• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"****"

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
To me it boils down to freedom of speech vs a desire to maintain a certain level of professionalism on the site. Although it is true that irl you cannot avoid hearing such words used in various contexts, there are many settings where such speech is considered highly inappropriate and is not tolerated. It's clear that the mods have sided with freedom of speech on many scenarios. Similar to how they don't view "goddamn" as worthy of being censored. There is really nothing that can be done to change it, and those who feel offended cant do much aside from distancing themselves from those who engage in such speech. No sense in getting worked up over something you can't fix, imo.

:phone:

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Or "body", which I've always quite liked.
(as in "to body" or "he got bodied").

I do not deny this, but does our Smash culture find **** "perfectly acceptable"?
Also, Masked Math speaks the truth. It may be "perfectly acceptable" for us to use the WORD within the context of our group, but it would demonstrate poor social skill or situational awareness if you use the word among uninitiated.
The act? Obviously not. The word in the sense that we use it? Yes.

And agreed.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
The word **** also doesn't exclusively refer to forced sexual intercourse with another being, it can also refer to any kind of act where another being is outrageously violated(so a truly disgusting sight could **** someone's eyes). I believe it can also refer to forcibly seizing something from another.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
I point at things with my middle finger.

From a personal standpoint, there's no reason that someone should be so self-centered as to think that, when a word takes on a different meaning, they should be offended by the old meaning.

Discussing whether or not using the word "****" implies that we condone **** in any extent is simply asinine.

Edit: Also, see: "The **** of the Lock"

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
I didn't read the thread, so i don't know if this was mentioned or not, but words are just words. It's all about the intent. People who take things at face value usually have some insecurities that they need to deal with.

Something is only a big deal if you make it a big deal. Something is annoying only if you allow it to annoy you.

A person has a lot more control over a situation than he thinks.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Only to those who are initially insulted by the word.

In a simpler statement: no, it doesn't.
Nine hundred and ninety-nine out of a thousand cultured people are going to have a negative reaction to the word (they won't be insulted so much as repulsed). No one is going to say "Oh, look, these charming young men have come up with an alternate definition that does not necessarily connotate sexual assault! 'Anal, no spit?' How lovely! Isn't language fascinating?" Get your head out of your ***, dude.

In a simpler statement: yes, it does.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Nine hundred and ninety-nine out of a thousand cultured people are going to have a negative reaction to the word (they won't be insulted so much as repulsed). No one is going to say "Oh, look, these charming young men have come up with an alternate definition that does not necessarily connotate sexual assault! 'Anal, no spit?' How lovely! Isn't language fascinating?" Get your head out of your ***, dude.

Lol, agreed. +1 for humorous yet effective analogy.

Geist

Smash Master
I mostly see this as people being offended for other people's sake, especially for the arguments against the use of 'gay' as derogatory slang. So many people in this community are actually gay, but strangely really don't seem to give a **** themselves that this word is being used.
Okay, for usage of the word ****, sure, I can sympathize with the sympathizers, but probably moreso if I still didn't know a multitude of **** victims who not only openly use the word, but openly joke about the real thing.

But I guess we have to complain about something on the internet

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman

Sardonic analogies are often false, just as that one is. Neither will they say, "Oh, look at these neanderthals. They obviously are cheering for the winning player to take sexual advantage over the other."

It doesn't make us appear "culturally defunct". Not in that sense, at least. Is it less politically correct? Yes, obviously. However, I'll repeat myself..."no, it doesn't."

Edit:
Okay, for usage of the word ****, sure, I can sympathize with the sympathizers, but probably moreso if I still didn't know a multitude of **** victims who not only openly use the word, but openly joke about the real thing.

But I guess we have to complain about something on the internet
I was going to get into this, but I didn't want to get into "that's personal opinion, some people are still blah blah..."

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
It (the more extreme cases mostly, like "omg anal **** no spit") makes you seem young and immature more than anything. Unless some of you plan on saying it the rest of your lives, lol. But I doubt many of you will.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Massive said:
It's more akin to prison **** than man-on-woman ****. Not that that improves the nomenclature at all.
ok lets just agree to say prison-**** instead now. I mean, if you're in prison that's kinda the price of admission so its generally on you.

example: Massive and Melomaniacal prison-***** this thread.

Now everyone is happy. Except the people in prison. too bad.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Sardonic analogies are often false, just as that one is. Neither will they say, "Oh, look at these neanderthals. They obviously are cheering for the winning player to take sexual advantage over the other."
It's great how you feel the need to constantly misrepresent our argument. Has anyone said that people will think we're literally in favor of ****? No. Why are you saying we are? It's more than just disingenuous--it's OBVIOUSLY disingenous. If you're going to argue in bad faith, the argument's already over, and you did NOT win.

You're also confused about the probable reaction of people to your language. They won't think you're a neanderthal, they'll think you're a child, because it's a childish thing to do. Having our commentators talking about **** on major streams is just about as unprofessional as it gets.

It doesn't make us appear "culturally defunct". Not in that sense, at least. Is it less politically correct? Yes, obviously. However, I'll repeat myself..."no, it doesn't."
A vast majority of civilized people will think less of you and of your community if you use the word **** in the way you're accustomed to. IDK WTF you mean by "culturally defunct," but political correctness is not a bad thing in doses as small as the one we're prescribing. I think you're a little desensitized to what the word means in the world outside of your social circle; try going to the supermarket and pointing out to a stranger that Izze sparkling juice is "****."

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
It still makes you/us look like ***hole basement-dwellers.
Aren't we?

There's a lot we can do to make Smashers look good, but to whom? If we're courting other gamers (say, Shoryuken) does "gay" or "****" make a difference? We may look like ***holes to all the people who don't play games anyways.

We may, of course, be ***holes by insisting on using hurtful words instead of being a bit nicer. But that's a different question. I tend not to be an ***hole, but maybe it's glib of me to tell you that because I never used the words to begin with. For gamers who have always talked about "gay stages" and "**** sets" it must be harder to choose other words.

There's plenty of green grass on this side of the fence though! "Beast" is a terrific replacement.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Aren't we?
Many of us are. Some of us aren't.

And looking good as a community isn't solely about sponsorship or gaining members or whatever. It can be as simple as looking good to randoms or friends or whatever who aren't ***hole basement dwellers.

Example: my girlfriend caught me watching a video entitled "Mr. **** and Watch 2" a few months ago. That's a tough one to explain.

Kal

Smash Champion
Is it really that tough to explain?

"Mr. Game and Watch is a character in this video game. '****' means he kicked ***. No, Smashers aren't classy. Now let's drink our $2 bottle of wine and quit judging everybody."

MaskedMarth, I find "beast" more offensive to the sensibilities than "****."

Battlecow

Play to Win
Of course she understood that it was a video game, but it's still awkward and it reinforced her opinion of this thing I do as an unhealthy and strange pastime, filled with cretinous and unwholesome people.

Kal

Smash Champion
That stereotype won't disappear until competitive gaming becomes more mainstream. I don't think that, if everyone were to start speaking perfect American Standard English (of course, you're welcome to speak British Standard if you live in the UK, or Australian Standard if you think the accent doesn't **** the ear lobe), people who hold these prejudices would suddenly drop them.

I find it hypocritical and ironically pretentious when people condemn others for using "offensive" jargon. From now on, I'm going to use the word "*****rdly" more often just to upset people.

And seriously, Smashboards, stop censoring the ****ing word. It's not offensive.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Of course she understood that it was a video game, but it's still awkward and it reinforced her opinion of this thing I do as an unhealthy and strange pastime, filled with cretinous and unwholesome people.
Who cares what somebody who is never going to be part of the smash community thinks about the smash community?

Sounds like a personal problem, bro.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Seems like "Beast" replacing "****" would be fitting right now. :awesome:

ManicRaider

Smash Cadet
Isn't using the word '****' a general thing in the video game community? It's not just Melee.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It doesn't make us appear "culturally defunct". Not in that sense, at least.
I disagree.

Also everybody: You're not really funny saying "lolthisthreadrapes." We've both anticipated and heard the joke. Zero points for originality there. Let's try and actually discuss things.

Back on topic: I generally try and cater my language so that I don't look like some sort of sexual predator/misogynist/homophobe to the populace unacquainted to the scene. You should all try it out! You can use more original words that don't have negative contexts instead! You can be a linguistical savant!

Kal

Smash Champion
The word "*****rdly" offends virtually every English speaking person in the United States. Should I take it out of my vocabulary to avoid offending people? Perhaps. Is it fair to act like a sanctimonious *** because I don't use the word? No, because the line you choose to draw here is totally arbitrary.

Words change meaning. "Imbecile" used to refer to an individual with a moderate to severe type of mental ***********. Now it's more-or-less synonymous with "idiot" (though you're only allowed to say it if you're old or pretentious). I'm not condoning the use of any terminology, as I think it should be judged on a case-by-case basis (hint: if you're around a **** victim and happen to be playing Smash, think of another word). I just don't get this pretentious, sanctimonious view people are taking against using the word. You're literally only being offended by the word, not its meaning. It seems entirely absurd to me.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
If I had been ***** in the past, and somebody said to me today "wow, that combo was ****" and I was being perfectly objective about it, it shouldn't offend me.

EDIT: Though I guess it would remind me of when I was *****, which is kinda bad.

Kal

Smash Champion
Beat, I give it about four more posts before we cycle back to the beginning.

Kal

Smash Champion
Or we could just pad the thread with nonsense for more than four posts and destroy my prediction. But that would be a hater move.

Top Bottom