• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4/19 Gigabits - The Melee exploded into a Brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
I am saying we should just debate the entire stage selection here in this thread since the tourney is three weeks away.

Pokestadium 2, Port Town, and Shadow Moses. What are your obvious reasons? Most people who have a problem with a bunch of stages in Brawl are just afraid of any stage that has anything not 100% normal to it. I would ban luigi's mansion before I would ban the first two of the three listed there. There is nothing wrong with Pokemon Stadium 1. The windmill saved people from dying in melee also.

Gmoney

Smash Ace
Jacksonville, FL (UNF) Location: Tavares, FL
If anyone is interested I could use a teammate for that tournament. PM or something if you want to be buddies ;p.
Sup, Alvin? I'd team with you to remember those old times back home, but a friend of mine and I have been practicing. :( But, yeah, is there a possibility you could house us for the night after Gigs at your apartment? That'd be beastly. By the way, I'm trying to get the Jacksonville scene motivated enough to come down. Maybe you can team with one of them. I think we have an odd number anyways. I'll see you there either way. ;)

Oh, and it's all about that Wario.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Colbol has a month to get good at brawl. You noobs better be scared in a month. Were winning this tourney.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Less then 3 weeks actually!

But Colbol is going to need years before he can out spam my MK.

So you'll have to do all the work for him.

On the subject of stages, I vote that we only use the more tame counterpicks, until we find out more about the game. Delfino worked fine at Hard Knocks. I'd assume there's a few more that would be okay, but I really don't think that obscure (and somet imes camp-tastic) stages should be legal counterpicks because they aren't random enough.

And Shadow Moses Island is the worst stage ever. I really don't like it. I'd rather play Hanenbow.

Finch

Smash Lord
I am saying we should just debate the entire stage selection here in this thread since the tourney is three weeks away.

Pokestadium 2, Port Town, and Shadow Moses. What are your obvious reasons? Most people who have a problem with a bunch of stages in Brawl are just afraid of any stage that has anything not 100% normal to it. I would ban luigi's mansion before I would ban the first two of the three listed there. There is nothing wrong with Pokemon Stadium 1. The windmill saved people from dying in melee also.
I really don't think I should have to explain this, but Poke stadium 2 is one of the least fair stages in the game, not because it does weird things that seriously interrupt normal gameplay (although it certainly does), but because it gives certain characters painfully easy kills. Diddy's bananas can get really easy kills when placed on the conveyor belts and high gravity is especially fun for G&W, who can uair you to death quite easily and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Shadow moses not only ****s over characters that can't kill off the top, but add DI into the mix and it quickly becomes one huge tech fest until someone finally misses one at 250%, bounces off the walls 3 times, and dies. It's like playing temple except you have to stay on the lower level the whole time. Also, d,d,d and f0x get easy infinite combos on it. Finally, Port Town is such an obvious ban I don't know why you even had to ask about it. Invisible cars can kill you at like 30%, not to mention that ******** wall that takes up half the stage and results in an easy stock.

Seriously, Br@wl stages are awful. Me lee had some bad stages too, but in br@wl the developers went out of their way to make most of them unacceptable for competitive play. I'm amazed we even have 5 neutrals. I don't mind playing on weird stages like hanenbow or luigi's mansion, but to be killed at such low, low percentages by Port Town's cars or Norfair's lava is unacceptable.

OTRU...

Smash Champion
both poke stadiums are gay, my personal preference is still with poke 1 tho, i cant stand poke 2

the boards are so gay right now!! i hate this stupid april fool day thing

Laijin

Smash Hero
The only stages that should be banned are:
Onett and ShadowMoses(For Marth, Kirby, etc infinites)
Mushroomy Kingdom(Infinites trapped against the walls = super death)
Bridge of Eldin(Falco Infinite)
Spear Pillar(Reverse controls)
Wario Ware(for obvious reasons)
New Pork and Hyrule
Mario Bros

The neutral stages should be pretty obvious(Castle Siege, Battlefield, FD, Lylat, Smashville, Delfino, Pokemon Stadium 1) and everything else should go as a counter pick.
This is roughly based off the format used at the last big tournament I went to and it worked out really well

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
lol nah buddy, its an april fools day, swf changes certain words to other words

like metaknight ---> metakn1ght

Hahaha...Joe, you just got mindgamed. he knew about the filter...otherwise, he couldn't have said what he said.

I really don't think I should have to explain this, but Poke stadium 2 is one of the least fair stages in the game, not because it does weird things that seriously interrupt normal gameplay (although it certainly does), but because it gives certain characters painfully easy kills. Diddy's bananas can get really easy kills when placed on the conveyor belts and high gravity is especially fun for G&W, who can uair you to death quite easily and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Shadow moses not only ****s over characters that can't kill off the top, but add DI into the mix and it quickly becomes one huge tech fest until someone finally misses one at 250%, bounces off the walls 3 times, and dies. It's like playing temple except you have to stay on the lower level the whole time. Also, d,d,d and f0x get easy infinite combos on it. Finally, Port Town is such an obvious ban I don't know why you even had to ask about it. Invisible cars can kill you at like 30%, not to mention that ******** wall that takes up half the stage and results in an easy stock.

Seriously, Br@wl stages are awful. Me lee had some bad stages too, but in br@wl the developers went out of their way to make most of them unacceptable for competitive play. I'm amazed we even have 5 neutrals. I don't mind playing on weird stages like hanenbow or luigi's mansion, but to be killed at such low, low percentages by Port Town's cars or Norfair's lava is unacceptable.
Well, I get to play point - counterpoint on this... (and I hate to do this while the censor is around, but I will try anyway.

On the one hand, Br@wl has some REALLY bad stages...like...it's like they tried to make certain stages really bad. W@rioware is a very good example of wtf stage design.

Other stages, though...and a lot of them...are REALLY good...really legit. Delfino is my favorite transforming stage ever...BF is amazing, Sm@shville is amazing. Many of the counterpicks are legitimately good. quite a bit more stages are able for counterpick, than in Me lee, imo.

Now, Port Town is not one of those...random hits from the track walls... "invisible cars"...weird transformations and REALLY low percentage kills just disrupt things too much...my opinion, of course, but yeah. A tournament legal stage should not be disruptive to that degree....just random.
I'm one of the big anti-Norfair people out there...I just don't think it belongs on the list. The level spacing DEFINITELY promotes camping to a greater degree than most of the stages...multiple ledge invincibilities are weird to deal with...and the lava. Now honestly, the lava alone, imo, would not be a reason to ban this stage, but it certainly adds to it. I'm ok with the side laval...and the floor lava...but the random flares from the background and the huge wave that will kill around 90%...they tip it over the top for me. I don't think the stage belongs.
PokeStadium 2 really shouldn't even be debated...it's banned....come on. Low Grav lasts for like 10 seconds...during which, everything goes really random...add to that the killer conveyors...just no.
I really, really like Shadow Moses...I really, really do...but with DeeDD = win there...I can't see it being fair. I kinda justify banning of that stage as they justified the banning of Onett in melee for F ox... I know that a counterpick is used to give your character/playstyle an advantage...but advantage is not a possible...and pretty simple 0-death off a single grab...that's not right.

Honestly, I think people are a bit too hasty in some of the bans, but others are obvious...I consider these just too much...shouldn't be on the list. Sometimes, I wonder about the Pictochat ban...and I know I'm probably outnumbered...it's random too, I guess I just really like the stage is all. lol.

Also, I'd like to make a point...just because a stage is banned in Me lee shouldn't necessarily make it banned in Br@wl ...same with legal stages. I think we need to really reevaluate the Me lee stage list...and why exactly each one is banned / available.

I'd personally think that Japes should be banned....because of the water mechanic now meaning an instant death near the left side...instead of being able to just jump out.
I'm also not sure why Pipes would be banned now...F ox can't waveshine...F ox definitely doesn't equal instant win there anymore...so maybe reconsider that one.

No idea what I think about Corneria...that's up for grabs.
Rainbow cruise is basically the same in mechanic...the falling blocks are now walls, which I don't like, but I don't think it changes it enough to ban it...I think that one's perhaps more fair now than in me lee

Finch

Smash Lord
I agree. Although I hate pipes, it's an acceptable counterpick. Japes probably shouldn't be anymore, but idk. Not every tournament had it in me lee. Delfino is indeed a great, great stage. Castle Siege is really fun too, although the statues are annoying. Pictochat is fine; it interrupts **** but it's not as dumb as flat zone 2. Idk why everyone hates Pirate Ship so much. The flipper takes like 3 seconds to set up and doesn't kill at too low percents, and the cannonballs, though gay, are very easy to see coming. Do people hate Halberd? It seems like a fine counterpick to me. I have an open mind about this but, as I said, a lot of stages are a completely obvious ban.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
I've seen numurous different situations where the ship level has killed people randomly. I think if the level can kill someone without seeing it commin, it should be banned....

Pipes might be ok, if Dedede can't CG off the level, its up in the air right now.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
How does the ship kill people randomly?
well, the part when they shoot bombs at you, although thats not as random since they are pretty easy to see coming. And when the little lever on the left side flips up in your face and sends you flying almost perfectly horizontal off the screen to the left.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I know you guys are all going to call this idea stupid, but I was thinking:

What if, because the results were less set in stone about who will win, they evened the pot distribution a little, like 40/20/10.

If 40 people showed, that's a $600 pot, the distribution would be 240/120/60.
50 = $750 pot, 300/150/75
60 = $900 pot, 360/180/90

I know that Icekid wouldn't like this, because he want's to take as much $$$ from us as possible :p, but isn't that what we want; to do something that Icekid doesn't like AND gives us all more money? :laugh:

Anyway, maybe Cecil can have a vote for it or something, because I believe it would be the favor of the VAST VAST majority to even the pot distribution for this tournament this way.

Later tournaments can revert back to the old distribution, because there will be a more narrow range for best in FL, but with so many skilled players out there (fighting for top 3) like Skrach, xYz, Dguy, and Zoro, it'd be nice to hand all three placers a decent envelope, instead of giving third the old Floppy Envelope.

I <3 the community, so don't hate me in return, just say how you feel about this.

OTRU...

Smash Champion
yo what about uuaa? is he gonna be at gigz?

EDIT
i was reading on the first page and it doesnt mention anything about matches being timed, so I was just wondering if theyre going to be timed? if so I'd recommend 8 min per match, cuz 5 min at hardknocks was def not enough, anyone agrees?

Gindler

Smash Champion
We could always pull the old "But Hard Knocks played only neutrals and that was awesome, you want to be awesome too don't you gigabits?" That'd make me listen if I was a LAN center.

Zoro

Smash Champion
We could always pull the old "But Hard Knocks played only neutrals and that was awesome, you want to be awesome too don't you gigabits?" That'd make me listen if I was a LAN center.
I counterpicked in some matches and i was happy Gigs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>H knocks.

everyone knows it

8 min is good

uuaa will never come to a smash tournament again for a few reasons

1)he dont like brawl
2)he has a gf and when he has a gf its either
a.go to smash
b.go to movies or other places with gf or hang out at his house and maybe have sex

he likes b alot more.

3) he cant be technical anymore.
4) hes rediculously poor

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
LOL chris zoro, hilarious post... ahhhaha i'd go with b.) too hahaha.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
None of my matches hit the time limit at Hardknocks. Play more aggressive people! :)
Well, A-L and I had a really intense Mario - Lucario match, in which neither of us camped...and it timed out... so yeah, it needs increased some. I support the 8 minute idea.

Also, Hard Knocks was far from awesome...while the neutral stage idea was great and simple and all...it also took off a large number of incredible stages and limited the actual strategy aspect of the game. so no thanks on just 5 stages...not for me, thanks.

On topic of that...what would you guys feel about possibly incorporating custom neutrals at some point? I'm not saying for this tourney, per se...just eventually. I've created a couple that I feel would work...idk...just an idea. with the SD card being able to save stages on it...it's an easy transfer over.

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
Fair enough. I was just basing that on my experience.

As for custom neutrals, I think it's a good idea, but might be too complicated. Getting people to agree on details and stuff would be more trouble than it's worth, in my opinion. If we eventually got everyone to agree to a custom stage or two, than sure.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I support custom neutrals as well, I just hate getting his by a random car at port town or have someone throw me into a bomb at pirate ship (I just like a nice level where people fights aren't interfered with 30 seconds of dodging something rather than fighting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom