• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1/30 Syracuse Smash Round 2 !!! Snakee & RaynEX!!!

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Oh, the irony. Some RIT frat has a tourney the same day. Would've been fun to wreck the less-than-awesome people, but I guess they get off easy with the best of the best shipping out. Not like I'd take steamroller victories over real matches.

Derp a derp.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
In all honesty, I typically see myself getting *****, but in this case I know I would get super *****. Like, there's absolutely no point, even with all the practice I've been getting in.[/typical emo person]

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
I never said I would ***** out. But I personally think it'll be a constant problem for me because I have no one to play melee against at all. I can only go to UB once a week, and I can't go out to the North Campus fluently. The thing is, I can't improve much in the first place because of this. I know playing against people like RaynEX, and I.B. and blah blah blah would get me better, and I could learn from them, I would just feel better if I was able to play against people I couldn't four-stock in less than 0:50 at half my capacity. Meaning, I know I need to get my *** kicked a number of times, but not as badly as RaynEX, TEG, or someone good would do it, I need to inch my way up there, see.

altairian

Smash Lord
I never said I would ***** out. But I personally think it'll be a constant problem for me because I have no one to play melee against at all. I can only go to UB once a week, and I can't go out to the North Campus fluently. The thing is, I can't improve much in the first place because of this. I know playing against people like RaynEX, and I.B. and blah blah blah would get me better, and I could learn from them, I would just feel better if I was able to play against people I couldn't four-stock in less than 0:50 at half my capacity. Meaning, I know I need to get my *** kicked a number of times, but not as badly as RaynEX, TEG, or someone good would do it, I need to inch my way up there, see.
There's still going to be other people entering melee ;)
And you'll have plenty of time for friendlies/MM's outside of the tourney matches being played. If anyone should be worried about their placing, it's me in brawl :p

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
*contests placement with Altarian for brawl*
Actually, that'd be great if it came up in the bracket, we had some good brawl matches at the last two Rochester tournaments. Would be better than me getting thrown at Cura first round lol. IC MIRROR: NEVER AGAIN

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Yeah. . . I was thinking about what we would do for SS3 and something just hit me like a brick in the head. . .

There is actually an anime convention going on in syracuse for the first time in april.

http://animesyracuse.com/

They where asking for ideas for what to do at the convention here:

http://www.animesyracuse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=238

I mentioned something about doing perhaps a smash oriented event. I'm an avid otaku, and I've been to anime conventions such as anime boston and otakon. The usually have smash tournies but they aren't legit like the events we run. If we get involved in the process early on that might change though. =P

What do you guys think?

might be a good idea, were going to have to figure out a ton of details for stuff going on in the next few months when we are all at this in person.
I'm one of the best in a ****ty little area where no one is good I haven't even taken melee seriously since brawl came out, the only reason I even enter local melee tournies is because I can win some money from them.
and Im only entering because even tho I know I suck and im not going to win, theres people that think they are good even tho I can beat them.

LET IT BE KNOWN NOW. IF YOU GET OUT PLACED IN MELEE BY K.I.D.GOGGGLES, YOU ARE BAD AT MELEE.

[Im assuming you're talking about melee, as the top four teams for brawl have already been made.
1 Sanford and Son
2 Snakeee and Cura
3 JTEG and Pika
4 Robasaurus Rex
fixed.
Sharky, how are you getting to Viridian city? Do you have housing? Im about to reserve a spot with Dextasmurf, you need to let me know if you need it. Or rather, let dextasmurf know.

Im going to be using this event to figure out how many people are coming with me, so that way i can find adaquate housing
based on the numbers you just gave me. you play melee with real people DECIDEDLY more often then themanalord.

p.s. who says youll even get to play with the good people? most good people are douches and only want to play with good people so they wouldnt bother with your scrubby behind anyway. luckily jesse and bernie arent like that, but thats beside the point.

your johns have no successfully been obliterated, would you like to try again?

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
I don't see what the big deal is. It's a tournament. Go play in it. Get better. That's what we do. That's how we improve.

Chickening out just because a couple pros show up is bad for your gameplay.

Favoring other tournaments where you can steamroll the competition because they don't play in tournaments regularly is bad for your gameplay.

Thinking in terms of one tournament at a time rather than how you've been improving since you picked up the game, is bad for your gameplay.

Just get better. Practice. Play with the pros. If you can't, because the pros are jerks, f them, get better until you can start putting up a fight.

I mean geez pros aren't unstoppable. I would argue compared to the upper echelon, even Neil is awful at this game.

Like anything you want to get good at, you need to put in time. There's a huge difference between knowing what to do and actually doing it.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
@Goggles: Please, even with what I said there are VERY few people, maybe two, and I haven't been up to UB yet if that counts, it's pretty far without a car and all. Not making this a contest, in regards to your point, and Mana himself. I'm just saying, the most I get to face people in Melee are at the tournaments I seldomly even attend.

Although what you said was correct, I was speaking tournamentwise, unless they're too much of a douche to even do a tournament match with a bad player. Jesse was one of the coolest, if not the coolest good person I ever played, and said I did good even when I was getting two and three stocked.

Also, comparing my play to Mana? Seriously, for one he's FAR more experienced. You said yourself that there are two levels of techskill, Mana playing for as long as he does has certainly reached the second level of it. His consistancy in placing well proves that, if anything.

Honestly, not a very good point.

----------------------

Note, I said that I wanted to play people better than me but not THAT much better than me. So I could learn more and progress that way. I dunno, some people progress better getting four-stocked. I progress better, and feel more comfortable learning from someone who could two-stock me at most. Where there's still an obvious gap in skill, but not me vs. Mango obvious.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i hope people are bringing set ups because the current set up list is looking massively insufficient right now...

also, as to the attendance list.

46 and 47, im not sure are coming.

and 48/52 and 49/51 are refering to the same people

do you know why mana is so good at the game?
because even tho the ONLY times he plays with other humans are at our tourneys, he doesnt whine and complain about not having anyone to play, he takes his narrow behind right to training mode and practices his butt off.

you dont need to play with other people to learn techskill, you can do it on your own.

im pretty sure beta is the same way, since i never see him playing with people outside of tourneys either.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
EDIT: just realized goggles made my point already, thanks goggles. I <3 u

Hey *****es.

I play against cpu 95% of the time.

And still place in our area and can make progress at larger tournaments.

You don't need other people to get better. You need yourself and the will to get better. A lot of the game is in your head and playing versus people helps A LOT. But if you have a strong mind you can overcome any obstacle.

Double edit: I am going into this with the mindset to win and place top 3 like I always do. Sometimes I don't even achieve this, why? WEll my mind isn't in the right place during those times. And sometimes my opponents are just better at the moment, be it in game or out of game. There are so many factors involved. but NEVER admit defeat and don't enter. You can't get tournament experience without entering tournaments. you can't win tournaments without tournament experience.

TRIPLE EDIT: bluepeachy I will play melee w/ you or anyone as long as you want to. but my priorities also lie in getting better and playing against people. I tech demo myself versus people, I really don't play melee. Which is why I consistently lose to better and more experienced players. It's why I hog time with jesse, I like playing him and he likes playing me. BUT if people ASK me to I will gladly play with them.

Quadruple edit: two weeks ago my tech was really on, the best it's ever been. but after like five days of not practicing I am down really bad, especially bc I've been playing brawl +... but after a few days I will be back to where I was. Playing consistent in melee is a chore. It's not an accomplishment and it's not something you magically achieve. melee is a *****. neil has given into that *****. neil just enter for the hell of it, you really don't enjoy beating the first three scrubs you run into in the brackets?

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
@ Goggles: I was talking about the techskill reaction time thingy you said before, being able to make split second descisions. Playing against humans, and different styles allow you to be able to react to different situations effectively, which I can't aay for computers. ^^;

@ Mana: I think I need the will to get bettar, and stuff then, and self-esteem. ^^; and... skillz. and stuff, but I get you, I suppose. *has some kind of determination after your plethora of edits*

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I think without trying to toot my own horn since I avoid doing that that people like me and TML are prime examples of players that can place well regionally etc. without playing anyone.

You can still practice without other people around >_>

dudutsai

Smash Lord

p.s. who says youll even get to play with the good people? most good people are douches and only want to play with good people so they wouldnt bother with your scrubby behind anyway. luckily jesse and bernie arent like that, but thats beside the point.
This is an extremely important post. I believe this is one of the reasons Melee is seen as too hard of a game to get into.
Nowadays, the good people have all been playing for multiple years. This may be a good thing, because the fastest way to improve is to play people who are better than you. When I first started about two years ago, I was almost always annoyed at myself because I wasn't improving fast enough. After thinking about improvement for a long time, this is a bit of what I have concluded.

Unfortunately, good people will often-times not bother with the newer players, simply because they have nothing to prove by beating some random locals.

There are a few ways around this problem
1) Play well, and play them in tournament
2) Hype yourself up to be really good and make them beat you down a few times to prove a point (You'll still get better during the one or two games)
3) Money match them
4) Some people are just friendly and will play you for extended periods of time as long as they are having fun

(1) has the problem where you have to be good enough to get to them in tournament, (2) has the problem where people will look down on you for being cocky, and won't really play you when they realize you're just talk. (3) has the problem where you lose money. In the end solutions 1-3 will all get you only about 2-5 games to think intensely during the match and improve, which is not enough unless you go to a lot of tournaments.

Luckily for you guys, CNY people are extremely nice people. As long as you see their trashtalk as more of a challenge than an insult, it's very easy to get along with them, and they will play you in friendlies.

I know that the Canadians are coming are also extremely friendly and will sit down with you to 4-stock you again and again without complaining about it.

I realize this is getting to be a pretty long post, so I'll end it with a great quote by KDJ:

"You must never be spoiled when playing this game. You must never expect to win every game. You have to have self-discipline and a strong motivation to excel at Smash. Without that, you won't enjoy the game as much on the competitive level. Just remember, when you get 4-stocked by someone, give that player a handshake and say, "thanks for the practice!" Because who knows; you might be the one 4-stocking them in the future."

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
KevinM are you coming? It'd be fun to play. I am teaming with jesse but I think neil is up for grabs if you can convince him. KOJ is also pretty good and the buffalo people arterry cloger and alexei are also good.

But if you want a good teams partner, like actually good, then try to find Goodies. He's played the game for a long time and has always been in our community, and is awesome in teams!

Basically check our PR for good teams partners haha.

I hope MA comes, it'd be awesome, we need the help v the canadians >_<

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
KevinM are you coming? It'd be fun to play. I am teaming with jesse but I think neil is up for grabs if you can convince him. KOJ is also pretty good and the buffalo people arterry cloger and alexei are also good.

But if you want a good teams partner, like actually good, then try to find Goodies. He's played the game for a long time and has always been in our community, and is awesome in teams!

Basically check our PR for good teams partners haha.

I hope MA comes, it'd be awesome, we need the help v the canadians >_<
I should be coming, and yeah we should play more then like the one time we did rofl.

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
good words followed by an amazing sig
<3

lotsappls said:
the right mindset, improving despite lack of others
Solo improvement:

Can definitely be done. Solo practice can be much more than techskillin - for example one might want to work on controlling a platform or edge... or moving around and spacing a move exactly when/where you want. I have improved by thinking about it and dismissing false ideas that I had.

Improvement with others (agreement/addition to Dudutsai's points):

-Find someone/people who want to improve, obvious but not always possible.
-Play mad friendlies with the intention of getting better (in general or specific).
-Extended (Bo5/7/9/... or full cast lol) low denomination money matches

Personal/anecdotal note: Being well rested helps me think/perform many times over what I am capable of when I'm tired.
5AM Rob > 5AM You

Further destruction of the "can't get better vs not good people" argument:
How to people become good before there were good people? (release of games)

Allied

Smash Master
MEHHHh looking like i'm not coming got every planned out in md/va

manalord hit me up next tournament i'll definitally come out :DD

good luck everyone btw

snakeee is gonna win :]]

inb4 NA HE AINT!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
MEHHHh looking like i'm not coming got every planned out in md/va

manalord hit me up next tournament i'll definitally come out :DD

good luck everyone btw

snakeee is gonna win :]]

inb4 NA HE AINT!

snakeee ZSS could possibly win the tournament, but now that hes going to main mk, hes going to get ***** hardbody

Allied

Smash Master
i think its because frank gets bullied over here when he mains zzs because once you learn the MU shes not that hard

either way goodluck snakeee!

MCmaniacDBR

Smash Apprentice
**** Bry get ****ed up.

I can't wait to mess all you guys up on Saturday...if you thought I was good before, just wait. :)

ALSO

Wtf Snakeee you don't main ZSS no more?

Foy

Smash Champion
I think without trying to toot my own horn since I avoid doing that that people like me and TML are prime examples of players that can place well regionally etc. without playing anyone.

You can still practice without other people around >_>
You can get your GF to play against fool.

Might not enter teams.

altairian

Smash Lord
hes too new for the character imo
If only he knew someone close to him that was amazing with the character... it's not like MK requires a lot of time to play well with. As long as you're patient and down on your cstick isn't broken you can pretty much beat anyone with him :p

Top Bottom