• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So, all the heavies in this game might actually be kind of competent now? :4charizard::4ganondorf: with their direct buffs and :4dedede: with the indirect buffs by gaining ground on five of his worst matchups.That's a pretty big deal.
I certainly hope so. Compared to other fighting games, Smash Bros. lacks completive super heavyweights.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Ah, thanks for the input. But that's scary just seeing Ganondorf kicking through the attack like Thoron.

Well, we can learn something from our most buffed characters...
Watch out for semi-spikes and frame 6 attacks, Cloud.

:4samus: will screw Cloud over with that N-Air when it connects.

I think he's just over-estimating Cloud right now. No really, he thinks that even with the nerfs Cloud has, he's still that good?
Does he not know about :4villager::4bayonetta::4link::4rob::4metaknight::4sheik:?

And this patch, it includes :4mewtwo::4ganondorf::4samus:.

Sheik's nerfs are actually reasonable for me; they are significant in some points (she dies earlier and has less range overall, and kills later with less reliable throws), but insignificant in others. I can believe she's a top 10.
Cloud is pretty rough for Ganon, if it wasn't for F-tilt absolutely murdering him it would probably be his worst match up.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
These nerfs just made Sheik not to be the overwhelming best character in the game that everyone should be scared to death anymore but she's a really good character that is quite certainly still top 10 or even top 5 if new techs are discovered.

Last edited:

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
Nothing on Sheik was changed that would change the match-up to even out of nowhere. Sheiks nerfs are extremely overrated.
all the people saying that needles suck now and it wont be a problem anymore. let me tell you, needles are still anoying as **** and one of the best projectile in the game. dont overreact. sheik is still very very damn good

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Sheik is top 5 easy.

But that needle nerf cant be ignored. Thats HUGE!!! Sheik is now as she should be. A fast disruptive char, but does not invalidate other chars completely.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Cloud is pretty rough for Ganon, if it wasn't for F-tilt absolutely murdering him it would probably be his worst match up.
Well, if Ganondorf lands a few hits and then an F-Tilt before, Cloud's done.
Now it's when Ganondorf lands the Dash Attack and hits Cloud off stage.

Thanks to Cloud's nerfs and Dorf's buffs, Dorf has a far easier, if not even MU with, Cloud at worst.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Well, if Ganondorf lands a few hits and then an F-Tilt before, Cloud's done.
Now it's when Ganondorf lands the Dash Attack and hits Cloud off stage.

Thanks to Cloud's nerfs and Dorf's buffs, Dorf has a far easier, if not even MU with, Cloud at worst.
Good luck actually landing that hit, and Cloud offstage isn't as free as you think.
If he recovers high he has enough coverage to make it back safely, and trying to land against Cloud is like trying to land against Rosa, you just gotta pray air wizkick will trade with his iron board of death,

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So can Sheik still be considered a "gatekeeper" character?

Formerly, along with Sheik, ZSS, Rosalina, and Cloud defined who gets to be competitively viable.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Things are looking promising. :4bowser::4bowserjr::4charizard::4dedede::4dk::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4link::4rob::4ryu: all had huge gains with this patch either directly or indirectly so it's a good day to be fat. :laugh:
I nearly forgot about Ryu.

I'm looking into either 'zard or Ganon right now. Whichever give me those Q (SF3) vibes.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
There may be more, but it's strange that :4jigglypuff: :4dedede: :4yoshi: and :4rob: are the least changed characters, getting basically no buffs or nerfs past the game's early lifespan. ROB has been completely unchanged since his upthrow got nerfed. #CharizardStoleOurUpthrow

Are these characters really the balance team's perception of well-rounded? I can understand ROB and Yoshi but they must think Jiggs and Dedede are at least decent if they've been this stagnant. I'm not saying they're correct, but it's something to think about.
The Pits are also untouched again... I believe Pit's got the least amount of changes out of any character, though I can't remember what's happened to Puff for the life of me.

How many pit metagame discussion posts do you think there were talking about how he could never be a tier because of the sheik matchup? Probably pages.
Not many, actually. We're a pretty upbeat bunch.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
:4bowserjr: has also been mostly untouched by patches as well. He got a couple of buffs last patch but they are mostly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, which is really weird because he could be a solid character if it weren't for the fact that a lot of his moves don't function right, most notably jab. Sometimes it feels like either not enough people play Bowser Jr. for the balance team to get a feel for him or even they straight up forget he's in the game...

...Then again, at least he's not :4jigglypuff:.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Some impressions:

-Samus might be working her way up - I'd watch her. Mewtwo was once considered bottom 10, as is Samus, and some hitbox fixes went a long way. Grab length duration is also a boon.
-Mewtwo is going to end up being increasingly more Upper Tier. People underestimate how significant small mobility and weight buffs can be.
-Sheik is still, imo, Top 5. Time will tell, but I expect Sheik to continue winning tournaments or place very high because of her damage racking and neutral.
-Jigglypuff is definitively the worst character in the game at this point; Zelda's still bad, but I think she has some few options that makes her slightly more viable.
-Dedede isn't bottom 3.

I predict either Rosalina or Cloud will be the best, but the most important takeaway for me is that they addressed the top tier properly. I expect Bayo/Cloud nerfs in the future since balance patches are still happening, assuming they remain popular and do really well.

This patch probably changed the meta similarly to the near-year-ago Diddy patch, so I'm going to only count tourney data from here on.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Wizard's Foot will beat Robin's Thoron only at the range where Wizard's Foot can hit Robin directly. If he tries to tank the entire Thoron from across the stage, the move ends before Thoron hits 6 and 7 come and hit him.

But that's mostly because Thoron is a long-lasting move. Wizard's Foot cutting through things like Bullet Climax and lemons is fantastic and something he really needed.

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
She has still the better kill confirms in the game. The dthrow thing was something abusive, now we can see what Sheik players are real sheik mains. The really lab-hard-sheik mains don't even kill from dthrow 50:50 that often, because they use other things.
Yep as I said, sheik still has a lot of kill confirms but only grab beats shield and it wont kill you from the centre of the stage unless you have the magic percents

If you use needles too close it always has been punishable...
of course. As I said, max range needles in 1.1.5 are punishable on block

It's almost unchanged. The range nerf doesn't affect it that much.
The range is now as long as greninja's uncharged shurikens, not 3/4 of FD (the distance the two players start from each other). Thats a big nerf so sheik cant trap characters from the other side of the stage.

You should not that it's not even spacing that makes it so safe (and in that regard it doesn't really make a difference) but that frames are safe as well. So reducing the range doesn't make a huge difference here.
I can understand sheik's frame data making it not safe as when sheik covers a landing fair with a jab it stops moves frame 12 or above out of shield from punishing it.
But ...how does the spacing not affect the safety of fair?
So if I have two moves with the exact same startup, recovery time and landing lag but one is a sword and one is a Jigglypuff leg, they are equally as safe?

Badly spaced fair has always been punishable especially if you powershield it.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Random observation: since the beginning of the game vertical kill setups have been toned down a LOT.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'm fine with Cloud being the new king since he is such a volatile character. If you're bad at recovering with him you are gonna get decimated by a competent player.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't call that yet necessarily. Sheik did have more kill options than just the Dthrow.

Even if she lost one of her primary 50/50s and thus some MUs are changed, I'm not calling Sheik dead yet. I'd rather wait and see if the top level Sheiks can lab out anything with her new throws first/further focus on her other kill confirms and 50/50s. Lets see what Zero and Void figure out first. If they figure out anything I'm betting Cloud still loses to Sheik.
She doesn't need a 50/50 or KO confirm to kill Cloud. Just fair, fair, DJ, fair, fair and let gravity do the rest as you BF Vanish back to stage.

And did we forget Mr. R's spotless edgeguarding of Komorikiri at G3? Sheik still beats Cloud.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Sheik is still easily top 5. Significant shifts can happen but characters never drop (or rise) as much as people think they will. Greninja and Luigi don't count since they were never as good as people said.

Don't expect the masses (or indeed the BR) to put Mewtwo in his rightful place either.

Did anyone ever use Dsmash or Fsmash? They seemed pretty unsafe to me.

I think people are underselling the nerfs a tad (longer charge time = less LBs per match due to interruptions during charging, Uair nerf is something I'll happily take), but in the long run his main killer of LB!SideB is still there. He lost some power, but quite noticeably less of a loss compared to some of those around him. I don't think any of his MUs got worse, just maybe some of the even ones feeling even more even basically.
The crucial thing with Cloud is that no character has ever experienced a significant tier drop without a nerf to their core strengths. It's taken, what, 5 different patches for Sheik to actually feel the effects of a nerf? Because they've never addressed her key problems (Fair + Needles range, throw confirms) before. MK took a massive hit with the loss of his ladder. ZSS and Bayo have taken big hits. Without a proper nerf to LCS, Cloud isn't going anywhere.

The balance team have done a fantastic job this patch though. They've hit 4 out of the top 6 with the nerfs they needed and at least an attempt was made to nerf Cloud. The only tippy top they left alone, Rosalina, has bad MUs anyway. They also managed to buff a bunch of characters who needed it plus fan favourites Greninja and Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
She doesn't need a 50/50 or KO confirm to kill Cloud. Just fair, fair, DJ, fair, fair and let gravity do the rest as you BF Vanish back to stage.

And did we forget Mr. R's spotless edgeguarding of Komorikiri at G3? Sheik still beats Cloud.
Smart players beats Cloud.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
-Jigglypuff is definitively the worst character in the game at this point; Zelda's still bad, but I think she has some few options that makes her slightly more viable.
Well definitely, there's no way Zelda can be the worst now that she has a Hoo-Hah.

From the description:

"It cannot be airdodged. Also if they DI towards you, you can still get upair, if they DI away, you can get guaranteed bair."

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
:4bowserjr: has also been mostly untouched by patches as well. He got a couple of buffs last patch but they are mostly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, which is really weird because he could be a solid character if it weren't for the fact that a lot of his moves don't function right, most notably jab. Sometimes it feels like either not enough people play Bowser Jr. for the balance team to get a feel for him or even they straight up forget he's in the game...

...Then again, at least he's not :4jigglypuff:.
I'd kind of disagree. Bair and fair getting more kill power was certainly nice and the massive lag reductions for his Smash attacks were definitely helpful. Fsmash is now very safe while u/dsmash aren't pretty much a free punishment of your opponent's choice on shield/whiff anymore. Yes, jab still sucks and so does his grab but actually getting in kills became a lot easier. Also, again, the character has gotten a ton of indirect buffs as of late too.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Zelda is allowed to have this.

Her mobility is not good.

Also its working brothers...I got them talking about Cloud. Now slowly Ryu will make his name known throughout the land and.....

EH?!?!?!?

Wrong thread, WRONG THREAD!!!!

ABORT MISSION!!!!!!

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Well it looks like shulks top tier MUs became better, no longer a -2 MU for SHIEK, but he still loses the Mu

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
MK took a massive hit with the loss of his ladder. .
Going to address just this bit and say with the tech the MK guys are figuring out with their new Fair.... I don't know if MK's taken THAT much of a hit.

Apparently cancelling Fair after first hit -> Dash Attack -> Up B is a combo that kills at 60+%. And there is also just cancelling fair after the first hit near the ledge -> start charging Fsmash because you're covering almost every one of their options and because of Fsmash's low cooldown you'll be able to punish them if they manage not to get hit. And apparently Fair is now pretty much safe on shield?

MK is probably still pretty darn scary, just for different reasons.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
In the midst of all this, it's worth pointing out that ZeRo is releasing Part 3 of his Tier List today (soon). He's dedicated to finishing it to see comparisons between 1.1.4 meta vs. 1.1.5 meta.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I don't think anyone can ignore Mewtwo now. A lot have been (wrongly) thinking that his weight was his biggest issue that should be fixed, and he got a buff there.

He's not much better than before, since he's been pretty good for a while now, but I doubt he'd be ignored.

Last edited:

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
I'm very impressed with the changes made to some of the current bottom tier characters. :4charizard: and :4ganondorf: in particular actually got buffs in the areas that needed them and the changes to :4zelda: and :4samus: are also greatly appreciated. While I doubt these characters will be making waves at major tournaments any time soon, I think they may show up a bit more and might actually surprise people. I feel really bad for :4jigglypuff:though.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Random observation: since the beginning of the game vertical kill setups have been toned down a LOT.
The best characters is Smash 4 have always killed vertically- the change in vectoring in the transition from 3DS to Wii U lowered the of effectiveness horizontal kill power but INCREASED vertical kill power.

What we're now seeing is a bit of an attempt to correct that.

Also, :4bayonetta2: Witch Time stales so hard now. You will be able to punish off a Witch Time at most twice a game. It should really only be used for crucial moments now.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
It is pretty unfortunate that Palutena's worst problem (her abysmally slow tilts) haven't been addressed. But at least we can cross our fingers, since a lot of low tiers have gotten intelligent buffs so far.

My theory on :4jigglypuff: at this point is that she was designed to be a bad character but by some miracle turned out great in Melee.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
It is pretty unfortunate that Palutena's worst problem (her abysmally slow tilts) haven't been addressed. But at least we can cross our fingers, since a lot of low tiers have gotten intelligent buffs so far.

My theory on :4jigglypuff: at this point is that she was designed to be a bad character but by some miracle turned out great in Melee.
Or Pichu took her place there as joke character and gave the joke character niche back to Puff when he was cut.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
MK is probably still pretty good. Buffed fair means improved neutral game. Sheik nerf means his only hard counter is easier to deal with. That is a worthy tradeoff for his previously completely overtuned advantaged state. His disadvantaged state is still very good. I honestly wanna say they adjusted him rather than straight-up nerfing him and I'm inclined to think they did it in a good way. He may not be quite as good as he used to be but he seems like a much better designed and overall good character. I can live with this.

:059:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
The dev team has made a clear path every patch. Buff neutral. Nerf advantage. Only nerf the neutral options that are overtuned. Only buff advantage if it's sorely lacking.

I am digging it.

Last edited:

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Going to address just this bit and say with the tech the MK guys are figuring out with their new Fair.... I don't know if MK's taken THAT much of a hit.

Apparently cancelling Fair after first hit -> Dash Attack -> Up B is a combo that kills at 60+%. And there is also just cancelling fair after the first hit near the ledge -> start charging Fsmash because you're covering almost every one of their options and because of Fsmash's low cooldown you'll be able to punish them if they manage not to get hit. And apparently Fair is now pretty much safe on shield?

MK is probably still pretty darn scary, just for different reasons.
Yeah, MK's fair got a 4 frame lag reduction and is infinitely better. The problem with fair was that it was completely invalidated by his other aerials. It starts the slowest at frame 9, had 20 frames of LL, and AC's in the last 2 frames, yet it does only 6% damage (same as dair which is frame 4) and is weaker than bair and nair which were also faster. There was literally no reason to use fair over any other aerial, aside from the fact that it had the longest range.

Now it's relatively low landing and long range make it safe on shield when spaced well (it doesn't need to be very precise, btw), and is possibly his best option for a short-hop approach. The fact that it sends opponents away at a 48 degree angle means it's safe for putting them offstage. Pre-patch fair could combo into dash attack, but it was a very tight window and was impractical because of the stupidly high landing lag.

This patch has turned out to be better for MK than we thought: goodbye to the ladder, hello to Brawl fair.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I kinda doubt they'll do anything major with her frame data. They'll probably keep doing minor adjustments but I don't see anything that'd really help her that much in a customs off environment.

She might get changes that solidifies her as not being bottom of the barrel as most people see her, but I think she's just always gonna be mediocre as hell without Superspeed and Lightweight, and, considering the point of her in the first place was to showcase customs, I think that's just how Sakurai made her.

A similar sort of thing can be said for the Mii Fighters.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Or Pichu took her place there as joke character and gave the joke character niche back to Puff when he was cut.
The weird thing is that she's good in 64, too. Mid-tier, and placed Top 3 at Genesis 3.

Really, the best explanation may just be that Puff coincidentally benefited off of Melee's engine. She was good at aerial strings and combos that allowed her to gimp. Brawl didn't have much of a combo game and nerfed her main stock tanker (Rest), while this game buffed defensive shielding/rolling and nerfed edgeguarding.

She's a glass cannon in Melee and every tool she had to be a glass cannon has been in some way or another heavily nerfed or stripped away. She can't make you play the game at her pace by Bair spamming like she could in Melee and you don't have to respect her because she doesn't have a set of terrifying Rest setups that destroy you if you make one wrong move. This makes her glass, without a cannon, down to her whacky shield break death quirk.

ReroRero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blackquill
Who are the most buffed characters with the Sheik nerfed ?

I would probably say Greninja

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party

Greninja is likely the character that has received the best buffs overall in this patch - he got both direct buffs [better dash attack and having an actual standing grab] and indirect ones [Sheik nerf] which could be the ultimate breakthrough into undisputed viability for this character.

Representation could still be an issue though. I just hope istudy does well at Pound VI :3

:059:

BunbUn129

Smash Ace

Meta Knight got a nice bit off the Sheik nerf. He apparently no longer has a hard-counter, because needles and fair were two major middle fingers in the Sheik MU. While Sheik wins neutral still, the serious nerf to her projectile and decreased range on fair, combined with the significant fair buff MK got, this MU definitely isn't as oppressive as it was previously.

Some MK mains were wrongly arguing this MU was 55-45, and now they may actually be right. MK got nerfed in advantage (still strong there), but buffed in neutral, while Sheik was nerfed in both aspects.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, none of this matters until we see these characters in action.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom