• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Guide to Farore's Wind - Updated Teleport-Cancelling Section

Villi

Smash Lord
Hai Luthien, if you're still updating this I don't think this post deserved it's own thread. But it's possible to get consistent ledge warps in the air on some stages by using visual cues on platforms and backgrounds.

For some examples:

Yoshi's Island: Stand on the first white tooth on either side of the center platform. Do a full hop and FW diagonally toward the other ledge.

Halberd: Stand on right at the point where the platform tapers toward the edge and full hop and FW toward the other edge.

It would be neat to find all the various ledge warping starting points on the ground and air.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Hai Luthien, if you're still updating this I don't think this post deserved it's own thread. But it's possible to get consistent ledge warps in the air on some stages by using visual cues on platforms and backgrounds.

For some examples:

Yoshi's Island: Stand on the first white tooth on either side of the center platform. Do a full hop and FW diagonally toward the other ledge.

Halberd: Stand on right at the point where the platform tapers toward the edge and full hop and FW toward the other edge.

It would be neat to find all the various ledge warping starting points on the ground and air.
I'm kinda confused, are you saying that we could use Farore's to warp around on platforms enabling us to cancel the lag? This might actually be very useful.....i'm going to look into it. On stages like BF and YI, this might make Zelda very fast and give us a decent approach option,

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
About Farore's priority, it ignores Samus' F-smash so either Samus F-smash has crap priority or Farore's has high one o_o All of this BEFORE disappeareance??? >_< grammar..........

S2

Smash Lord
I think Villi is referring to making a list of consistent ledge-warps, so you can just look up all the best ledge-warping strats for any given stage.

That's actually a good idea. I dunno how many players use the technique regularly (I shamefully never mastered it), but that might be a good encourager for people who shy away from the technique because they don't want to accidentally SD.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I use visual place markers to ledgewarp semi-consistently. I use the middle of FD. The stick in the background of BF. and the fence in SV.

I used to ledgewarp a lot until i accidently killed myself... now I do it only regularly.

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
Didn't bother reading all of the pages cuz this got quite the views last time I saw it. Good job Luth hehe.

And um I like ledge stealing/ledge warping/teleport cancelling... XD Wtf is it called nowadays haha. Anyway got some pretty sweet kills from it actually, I mean I try to do it whenever I see a chance to or just cuz I can. If I die um oops my fault for showing off lol. All in good fun really. Trying to master it on every stage... slowly

Luthien

Smash Ace
Working on it.

All right. This one's confusing me a little bit, so is it possible if you could get an image up (I'm a bit of a visual person... ^^')

Again, picture? The fact that I don't understand might have more to do with my headache, but still some clarification would be great so I don't confuse anybody when I put these in the guide. I'm putting them in anyway for now, but I'll edit them later if it can become clearer.

Feel free to report any of the ones you see, I'll put them in. I can't say I'm going to be working on the guide very much anymore, because I'm giving Brawl a bit of a break, but if anyone sees any let me know.

GodAtHand said:
I use visual place markers to ledgewarp semi-consistently. I use the middle of FD. The stick in the background of BF. and the fence in SV.
Thanks, these are the ones I usually use. However, it would help in the future if you could be a little more specific. For example, instead of saying "and the fence in SV," you could say where by the fence you should be to clarify. Example:

"Just a little behind the stick/sundial in the background of BF, teleport East or West (teleport towards whichever ledge is farther away from you)."

That makes it a lot easier for me, and for others who read what I put into the guide.

Also, if anything in the guide is incorrect, PLEASE let me know. I don't want to be providing misinformation for anyone. Thanks.

Edit @ -spAzn-
This guide, once I get around to editig it, will just call it teleport-cancelling from here on out. I think that's the most appropriate name for it.

I promise I'll edit this soon.

Villi

Smash Lord
Here are the ones I was talking about:

Yoshi's Island is actually over the red tooth, not the white one. It's a little inconsistent, but you won't SD if you miss.

Here's Battlefield

That spot on the top is where you would come off the spawning platform. You can TC from there or do a full hop from the center of the platform.

Same deal for Halberd. Sorry for the crappy pic. :/

You can also do it on Lylat, but I haven't figured out why I suicide sometimes. When the ship isn't moving, you'll die. I think also if it's tilting downward, you also die. But if the ship is tilting so you have to teleport up hill, then you can TC there. The fortunate thing about Lylat is that the teleport spot is the line in the center of the stage so you can really choose either edge to teleport on depending on which way the ship is tilting.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Theres a thread about this and no one linked me ?! Shame on you ppl.

I dont do it on yoshis. It still feels inconsistent. I'd do it from the same spot more than once and it SDs at times.

Villi

Smash Lord
O.O I thought you would definitely know about this thread! I was wondering why you didn't give any input though.

Why are you SDing? It shouldn't be happening since you're teleporting so far from the ledge. By full-hoppinh, you cancel FW by teleporting diagonally to the other side of the platform. If you miss, you either land on the platform or free fall back onto the stage. If your finger slips, you can just grab the ledge.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
O.O I thought you would definitely know about this thread! I was wondering why you didn't give any input though.

Why are you SDing? It shouldn't be happening since you're teleporting so far from the ledge. By full-hoppinh, you cancel FW by teleporting diagonally to the other side of the platform. If you miss, you either land on the platform or free fall back onto the stage. If your finger slips, you can just grab the ledge.
I've done this since melee. I dont go around looking for threads. Luthien came into my thread once talking about it but i never checked this thread before. The reason Yoshis is inconsistent is because of the hills. It makes the straight line jagged and sometimes u'll either

1. Not cancel
2. Cancel
3. Fall off

Its not practical to me being its even more precise than other stage and even so still doesnt work 100%. I'll do it on any other stage even frigate.

Villi

Smash Lord
I've done this since melee. I dont go around looking for threads. Luthien came into my thread once talking about it but i never checked this thread before. The reason Yoshis is inconsistent is because of the hills. It makes the straight line jagged and sometimes u'll either

1. Not cancel
2. Cancel
3. Fall off

Its not practical to me being its even more precise than other stage and even so still doesnt work 100%. I'll do it on any other stage even frigate.
Just before writing this, I TC'd 10 times in a row without missing once. The ground doesn't move -- there's no reason for it to be inconsistent except for your spacing. Try looking at the crayon markings on the ground.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Just before writing this, I TC'd 10 times in a row without missing once. The ground doesn't move -- there's no reason for it to be inconsistent except for your spacing. Try looking at the crayon markings on the ground.
and u hold straight left?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yeah, you know on that one block you should be standing on there's a little orange strip between the pink. I'm just standing on the brown line that's close to the center.
Alright then. I still hate that stage for zelda though.

Villi

Smash Lord
:-/ I like the stage. The Yoshi ending music makes me happy. And other things, too... I just don't like the wall, but I avoid touching it like my life depends on it.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
:-/ I like the stage. The Yoshi ending music makes me happy. And other things, too... I just don't like the wall, but I avoid touching it like my life depends on it.
I dont even have that music anymore. High ceiling means harder to get vertical kos. The wall too. And the hill........UGH

Luthien

Smash Ace

1. Not cancel
2. Cancel
3. Fall off

X_X Yeah, I was sure I mentioned it to you before. I asked permission to put the link to your teleport cancelling video in here and you didn't respond, so I sort of... put it in here anyway and credited you. ^^'

I've never had any problems on Yoshi's. At first I assumed that the ledges would give me problems, but they never have (any more than other stages have, anyway). Weird.

By the way, mind if I put your video against Rykoshet's Ike in here with that amazing Teleport-Cancel KO?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Stop saying zelda (and sheik) can't wall hug, they can.

You have to do angles that are greater than 45 degrees in relationship to the wall. You can use this to land on stage in situations where you are being ledge hogged and your recovery attack won't get you back or as an alternative to vertical recoveries when you are too close to the stage.

Pony

Smash Apprentice
FW FTW 8D
The whole "Imagine the octagon control stick thing as a circle" thing really helped me :3

Also, does anyone know why it says I only have 1 post? I've posted at least 10 times >.>

Villi

Smash Lord
Is this posted in the OP idunno. A quick-n-dirty way to l2space the ledge cancel on a stage you're not familiar with is to teeter on the ledge, do a foxtrot-roll, and then roll again. Voila, FW cancel spacing.

Note that it's important to cancel your foxtrot with a roll or else you'll probably stop short of the ledge.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Is this posted in the OP idunno. A quick-n-dirty way to l2space the ledge cancel on a stage you're not familiar with is to teeter on the ledge, do a foxtrot-roll, and then roll again. Voila, FW cancel spacing.

Note that it's important to cancel your foxtrot with a roll or else you'll probably stop short of the ledge.

Pardon the n00bness, but... foxtrot-roll? -_-;

-_-;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Basically, get Zelda to stand at an edge, do a dash (but just flick the controller instead of continuing to run - that's a foxtrot), and about halfway into Zelda's dash animation, do a roll in that direction. Then roll in that direction again. Now Farore's Wind in the direction you came from.

Voila!

Luthien

Smash Ace
Basically, get Zelda to stand at an edge, do a dash (but just flick the controller instead of continuing to run - that's a foxtrot), and about halfway into Zelda's dash animation, do a roll in that direction. Then roll in that direction again. Now Farore's Wind in the direction you came from.

Voila!
I'll be darned. I was scared it was as simple as it sounded. Thanks. I'll put it in the OP. I suppose this would be a safer way to find out in the middle of a match than teetering on the ledge, FWing into the stage, taking a step towards the ledge and FWing back.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I'll be darned. I was scared it was as simple as it sounded. Thanks. I'll put it in the OP. I suppose this would be a safer way to find out in the middle of a match than teetering on the ledge, FWing into the stage, taking a step towards the ledge and FWing back.
It is a little easier, but both methods would be kinda hard to pull off in an actual match. It's better just to memorize the locations you need to stand before using FW. You wouldn't want to try it in a match without a little practice anyway. :)

mikekleman

Smash Cadet
excelent observations!!! i noticed this a bit ago as well. while off the ledge, if your opponent tries to hog, fw can punish with a well deserved stage spike lol =P it is also useful when on the ground. they never expect you to hit if its their first time seeing it. it has some decent knockback as well. the only bad thing about htis is that they can grab you out of it. so what you have to do is learn the spacing to get right behind them. if they think it is in front of them, they will try to grab and you and you can punish with a down smash

Top Bottom