saves others time giving a viable helpful answer) trust me i do, but theres no reason not to make it easier , for members. If you can think of one id be happytohear it.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Roxy are you trying to say that the aesthetics issues being brought up help newer users find things faster? I highly doubt that new and younger users had a hard time finding something because the buttons were too small. 13 year olds can read you know, they find things by reading them. You wanted to know where brawl general discussion was? You go to the forum labeled, by golly gosh, brawl general discussion! Some big button doesn't help a 13 year old find that any faster. The site is very easy to navigate as long as you can freaking read. You want to know where something is? Read the title of each subforum, they are very intuitive and always have been. Unsure if something belongs in General Discussion or in Tactical and Gameplay? Read the descriptions right under, or better yet, click them and see what each forum entails. Navigating the forum isn't hard, and it really in no way makes the site easier to navigate.

i also have no idea how your point about other parts of forums have anyhting to do with what Morrigan said. Yes, there are other parts to the site, but the main focus of SMASH world forums is to focus on competitive smash. Smashers also tend to have common interests so new boards not related to smash were implemented for them to converse about other things in. The only case I can think of someone joining smashboards not for smash is to play mafia, and that's only on recommendation from someone who joined smashboards because of smash.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I was very surprised when I came to Smashboards on the uni computers, hadn't realised this skin had been incorporated over 'Revolution' as on my usual PC I use "Smash Blue".

First impressions it was very colourful, looked slick enough. Gave it a chance but after the 3rd time however I switched the skin back to 'Smash Blue'. Thank god "Smash Blue" hadn't been removed <3

Please give users a choice. Leave 'Vibrant as the default if you must, just fix a few things other players have mentioned. Bring 'Revolution' back.
Overall well done on most aspects, just a 'few tweaks needed here and there. Kudos.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Although I would like to have Revolution back as an option, Vibrant has been looking fine so far. Idk if it might be my browser/OS (using Safari on Mac). The banner is rather contrasting and large though.

Smashers also tend to have common interests so new boards not related to smash were implemented for them to converse about other things in. The only case I can think of someone joining smashboards not for smash is to play mafia, and that's only on recommendation from someone who joined smashboards because of smash.
And to add to this, just about every forum I've been on has a general discussion subsection, so it'd actually be unnatural for a forum to not have one.

Tero.

Smash Champion
The header is looking like my 4 year old brother just started using paint.
U kidding?

Like srsly...
(I don't have a brother)

U MAD SWF

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
A little note.

It's really hard to tell the difference between "threads with no new posts" and "hot threads with no new posts." The icons have way too similar shades around them.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Thanks for your detailed response, iRJi :)

1) The ratio of the main logo to the site is not proportionate. I know in majority cases you would want to put the logo as the biggest thing, with it standing out the most, but even the logo size is too big. My personal opinion, you could have made the logo even better just by putting the smashboards name under the logo icon, and just having the icon sit over the name.

Simply put, it would be in your best interest to shrink down the logo in size too if you want to keep it justified left on the page. Having the logo big is one thing, but having it take up half the banner of the header is another. It looks pretty lazy imo.
I don't really think it's disproportionate since it matches the size of the rest of the header. If you think it's too big though, it is technically about 30px higher vertically than the "average banner", but that's more-or-less changing lately as well. I'll consider it though. Not sure what you mean to say it's lazy?

2) There is quite a bit of redundancy going on with some icons. Going back to the logo, it is a universal method to have the logo be one of the standard home buttons (Rollovers) to take you back the main page, but not only do you have 2 ways to get back to the main page (Which by all means isn't bad) you put them on the same line (Which, in this case is bad) AND you distorted the picture in it (The d3 picture for the Boards button is not in ratio. You have it squeezed in, and the icon in it's self looks distorted.

Also, I wouldn't call it "Boards" I would call it "Main page" or "Home". To call it "boards" is silly because the whole site is the boards. All the other sections are sub sections.
The D3 picture is the correct scaling ratio, not sure what you mean by saying it's distorted. I don't agree that the redundancy is bad since a lot of people will likely use the 3 icons for navigation primary, but the banner is often a back link to the homepage. This doesn't really clash or get in the way with anything since the banner would be there anyway.

3) I personally do not mind that you tried to add more flavor with colors. In fact, I commend you for the effort. However, adding more then 4 colors and trying to get a lively feel, while still maintaining professional appearance (Or even a kids appearance) mainly never works, especially if you are using the extra colors for icon and buttons.

Starting from the top, I love the fact that you chose a white header. It gives the eyes an immediate rest from the blocks of gray. (For everyone who does not get what I am trying to get at here, when you bunch colors together for an extended period of time, your eyes merges objects together that are close or similar to the same colors. Because of this, it can actually make reading things just a tad bit harder because your mind merges things together. One way of breaking that from happening is to put a color that is almost opposite from the colors used, AKA: A rest point or negative space.)
THANK YOU for understanding why the banner works. There are a lot of people who "know about web design" who seem to be convinced that two tone/inverted/negative space on the banner is "terrible" or "breaks rules". In reality, it's a fundamental trick of graphic design, and it works very well. The banner / topbar is the strongest part of the design imo :)

The colors of the action buttons (AKA: Reply, Quote, etc) are all pretty bad. It's not just size, but the colors make them look like it jumped out of Barney. My real issue with the buttons is that they are floating in the corner instead of having any means of it "needs" to be there. My suggestion is that instead of putting them floating, justify them left of the box, and having them touch each other with at least a 2px boarder around each button. Give it a roll over of a lighter gray to signify that you are highlighting it. That would give it more meaning then just fun colors floating trying to sing Sesame Street songs.
Admittedly, the post buttons were probably the most difficult part of the design, mostly because they have the job of tying in the colors / images everywhere else on the site with the forum (which by design is less customizable / colorful). They are definitely what I am most opened to criticism / suggestions on.

I'm not fully sure what you are suggesting there though, except that you think they should be gray and closer together with a rollover effect. Gray could definitely work, but in testing that proved to be too much gray.

I think perhaps a slight change to the color or maybe even just the way it's distributed would be best. Truthfully I would have to brainstorm quite a bit more on the subject before making any decisions on it, but I am of course very open to further suggestions.

I think the right-align is probably pretty set in stone since it's a standard for most forums and people would be very thrown off by a left-aligned post button menu.

4) I have a good eye for detail, as you may have known by this point. I am going to capitalize on that by pointing out that you gave a glowing effect to all names that give posts. I personally do not have that much of an issue with that glowing effect in that scenario, as it gives a more live feel to the page. My real concern is the glowing effect for all major titles and subforum names. You gave it too much glow, or the orange accent on the name does not work with the glowing effect. If you really want to differentiate the main forums and subforum names, decrease the glow effect but use a different font. That way it stays with the theme, and it doesn't look like a 10 year old who just knew how to use a glowing effect threw it together. Btw, By using a different font, you create the mindset of "if its in that font, its a major thing"
Normally I'm not super crazy about glow effects myself, but as a few people have brought up, Smash is a very colorful and bright game, so I think it's well-suited for this community given that it's about Smash, which you seem to agree with. I think it works really well for the forum titles.

Sub forums and primary forums use the same header designation, I'm not sure there is a need to differentiate them, although we could. But am I understanding you correctly that you think that subforums are more glowy or somehow look different than primary forums? If so, they are literally the same glow setting, actually. Or maybe I misunderstood you?

5) The one thing that I liked is that you took the original gray and went up a few shades. That is pretty impressive. You gave it almost the same feel, but made the boards look a bit happier rather then a "gloomy dark corner". Keep the gray, and grats on that choice.
Thanks, I assumed people would want something similar in terms of the forum's color.

6) I like the idea of having a section dedicated to the most important things on top. (AKA: The featured topics section) How ever, I feel you could have gone a bit further with that idea. For the main page, you could have made a 6 column grid with sections branching off. I don't like to compare sites often, but the way the MLG site is set up for the main page is what I am suggesting in this little section.
Do you mean with, say, pictures/news articles and such? If so, that's a broader issue that has to do with the fact that we have no news team to manage that content.

If its too much, then don't do it, but I like this section overall and I think you should keep it. Even the outline of dark orange was a smart choice as it stands out enough, but at the same time still fits into the theme.

7) The Blue user bar for shortcuts is underused. You could fit so much more on it, and I feel you should. My MAIN issue here is that you are not dividing the sections of the text, and because of that it looks like its all unified. Remember what I said about when you clump things of similar value together, it gets lost and makes it harder to navigate earlier? This applies here. The main goal of a navigation bar is to navigate your user, not just to the location, but in the fastest way possible. If I have to sit there and figure out where the button ends, then its no good. Separate them please.
I know what you mean. It's one of those compromises that you have to make for lower resolutions. If someone's running 1024px horizontally, that's literally all the text you can fit, and I don't want that bar to wrap down to another line because that would greatly change the look.

I agree it could be used for more text, but not without sacrificing the layout for people with lower resolutions, which obviously we don't want to do. Supporting lower resolutions creates these kinds of things, but you gotta do it :\

I could perhaps separate them better but I might have to remove a menu item to do it, since it's basically maxed-out on the available space as-is. I agree there should be a divider of some kind, but there's literally not much more space for it at the moment. I'll have to go over the menu items again, I suppose.

Notice the User CP and stuff.
Strangely enough, before it finishes loading the page, it appears fine, but when it finishes loading, it turns into that.

I'm on Xubuntu 10.10, Google Chrome 10
Admittedly, this will be difficult to test since I do not have that Operating System at my disposal. My guess is that it has something to do with a different text size stretching and maybe overflowing a div. I'll look into it though, thanks for the heads-up.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
I don't think Smash itself is about the bright colors: it just brings together a lot of games that use said bright colors (Mario, Animal Crossing, Kirby, etc.). There are still essences of darkness in Smash (Metroid, FD, Fire Emblem I would argue uses more faded colors rather than bright/dark colors), and I personally think there's more of a mix of the two.

That said, I still don't see why that philosophy spills over to those glowing letters. Sharp, crisp text in a "bright" color should work just fine in that case.

D

Deleted member

ok seriously who thought smash is about bright colours and rainbows? look at melee for a second, not bright colours and rainbow there.
as for the buttons, I suggest picking one colour instead of four (huh four? edit button). saturation might be dialled back a bit but that's just an opinion.

as for the font glow, how is this well suited for ANYONE:

another suggestions for the buttons:
add an icon to report or remove all icons, it just looks inconsistent. also, edit and quote have a lot of margin on the side while the other 2 buttons have none

rhan

Smash Hero
Is it possible to bring back the gold and clear smash symbols that represented if there was a new post in the forum or not?

Those looked much better then an ! or a check mark..

MetalMusicMan

Is it possible to bring back the gold and clear smash symbols that represented if there was a new post in the forum or not?

Those looked much better then an ! or a check mark..
I'm with Rhan on that. The new symbols... They just don't look as good. They also aren't smash-related.
Absolutely not bringing those old icons back, but it's been brought up that the Smash symbol would work better than !, etc., so I will be looking into that in the next day or so.

@TPK

The Info page is mostly there to bring attention to the really important stuff that new people need to know, which it accomplishes. Admittedly though, it had far less time spent on it than some of the other sections, and I plan on revising it a bit at some point.

shanus

Smash Hero
What if the quote, reply, report buttons sat inside the user header inside of adding negative space on the bottom of each post? Then desaturate them a bit so they don't look quite as out of place on the black background?

The problem I find is that because a lot of users have large avatars, a lot of posts have a large header bar with a ton of negative space. For users with normal sized avatars, the headers are admittedly smaller. Is there any way we could either standardize the avatar size or something? Like if you look at MMM's post, and then look at TPK's post 2-3 posts down, look at the top bar negative space. I feel like something could be used in there, and maybe homes for a series of grey buttons could work there?

D

Deleted member

but most of the brawl/melee/64 section is right next to it on the sidebar.

overall I feel there area lot of redundant sections in the new elements. other things that come to mind are announcements being in the top box and the forum section right below it, tournament being in both the top box and the listing right below it on the info page, but also more minor things like the Reply button being there twice (quick reply and the yellow reply button).

the side and top box are also on locations they have no reason to be (go here for a second: http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=2499) and are also inconsistent between them (why does it say community tier list for 64, why is the melee ruleset missing etc.)

as third major thing is the extreme overuse of greyshades:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg258/paprika_killer/Naamloos-26.png
and there's also this random grey line at the bottom of the page.

MetalMusicMan

What if the quote, reply, report buttons sat inside the user header inside of adding negative space on the bottom of each post? Then desaturate them a bit so they don't look quite as out of place on the black background?

The problem I find is that because a lot of users have large avatars, a lot of posts have a large header bar with a ton of negative space. For users with normal sized avatars, the headers are admittedly smaller. Is there any way we could either standardize the avatar size or something? Like if you look at MMM's post, and then look at TPK's post 2-3 posts down, look at the top bar negative space. I feel like something could be used in there, and maybe homes for a series of grey buttons could work there?
It sounds like you have the top-oriented postbit? Actually, a lot of people (probably majority?) use the left-oriented postbit, so having the post buttons there is not an option.

If you haven't tried the left-oriented one, you can set it in your User-CP, I highly recommend it :)

If you like the top-oriented one, that's fine, but it's going to be prone to wasting vertical space and there's not much of a way around that :\

@TPK

I don't really think they gray shades are overused, there are generally a lot of shades for the various outlines of forums. It just gives it depth.

The dark outline of the theme selector / footer links is kind of odd because it's not actually coded in anywhere afaik. I think it's pulling it from one of the forum settings. It's scarcely noticeable as it is but it's worth tending to; I'll look into fixing it, which shouldn't be hard.

TPK said:
also more minor things like the Reply button being there twice (quick reply and the yellow reply button).
Wait, you're seeing a quick reply button?

TPK said:
the side and top box are also on locations they have no reason to be (go here for a second: http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=2499) and are also inconsistent between them (why does it say community tier list for 64, why is the melee ruleset missing etc.)
Actually the sidebar should only show up on Connect's landing page, iirc. That can be addressed. The Back Room leaders are actually who edit the side menu (it has a backend that Bionic setup), so it's entirely up to them what shows up in those menus.

D

Deleted member

orange fever has fine depth and only uses 2 grey shades and 3 orange shades ever.
maybe make the quote section like side postbit with a border like the border around the post.

MetalMusicMan

orange fever has fine depth and only uses 2 grey shades and 3 orange shades ever.
Gonna have to agree to disagree there :p

maybe make the quote section like side postbit with a border like the border around the post.
That's actually a very good suggestion, I'm not sure why I didn't already do that. I'll get on it.

Oh btw, sidebar is fixed so it's only on Connect landing page now (not on group pages).

Ah, it seems to be that the Social Groups landing page is designated the same as other group pages. I'll have to check with Bionic and see if there's a way to distinguish that.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
What if the quote, reply, report buttons sat inside the user header?
The report post icon is in the header on the other skins. It was intentionally taken out (which is likely to follow suit with the other skins) because of people mistaking it for a postbit icon.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
THANK YOU for understanding why the banner works. There are a lot of people who "know about web design" who seem to be convinced that two tone/inverted/negative space on the banner is "terrible" or "breaks rules". In reality, it's a fundamental trick of graphic design, and it works very well. The banner / topbar is the strongest part of the design imo
*facepalm*

Okay, Contrast 101:

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2010/09/fully-understanding-contrast-in-design/

There you go. Read up, it'll help a lot.

Does your banner contrast with the rest of the site? Do your buttons? Yes, obviously. You have a bright white banner with a plethora of colors vomitted all over it, all sitting atop a black and grey website. You have bright red, orange, blue, and green buttons on the same website.

Question: why?

Contrast is used for two main purposes: attention and beauty.

These things definitely aren't pretty; the colors work amongst themselves (sitting the buttons to the side, the colors complement each other even if they do belong in an Easter basket), but they don't work with a user-driven content shell. If you were producing the content you could probably make it work, but you're designing someting that can be acceptable only when there is no user interaction. In essence, your design of the banner and buttons are both naturally obtrusive.

This is a good webpage. Notice how he uses both shape, location, and color for contrast; currently you're only using color for contrast and haven't paid much attention to location or shape (don't tell me you did, the extent of your placement for these things is "where they were before, but bigger").

Where does your attention go? Immediately to "Bye-Bye Redirect". His content is accentuated by the contrast. What's more, it's a butler, not a salesperson. Do you want to know who this guy is? Want to read more about him? All of that is clearly labeled and easily found using only cardinal directions. Straight up, there's another colored text block. To the right? Widgets and whatnot. To the left? Navigation. Straight down? More content. If you drew lines with a straight edge across the page, you'd fine they don't lead to much "noise". Each direction has a clear indication of what you want to do once you know where they are, and for a first time visitor they start where he wants them to start and moves from there.

You with me so far?

Here's the website with some lines to help you visualize the sections as a designer would. Blue lines are for things that "make sense"; they fit with the rest of the website, making it cohesive. I did the lines by hand and without a ruler, but you get the idea.

The red lines are those that show things that don't "make sense"; they are independent variables and meant to be treated independently.

Now, to clarify, red doesn't mean bad. It means independent.

Which is normally bad.

Like this!

You've basically got 5 or 6 independent sections of the website all piled on top like Smashboards is some kind of sandwich made by a depressed minimum wage employee in a run down McDonald's with those bulletproof shields up. Fast and messy.

Now the last guy had only HIS content to worry about. He had two ways to look at it: how to make people see his content, and how people would see his content. You're designing for a forum which is a different monster; it involves users wanting to participate actively in creating user-driven content. This means while his website is a showpiece, yours needs to a machine. It needs independent variables to the site that are useful and accessible to all users.

Let's start at the top.

You've got this bigass banner.

You've made it a HUGE contrast to the rest of the site. Your eyes are naturally drawn to the banner.

Why would you want that?

Seriously, stop reading and write it down. "I want the banner to be the focal point for the user every time they visit Smashboards because ________"

Seriously, write it down. WRITE it. Don't think it. Have concrete evidence of your thought process so there is no cognitive dissonance here. Don't leave this post thinking "Psh, what does he know" and assure yourself you've already noticed all this. You didn't, or it wouldn't be live.

You got it? If you skipped ahead, you're not looking for improvements in the site. You're looking for an argument you can shut down, something that can indicate that YOU are right and WE are wrong, that you did an awesome job and you can go to sleep happy. If that's the case, close this browser and be ashamed of yourself.

If not, congrats! We're going to do some in-depth stuff. Fancy.

Starting from the top, here's your banner and it's conjunctive toolbar. Fullscreen, this is what most people should see.

Starting from the right, you've got some good stuff going in in regards to space. This kind of gets destroyed in anything but full screen, but it's really hard to do things like this in anything BUT a fullscreen mode. That's why most websites don't do things like this. People don't browse in fullscreen very often anymore. They have multiple windows open at any given time, and they stack them over other programs.

So, black mark on you there. You designed a car that can't make turns. Sure, it might look awesome on the salt flats going 300 mph in a straight line, but if its circumstances change it is no longer awesome.

That's a pretty big design overhaul needed right there.

BUT, in fullscreen the space looks good. The space to the right and the left is mostly synchronized (the scrollbar hurts it quite a bit; it should probably be moved slightly to the left because of that, but no biggie. This is one of those things that skips mention on paper because it doesn't appear until it is in a functioning browser window and suddenly your ratio is off).

Looking at the toolbar below, you find it lines up with the buttons above quite nicely. Good design for an independent section of your website. This doesn't fit with the rest of the site, as shown prior, but independently it is okay.

However, again, when not in fullscreen your ratio messes up. When viewing the "window space" on the right side, it fits perfectly other than the scrollbar. Ditto to the left. The ratio of the empty space inbetween them is acceptable, but if you're not in full screen it all goes to hell.

You've gotta pick one. Is your website fullscreen-only mode, or is it "cram all the options into a browser window"? Both can be acceptable depending on design, but you've implemented "cram" while designing for "fullscreen only". Pick, you can't do both successfully without making it look ugly.

So, independently, your banner and toolbar is more or less acceptable. Good job! It only needs tweaks towards perfection, which generally means "you're done".

This next picture shows that banner and toolbar with the actual website, which is where things immediately begin to fall apart.

Before I refer to the banner above again, let's get to the rest of this top section. Did I mention it's freaking huge? Because it is. Moving on.

On the right side again, I've forced some perspective for you. Does that look right? It shouldn't. Those lines/arrows coming out of the corners are being forced to be parralel when it should occur naturally. They don't actually "point" in the same direction; I'm forcing them to. That's why it seems a little off.

The blue lines show that the distance between both sides is accurate (which should be automatic), but that doesn't make it "pretty". Look at the orange line and how it progresses. Does that LOOK pretty? Because even when that line isn't there, that's how people interpret it visually. Your brain picks up on those things not quite matching.

So why doesn't it match? Did you want to draw attention to it instead of making it look nice? If you want to make it look nice, make the ratio the same between the ad and the bar below, or make the length the same between the bar below and the announcements bar. It's pretty easy and standard. But I'm going to assume you wanted to draw attention to it, because something that glaring can't be accidental.

Especially since you have a giant orange box around the announcements. I don't know why that's there, but that's plain ugly and pointless. Scrap it.

Which pencil do you notice?

Now look at the pens. Do your eyes constantly go back to that pencil, even if you don't want them to? That's the effect of contrast. Overuse of that kills a website.

Currently, anyone looking only at the top has TWO competiting elements: the announcement box that's irritatingly off, and the bar above. Only when scrolling until one of them are off the screen can you "get away".

The huge contrast between the white and blue and the dark black is unacceptable for what Smashboards is. If you want Smashboards to be a community site, you need a main page. Smashboards.com should take you to a main page with a banner and buttons and options and stuff, with one of them being the forum. If you want Smashboards to be a forum, which it has been since forever, you need to focus on the forum.

You are attempting to "sell" the banner at the top and the announcement box at the same time. Don't. We don't need to be sold on either of them.

Change the entire color scheme for the top banner. It should be blacks and greys, just like the rest of the site. That blue bar that changes colors each time you click on a button? Completely superfluous. It doesn't tell us anything. "Oh, my bar is green. That means I clicked on Connect". Well no ****, I just clicked on it. All that bar's color does is grant you some attention issues.

Again, blacks and greys. Don't add color where it doesn't need to be. Add different colors for different skins, but this site is predominately black and grey and you're just suddenly throwing paint on it saying "BRAWL IS COLORFUL". It isn't. Brawl HAS colors. It isn't colorful. It's actually the darkest and least vibrant of all the smash games so far, so I'm not even sure what you're getting at.

Oh, and this is just an aside, but that entire announcements box? That'd be WAY cooler and actually useful if it wasn't designed to be useless for anyone that doesn't want those exact things. Site announcements? There's already a forum for that RIGHT BELOW IT. Big tournaments? Eh, I guess. Doesn't matter much to me since I don't travel that far for tournaments. Most don't. Featured topics? Okay, I guess some people want to see things like that. Thumbs up on that one; that's a good way to spread good threads.

Would be cooler if you could maybe have those customized. It'd be cooler for me to see "Mafia", "Brawl Backroom" and "Featured Topics". That'd be perfect for me. Why can't I do that? Why is that not an option? That shouldn't be difficult to implement.

Hey, you could get rid that glaring bar on the side! With a "featured topics" list you could actually bring up those things on the side when they are relevant rather than having a link no one will click ever unless they are brand new. Maybe all that info could go in the, oh, Info page? Hell, if we can customize I'm sure all that stuff will pop up for the people it is relevant to. Did I mention that Melee and 64 aren't going to have those things updated ever? Because you just implemented a new feature based solely around dead content. I already did get rid of the bar in my pictures by using "user cp", and will continue to do so. It doesn't really make sense for that bar to exist.

Know why?

Because it was designed independent of the site, just like the banner, and then placed into the site that was already there.

Oh, and by the way? Use the same freaking fonts.

AND get rid of those giant icons next to the forums. -_-;;

But let's move on.

So, we've determined you have THREE competing elements all shouting to get the user's attention: The banner at the top, the advertisement below it, and the announcements bar below that.

This is too much vertically. Fix it. This is USER driven content. Not smashboards staff driven content. Fix it, shrink it, smash it. Make it smaller. This is why people hate ads. We put up with them because, come on. We have to, they pay for things. But you managed to put two of your own advertisements on the page for no reason.

Change the color scheme to where it doesn't contrast with the actual content, get rid of the bright orange banner around the announcement box. I get it, you want people to see. Well, this is an ******* salesperson's style. This is the kind of person that says "Hey, I know you don't care about this so we're going to MAKE you car! LOOK LOOK LOOK!".

Drop the attitude, be a butler. If we want to use those "boards info connect' buttons, we'll go ahead and look up there. If we want to use that giant announcement box, we'll look up there. They don't have to be surrounded in bright colors that make our eyes bleed.

Now we can FINALLY get to the actual content.

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong....

Oh, it's the giant freaking exclamation point.

Be a butler, not a salesperson. You know what I look for for "new posts"? A bold title. Which we already have. You know what I don't notice if I'm not looking for it? A bold title.

You know what is going to scream at me every time I open my User CP no matter what? Those red exclamation points. They are angry, they are loud, and I am NOT inviting them to my birthday party.

Those icons suck. Every last one of them, get rid of them, they're worthless. Maybe if you shrink them to 1/4th the size. Your icons should not be noticeable unless someone is looking for them.

You see that "poll" icon next to the Midwest SiiS5 tournament? You know how obtrusive it is? It isn't. it says "I'm a poll" if you're looking at it, and nothing else.

Look at how much better that is simply by removing them entirely. You have made negative progress in implementing those icons. They're large, they're garish, they're bright on dark, they are everything you don't want to do. If you disagree, go ahead and put glitter on them and make them sparkle because why the **** not.

We're ALMOST ready to get to the actual forum.

Except...

WTF. You have a "notices" popup box too? I just "noticed" that myself amongst all the noise. You should probably, oh, I don't know, put it in the OTHER giant notice box.

I HOPE that's just leftovers that haven't been accounted for. Pleeeeeease let it be leftovers.

Before we get to the actual posts, first some things you've said recently:

MMM said:
Normally I'm not super crazy about glow effects myself, but as a few people have brought up, Smash is a very colorful and bright game, so I think it's well-suited for this community given that it's about Smash, which you seem to agree with. I think it works really well for the forum titles.
Smash isn't a very colorful or bright game.

It uses elements from games that ARE colorful, but it isn't, by design, a bright and colorful game. It's actually the darkest and most subdued in the series and they added a lot of shading and shadows to this one.

Admittedly, the post buttons were probably the most difficult part of the design, mostly because they have the job of tying in the colors / images everywhere else on the site with the forum (which by design is less customizable / colorful). They are definitely what I am most opened to criticism / suggestions on.
No, they don't. The buttons don't have that job. You gave them that job. You gave them that job when you decided the top banner needed to have a bunch of Easter colors in it because you decided "hey, let's solidify Smash as a kiddie game. Anyone? Anyone?".

The buttons before were small and grey, and they did everything right. Yours are bright and garish and huge and do everything wrong.

The buttons need to not have contrast to the actual post. They should be noticeable when someone looks for them, but not when someone isn't. If you're reading a post and you see those buttons, those buttons are a failure because they're screaming "HEY, USE ME TO QUOTE" when they should be patiently waiting for you to ask them.

No, it isn't. Also, **** you for saying just because I like Smash it means I have to like bright colors and glow effects.

There's another picture of a game I play. Whaddaya know, Smashboards is filled with people that play Smash and do other things. We're also predominately males. OLDER males. Like, teenagers and above. I'm 25. Most of the smash scene in Ohio is in their 20s.

Competitive Smash isn't a kiddie game. Stop treating it like it is. You should be a member of this community so I don't know how you forgot that and, frankly, you should be ashamed for not thinking "will advertising Smash as a kiddie game hurt the competitive scene".

Thanks, I assumed people would want something similar in terms of the forum's color.
But then you changed everything else. -_-;;

Personally, I liked the darker colors because it wasn't as ****ing bright. But that's more personal preference than anything, so I won't garrote you over it. But still, I want Revolution back. Like, as it was. No changes.

And as others have said, the font glow? Whoever thinks that is a good idea for anything that needs to be read probably drank bleach with their cereal as a child.

I know it can be hard to design text and colors and whatnot because you don't actually read it. You know what it says so you gloss over it. For people trying to read it? Annoying as hell.

Now to the actual posts.

There's a post for you.

Wait, what'd I do there?

Oh, I moved those giant ugly buttons to a place that isn't completely in the way which helpes prevent an excess of negative space (decreases vertical scrolling)! Progress!

Hmm... actually, trying to read that post, my eyes keep glancing towards those bright buttons at the top even though they aren't so huge anymore. Why would they do that? Well, let's look through the words... they're buttons... they're bright... Ah! They're bright. Got it. The only adjective we really have for them other than "colorful".

Ta daaaaa.

Now they aren't in your ****ing way all the time while you're trying to read actual content that you came for. I didn't even fix the background for the images, just rip, resize, and greyscale. They're not the right shades of grey and are on a block color background that doesn't synch with the header and they're still superior.

Of course, simply shrinking the buttons does a lot. But those colors? Freaking bright. Ditch 'em. You're on a black background. You want to use colors like that on things you want people to pay attention to and people DO NOT WANT to pay attention to those buttons. They want them when they want them, and they want them gone when they don't.

There's a brief lesson in contrast. Now hopefully you can understand why the banner doesn't work.

Oh, and I make money doing this too. But you know what? I'm not a professional at it because it's not my training and I'm not good enough to be a professional. I am, however, competent enough to know that everything good is designed around users first, functionality second, and if there's anything left you go back to users.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
^^^how long did it take you to do that ^^^? I'm seriously curious

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Bout an hour I'd guess inbetween making PDFs for work. I take flash files and convert the steps the program uses into screenshots / texts so I get frequent "waht do I do while I wait" moments, which I mostly fill with mafia and reddit. And rage, when appropriate.

shanus

Smash Hero
Overswams mock-up for my post idea makes me happy.

Nice post, OS.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Bout an hour I'd guess inbetween making PDFs for work. I take flash files and convert the steps the program uses into screenshots / texts so I get frequent "waht do I do while I wait" moments, which I mostly fill with mafia and reddit. And rage, when appropriate.
ahh, you're a redditor too? cool

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Overswams mock-up for my post idea makes me happy.

Nice post, OS.
It's a good idea.

The traditional model for websites is to stick to the tried-and-true F shape, and your idea fits into that when you think of each individual post as a nugget of content (which it is).

•Users first read in a horizontal movement, usually across the upper part of the content area. This initial element forms the F's top bar.
•Next, users move down the page a bit and then read across in a second horizontal movement that typically covers a shorter area than the previous movement. This additional element forms the F's lower bar.
•Finally, users scan the content's left side in a vertical movement. Sometimes this is a fairly slow and systematic scan that appears as a solid stripe on an eyetracking heatmap. Other times users move faster, creating a spottier heatmap. This last element forms the F's stem.

•an article in the "about us" section of a corporate website (far left),
•a product page on an e-commerce site (center), and
•a search engine results page (SERP; far right).
Knowledge is power.

ahh, you're a redditor too? cool
I'm on the internet for more than an hour a day. Where else would I spend my time XD

Oh, and before you guys get carried away and implement all my changes at once, putting the quote buttons next to the post # only works seamlessly with one post shown. With multiple posts showing, the possibility of that being confusing as to who it quotes is possible, so special attention to that is necessary.

shanus

Smash Hero
Did you just make that mock up with user bar on the side?

The layout I was envisioning still has the name and avatar on top, with the post buttons say in the top middle. That way, it would be completely obvious who you are quoting.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Did you just make that mock up with user bar on the side?

The layout I was envisioning still has the name and avatar on top, with the post buttons say in the top middle. That way, it would be completely obvious who you are quoting.
Oh, that's right. You must use top postbit. In that cast it'd be obvious, but not for side post-bit, which is what I use.

shanus

Smash Hero
Oh, that's right. You must use top postbit. In that cast it'd be obvious, but not for side post-bit, which is what I use.
Yeah top post-bit has a ton of negative space in the header of each post, but I always found it easier to track whose post I was reading in the old layout. But now with everything so spaced, I might switch to side post-bit.

iRJi

Smash Champion
@ OS + MMM: Reguardless of time, you pretty much said what I was trying to get through on a larger scale.

Initally, he had a decent basic design, but it ended at that when other elements were added. Not like minor tweaks can't be done to improve it by a significant amount, but overall the design can be better both visually and structurally.

Ever thought of a design team for the site? Just curious. You have users that are vividly blessed with narutal talents for designing.

All in all, I would write another wall of text to go on, but I am at school with my laptop, which I hate typing on majority of the time. When I get home I will go on with pictures as well to compensate for my examples.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I thought the "!" is fine. Is there a legend for it though? There are a tad too many different variations to them; I don't know which one means which.

_milktea

Smash Lord
I don't even use the forums anymore, so I have no place posting here. But since the first post seems to welcome advice, here goes.

My biggest issue with the new layout is the excess of effects and over-compensation of the identity (branding).

As both a designer and web-designer, one of my priorities in my work is to create a memorable identity for my clients. The last Smashboards layout screamed Smashboards like no other. It was a very simple, clean, concise, set of visual patterns and colors that worked together to form the SWF identity (I used the old school gray/black/yellow one). While I can understand what the new layout's identity is going for, there is still an excess of unnecessary elements.

A challenge I often take on is to create a distinct, unique, identity while still maintaining simplicity. When I look at this layout, I see many things that don't need to be here. There's no necessity for the images at top, nor the thick borders, nor the rounded corners. They don't add to the new logo in the least bit. The new logo, though sans-serif, is reinforced with a square, pixelated, font below. How does that match the organic, rounded, corners?

When too many things are happening, it detracts from the identity rather than helps it. There doesn't need to be 4+ colors utilized throughout the site to make a point. Utilizing one to two colors max in conjunction with a black/gray color is more than enough. That way, the designer can easily distribute said colors consistently throughout the site while simultaneously promoting a clearer image of Smash World Forums. If you still don't understand, think of it this way: If you screenshot a random portion of this site, there's nothing that ties it securely back to SWF. There are just too many colors, too many visual cues, happening all at once.

Back to the header. I hate that it's cut off at the top. While some may argue that this aids with the emphasis of the logo, I say that it's a cop-out. There's nothing wrong with blocks of color in the header, IF it correlates well with the rest of the site. This header? It looks like it's been excommunicated and banned to the top of the layout LOL. As if the contrast of the white wasn't enough, there's yet another blue bar to reinforce the division, with white text (that is hard to see) above it. If the logo is good, it'll stand out enough as its own entity.

There are a lot of hierarchy and typographic issues as well. Let's take a look at the home page, the "Last Post" column in particular. There is no clear difference between what is text and what is link (besides the slightest of gray?), only once you hover over the name or the post and it underlines, do you know that it is a link to something else. While old-school users will know what it is, it's still important to understand that your layout should cater to newcomers. Steve Krug wrote a book called "Don't Make Me Think" on web functionality. In it, he makes it crystal clear that people don't READ websites, they browse, and the less easier it is to navigate, the quicker they leave. I know it sounds ridiculous, but little things like this make a difference. Plus it is yet another opportunity to incorporate a distinct color to add onto the identity. Right now, the only color usage I see is the name of a post. For the most part, the remaining text/links is ALL white. Why!?

After you click on a header, you get to the breadcrumbs:

Smash World Forums > Smash World Network
Announcements

Again, it's all white...

I haven't explored enough, but there are probably more typographic flaws that may need to be addressed.

Layout, grid. I don't understand why the little yellow-stroked announcements box is smaller in width than the rest... There doesn't seem to be a clear purpose to me. It just breaks the grid, in a bad way. The Backroom stuff and DIVs on the right seem strange to me too. Why aren't they on the left? It's just an industry-standard, imo. Also harder to read with the massive amount of posts on the left, then these small columns pushed to the right.

I DO like the idea of the icons though. I also like the IDEA of the new concept. Using bright, vivid colors is nice also, BUT not in excess like I believe it is now. A few things just need to be refined. This is just constructive criticism, not fiery hatred.

/waits for haterade.

Top Bottom