• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Re: Sheik's Needle nerf.

Can someone help me understand just how severe (or not) the nerf actually is? I thought it was just a range nerf, but I don't actually use Sheik so I don't even know what their un-nerfed max range was. At the end of the day, they're still a long(ish?) range, transcendent, multi-hit, unreactable (?) projectile that can cover a solid chunk of the stage. I'm having a hard time seeing how they're gutted.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
The problem with ordering low-mid and below is that very few of us really know what we're talking about. The bottom ~20 have so few results, how are we supposed to rank them? I have Olimar and Marcina ~35th and haven't bothered ordering anyone below them.

Though I can say with some confidence that D3 and Jiggs are bottom 2.

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon

ZeRo's mid-tiers are here!

Whooho! My main's being proved through her way in Mid Tier! Though I did knew she was gonna be around mid tier, I'm actually surprised that ZeRo placed her that high. At least after 1.1.4, of course. I knew she wasn't that far from Marth.

I'm actually more surprised how Dr. Mario and Little Mac were placed. But no Link in low Mid Tier at least? Now I'm curious on ZeRo's explanation for him.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Sorry, can someone show me a clip of Dedede winning against a player that is familiar with the matchup? From my theorycrafting, Dedede loses the neutral thanks to probably the most easily punished projectile in the game and slow movement speed, and can't take the neutral back because of his big body, polarized aerials, and slow airspeed. And all this trouble for what is merely an above-average advantage state.
Gordos are meant to be used as corner/ledge/edgeguarding traps to influence your opponent's movement, throwing them out is stupid

I think they probably should be modified so thy could both be a standard, good projectile AND a trap move, though

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
MKs were giving death throes last night over the loss of stairway, and now they're hyped and thinking he's still top 10.

Lesson is, never take a patch change at face value.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
I'm convinced MK is still a top 10 fighter at worst. Did some extensive labbing today. Basically, we have higher damage output now, that is extremely consistent, as opposed to inconsistent death combos. Oh, also fair is gdlk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4apkvg/new_mk_combos/
Damage output? Up air does 1% less, nothing else changed. Unless you mean actual combos.

Edit: guys, I'm not saying believe me, but I think the stair case combo is still a thing....

Edit: with up air's new angle, it's actually easier to land both hits of Shuttle Loop.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Speaking of Shulk though, I feel like he might be next in line when it comes to buffs. Every other swordie has either been pretty nuts from the start or they've gotten some damn nice buffs. Shulk has gotten some nice ones don't get me wrong, but there is definitely room for more.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To Zero's credit, mid tier is probably the hardest to fully justify because so much of it revolves around "potential" and people's opinions on this are all over the place. 11 of the 15 he talked about were placed in mid tier because of positive potential he thought they had (:4dedede::4drmario::4falco::4littlemac::4lucas::4lucina::4marth::4mewtwo::4gaw::4robinm::4shulk:)and 4 because he didn't think they'd go anywhere in the future (:4bowser::4megaman::4olimar::4pacman:). That said, it's extremely subjective and why mid tier get argued about significantly more than high or low tiers.

Flux0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flux0r
Re: Sheik's Needle nerf.

Can someone help me understand just how severe (or not) the nerf actually is? I thought it was just a range nerf, but I don't actually use Sheik so I don't even know what their un-nerfed max range was. At the end of the day, they're still a long(ish?) range, transcendent, multi-hit, unreactable (?) projectile that can cover a solid chunk of the stage. I'm having a hard time seeing how they're gutted.
You'll need to get closer to hit them, which means she can't camp you from the other side of the stage.

They're still the best projectiles in the game. I think she's still the best.

This situation is sort of similiar when the 1.0.4 patch dropped, where she got nerfed big time. People claimed she was barely top 10 then.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Damage output? Up air does 1% less, nothing else changed. Unless you mean actual combos.

Edit: guys, I'm not saying believe me, but I think the stair case combo is still a thing....

Edit: with up air's new angle, it's actually easier to land both hits of Shuttle Loop.
Higher damage output because u are getting longer combos consistently that are fairly difficult to drop. instead of getting 3 uairs or so ur getting like 8 with a nair finisher

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
B: Dedede may be better than people give him credit for due to his damage racking and Gordo traps, albeit I think ZeRo has him too high.
It's his main bright spot, yeah. He's a bad character, but he can punish mistakes very, very hard. Simple conversions almost always do 20+ percent, each bair is another 14-16%...gordos just crank it up to ridiculous amounts on top of that.

Still, having him above Link and Bowser is a bit suspect, but I can't fault him too much. Low-Mid tiers have always been a very muddy topic.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord

The Charizard changes in video format

Holy **** this character is so (forgive me) LIT now

Last edited:

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Word is that :4sheik:'s needles only go ~80% as far now (thanks Yikarur Yikarur ). That's...really significant in tandem with her other nerfs. She's still great but I doubt she's the clear-cut best anymore.
Also, I want to give props to Ulevo for immediately figuring out the implications of the :4metaknight: changes. Dude really knows his character.
The way things are looking now for Meta Knight, they didn't nerf him: they made him more honest. They made his best tool a lot riskier to use. They didn't get rid of it entirely. And with an improved neutral, it's not a stretch to say MK was overall buffed, especially considering :4sheik: might not even be a hard-counter anymore.

The chat in the MK discord is going berserk at the moment with the new findings.

Last edited:

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
Shulk is a lot better that people give him credit for. Do you guys have ever played against or watched a competent shulk player?

Shulk can face Any opponnent and win, except sheik and fox whom are his worst matchups and worse players can beat you. IMO.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I think Sheik is gonna be really interesting to watch now. I always like that she had so many options at her disposal but watching Sheiks fish for 50-50's and needle camp got pretty tiresome. They nerfed her in the best way imo, just like Diddy.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
The nerf I'm most excited for is the MK ladder change.

However, this isn't just because I thought it was bad game design, rather, I'm excited about what this means for his meta development.
Less polarization and more innovation! This alongside Amadeus9 Amadeus9 's concept video of MK's new options AND MK's new Fair make me appreciate the character 10000000000x more.

May need to try the galaxia wielder out again...

Last edited:

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
The nerf I'm most excited for is the MK ladder change.

However, this isn't just because I thought it was bad game design, rather, I'm excited about what this means for his meta development.
Less polarization and more innovation! This alongside Amadeus9 Amadeus9 's concept video of MK's new options AND MK's new Fair make me appreciate the character 10000000000x more.

May need to try the galaxia wielder out again...
What I like is that the ladder is still there, but it's no longer the go-to option. It forces people to use his whole kit, not just the up air.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Her grabs still put in perfect spots for potential killmoves and some 50:50 still exists so..
Yeah I can see how doing downthrow and forcing your opponent to use up their jump still is a advantangeous position as Sheik can trap landings really well. Although not having a 50/50 confirm in the center of the stage might be a bigger nerf than you think.

It was not 3/4 of FD. The old range of Sheiks needles were 2/3 (66,6%) of FD. The new range is 52% of FD. They will still be annoying landings traps, because the range is not necessary for that, but it's a bit fairer.
Oh my mistake, almost. But still a 22% distance nerf of the original.
I think thats going to be more siginifcanct than you think but yeah you can landing trap them still but not from stupid distances. One thing about this distance nerf is that sheik wont be able to throw needles when your opponent throws and projectile and shield before their projectile reaches.

Thats just wrong. The nerf barely matters. And you use needles as a punish anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fjg2Ar9FBc&feature=youtu.be
This is the range at which needles barely misses greninja.
Is it.. wrong? Single needles max range is -35 on block, -28 OOS. Ok. You might not be punished for needling at this distance but if Greninja was one/two characters closer he would definitely get a punish on Sheik. A problem with the new needling range for her is that sheik cant throw needles at characters at max range all the time. The range where needles are safe on block and needles dont whiff has been reduced. Significantly. In 1.1.5, i'd guess that range i just described would be from greninja, to the sheik photo? Any closer and you could dash attack/dash grab. That range where your needles, safe on block and needles that dont whiff would have been the 1.1.5 range + the 22% nerf that the range of needles got. Furthermore even if at max range needles are safe on block, sheik has just lost a lot of stage control for throwing needles on shield and now is cornered.
Needles were designed to be annoying and force approaches anyways. It really isnt the great punish tool honestly unless you have a full stack of needles.

Needles are still very strong though. Zero uses needles in a way where its designed to bait out and fish out options which is still just as effective, he doesnt necessarily needle camp all the time but it's an option that has been nerfed pretty badly.

Fair is like -5 on block. Fair -> spotdodge or fair -> jab beats most punish options and thats only if the opponent reacts perfectly. This numbers get better if you autocancel fair perfectly. So in this scenario the range doesn't matter.
If you space fair then..the nerf almost doesn't matter. It's a really small one. It will rarely make a difference.
It's -5 on block assuming a perfect autocancel, which sheiks wont get all the time. You see zss' nairs get punished every so often which was +5 on block so it's not THAT safe as you think just on its frame data.
Maybe I am over-restimating the range nerf but sometimes the small range nerfs swing things in the opoonents favour. Who knows what moves now can beat out fair with the range reduction.

I think there is almost nothing in this game that is safe on powershield. But it's super hard to powershield sheiks fair because
1. of the low landing lag, She doesn't need to make use of her autocancel, she can vary the timing pretty well.
2. She has an insane autocancel. She can choose a lot of timings to hit you
3. The time between "getting hit by fair" and Sheik landing on the ground is shorter than the average reaction window. She can mix-up her fair with grabs very easily.
At the top level I see a lot of players like Dabuz/Nairo powershield fairs often and punish with tilts/jabs. Its definitely possible, all sheiks are human and can only vary their fair timing to a certain amount. Dabuz makes the powershield timing easier by crouching so Sheik has a smaller opening to vary the fair timing.

I call that Sheik is still the best character in the game, but much harder to use as a pocket character, which is a good thing!
Yeah, rip pocket bnb sheiks. I still think she is very strong but her reduced killing potential/worse neutral might mean she cant keep up with the jank of smash 4 that other top tiers have. Also her weight got reduced so she'll be more susceptible to early kills.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
ZSS is not a bad shout for #1. She still has the best advantage in the game. On platformed stages she is barely any different.

Pretty confident in a Cloud/Bayo/ZSS/Rosa top 4 with Sheik or Diddy taking the 5th spot.

Never mind the kill confirms, Sheik's throw game as a whole has taken a really big hit. You can airdodge out of Fthrow stuff starting at mid percents and Dthrow was never that good at mid percent stuff.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
ZSS is not a bad shout for #1. She still has the best advantage in the game. On platformed stages she is barely any different.

Pretty confident in a Cloud/Bayo/ZSS/Rosa top 4 with Sheik or Diddy taking the 5th spot.

Never mind the kill confirms, Sheik's throw game as a whole has taken a really big hit. You can airdodge out of Fthrow stuff starting at mid percents and Dthrow was never that good at mid percent stuff.
I'm not going to lie, MK losing the bad MU that is sheik (you can actually play neutral against her with fair!), I could actually see MK being better this patch than last, lmao

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
ZSS is not a bad shout for #1. She still has the best advantage in the game.
Sorry but uh... are you forgetting Bayonetta?
I mean ZSS has a much easier time getting into advantage, sure, but I'm pretty sure Bayo has the best advantage in the game bar none, and may have before the MK nerf too

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Sorry but uh... are you forgetting Bayonetta?
I mean ZSS has a much easier time getting into advantage, sure, but I'm pretty sure Bayo has the best advantage in the game bar none, and may have before the MK nerf too
he has bayo ranked higher on his top 4

:150:

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
:4rob:While not Low Tier, he will give Cloud a near-impossible challenge, since he can pretty much force Cloud to approach, and almost guarantees hits against Cloud that would otherwise not hit better characters. Gyro is also a pretty annoying projectile to deal with and Robo Beam makes Cloud kind of want to cry. And let's not forget that ROB has the throw combo ability and great edge-guarding, so good that Cloud's guaranteed dead recovering anywhere. F-Smash or D-Air, pick your death.
I disagree. ROB does not force Cloud to approach much, since his projectiles can be easily shielded while Cloud is charging limit. Additionally, neither of ROB's projectiles can be used again immediately after they are used once. Although ROB does have throw combos, as soon as dthrow upair stops being guaranteed it almost becomes disadvantageous to downthrow him since he can quickly keep you out with dair or nair or just reach the ground. ROB's edgeguarding on Cloud is decent, but it doesn't make up for his absolutely terrible disadvantage state vs Cloud, where being above him almost always guarantees you taking an up air or two. On top of this, Cloud can keep ROB offstage (but not go deep, obviously) and put him in a bad position pretty easily, not to mention that Cloud punishes ledge options much more than other characters. Judging on theory, the matchup in practice, pro opinions, and personal experience, Cloud vs ROB is either 50-50 or slightly in Cloud's favor.

ROB will never touch the ground once he leaves it against Cloud.
Basically. Calling the matchup a "near-impossible challenge" from Cloud's perspective makes no sense.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Oh man, they increased the size of the hitboxes on Mewtwo's Nair. Maybe it won't be trash in nuetral?

Don't have time to write a proper post right now, but here's an idea of how Ganon mains feel after this patch
This is pretty much how the balance team felt after buffing mewtwo again

Yikarur

Smash Master
I'm looking forward to 20XX where people are still crying about Sheik, because those nerfs barely matter :p

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
But Pikachu and Geninja are still way better
I'm being fully honest with you when I say I don't even know if that's true anymore.

I think mewtwo can potentially surpass all the other pokemon. It's pretty scary and exciting how good he is now.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
A run speed buff and tiny weight buff won't suddenly launch Mewtwo past Greninja and Lucario, let alone Pikachu.

He's better than he was but I don't think this patch is as big a deal as the previous Mewtwo buff dump. He'll wind up 20-25th. There are lots of good characters around M2's level.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Pikachu and Ryu's place in the future will be interesting. Some of their worst match ups just got more manageable but, at the same time, they still have some of the steepest learning curves in the game and I think a lot of their players are starting to show fatigue because of this. On top of this, a lot more characters will actually be able to compete against the high tiers (:4dk::4greninja::4myfriends::4lucario::4megaman::4mewtwo::4tlink::4wiifit:) better thanks to direct or indirect buffs so this expanded diversity may force additional "homework" on players who already have their hands full just playing a competent Ryu/Pikachu.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Diddy is definitely a contender for #1 now. Top 5 at worst. His toolkit flows so well with itself, he honestly feels like he was designed by a competitive player. Between his nice command grab and the reward he gets off of regular grab, he definitely has the shield pressure and conditioning tools to win countless mindgames. His fair is a fast, safe option that can be used for an approach and as a gtfo move. His neutral is great obviously. He's kinda booty offstage, but so are rosa and cloud. Even without hoo hah, his banana tricks confirm so much and create so much pressure, it's almost like he'd be broken if he actually had a throw confirm (hehe). He just has so many options at any given moment and no character has the tools to deal with more than one of them at once. What held him back before was him struggling to keep up with the speed, neutral, and footsies of sheik. With the queen being dethroned, things are looking so good for diddy. Idk if he's better than mayonnaise or blonde ike, but those characters are new and counter strategy is still developing.

:4diddy::4cloud::4bayonetta::rosalina::4sonic: my prediction for top 5. Not sure about placement but characters seem about right. If ZSS or Sheik turn out to not drop that much, they'll be there.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I'm being fully honest with you when I say I don't even know if that's true anymore.

I think mewtwo can potentially surpass all the other pokemon. It's pretty scary and exciting how good he is now.

You should probably leave this thread a few days when your hype dies down a little. Mewtwo isn't even close to Pikachu or Greninja

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom