• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"****"

Caretaker

Smash Rookie
So, coming back to the smash bros. community after a couple of years of being with people who are, you know, ~socially aware~ has led me to question the usage of '****' as a synonym for 'good'.

Far be it from me to preach, but surely there are some people around here who are uncomfortable with this.

I'm not even going to touch the use of 'gay' as a pejorative - that ship seems to have sailed long ago.

thoughtscomments?

Caretaker

Smash Rookie
Welp, this issue can't have been brought up -that- many times, or logic would suggest there must be some substance to it!

Anyway, I suppose everyone is too busy anticipating the ****-athon that is Apex to bother with something trivial like political correctness.

God forbid that anyone who has experienced **** might tune in to the stream.

ps I swear I'm not just trolling, I greatly enjoy this game + community for the most part, but things like this (and 'gay') make me kind of uncomfortable, and I -do- intend to try to discuss thangz (however futile that may be) post-Apex times.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Well the term ''****'' as a synonym for good(to be more accurate what it does it describe a great performance) is above and beyond the smash community. That is used by the entire video gaming community. To change that part of the smash jargon you'd have to try and change the larger community imo.

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
Generally, I think people just see it as an evolution of language, and don't really care how people react to the word. Most are obviously not talking about REAL **** when they mention the word, the definition has changed in this case. And yeah it can be offensive, but I think the people who take offense to it should lighten up a bit. I mean, who cares what words someone uses? There are a lot more things to be concerned of, I don't think anyone has the right to take away this word or not be offended.

Sure I guess the community could be a little more... respectful, when using the word. But then again, I don't see why anyone should give in to people who focus more on the words than the meaning behind them.

All in all, I don't see the big deal behind it, nor why it would have to change. It's just another word that happens to have a serious issue tied to it, just like a bunch of other words. People should just learn to be a little less sensitive instead of forcing everyone around them to censor themselves.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
It certainly doesn't do any favors for the video game community. I mean, is anything sacred? Is **** a funny or casual thing to our demographic?

Caretaker

Smash Rookie
I guess we're all in a position of privilege, being detached enough from the word '****' as to be unaffected by its usage. I certainly don't react to the word in the way as, say, a **** victim might, or even a female might, based on their respective circumstances.

It's difficult to argue that the word '****' in this context is 'an evolution of language', removed from its original context, as the usage was clearly derived from the original meaning of ****, i.e. A player completely dominating or '******' another.

In the end I guess you just end up normalizing / glorifying ****.

On another note, I feel as though the word **** is more prevalent in the Smash Bros. community than in the (admittedly reasonably few) others I have observed

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
I guess we're all in a position of privilege, being detached enough from the word '****' as to be unaffected by its usage. I certainly don't react to the word in the way as, say, a **** victim might, or even a female might, based on their respective circumstances.

It's difficult to argue that the word '****' in this context is 'an evolution of language', removed from its original context, as the usage was clearly derived from the original meaning of ****, i.e. A player completely dominating or '******' another.

In the end I guess you just end up normalizing / glorifying ****.

On another note, I feel as though the word **** is more prevalent in the Smash Bros. community than in the (admittedly reasonably few) others I have observed

Well I think the definition of **** is "any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person", which is not how we use it. SOME people might, but to most, it means as said above, "awesome" or "good". Yes, it's because he destroyed someone, but kicking someones *** isn't ****. And it's never involentary in smash. So we've changed the definition.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I hear "getting off" or "doing work" faaar more often than I hear "****."

To be honest, the word isn't that prevalent in the community any more. It's just a part of a few players' diction and is said without thought. (Like the word 'gay' synonymous to 'stupid')

Caretaker

Smash Rookie
oh boy, 'gay' is the -worst-

And yeah, I imagine the melee community has aged/matured considerably considering the game's age, so that's heartening

Massive

Smash Champion
This community isn't actively growing on any scale, there's no reason for us to censor our language for people who probably weren't going to play the game anyway.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Doesn't matter it's not like potential new players watch Melee streams anyway.
I think this may be changing with Twitch.tv now. A lot of gamers are watching streams of games that they're not familiar with because of Twitch.

Caretaker

Smash Rookie
I don't know, whether or not community growth is at stake, I feel as though more of an effort could be made to make the community welcoming to newcomers, as well as the various minorities already part of the community.

I mean, whether or not you think it's 'wrong' to use the words '****' or 'gay', one should refrain from using them because it's likely to offend people, and heck, communities with members as intelligent as the average pro gamer should have no problem coming up with more descriptive synonyms.

(Disclaimer: it ~is~ wrong)

Caretaker

Smash Rookie
I searched '****' and it came up with hundreds of unrelated threads, which I guess is further proof that this is a problem.

I take solace in the fact that 3663 people also find this offensive~

Massive

Smash Champion
(Disclaimer: it ~is~ wrong)
Right and wrong are just words themselves. What you do and the way you act is what matters.

There are many people who would never utter **** but have performed it. Almost every smasher who says "****" has never ***** anyone and probably never will.

I believe people are smart enough to know the difference between something said as a joke and something said seriously. People who wear their emotions on their sleeve and get hurt by harmless joking are usually not cut out for the competition aspect of this to begin with.

Kal

Smash Champion
Where do you draw the line? If the word "*****rdly," offends the people around me, should I avoid using it? Some random, harmless words and expressions can potentially harm people (I know I cry a little when I hear people say "I'm debating whether to..."), but that alone doesn't qualify the words or expressions for censorship, or even for a moral highground against their use.

I think you should be careful in specific situations: if you know someone around you has been the victim of ****, or is emotionally hurt by the use of the word, then don't use it. I would not, however, suggest censoring yourself, or taking a sanctimonious stance against its use.

Edit: Holy ****, Smashboards censors the word. It has an "a" in it, god damnit.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I searched '****' and it came up with hundreds of unrelated threads, further proof that this is a problem.

No, the search function just sucks is useless, which is nothing new. It's actually so bad I have to use google to search smashboards. I kinda agree with you, even though english is not my first language and thus I'm sort of "immune" to any verbal vulgarities I really don't enjoy listening smash commentators repeating stupid **** meaningless words like "swag" over and over. I do enjoy Wife's commentary because of the language he uses:

"He just got vigorously annihilated / brutally destroyed etc."

as opposed to

"He got *****"

English is a very rich language in terms of vocabulary, it's a shame that just few (vulgar) words are used extensively to describe so many different, although similar, scenarios.

Acryte

Smash Ace
At one point smashboards censored ****. It was changed to rebecca black; bus stop; no cereal. which was amazing lol.

Threads like these are dumb because even though we understand where you are coming from, you can't get every player to agree to use and share your vocabulary. Until you can get the majority of them to do that when they honestly don't think much of it, then yea... the thread is kinda pointless. Also its a detached saying these days, I don't think people actually picture falco physically ****** someone in their head when they say it. The reason it started as is has though is because simply its something terrible that happens to someone. That's why it started being used in the first place I'm sure. Which obviously, hasn't changed. I doubt that gamers have had a global change of heart.

HomeStylePie

Smash Cadet
On the internet, just about every site draws new viewers every so often. There's always posts in Melee discussion from people who have single- or double-digit post counts. Also, there was some ridiculous number of people on the stream for The Big House (was it over 2k?).

Competitive melee gets way more attention from people outside of the community than you think, but those people don't look at the community as an inviting place so they don't come to your tournaments. Mango still can't make a coherent sentence without the words "gay" or "****" even though he's legally allowed to vote and buy a gun. There are probably SF and MvC players out there with a genuine interest in smash, but they're never gonna play in a tournament because they look at the smash community in general as a bunch of babies compared to their gaming communities.

I'm not saying that use of terms in the pejorative is the only thing that's holding the community back, but it's just one major sign that a lot of the community needs to grow the **** up.

Kal

Smash Champion
No, the search function just sucks is useless, which is nothing new. It's actually so bad I have to use google to search smashboards. I kinda agree with you, even though english is not my first language and thus I'm sort of "immune" to any verbal vulgarities I really don't enjoy listening smash commentators repeating stupid **** meaningless words like "swag" over and over. I do enjoy Wife's commentary because of the language he uses:

"He just got vigorously annihilated / brutally destroyed etc."

as opposed to

"He got *****"

English is a very rich language in terms of vocabulary, it's a shame that just few (vulgar) words are used extensively to describe so many different, although similar, scenarios.
If you guys want to get into a pretentious discussion about what language is worth hearing, that's an entirely different issue. While I am arbitrarily predisposed to hating the new jargon, with expressions like "swag," "jank," "salty," and "do work," at the same time, noting that this predisposition is entirely arbitrary is pretty important. What people consider pretentious today would be considered incorrect in the past. Language changes. If we're going to complain about new lingo, we should just speak Old English. Or German.

I'm not saying that use of terms in the pejorative is the only thing that's holding the community back, but it's just one major sign that a lot of the community needs to grow the **** up.
Oh come off it, it's bull **** to suggest that anything other than:

1) We should play Smash out of the box, and don't, so we suck
or
2) Smash is a party game, **** that ****

is justification for other communities not taking us seriously.

Massive

Smash Champion
There are probably SF and MvC players out there with a genuine interest in smash, but they're never gonna play in a tournament because they look at the smash community in general as a bunch of babies compared to their gaming communities.
This is a joke right?
Have you ever been on SRK?

They are dealing with CoD-level morons in those communities (because the games are "New and Exciting®!"), we just have to deal with entitled 15-year-old brawl players.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I searched '****' and it came up with hundreds of unrelated threads, which I guess is further proof that this is a problem.

I take solace in the fact that 3663 people also find this offensive~
If i can tolerate all these white people saying nigga surely you guys can grow some damn skin and stop bein so damn sensative about words that mean nothing.

:phone:

HomeStylePie

Smash Cadet
No, I don't go on SRK, so I was pulling that part out of my ***. What I can say with confidence is that I myself have considered going to tournaments and passed because I'm pretty sure I'd rather not meet Mango or the people who ride his ****, and I'm positive I'm not alone.

I'm offering this advice to everyone here and I don't care whether you pay attention or not cause I'll probably never meet you in person. I've worked in corporate offices and they don't care if I say s***, a**, or f***, but I would never use gay or **** pejoratively (edit: and especially not n****r/n***a) because it shows bad taste and makes me look as if I have zero class. Any person who values maturity is gonna look at it in the same way.

Self-censorship is a virtue, kids.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Some SRK people can be pretty calm and chill (though, Dustloop tends to be more calm, and both places, like any forum or community have their share of ridiculous posters). The topic of '****' as a term was always a little weird to me since while I never had a problem with people using it, I could see why some did. That being said though, it's not as awkward as the time I was talking to someone who told me "stay free" and "super free" meant the same and that "super free is like ultra owned". Which is wrong on SO many levels. :urg:

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
No, I don't go on SRK, so I was pulling that part out of my ***. What I can say with confidence is that I myself have considered going to tournaments and passed because I'm pretty sure I'd rather not meet Mango or the people who ride his ****, and I'm positive I'm not alone.

I'm offering this advice to everyone here and I don't care whether you pay attention or not cause I'll probably never meet you in person. I've worked in corporate offices and they don't care if I say s***, a**, or f***, but I would never use gay or **** pejoratively (edit: and especially not n****r/n***a) because it shows bad taste and makes me look as if I have zero class. Any person who values maturity is gonna look at it in the same way.

Self-censorship is a virtue, kids.
Oh

And you need I grow up

:phone:

Top Bottom