• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2013 Community Tier List

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Sorry, but it's pretty obvious you don't know what you're talking about if you think Marth sucks at dealing with shield dropping. He is probably the BEST character when it comes to dealing with it. He can shield poke really well, nair to catch them with the second hit, wait a second and shield break them, late uair-utilt, late aerial-shield grab, or late aerial-DD grab. Every other character has to have perfect momentum and spacing in order to avoid getting hit by shield drop aerials (and even then it is often impossible). Marth can outspace everyone's aerials, most of them fairly easily.
I think players without much experience think a certain technique is a 100% guaranteed counter when they see it work over and over in a certain match, specially if there are somewhat god players in that match. I used to think that shining out of marth's up throw was the counter to his chaingrab combos, until my friends started pivoting away of my shine and grabbing me before I could jump out.

I think shield dropping against marth may work only if you're close enough to hit him (depends on spacing) and it may result in a trade (with an uptilt) I think Marth can just CC a grab and b throw if you're on a side platform to get you off stage, I don't see many people shield dropping fast enough into shine srsly.

Most people I hear explaining why Marth is bad on PS vs. FD bring up the platforms as if they are some sort of problem when I would consider them the best plat setup in the game for Marth. They are just so low that all of his moves cover huge portions (sometimes all of it), it buffs his tomahawk mixup, and he can get off the plat and get to the ground sooner to start moving asap. They are also further from the ledges so that it's harder for opponents to use them when recovering, which is an option Marth very rarely uses himself anyway. The biggest change that helps Marth is that there's no top plat. Fox circle camping with the top plat is the bane of many character's existences, but on PS that isn't an option. Fox can't safely and easily make which side of the stage he is coming down on ambiguous, and the more predictable he is, the more hits Marth is going to land. It's much easier to zone a speedy character in one dimension than two. Also, vs. Falco, I think PS might actually be better than FD because you can use the platforms to get around lasers a little easier or bait him into running under you and then WD off to get control of center stage of fair/bair him. As a Falco, I see myself getting very little mileage out of the platforms. Marth just doesn't usually end up on top of them, and when he does it is during combos that are actually more consistent on FD than PS. All the plats do is give Marth opportunities to slide off after dairs and more opportunities to trap me into platform tech chases where he can easily fsmash on reaction.
I srsly don't see why people think marth sucks vs spacies on any stage with platforms, don't you guys know that he can uptilt, uair or grab you on a platform and combo / tech chase you? No offense, you guys play bad marths lol

As far as Sheik is concerned, I will just say that every time I see an actual Marth main play Sheik, they do fine. Ether and MT have both demonstrated their capabilities vs. Sheik overall and PP has even taken games off M2K's Sheik with Marth, so I can't see any reason to assume the matchup is any worse than a slight advantage. It's a shame there isn't more Marth vs. Sheik action at the top level to base it off of.
This ^.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Lol bones. How do you expect to have any meaningful dialog if your first line is an insult? I honestly laughed at the irony of it, tho. I suppose I deserved it.

Anyways, Idk what your rant about stadium is about. Not even related to what I was talking about so... LOL. Can't tell if you think Marth beats Fox on stadium or you are just bored and need to argue.

The problem shield dropping poses for marth is subtle. Formerly, he could do simple combos and traps by throwing someone onto a platform and following their actions from below. Shield dropping poses a serious threat, since marth must now respect the fact that opponent is actually threatening him. Yes, marth can reposition and punish them if they do it, but thats the entire point: Marth is no longer doing his "im going to stand under you and util/uair you for 70% then edgeguard". Since marth has repositioned, he is no longer below the opponent and thus not controlling their movements. Wavedashing away from Marth is now unpunishable by him, so his trap is null. Simply the threat of shield dropping cost marth a huge combo. Theoretically Marth could throw them up and combo them without giving them a chance to ever get out, but that is very rare. Most combos in this game are actually positional and frame traps.

One of the biggest flaws with Marth, and why I see him continuously going down on the tier list: he is inconsistent. Unlike the other top tiers, Marth has practically 0 guaranteed kill combos, and unless its a spacie it doesn't start with a grab. If the opponent avoids an edgeguard and lives past 100%, Marth's options for killing them become very restrictive. He also has one of the worst shields, a low active frame count on his attacks, and 0 "get off me" moves. He is good at holding his ground and keeping people out, but he doesn't have a projectile and hes really crummy at moving forward.

Zoler

Smash Ace
Sheik is more versatile? She gets destroyed by both puff and ics to the point of needing a secondary but ok I guess she's more versatile than marth who only slightly loses to sheik and falcon.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Lol bones. How do you expect to have any meaningful dialog if your first line is an insult? I honestly laughed at the irony of it, tho. I suppose I deserved it.
Well, I did say sorry. Next time I will just find a more long winded way of explaining that I disagree with you.

Anyways, Idk what your rant about stadium is about. Not even related to what I was talking about so... LOL. Can't tell if you think Marth beats Fox on stadium or you are just bored and need to argue.
You said the only place Marth has an advantage over spacies is on FD. I disagree and think PS is almost as good for Fox and even/possibly better vs Falco.

The problem shield dropping poses for marth is subtle. Formerly, he could do simple combos and traps by throwing someone onto a platform and following their actions from below. Shield dropping poses a serious threat, since marth must now respect the fact that opponent is actually threatening him. Yes, marth can reposition and punish them if they do it, but thats the entire point: Marth is no longer doing his "im going to stand under you and util/uair you for 70% then edgeguard". Since marth has repositioned, he is no longer below the opponent and thus not controlling their movements. Wavedashing away from Marth is now unpunishable by him, so his trap is null. Simply the threat of shield dropping cost marth a huge combo. Theoretically Marth could throw them up and combo them without giving them a chance to ever get out, but that is very rare. Most combos in this game are actually positional and frame traps.

One of the biggest flaws with Marth, and why I see him continuously going down on the tier list: he is inconsistent. Unlike the other top tiers, Marth has practically 0 guaranteed kill combos, and unless its a spacie it doesn't start with a grab. If the opponent avoids an edgeguard and lives past 100%, Marth's options for killing them become very restrictive. He also has one of the worst shields, a low active frame count on his attacks, and 0 "get off me" moves. He is good at holding his ground and keeping people out, but he doesn't have a projectile and hes really crummy at moving forward.
I'm not sure what simple stuff you are talking about that used to work. The only thing that's changed with shield dropping and Marth pressuring from underneath is that now Marth can get punished for bad pressure whereas before the opponent merely escaped by jumping/WDing away. Even if small differences somewhat reduce Marth's effectiveness vs. platformed opponents, he is still one of the best at dealing with it and every character is affected by other characters being able to shielddrop bad pressure.

Yeah, KOing is definitely a problem, but he definitely has throw combos into KO moves on characters other than spacies. Just check out Kadano's thread in the Marth forums. I don't see why comboing into KO moves is such a big deal anyway. Most KOs do not occur at the end of a combo, at least on non-FFers. It's almost always ended during an edgeguard or straight out of neutral with a single attack. Marth is great at edgeguarding and his attacks in neutral are very safe with decent DI mixups (utilt vs. fsmash). His shield is bad, but you shouldn't be shielding a whole lot with such great ground movement to begin with. He has specific timings on his attacks, but that is a tradeoff for having HUGE hitboxes on every single move. Marth moves forward just fine. He can't SHFFL attacks at people and expect to win, but dtilt combined with his ground speed alone are amazing approach tools.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
When I said Marth has problems I didn't necessarily mean he outright loses to those characters, but he has more trouble because he has close MUs, but suffers from the other player likely being much more familiar in MU, and losing because of it. In comparison, characters like spacies don't really need to know very many MUs because they can just stupid their way through low tiers using the simple minded staples they always use.

Marth definitely isn't the best character for beating shield drops, I'd say that would be Fox. Marth's hitbox are always out for such narrow windows, it makes them easier to navigate around in tight situations (like when you're shield dropping into them). His larger hitboxes make it harder for you to get in, but when he hits a shield above him, he is essentially letting you in.

Splice

Smash Hero
The problem shield dropping poses for marth is subtle. Formerly, he could do simple combos and traps by throwing someone onto a platform and following their actions from below. Shield dropping poses a serious threat, since marth must now respect the fact that opponent is actually threatening him. Yes, marth can reposition and punish them if they do it, but thats the entire point: Marth is no longer doing his "im going to stand under you and util/uair you for 70% then edgeguard". Since marth has repositioned, he is no longer below the opponent and thus not controlling their movements. Wavedashing away from Marth is now unpunishable by him, so his trap is null. Simply the threat of shield dropping cost marth a huge combo.
A failed shield drop can be quite costly though and people don't get it all the time. That comes into play a bit, because it seems to me very few people are consistent with shield drops, and very few people go for it every time they can.
I personally find his Utilt the hardest thing to shield drop and then get a hit on him before he Utilts again, whereas against other characters the speed of my aerial after the shield drop doesn't have to be quite so tight.

Being able to shield drop is a threat to everyone though, how exactly are you guys saying it may affect the tier list?

Last edited:

Zoler

Smash Ace
Sorry but no because no
Yeah you told me about puff but you agreed that ICs are tough I guess you just don't think they require a secondary. I agree that ICs is harder though for sure.

I saw you didn't do that bad vs Hbox though so keep it up!

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I lost mostly to my (lack of) composure in the clutch moments. And for not doing certain things that I knew to do before but hey that's what I get for being AWOL for 8 months. I think my strategy was okay for the most part.

I personally go Fox vs ICs now but that's more because I literally cannot practice the matchup with Sheik regularly because there are no ICs mains in Canada except Hammertime (who's MIA a lot) and she's so fragile vs them that it's tough for me to learn anything about the matchup on the fly. I've always stated that I'm probably biased about ICs vs Sheik due to my inexperience and not knowing the ins & outs of the matchup and have avoided writing much about the matchup due to this. Not missing l-cancels with Fox seems to be a reasonable way to beat most ICs though so that's what I'm currently working with.

Having said that, I don't think I'd switch if I could practice the matchup all the time like I can with Puff (thanks to Krisp now and Idea in the past). I used to think Puff was a dumb matchup but then I learned it and it wasn't so bad.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
I told someone at a tourney tonight that I am training up my Marth for the Puff matchup. They said, "Are you serious? Isn't that Marth's worst matchup?" I blame commentators. :facepalm:

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think we need more commentators with relevant game knowledge. . .
Or they just need to stop acting like all of their opinions are widely accepted factual statements. 90% of commentary is people explaining their opinion on the matchup instead of actually talking about what the PLAYERS ON THE SCREEN are doing. Not to put Prog and D1 on blast, but every single set they commentate sounds almost exactly the same. You could take the commentary from any one of their matches and paste it into another match with the same characters, and no one would be able to tell. They talk about the same matchup things like they were reading a script. When I hear Lovage or Wobbles commentate, they're always analyzing what the player is doing and the only time they tend to repeat any of their comments is when they're commentating the same player in another match and the player is implementing the same strategies. The last match I've heard from Prog and D1 was actually RoM 7 pools, Mango vs. Jman.

Good examples of Prog and D1 pointing out relevant stuff:
0:40 - Jman's usage of shine after Mango's dair fails to knock him over
1:25 - Jman knows when to jump out of certain setups
3:18 - Jman DAed with the intent to steal Mango's jump (10 seconds and 1 stock after the fact I might add)
3:35 - Jman's FH drill after getting lasered, and Mango's DI afterwards
4:27 - Mango looking for a roll

Unfortunately, that amounts to a whopping 5 instances of the commentators talking about the actual decisions being made by the players. I'm also being very generous with these because most of the things they pointed out aren't even decisions per se, just automatic habits for certain situations. I understand you need some light talk about other stuff, especially when you're watching pools matches between less notable players, but this is Mango vs. Jman in one of the most exciting, fast-paced matchups in Melee. Instead of discussing spacing, crossups, shielding, move choice, option coverage, teching tendencies, or anything related to what actually determines the winner in a Melee match, the commentators are concerned with what colors they are wearing, how close Jman is to the TV, and my personal favorite, what year it is.

Again, I'm not trying to insult Prog and D1 because as far as most commentators go, they are really solid. Melee is also a really hard game that is even harder to commentate because of the speed of the decision making, but the insane number of decisions made per second should also kind of make it easier for commentators to notice just ONE every 10-15 seconds and point out what impact it had on the match. I hope commentary can get more insightful with time, and perhaps TOs of major events can start picking commentators with better game knowledge. Obv not everyone wants to commentate, but some of the players I hear commentating relatively important matches can go entire sets without pointing out a single decision made by either player. When they aren't criticizing or lauding opinions, they are spouting their own (usually ridiculous) opinions about how broken or impossible a matchup is for either character.

To me, and I think to most competitive players, getting a glimpse into the mind of a pro player is the whole appeal to watching them play, and commentators are there to facilitate that. There are tons of people who just like to be in awe of the pretty combos, but they aren't going to be in any less awe just because the commentators are talking about how that combo started or worked. If anything, they might learn why a particular combo was so awesome and be even more amazed by it. That is certainly what attracted me to Melee. I thought the combos looked cool because I couldn't do them, and then as I figured out how to do them myself, I realized just how complex they are. In the grander scheme of things, I think this overall focus on the gameplay convinces more people to start playing than a focus on hype or player personalities. Those things are important to stay invested, but if the viewer doesn't understand the skill required to play the game, Melee tournaments are just one big soap opera. There's no reason for a random person to pick Melee over Marvel, football, or any other game unless you can convince them Melee players are more vastly more skillful and impressive human beings (whether or not you think they are isn't really relevant to the point).

RedEyesWhiteSwaggin

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this was covered on one of the other 25 pages lol but can someone give me a rundown of why sheik/marth are above Puff?

I understand this is a community tier list and I think that means its based completely off of votes of notable players (correct me if I'm wrong).

From the matchup perspective, she destroys Peach and handily beats everyone I can think of below peach. Falcon doesn't do horribly and I'm not entirely sure about Pika/Doc. I've heard IC's do well against her (not a lot of data here afaik) but IC's beat Sheik and do well against Marth. I'd say she also beats Marth/Sheik, but not horribly (has the general consensus changed on this?). I'd say its pretty even against falco or slightly in her favor (which is equal to/better than Sheik/Falco and Marth/Falco MU's are). She obviously loses to Fox just like everyone in the game except maybe Marth on FD lol. I'd say the Fox/Puff MU isnt any worse than the Fox/Marth,Sheik,Peach matchups so like 6/4.

Sure she has YL as a niche CP (I cant think of any others) but she does better than Marth in the Gannon/Peach/Pika/Falcon MUs (can't think of any MUs she does notably better in than Sheik atm). Note that I'm not saying Marth loses any of the mentioned MUs.

From the tournament perspective, I havent seen any Sheik beat Hbox ever really lol. KK was close and wasn't at the top of his game but I havent seen M2K or any european sheiks beat him either. Puff combo's her a lot harder and gets edgeguard rests and her recovery is miles better. I also havent seen any marths beat hbox (M2K, PPU, Moon, etc). Sure PPU and The Moon aren't really on the same level as hbox. Puff gimps, combos, and rests him hard and can eat his recovery. It seems like Marth will not win the match unless he gets some hard read tippers/dthrow>tippers or finds some other way to consistently low % kill puff.

So assuming its generally agreed upon that Puff wins against Marth/Sheik still (again, not sure if opinion has changed), that Puff does comparably well against the spacies, and that Puff does better/comparably well against most other characters, why on earth do the vast majority of top players put her below Marth/Sheik? I realize there is not a lot of puff data other than Hbox (the only other one I can think of other than Darc/Soft but I havent seen much of them video wise and what I have seen doesn't change my mind).

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Sorry if this was covered on one of the other 25 pages lol but can someone give me a rundown of why sheik/marth are above Puff?

I understand this is a community tier list and I think that means its based completely off of votes of notable players (correct me if I'm wrong).

From the matchup perspective, she destroys Peach and handily beats everyone I can think of below peach. Falcon doesn't do horribly and I'm not entirely sure about Pika/Doc. I've heard IC's do well against her (not a lot of data here afaik) but IC's beat Sheik and do well against Marth. I'd say she also beats Marth/Sheik, but not horribly (has the general consensus changed on this?). I'd say its pretty even against falco or slightly in her favor (which is equal to/better than Sheik/Falco and Marth/Falco MU's are). She obviously loses to Fox just like everyone in the game except maybe Marth on FD lol. I'd say the Fox/Puff MU isnt any worse than the Fox/Marth,Sheik,Peach matchups so like 6/4.

Sure she has YL as a niche CP (I cant think of any others) but she does better than Marth in the Gannon/Peach/Pika/Falcon MUs (can't think of any MUs she does notably better in than Sheik atm). Note that I'm not saying Marth loses any of the mentioned MUs.

From the tournament perspective, I havent seen any Sheik beat Hbox ever really lol. KK was close and wasn't at the top of his game but I havent seen M2K or any european sheiks beat him either. Puff combo's her a lot harder and gets edgeguard rests and her recovery is miles better. I also havent seen any marths beat hbox (M2K, PPU, Moon, etc). Sure PPU and The Moon aren't really on the same level as hbox. Puff gimps, combos, and rests him hard and can eat his recovery. It seems like Marth will not win the match unless he gets some hard read tippers/dthrow>tippers or finds some other way to consistently low % kill puff.

So assuming its generally agreed upon that Puff wins against Marth/Sheik still (again, not sure if opinion has changed), that Puff does comparably well against the spacies, and that Puff does better/comparably well against most other characters, why on earth do the vast majority of top players put her below Marth/Sheik? I realize there is not a lot of puff data other than Hbox (the only other one I can think of other than Darc/Soft but I havent seen much of them video wise and what I have seen doesn't change my mind).
I think you're focusing way too much on results. The fact that Hbox beats all the Marth/Sheik players consistently (he actually dropped a set to KirbyKaze at Apex for the record) isn't really relevant to whether or not the matchups are good. He's just a better player.

The difference between Marth and Puff is only 0.11 points, so it's not like there is even a huge disparity to begin with. If I had to guess, I'd say one of the key elements for giving Marth the edge over Puff is that he deals with Fox much better. Almost everyone agrees Puff struggles vs. Fox, and struggling vs. the most common character is never a good look. Beyond that, it's really just going to be based on how people "feel" about their ideal Marth player vs. ideal Puff player, and I think a lot of people understand so little about Puff's actual gameplan in most matchups that they struggle to envision a gdlk Puff player.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Or they just need to stop acting like all of their opinions are widely accepted factual statements. 90% of commentary is people explaining their opinion on the matchup instead of actually talking about what the PLAYERS ON THE SCREEN are doing. Not to put Prog and D1 on blast, but every single set they commentate sounds almost exactly the same. You could take the commentary from any one of their matches and paste it into another match with the same characters, and no one would be able to tell. They talk about the same matchup things like they were reading a script. When I hear Lovage or Wobbles commentate, they're always analyzing what the player is doing and the only time they tend to repeat any of their comments is when they're commentating the same player in another match and the player is implementing the same strategies. The last match I've heard from Prog and D1 was actually RoM 7 pools, Mango vs. Jman.

Good examples of Prog and D1 pointing out relevant stuff:
0:40 - Jman's usage of shine after Mango's dair fails to knock him over
1:25 - Jman knows when to jump out of certain setups
3:18 - Jman DAed with the intent to steal Mango's jump (10 seconds and 1 stock after the fact I might add)
3:35 - Jman's FH drill after getting lasered, and Mango's DI afterwards
4:27 - Mango looking for a roll

Unfortunately, that amounts to a whopping 5 instances of the commentators talking about the actual decisions being made by the players. I'm also being very generous with these because most of the things they pointed out aren't even decisions per se, just automatic habits for certain situations. I understand you need some light talk about other stuff, especially when you're watching pools matches between less notable players, but this is Mango vs. Jman in one of the most exciting, fast-paced matchups in Melee. Instead of discussing spacing, crossups, shielding, move choice, option coverage, teching tendencies, or anything related to what actually determines the winner in a Melee match, the commentators are concerned with what colors they are wearing, how close Jman is to the TV, and my personal favorite, what year it is.

Again, I'm not trying to insult Prog and D1 because as far as most commentators go, they are really solid. Melee is also a really hard game that is even harder to commentate because of the speed of the decision making, but the insane number of decisions made per second should also kind of make it easier for commentators to notice just ONE every 10-15 seconds and point out what impact it had on the match. I hope commentary can get more insightful with time, and perhaps TOs of major events can start picking commentators with better game knowledge. Obv not everyone wants to commentate, but some of the players I hear commentating relatively important matches can go entire sets without pointing out a single decision made by either player. When they aren't criticizing or lauding opinions, they are spouting their own (usually ridiculous) opinions about how broken or impossible a matchup is for either character.

To me, and I think to most competitive players, getting a glimpse into the mind of a pro player is the whole appeal to watching them play, and commentators are there to facilitate that. There are tons of people who just like to be in awe of the pretty combos, but they aren't going to be in any less awe just because the commentators are talking about how that combo started or worked. If anything, they might learn why a particular combo was so awesome and be even more amazed by it. That is certainly what attracted me to Melee. I thought the combos looked cool because I couldn't do them, and then as I figured out how to do them myself, I realized just how complex they are. In the grander scheme of things, I think this overall focus on the gameplay convinces more people to start playing than a focus on hype or player personalities. Those things are important to stay invested, but if the viewer doesn't understand the skill required to play the game, Melee tournaments are just one big soap opera. There's no reason for a random person to pick Melee over Marvel, football, or any other game unless you can convince them Melee players are more vastly more skillful and impressive human beings (whether or not you think they are isn't really relevant to the point).
What I find funny is that a decent chunk of the community prefers "hype" commentators over insightful ones. I love Waffles and Phil as much as the next guy, but I can't understand how someone would refer to them as the best commentators in the scene.

RedEyesWhiteSwaggin

Smash Apprentice
I think you're focusing way too much on results. The fact that Hbox beats all the Marth/Sheik players consistently (he actually dropped a set to KirbyKaze at Apex for the record) isn't really relevant to whether or not the matchups are good. He's just a better player.

The difference between Marth and Puff is only 0.11 points, so it's not like there is even a huge disparity to begin with. If I had to guess, I'd say one of the key elements for giving Marth the edge over Puff is that he deals with Fox much better. Almost everyone agrees Puff struggles vs. Fox, and struggling vs. the most common character is never a good look. Beyond that, it's really just going to be based on how people "feel" about their ideal Marth player vs. ideal Puff player, and I think a lot of people understand so little about Puff's actual gameplan in most matchups that they struggle to envision a gdlk Puff player.
Yeah, I getcha. Puff is a really strange character to understand at all lol. I'm actually curious to know what hbox and others think of as their prime directive in matchups. I'd definitely agree that Puff does worse against fox than either marth or sheik but not by a lot. It just seems wierd that they're both above puff when she clearly beats both of them and she has better matchups on the rest of the cast than marth.

Yeah I might be focusing on results too much but its reaal convincing when the undisputed best marth and sheik, M2K couldn't come close to beating Hbox for 2+ years (?). Even when M2K is convincingly the better player in terms of longevity and placement. But yeah, good points. I guess I'm going to try to watch a lot mor Darc since I've really enjoyed him everytime I've seen him and maybe I'll learn something about the puff v sheik/marth.

john!

Smash Hero
What I find funny is that a decent chunk of the community prefers "hype" commentators over insightful ones. I love Waffles and Phil as much as the next guy, but I can't understand how someone would refer to them as the best commentators in the scene.
this might sound cocky but i don't really care about most commentators' opinions about the game. i can see why a new player might find it helpful, but i much prefer the people who hype up the match.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Indifference/Apathy Tier: KirbyKaze
*gasp* Tier: Scar
He Wasn't Hype That One Time Tier: Toph
He Trash Talked Super Mean That Other Time Tier: Toph's evil twin
Marth Commentary Tier: The Crimson Blur, Ken
Friendship Is Magic Tier: Prog+D1, HMW+Phil

Honorable Mentions:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I actually commentated at Polybash for some sets

Hopefully I don't come across like that anymore haha :p

My favourite FWIW is Wife, followed by the guys who commentated Cactuar vs Aho at P5.5

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
If by commentators getting more insightful with time, you mean they'll say minimally relevant phrases in funny voices repeatedly more and more often. . . then we're on the right track.

La Luna! (The Moon was involved)

Al Bundy! (because a foot was involved)

etc. . .

I'm not saying I'm a better commentator or anything, but I think we can do better than what we have been doing.

RedEyesWhiteSwaggin

Smash Apprentice
He's always used fox vs. puff (last time I saw him go marth vs puff was ROM1 winners finals)
lmao, you're right, idk where I'm getting this. I guess the only matches I ever watch of M2K v hbox are when he went marth and I assumed that was normal as a CP. tbh I always skipped the fox v puff matches until recently since I don't play either and its usually depressing. I actually went and found more matches where M2K when puff than he did marth and I couldn't find any sheik lol. He must have some ironclad reason (to him at least) as to why he never tries sheik. It also doesn't help that a lot of old tourney recordings are pretty badly organized/spread out :c We need the RoM/Genesis HD remastered rerelease ;o

Last edited:

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Of all of Marth's match ups, Sheik still remains his only pure counter (which is far from the most skewed match up in the game, even between top tiers). Jiggs is just a weird MU because she doesn't play by the same rules of other characters. She can weave in the air, has extremely potent punishing, and she is safe offstage/ can be hard to land good conversions on. Considering these peculiar characteristics and the fact most Marth players are poorly versed in the match up, its easy to see how they can fall prey to Jigglypuff things by clinging to core Marth play; especially since those core things involving going for grabs. Just watch PPU's set vs. Hbox and then watch the Moon's. Their relative success is night and day. PPU opts to use shield and invade Jigglypuff's space so he can force Hungrybox to put himself in situations where Marth can attack. The Moon, on the other hand, simply let Hbox dictate the match.

As for Sheik vs. Jiggs, I always wondered about this MU. I imagine the punish game is a little skewed in Jiggs's favor, particularly in edge guarding, but I don't think there are any inherently obvious advantages throughout the entire MU.

RedEyesWhiteSwaggin

Smash Apprentice
As for Sheik vs. Jiggs, I always wondered about this MU. I imagine the punish game is a little skewed in Jiggs's favor, particularly in edge guarding, but I don't think there are any inherently obvious advantages throughout the entire MU.
A little lol? She can rest any up b, she can rest any grab, she can combo into rest reliably with uair/utilt. The only punish sheik gets is grab>fair which doesnt kill till well over 50 on yoshis or usmash which doesn't kill very early unless you tip it. Puff can actively gimp sheik and sheik cant really return the favor. The only kills sheik gets are by trading with her fair/bair or with grabs which are super risky. That being said, Sheik can definitely space puff fairly well with bair/ftilt.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
A little lol? She can rest any up b, she can rest any grab, she can combo into rest reliably with uair/utilt. The only punish sheik gets is grab>fair which doesnt kill till well over 50 on yoshis or usmash which doesn't kill very early unless you tip it. Puff can actively gimp sheik and sheik cant really return the favor. The only kills sheik gets are by trading with her fair/bair or with grabs which are super risky. That being said, Sheik can definitely space puff fairly well with bair/ftilt.
Your views of the Puff vs Sheik matchup are very different than mine.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
I think we are looking at the punish game differently. You are only seeing it in regards to pure capability which doesn't necessarily give you an idea of actuality. Sure, Jiggs is able to punish grab with rest, but is this really an option if Sheik never goes for grabs?

To elaborate, and to perhaps patronizingly state, being able to get hits is an important part of the punish game. Sure, Jiggs has some extremely powerful stuff, but Sheik is extremely threatening since she can respond to changing situations vary rapidly due to her very fast attacks, high vertical mobility, and great jumpsquat. If the MU becomes a battle of hit-for-hit, its hard to say who has the upper hand.

However, as I stated earlier, Jiggs definitely outclasses Sheik in terms of edge guarding. Sheik isn't really able to challenge a recovering Jiggs as well as the other way around.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Sheik Puff is a fine matchup for Sheik. Definitely playable. Ice and M2K are just atrocious at it. Grabs are in fact a possible way to succeed in the matchup but you have to go about getting them very differently than how you would vs most other characters.

I do not feel Sheik lacks strong rest punishes. Zelda kick is a strong punish, killing Puff in the 70s on DL64. Another good one is tipped u-smash, which works if Puff lands on side platforms on 3/6 of the current stages on the stage list. On 2 of the remaining stages where tipped u-smash doesn't work (BF and DL64), it also takes Puff 3 jumps to reach the side platforms from the edge, which means Sheik's recovery onto a platform is much harder to rest without the Puff sort of predicting where she's gonna ultimately poof to. Which means you can mix your recovery options to have a chance at surviving and more equipped to play the long game.

As far as I can tell, Puff only really wins combat solidly in two or three positions vs Sheik. So basically if you're playing as the Sheik as long as you avoid those three siutations (Puff's back to you & level with you while you're both airborne, Puff underneath you when you're airborne, Puff crouching in front of your shield) then Puff needs to work pretty hard to get hits on you and get in on you.

Last edited:

birdy21

Smash Cadet
I saw a recent match in a stream i think it was ice vs a jigglypuff, But when the puff was at moderate % ice turned into zelda. Zelda seems to kill puff at prettylow %! Seemed to be a pretty good strategy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom