• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6/20/2009 GIGABITS and Silvermine Subs present - A June Brawl

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
And I won't make it to this unless someone gives me a ride. :(

Incidentally, why hasn't the stage list changed? o_O

Noa.

Smash Master
I think we're all using the stage list from Florida Gaming, right?

By far, it's better than this outdated one.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
That sounds good; I don't mind Norfair though (stage slowly creeps up on good side again).

We should play again Draconoa, it was too good seeing you jump from a Sheik DACUS

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
Teams result

Hrnut & CO18
Bonesaw & Chaz
Afro & MVD
..........rest is not important lol jk

Singles...i dont care unless i stay

so my MM are

Ghaude/Teeco/Fearless..........idk whom else

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Norfair is an invaluable CP for tether characters, does not give one or more characters a large advantage over most of the cast, and has hazards that, while annoying, are not hard to avoid...

Personally, I don't CP the stage... but I can see reasons to have it on, as it is harmless to players who know the stage... the side lava saves players more than it kills them...

Luigi's Mansion is a huge turtle stage... and it has a so-called "cave of life" that does give some characters a huge advantage... It's a debateable stage, really...

But how is norfair less fair than something like Japes, where a spike = a greater chance of death than anywhere else?

Rainbow cruise is a bit glitchy, as well, but I don't know that it should be banned, really

There is simply no reason that lylat should not be considered neutral, though... seriously, if the tilting still causes problems, than whiners need to quit smash... this coming from a Fox player. : /

If Lylat is CP, then yoshi's should be, as well... with it's upB glitching, and random saves.... seriously, neither stage is anything but neutral, but to whine about Lylat to the point of making it CP is pretty silly... My ideal stage list would be something like:

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat

Counter
Castle Siege
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon

Counter/Banned
Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pirate Ship
Pictochat
PokeStadium 2
rainbow Cruise

With all the stages in the C/B bracket needing to be debated with tournament players to determine the legality...

Noa.

Smash Master
Norfair is an invaluable CP for tether characters, does not give one or more characters a large advantage over most of the cast, and has hazards that, while annoying, are not hard to avoid...

Personally, I don't CP the stage... but I can see reasons to have it on, as it is harmless to players who know the stage... the side lava saves players more than it kills them...

Luigi's Mansion is a huge turtle stage... and it has a so-called "cave of life" that does give some characters a huge advantage... It's a debateable stage, really...

But how is norfair less fair than something like Japes, where a spike = a greater chance of death than anywhere else?

Rainbow cruise is a bit glitchy, as well, but I don't know that it should be banned, really

There is simply no reason that lylat should not be considered neutral, though... seriously, if the tilting still causes problems, than whiners need to quit smash... this coming from a Fox player. : /

If Lylat is CP, then yoshi's should be, as well... with it's upB glitching, and random saves.... seriously, neither stage is anything but neutral, but to whine about Lylat to the point of making it CP is pretty silly... My ideal stage list would be something like:

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat

Counter
Castle Siege
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon

Counter/Banned
Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pirate Ship
Pictochat
PokeStadium 2
rainbow Cruise

With all the stages in the C/B bracket needing to be debated with tournament players to determine the legality...
Norfair is not banned because of the lava. That presents no problems to good players at all and is easily avoided. Albeit, it still is one small reason to consider it being banned. But this reason alone is not why it is banned.

The real reason it's banned is because Norfair's size, lava, and layout promote very campy and defensive styles. Like Hanenbow and Hyrule but to a lesser extent, we ban it because it's easy to run away.

Not only that but this stage just screams planking. There being ledges all over the stage, it's easy to see why someone would plank.

So we ban Norfair a little because of the lava, but mostly because it promotes camping and planking.

And another note. Norfair isn't a good stage for Olimar. Olimar's entire game revolves around pivot grabs and smashes, but there isn't enough space to pivot on Norfair. The recovery advantage gained does not measure to our grab game being severely hampered. I'm not sure about the other tether recovery characters, but good Olimar would practically never counterpick Norfair.

Luigi's Mansion is banned because of the cave of life, and also because of certain characters broken tactics. MK and Olimar come into question here with their tornado and usmash respectively. Against these characters it's advisable to ban Luigi's all the time, because MK and Olimar **** any character on that stage.

As for Jungle Japes, we must keep in mind that practically never are stages banned solely for hazards. Only if the hazard is very hard to avoid and random would it hold enough reason to ban the stage. The klaptrap is not only avoidable but not random. It appears every x:x7(that's the timer btw) on the right side and x:x5 on the right.

While Japes actually does promote camping, it does not promote it to the extent that Norfair does. Camping is easily dealt with the exception of Falco, though a few characters can actually handle Falco on Japes.

And as for the neutral list. I don't think Lylat should be counterpick if Yoshi's isn't as well. Yoshi's and Lylat are both like a pack and belong together on either the counterpick or neutral list. One shouldn't be without the other.

And Ed, we're certainly going to play some friendlies. I'm ready for that dacus now. :p

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
Teams result

Hrnut & CO18
Bonesaw & Chaz
Afro & MVD
..........rest is not important lol jk

Singles...i dont care unless i stay

so my MM are

Ghaude/Teeco/Fearless..........idk whom else
Don't you count me out. I'll be on top as well as long as hungry plays better agaisnt snake and doesn't leave me alone with 2 people. And are we really going back to the stages topic again lol. And yay 500 posts =^-^=

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
Norfair is not banned because of the lava. That presents no problems to good players at all and is easily avoided. Albeit, it still is one small reason to consider it being banned. But this reason alone is not why it is banned.

The real reason it's banned is because Norfair's size, lava, and layout promote very campy and defensive styles. Like Hanenbow and Hyrule but to a lesser extent, we ban it because it's easy to run away.

Not only that but this stage just screams planking. There being ledges all over the stage, it's easy to see why someone would plank.

So we ban Norfair a little because of the lava, but mostly because it promotes camping and planking.

And another note. Norfair isn't a good stage for Olimar. Olimar's entire game revolves around pivot grabs and smashes, but there isn't enough space to pivot on Norfair. The recovery advantage gained does not measure to our grab game being severely hampered. I'm not sure about the other tether recovery characters, but good Olimar would practically never counterpick Norfair.

Luigi's Mansion is banned because of the cave of life, and also because of certain characters broken tactics. MK and Olimar come into question here with their tornado and usmash respectively. Against these characters it's advisable to ban Luigi's all the time, because MK and Olimar **** any character on that stage.

As for Jungle Japes, we must keep in mind that practically never are stages banned solely for hazards. Only if the hazard is very hard to avoid and random would it hold enough reason to ban the stage. The klaptrap is not only avoidable but not random. It appears every x:x7(that's the timer btw) on the right side and x:x5 on the right.

While Japes actually does promote camping, it does not promote it to the extent that Norfair does. Camping is easily dealt with the exception of Falco, though a few characters can actually handle Falco on Japes.

And as for the neutral list. I don't think Lylat should be counterpick if Yoshi's isn't as well. Yoshi's and Lylat are both like a pack and belong together on either the counterpick or neutral list. One shouldn't be without the other.

And Ed, we're certainly going to play some friendlies. I'm ready for that dacus now. :p
Neither one of you made a compelling argument as to why Luigi's should be banned. Meanwhile, Japes should be a counterpick. I would use it to cp a Snake every time...

But whatever helps the Smash community sleep at night, I guess.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
OK

Japes is a CP. Tommy G gets a guaranteed spot at top 3 ... trust me. I love him but, idk much people that can out "Tommy Japes"...Tommy G

Luigis Mansion is lame. Why allow such a stage. No need to argue its lame. Same as Rainbow Cruise.

Nick your top 3 is just dumb. Not considering me/G$ and Kyon/Hbox u so foolish

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
lol just ban the stage you least wanna play on in the set jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezlaweeeeeeeeeeeeeez w/e

wario can jump but is not as athletic as general patton

MVD

Smash Master
dammit.... i hate hard teams......

i miss the good ol days...

*Edit*

Mvd, take good care of Afro, he likes his nades hot, and his D1cks cold. He also likes it when u buy crispy chickens with ketchup and cheese on them from wendies ;-;

im tearing up just thinking about it...

-holding a ketchup bottle-

ITS JUST NOT THE SAMEEEE
lol nice, dont worry, we will do better than our first tag team craziness

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
best thing to do is just copy the stage list for genesis.... not much arguments can go against that, and its the best preperation/good tourny experience ratio we can get.

for a reference see florida gaming.

Japes can go either way, its up to the host.

Master Raven

Smash Master
lol ok so

I don't have parent johns for say. That's not really what's holding me back from Gigs.

It's money johns.

My parents can't afford to stay at a hotel overnight for Gigs since my dad's on ferlow (sp?[essentially his job put him on hiatus thanks to this **** economy]) and until he gets back to working again we won't be able to travel much if at all in CFL.

That's why I'm hoping July Gigs will be on the 18th, since we're visiting Disney that weekend, and if it's on that date we can definitely go.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I... still need a ride. This is starting to worry me since I still don't have one after like a week of asking. :crying:

$0 for u... i'm being selective on who I accept for mah opponents
Well, I'd do it for $3. You saw today how much Random loves to give me my sucky characters (Ganondorf, Craptain Failcon, Meta Knight :laugh:).

Master Raven

Smash Master
My parents don't really trust other people riding me to CFL for now.

Housing is something else I think they wouldn't feel comfy with if it was some far place.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
or how about we focus on actually finishing the brawl tourny on time-ish if we are given enough tv's for once?

Polt: talk to mvd bout a possible ride

Top Bottom