• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

etecoon

Smash Hero
this was never relevant before (for me at least).
koolaid has consistently been top 2 in your region for the past 5 years, it was always relevant to you. I used to have a document of every active player in NE and their known mains and secondaries, and I'll be doing the same when I get into smash 4, it's a good way to track what matchups you should be spending most of your time thinking about

anyway, starting with what you said

I had trouble dealing with arrows and punishing in close combat.
the biggest key is staying in pits face where he can't spam arrows but far enough away where he can't box with you. marth doesn't want to CQC...pretty much anyone. on stage I don't think this is excessively difficult for marth, I'm pretty short on answers for pit's planking though...

also, go into training mode as pit and shoot arrows horizontally with the maximum upward arc you can, memorize that trajectory. when you're in the air, try to occupy that space where he can neither hit you with arrows nor can he dash attack or fair you without you seeing it coming easily. if he starts jumping around while shooting arrows to counter this, you gain easier entry from the ground...for that matter memorize the arc for SH downward arrows too, that hole is almost half of FD

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Etecoon!!! Dude how you been?
Oh and also it would be amazing if you redid that document of all the NE players again

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
So I've been getting to play a bit of smash with the Marth killer.
I've definitely improved since last year... my "probably is 1 in 200 chance of me winning a game against your MK" has turned into probably 1 in 20-30... lol

Execution and speed is way way important. I've put so much thought and effort into hitbox placement and whatnot with Marth that I've been slower on swinging. I've just had to become more comfortable with those heights and distances for spacing... a lot faster, and I find I'm getting there. Experience and comfortably spacing with timing is key

Ensuring you can jump AND land safely is the key to everything with this character. Every habit, mistake and means of success stem from proper use.

Auto cancelling Marth's **** is important. Learning the timing for where you may fair on a short rise into a ff that properly auto cancels is... game changing. 2 frame landing lag compared to 8/9 and we're always dangling in the air for those 20 odd frames after it comes out anyway. Uair on tall characters is dominating. It reaches horizontally frame 1 at an exceptional point. Auto cancelling Uair is important.

Auto cancelling everything is important.
Buffering everything is important.

Sometimes Marth must take risks. Getting hit or not properly placing your jumps/landings requires gambling.FF airdodge is dumb. Marth's fast fall is dumb. Fast fall.

Neutral air legitimately hits everywhere and auto cancelling the move is the difference between a godly wall and a mediocre power shield fodder. Auto cancelled nair (the timing, spacing and execution of it to fulfill that) is one of the most dominating zoning tools out in the game. The amount of control you can stem from that...

Ice climbers don't like down tilt.
Don't down tilt to beat moves, you down tlit to ensure their defensive option is a liability.

Tell people you play against to roll behind you if you DB2 their shield. You need to never ever ever make this mistake. It is soooooooooooooooo easy for any character to get in on Marth in these situations where we just go for these "db3 down" or "going for all of it/some of it/stalling it" to not get punished. That **** shouldn't/doesn't work.

Pivoting (a 1 frame action) is the difference between a successful destroying of an air dodge, cross over or any other paths of movement players tend to take. That RAR fair is completely throwing people off. That turn around up tilt will suddenly be reaching people's horizontal trajectories that the frontal parts of up tilt just aren't doing (remember that utilt travels vertically than horizontally than vertically down).

Up air will also punish things that fair will.

Never whiff.
Never intend to whiff.
Did you just whiff?
Feel bad.
Really bad.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
So, I won Brawl Singles and Brawl Doubles at our local tourney the other day. There will be videos to come later.

11 games of Marth vs. Wario. I never want to have to do that again.

I also will have 5 games of Marth vs. DK for you guys.

And a bunch of Marth/DK teams play with my partner Attila the Hun. (Not the Aussie)

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
well I figured that since a couple of the best marths have had trouble against pit lately that it might be a good idea to have an MU rediscussion. and yes the game has been out for a while, but this is literally the first time I've played a pit player in tourney that I can remember. this was never relevant before (for me at least).

Are there vids?

NH Cody

Smash Champion
nope, but it was close. I remember him changing his playstyle so match 1 he was really campy and then match 2 he rushed in at the beginning to catch me off guard and gain an early lead. I had good reads but was just confused by playing pit offline really for the first time since last sktar. I had a fancy spike, too. wish we could have saved them but the wii didn't have infinite replays.

I'll try to save some replays at a tourney in 2 weeks (august 17th). also I'm proud of you, Raziek. You're consistently winning in Nova Scotia it seems. I want to go to a tourney there eventually...

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I wouldn't say consistently. I'm consistently top 3, but our MK couldn't make it to that one and its probably been a year since I actually took a set off him.

I do appreciate the thought, though.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I used marth for the majority of the tourney today in singles. I am the best marth in the world at consistently grab release spiking meta knights in tournament. Without fail. Every time. well except maybe once... haha. unfortunately I am only the 5th best na marth in terms of skill and spacing and other input consistency :(

oh and I'm the worst marth in the world offstage :awesome: yall should watch my videos that were on the stream and offer some insight. NOTE TO SELF: IF YOUR OPPONENT IS A SNAKE/MK MAIN, BAN FRIGATE BECAUSE MK ON FRIGATE IS WORSE THAN SNAKE ON HALBERD.

I'll give the stream link tomorrow

Nic64

Smash Lord
didn't see your sets vs bizkit but yeah, snake doesn't get crazy CP advantages like some characters, and orpheon is probably the worst marth stage on that stagelist to begin with

also, ditto! you put a lot of time into MK, might as well use it especially when taken to a bad stage

MintyFlesh

Smash Ace
SWF wont let me edit my post, w.e

imo frigate isnt a horrible marth stage, the slants can help him

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I think they mean Frigate 1, which sucks for Marth hard.
Frigate 2 is very, VERY good for Marth. The moving platforms are the bottom are godsent.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
didn't see your sets vs bizkit but yeah, snake doesn't get crazy CP advantages like some characters, and orpheon is probably the worst marth stage on that stagelist to begin with

also, ditto! you put a lot of time into MK, might as well use it especially when taken to a bad stage
yeah I might try mk next time, even though it didn't work a few months ago

http://www.twitch.tv/gameunderground/b/447318425 I play at around 22:05 vs KC. go to 1:19:13 if you want some good laughs. and 1:32:30 for me playing bizkit. I played badly .-. don't normally use that much nair...was trying to punish dash approaches but he didn't do what I thought he would. oh well watch for your own amusement. or so you can critique.

etecoon

Smash Hero
you've gotten a lot better at MK dittos recently too. just a thought, it's not like going marth or TL on orpheon is greatly advantageous either

NE commentary is the best, always like 5 people that would get kicked off the stream in 30 seconds in any other region lmao

C.J.

Smash Master
Frigate is wonderful vs not-snake/MK

Halberd is wonderful vs... nobody.

Frigate is a good Marth stage lol. Halberd is his worst stage bar none (that were reasonably legal).

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Frigate is wonderful vs not-snake/MK

Halberd is wonderful vs... nobody.

Frigate is a good Marth stage lol. Halberd is his worst stage bar none (that were reasonably legal).
Thanks for saying this so I didn't have to. I wrote a guide on it!

C.J.

Smash Master
Hi everyone!

Did I miss anything?

Probably not...

Message me on FB someone if something important happens or w/e.

Bye everyone!

GreenAce

Smash Ace
What's everyone's opinion on Jab? I found a lot of awesome ways to apply this move. I don't see a lot of people using, but I definitely think it has several different applications that cover a lot of situations perfectly.

And can anyone tell me how clashes in this game work? Are both characters even when it happens no matter what moves clash, or does the character who used the faster recovering move have advantage?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Jab is stupid good. Walls out a lot of air-based characters really well. Luigi, Wario, Pikachu, just to name the ones I play against frequently.

Very safe after landing AC fair or a d-tilt.

Top Bottom