• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yoshi's a solid mid tier at worst so his lack of buffs is understandable. Same could be said about why Megaman and Wario have been barely touched either.
Not like arguing or anything, but outside of Low tier or top tier direct attacks with nerfs and buffs, when it comes to mid tiers it honestly feels like they just throw darts at a dart board to see which character they should toy around with next.

"Ike and Little mac? Let's go with that"
Also forgot to add ROB in your list along with those three.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Of course KO setups are better than landing slower attacks that require something of a read or a prediction of the opponent's actions.

That's the point.

That's why KO setups often get nerfed on characters with lots of strengths in other areas, while those who don't get hoo hahs.

It's all about risk-reward ratios. How much do you have to put yourself on the line to get that stock, and get that win? How much can your character reliably do otherwise?

It's like players are afraid that, oh no, their character might have to put their neck out there to get a KO. I know players will tend towards whatever is safest and most reliable, but that doesn't mean the safest and most reliable things also have to be the strongest tools available.
It's amazing that people are too stupid to take this into account.

Nothing feels better than Showtime > Bait Airdodge > Drop Kick.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Wait, did Zelda actually get buffed?

EDIT: Down throw up air kills Sheik at 110 in training mode.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
"nontrivially"
Clouds changes barely matter tbh
Yeah uh, I hate to burst the bubble here Thinkaman but this is pretty much the best way of putting it. Cloud's adjustments are annoying at worst, unimportant at best.

the things that made Cloud incredibly stupid are still here in full force. Certain aspects have been toned down but it all seems to be catered towards Doubles and not really Singles in particular.

His worst matchup got empirically easier this patch, it's probably one of the biggest victories yet.

Also RIP Spectator sport my ass, tf is this hyperbole? So if y'all ain't cryin for Sheik nerfs it's this now? Smh. You all should be happy, there's a lot of characters who can break out and perform better (including Cloud) because of this. Why are you lamenting?

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Man I haven't liked a patch with no buffs to my character this much ever
Gotta love your worst MU becoming more manageable (Sheik), a losing MU possibly no longer being a losing MU (MK), and an already "losing but honestly not that badly" MU becoming easier (ZSS/Bayo? Never really knew what the Bayo MU was before not enough time to figure it out).

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Gotta love your worst MU becoming more manageable (Sheik), a losing MU possibly no longer being a losing MU (MK), and an already "losing but honestly not that badly" MU becoming easier (ZSS/Bayo? Never really knew what the Bayo MU was before not enough time to figure it out).
Yeah Ike and Cloud got pretty big net improvements solely through metagame changes. It's actually kinda cool that Ike is still getting buffed so to speak =P

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
What's the likelihood of a surge in Rosalina? Is her playstyle unappealing enough to keep her relatively unpicked?
Probably a small gain, but she has enough bad MUs + difficulty in starting off that it won't be much.

Why pick her when you can pick Cloud?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not like arguing or anything, but outside of Low tier or top tier direct attacks with nerfs and buffs, when it comes to mid tiers it honestly feels like they just throw darts at a dart board to see which character they should toy around with next.

I feel like their approach is to pick roughly 5-6 characters to focus on per patch, nerfing high tiers and buffing presumed low tiers. Ike's buffs were probably triggered by the fact that, for whatever reason, Japan still thinks Ike is awful. Still, I'm pretty pleased by how the patches have been handled. This game just lost a whole lot of jank in a single update and I think people will go back to being more optimistic about the future of this game again. For example, as a Wii Fit and Villager player, some of their worst match ups just got a whole lot more manageable and I couldn't be happier.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182

In general I think they target a third to half the cast at a time for balance changes. I can't remember a patch where they dealt with everyone at once (1.0.4 got the closest). Most of the characters changed in this patch were untouched in the last.

Also for ROB he got a very significant Uthrow nerf and now they've left him be so I'm guessing he's where they want.

Sadly I think Jigglypuff is where they want as well.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Shame Dedede got nothing again, but nerfed top tiers are excellent for him (especially ZSS, though I imagine that matchup is still hot garbage).

Also of low-tier note, it's very possible that Zelda now beats us in that matchup (I thought it was even before). D-throw→uair is no joke, even for Dedede. F-tilt as well is legit scary. Dedede can't afford to try for grabs in that matchup now because Zelda's going to get so much more reward at that range. Regardless, it sounds like a very fun match to play through (but I don't think there are any Zeldas in my region...).

Jalil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JeMaraj
What's the likelihood of a surge in Rosalina? Is her playstyle unappealing enough to keep her relatively unpicked?
Unless the nerfs to zss, sheik and mk were enough to make her win those matchups, she still has a problem with cloud and even/losing matchups against a handful of other characters. I think she'll stay around the same place she's always been.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Rosa beats Bayo, though. Luna is one of the few things that can break you out of combos.
And Luigi and Yoshi beat Sheik. /sarcasm

Just because you can break out of combos doesn't mean you automatically win.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
His nerfs to Limit Break are pretty significant, if you ask me, especially aerial Finishing Touch being neutered meaning spontaneously dying at 40% from a good read will no longer be a thing. The nerfs to his Smash attacks will also have some impact, I'm sure.
They are? I guess from Doubles I'd agree but Limit Cross Slash is still absolutely broken and like.....IMO nothing's really different. You're just not going to die at 40 to a silly hard read but given how much more reliable LB CS is maybe this will make more people realize just how stupid the move is. What I DO think they did is fixed up what Cloud was doing dumb in the DOUBLES metagame which is awesome, although I hear the change only applies to Aerial Finishing Touch so Finishing Touch on Platforms might be a Doubles thing. Anyone wanna test this?

The most significant nerf to Cloud was the Limit Charge time nerf and it barely changes much besides needing at most one more grab > reset to neutral to fill up Limit. Considering it still fills when he deals 250% damage/takes 100%, you'll be getting it roughly as much in real matches still thankfully.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
His nerfs to Limit Break are pretty significant, if you ask me, especially aerial Finishing Touch being neutered meaning spontaneously dying at 40% from a good read will no longer be a thing. The nerfs to his Smash attacks will also have some impact, I'm sure.
Hate to break it to you man, but Finishing Touch stopped being a factor when Cloud's realized that Limit Side-B was so much more reliable for kills.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Did anyone ever use Dsmash or Fsmash? They seemed pretty unsafe to me.

I think people are underselling the nerfs a tad (longer charge time = less LBs per match due to interruptions during charging, Uair nerf is something I'll happily take), but in the long run his main killer of LB!SideB is still there. He lost some power, but quite noticeably less of a loss compared to some of those around him. I don't think any of his MUs got worse, just maybe some of the even ones feeling even more even basically.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
And Luigi and Yoshi beat Sheik. /sarcasm

Just because you can break out of combos doesn't mean you automatically win.
Rosalina is designed to stuff approaches. Bayonetta already isn't the best at approaching, and Rosalina can stop Bullet climax easily. A well-played Rosalina can stop Bayonetta from realistically getting in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
the real winner of this patch is not cloud. i think it is diddy kong. people are still sleeping on him a little. imo, he is top 3
It has BEGUN!

12645212_207796609567687_1109574719968426921_n.jpg

I told you all about this moment.

GLORIOUS HOO-HAH NATION IS BACK AGAIN!

I believe Diddy now actually beats Sheik.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I have mixed feelings about this patch. Sure, sheik, ZSS, Bayo, and MK got deserved needs and that made the balance a bit better. But, since we know they'll continue to patch the game, everything is subject to change and that's unsettling for me

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Did anyone ever use Dsmash or Fsmash? They seemed pretty unsafe to me.

I think people are underselling the nerfs a tad (longer charge time = less LBs per match due to interruptions during charging, Uair nerf is something I'll happily take), but in the long run his main killer of LB!SideB is still there. He lost some power, but quite noticeably less of a loss compared to some of those around him. I don't think any of his MUs got worse, just maybe some of the even ones feeling even more even basically.
Eh, the charge nerf is .6 seconds based on testing, so I don't see the ratio going down significantly. Factoring in the Limit you build from taking damage + being heavy I think it'll be a bit less but not enough to really factor in.

Granted I do agree, he probably has more honest looking even MUs on paper based on this solely because of the small adjustments. He was probably the least adjusted Top Tier of the bunch which is weird to me. It seems that they were totally targetting his doubles viability (even the Limit Charge nerf makes sense in a Doubles context, less Finishing Touch.)

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Yet Street Fighter V doesn't have a percent mechanic that affects the combo potential of moves. These two fighting games have so many differences at the fundamental level that you simply can't draw the comparison.

Tri Knight Tri Knight it goes to show that nerfing one move can be enough to ruin a character.
If nerfing one move ruined a character, then that character was a bad one to begin with.

Since we're on the topic of Kirby characters, may I mention how Kirby is very slowly being given more and more kill power? IIRC, he's gotten small KBG increases in all his smashes and hammer for the past three patches. Does anybody think these have been compounding over time to make a larger difference in Kirby's viability?
Any :4kirby: mains wanna theorize how the Sheik MU will be now? :)

I would agree with you, but the up aerial combos weren't unbalanced. You know why?

1) they had a narrow 5-10 % window
2) Mk's up air has only one active frame
3) you'll have to follow DI and fast-fall up airs

There was an actual execution barrier there. I would agree with the nerf if the combo was easy to pull off, but that's not the case.

A nerf is supposed to be given to a move/combo that is both really good AND really easy to use.
Disagree. What counts as an execution barrier at year one of a fighting game is automatic and "easy" by year three.

:4cloud: also got roll nerfs. Hm. What were his 4 bad MUs? Sheik, ZSS, ...? Sheik can still edgeguard the crap outta him, ZSS's edgeguarding looks like it just got stronger with the side-B buff... Ike and Shulk outrange him in the air which puts a kink in his usual gameplan... Marth now goes even with him at least...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Can someone tell me what the Mewtwo buffs are?

The thought of an official competitively viable Mewtwo is exciting as ****!

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
:4cloud: also got roll nerfs. Hm. What were his 4 bad MUs? Sheik, ZSS, ...? Sheik can still edgeguard the crap outta him, ZSS's edgeguarding looks like it just got stronger with the side-B buff... Ike and Shulk outrange him in the air which puts a kink in his usual gameplan... Marth now goes even with him at least...
Roll nerfs? That's....weird but not largely concerning for me. Fairly understandable given his neutral and counterpoke game.

Speaking of Shulk, he has a bit more of a chance to shine now maybe? Dunno, even with the top nerfs I have no idea if it's in ways that will help him rise up. Would certainly be interesting if he could! I'd like it to be the case anyways.

Also Marth went evenish with Cloud at 1.1.4 and I doubt it's changed here. Marth got a VERY relevant range increase that actually let him hit buttons in the Cloud matchup lol. I imagine if you ask Shaya Shaya 1.1.3 Marth vs. Cloud was a silly matchup. It's been a lot better since 1.1.4.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Whoa, Cloud rolls are baaad now. I mean, they're not Mewtwo bad but being active from 4-15 with 17 frames of endlag is nothing small.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Im fully convinced that this is one the best patches we've ever gotten.
The one who made the shields as they currently are are also real good. As was last patch that buffed Mewtwo, but am exited to see the changes!

Ike buffs to! MAN!!! ALL MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS GETTING SO MUCH LUV! <3333333333333

I might actually have to buy the game now. ( I don't own a Wii U nor Smash 4 - nor a 3DS)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Eh, the charge nerf is .6 seconds based on testing, so I don't see the ratio going down significantly. Factoring in the Limit you build from taking damage + being heavy I think it'll be a bit less but not enough to really factor in.

Granted I do agree, he probably has more honest looking even MUs on paper based on this solely because of the small adjustments. He was probably the least adjusted Top Tier of the bunch which is weird to me. It seems that they were totally targetting his doubles viability (even the Limit Charge nerf makes sense in a Doubles context, less Finishing Touch.)
To be fair, he was basically killing Doubles and you could pretty much argue he was as bad as Brawl MK in Doubles. Where it was almost borderline "you must have at least one Cloud/Brawl MK in your Doubles Team, two of them are most likely optimal".

@ Shulk talk: I'm doubtful he's really going to gain any popularity. He's the one low tier character that has been really tried by a lot of top level players and they've all dropped him. Just too much work for not enough results. He had more bad MUs than just the top tiers.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Whoa, Cloud rolls are baaad now. I mean, they're not Mewtwo bad but being active from 4-15 with 17 frames of endlag is nothing small.
Guess they're trying to discourage Limit Camping by using rolls. Those are PRETTY BAD LOL. Thank god for the neutral game.

To be fair, he was basically killing Doubles and you could pretty much argue he was as bad as Brawl MK in Doubles. Where it was almost borderline "you must have at least one Cloud/Brawl MK in your Doubles Team, two of them are most likely optimal".
I def agree, he was REALLY stupid in Dubz and this is for the absolute best. It was getting kind of cancer-y. 20FF was becoming a reality.

I'm pretty satisfied with this patch tbh.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
By how much were his rolls nerfed?
Is it the invincibility or the endlag?

Yikarur

Smash Master
like I said some pages back.. Mewtwo is actually a good character..

and then the patch dropped

NOW no one should have doubts anymore.

I wish Cloud would've been hit harder. His Limit Cross Slash is basically still the same :/

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
By how much were his rolls nerfed?
Is it the invincibility or the endlag?
Took 2 frames off of the invincibility at the end. Corrin got the same treatment. Except Corrin's roll already had 1 less frame of invincibility than Cloud's, now it only has a total of 10 I frames. And they added a frame to the total roll time, up from 29 to 30. So 4 frames start up, 10 I Frames, 16 Cooldown frames.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
More Bayo nerfs are rolling in. Dair has more ending lag so she can't walk off FD, Dair, and recover - she has to jump or short hop. Why was that ever a thing, though?
Yeah her DAir got nerfed from completely stupid to really good. It's pretty much the only safe to use falling DAir off stage assuming you're still slightly above the actual stage.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Hey, look at that, Sheik's been nerfed worse than Greninja now. No really, Needles used to go a lot further than the middle of FD, and now they barely even get to the middle in terms of range. Not only that, but weight's been nerfed so much that she can even more easily die? What's next, a Down Throw ne-

...oh. That's right. D-Throw isn't as reliable anymore at higher damages. In fact, her F-Throw got nerfed with combo reliability. KBG is not a good thing for her in this run.

But I think after this, I'm satisfied...

And won't even mention someone else...
Someone who needs to be talked about...

:4ganondorf:...:4zelda::4samus::4link::4metaknight::4cloud::4mewtwo:

...oh. I'm going to get to them later by order in my next post. The patch made me want to actually try Ganondorf again since he has better combo ability thanks to a faster Jab and Dash Attack. Oh, and that power makes it all better for him.

jespoke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jespoke
Zelda's roll was basically buffed up to be the same as Cloud's was nerfed down to :p

Edit: Oops, it was Neutral-B, not roll

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Zelda's roll was basically buffed up to be the same as Cloud's was nerfed down to :p
Well, we do know one thing.

ZeRo's going to have to go through hell making ANOTHER tier list video series thanks to this patch. And the patch changes on characters, too.

Except that Sheik is still easily top 10 and likely top 5.
Well, if she is top five, she is possibly around 3-5, and if top 10, possibly 6-7. She's still got a lot going for her, but the nerfs to her have really, really damaged her and turned some 6:4 MUs into even MUs, and makes 7:3 MUs more tolerable.

(Oh, and Ganondorf has a frame 6 jab. Now his jab is considered fast.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom