• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
dtilt to spot dodge is so dumb

oh but really, what gave me a hard on in that match was just the impeccable timing of aerials.
My goodness. ****. Like that uair on the platform that ended up pushing rain off? Holy flying ****ing ****. That was honestly... HONESTLY, the best single use of up air I think I've ever seen in my life.

Also its amazing how much he got away with buffered turn around grab from shield in what's otherwise really scary/bad situation for us.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Gonna have to disagree with you on this one.

I've found Lylat to consistently disrupts players' timing for their power-shields due to the slopes, Marth gains a lot of movement options through PCs, and the slopes allow you to retreat aerials further due to not hitting the ground.

It's also a stage I'm personally extremely comfortable on.

I mean you can be comfortable on it but I'm telling you right now there is nothing like the ICs having a variable slope advantage on you (ICs gain way more from slopes than Marth does) as well as horizontal width similar to Smashville, on top of having improved recovery ability due to the lameness/ambiguity of tilting stage

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Are you going to elaborate or just make vague statements and claim them as fact?

Like, I'm inclined to trust you since you have plenty of experience with Hyluan and Roller I'm sure, but I want to know WHY.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Guys, I just realized that Pokemon Stadium 2 might not be in Smash4. My life sucks.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
He knows about double jump evasion mechanics. That automatically puts him in probably top 5 marth in the world :p (kidding)
It's crazy to think that Mikeneko barely uses it though, he keeps all his pressure and safety within jagged short hops :(

His spacing game revolves around shield/range safety by an "implied" dtilt into neutral dancing blades (that cover ridiculous distance). He's really tight on this: evaluate every time he hit him with dancing blade what position he was in prior and what options Peach had to hit him first. Answer: there was quite close to 0 things he could do about his dancing blade advances.

Yeah what the **** this guy has the scariest ground game yet he doesn't even know how to walk or use his dash properly. What the ****.
He knows double jump evasive mechanics but isn't tippity top tight with spacing. His dashing makes me feel really awkward.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

IF you guys don't think jab is amazing, I don't even.

Anyway I'll probably redo these with some buttered up settings.
Does anyone here have any inkling about game models as such that I can just have a semitransparent bubble rather than a 100% opacity red blob or 100% opacity yellow blob with glow that ruins your perspective of hitbox size.

-
http://imgur.com/a/VnvbS
-

What you're meant to get from this? These are all just the tipper hitboxes. Hitboxes overlap. What you're really meant to get though is that his hitboxes are aligned to his sword, but are significantly skewing around in a scale of Pi in areas that the sword nor your hurtboxes are not.

Ftilt's f8 has only one outer edge of the hitbox connecting to his sword. In other words, there's the entirety of the hitbox exposed in front and above where his sword is at frame 8. This in essence is how Marth truly works and how he can truly shine.

Jab gets the same thing as ftilt, but on the last frame of the hitbox. His sword is above and kinda angling behind his head, but the hitbox is directly above and infront of marth's head.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I use jab a lot.

It combos.

Essentially you shouldn't use jab pre-40% (on light weights) because it won't have enough stun to really do anything, often even too little to not get punished. 40-50% upwards and untippered jab will always hit into second jab at the very least. Tippered jab can always get you something-ish, even at 0%, but by around those percent (40-50) jab is setting me up for dash fair or at the very least dash to shield with all the time in the world to do so safely.

I would put most of my jab usage at around 80% though. Tipper jab and untippered jab both can be pseudo comboable on hit confirm. I'll still keep using jab afterwards, because just like fthrow, one bad DI (like that holding up) will give me a free aerial. It also does have an appreciable trip rate. I'm not sure yet whether or not we can always get a guaranteed hyphen smash out of jab trip... I always react so poorly to it for whatever reason.

Jab is like... Fair. With certain restrictions but with some of the same great properties, in terms of synergy, it's definitely there. Depending on where you hit someone with jab (like.. take the last frame of the hitbox, lol) will alter what trajectory a player flies in. In any given scenario of you in the air, the fear of fair giving us space + into either safe landing or fair into maybe jab has swings covering up to down and then down to up, and have similar knockbacks and "reaches" that your aerials can achieve.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Jab as a manual OS at 60-80+ on landing is amazing and prompts bad players/players who don't know the MU to land farther away from Marth or land close to Marth and buffer block and good players/players who know the MU to land near Marth and attempt to trade. It's one of the many ways to "test" your opponent's MU knowledge fairly safely that also has ridiculous rewards (eg tipper fsmash)

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Mi compadres,

I haven't played any smash game in about two years. Got super busy with school and life in general.

Just played a few matches against an old friend today. Got destroyed in most of them, but it was still fun. I guess sometime between the last time I had played and today my reflexes shifted to melee Marth mode. I was using first hit DB more than once to recover, and f-smashing recoveries left and right.

Not sure if anyone here remembers me. It's been a few years and I wasn't quite relevent in this section. Regardless, I just wanted to drop by and say hello. Those matches brought back some good memories about smash and SWF.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
http://www.twitch.tv/gords1229/b/429826182

41.40 onwards is basically me me me me for the rest of the video.

Features me against Zxv, Scoot and Canada's own Tinman.
I'm happy with how I did against Tin, I was really off with my landing spacing and also getting pseudo cged a lot :( But dat second smashville match though (1.53.30). I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I'm also really good at playing Toon Link in doubles. Maybe.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Shaya.
Akagi.... dies!? :(
And Ichikawa outlives him!?
There's this video... out there... someone partially animated and completely coloured all the final arcs of Ten (the pseudo sequel to Akagi). It was a few years back now, but it made me cry.

@Skype chat
I guess I'm looking for an actual Marth chat. Not an AiB wifi community room.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
There's this video... out there... someone partially animated and completely coloured all the final arcs of Ten (the pseudo sequel to Akagi). It was a few years back now, but it made me cry.

@Skype chat
I guess I'm looking for an actual Marth chat. Not an AiB wifi community room.
Yea i noticed that, a lot of people in there are from aib indeed maybe make a second chat? One for actually talking about marth

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Hey people. I got 4th at a tourney yesterday using mostly marth. Everyone good in new england was there. I think I finally learned how to fight snake using basic strategies like "use only fair, DB, and grab" and a few other moves for reads. (example: varied smash attacks to punish airdodges, uair to juggle, dtilt/nair to punish DACUS, and bair sometimes to kill). I think what I did differently this time around was being more proactive in shutting down snake's approaches with grabs and fair, and dealing better with grenades.

but the lame part of my tourney was that I lost to the same person twice (1-2 in winners and 0-2 in losers). Does anyone know how to fight pit and not die? lol. and I'm looking for the more advanced strategies, since we're talking about the best pit in the country. It was close each match (last stock) but I had trouble dealing with arrows and punishing in close combat.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'm looking for the more advanced strategies, since we're talking about the best pit in the country.
"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times"

sounds lame but as with many things in life, you probably already know what you need to do on some level. we're six years into this, becoming more proficient with tools you're already familiar with is more prudent than trying to reinvent the wheel-we already know what marth and pit are. koolaid isn't doing anything other pits aren't, he's just doing it more intelligently

NH Cody

Smash Champion
well I figured that since a couple of the best marths have had trouble against pit lately that it might be a good idea to have an MU rediscussion. and yes the game has been out for a while, but this is literally the first time I've played a pit player in tourney that I can remember. this was never relevant before (for me at least).

Top Bottom