• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS General Discussion

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Well, we could be talking about how awesome Other M is going to be, but Nintendo is too busy gushing about their ******** repackaging of games I already own.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
or we could talk about how garbage it's going to be, because Retro Studies is no longer making it...

RIP Retro... :(

Zero

Smash Hero
Nintendo re-releasing the Metroid Prime trilogy as one Wii set, with all the bonus features on the one disc. I think it's a great idea, and I'll be buying it, but release date for Ausfailia is less than concrete.

Other M will be great, I hope it's as hard as Ninja Gaiden is, because then it would be so good. I'm all for expanding out from the dungeon crawler, and focusing on the backstory of the series, when they did a more dialouge-oriented game in Fusion I think it worked really well.

sasook that's what I think they're talking about^

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Repackaging of games? Elaborate please.
They're taking the three Prime games, adding Prime 3 controls to the first two, and putting them on a disc. Then they're making a big, attractive package to put that disc in. They are adding a few bonuses, and that's it. Last I checked, MP1 and MP2 will be getting no graphics updates, MP2's multiplayer will not be online, and they're even taking out the unlockable NES Metroid bonus.

I would have bought just MP1 all over again for the new controls, because I'm pathetic. But I already own the exact same MP3 that will be on the disc (and that one has cheaper unlockables), and I really don't give a **** about MP2. The fact that I'm forced to buy the other two just so they can justify charging me $50 for the whole deal is offensive. It's actually a really dumb move on Nintendo's part, IMO, since they've also just announced a really awesome-looking game in the main Metroid storyline, meaning I'll definitely forgo blowing a Grant on the trilogy in order to save up for a game with a lot more promise.

It's nonsense like this that drove me to buy a 360. Nintendo is really dumb.

or we could talk about how garbage it's going to be, because Retro Studies is no longer making it...

RIP Retro... :(
Yes, because every Metroid game with R&D1 behind it has been an abysmal failure. Metroid. Metroid 2. Super Metroid. Metroid Fusion. Metroid Zero Mission.

Yeah, they all sucked.

Other M will be great, I hope it's as hard as Ninja Gaiden is, because then it would be so good. I'm all for expanding out from the dungeon crawler, and focusing on the backstory of the series, when they did a more dialouge-oriented game in Fusion I think it worked really well.
This is actually my biggest worry. I'm not so much worried about the backstory/dialogue, although it bothers me that in general the games are losing their Castleroid feel, especially given that they're where the genre began. But if the game is fun and at least has a sense of exploration and not really knowing where you're supposed to go next, then I'll be fine.

What really worries me, though, is thinking that the difficulty will be in the enemies, and not getting around. In other words, I do not want Team Ninja type difficulty. I want R&D1 type difficulty. Games where I have to be a god just to do significant damage to my enemies are boring, but games that challenge me to reconsider how I'm thinking about a room and its secrets are fun for me.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
I was in no way referring to R&D1's influence on the game. I was talking about the developer, Team Ninja.

I don't like Ninja Gaiden. imo it's boring. It's a crappy Prince of Persia with monsters that take too many hits to die. pass.

Plus from the preview it looked like they added Shenmue button prompts, which I've never liked the addition of in action games (see RE4 and GoW).

I just hope the story/dialogue is sick enough to make up for whatever gameplay changes they make... here's to hoping... d:

sasook

Smash Champion
Hmm, I see. I didn't know about that package. I may buy it simply because I don't own any of the Metroids except Zero Mission and Fusion.

The problem is, I suck at FPS games. Thats why I enjoyed Zero Mission and Fusion so much.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I was in no way referring to R&D1's influence on the game. I was talking about the developer, Team Ninja.

I don't like Ninja Gaiden. imo it's boring. It's a crappy Prince of Persia with monsters that take too many hits to die. pass.

Plus from the preview it looked like they added Shenmue button prompts, which I've never liked the addition of in action games (see RE4 and GoW).

I just hope the story/dialogue is sick enough to make up for whatever gameplay changes they make... here's to hoping... d:
From what I've read, Team Ninja won't be in charge of the level and enemy design. They'll be working more on putting R&D1's designs into 3D reality. Or something like that. Sakamoto has been very clear, though, that MOM won't be another Ninja Gaiden.

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
It's a Nintendo game still. They'll probably put in an option to do the hard parts for you.

Metroid Prime 3 does everything right in the Metroid Prime Series. It's just done right.

Metroid Prime 1&2 are mostly backtracking. Metroid Prime Hunters has a 5 second story mode so EVERYTHING is based on multiplayer which sucks with lag or hackers or no one around to play it.

Viquey

Smash Journeyman
Fear me!

The discussion, which was supposed to make the boards lively, died.

There are a number people posting in that ZSS finder thread. Then they just disappear!D:
I haven't disappeared! D: I... just don't have much to say. XD

How 'bout this: Dazlock rulez. Even though I've only done it on CPUs (I'm all by my lonesome in the middle of nowhere, no one to play with D:), it still feels pretty good. XD What I like doing is dazlock>dsmash (perhaps x2) on/at/from the ledge>flip-kick-spike. Seems it'd be really hard to set that up in a real match, and get the dsmash to connect after the last dash attack in some circumstances, but eh, it's so fun to do. Haha.

Aand with that, I'm out of things to say. Considering I have no idea what the current discussion's about. >.> So...

*Relurks*

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
I haven't disappeared! D: I... just don't have much to say. XD

How 'bout this: Dazlock rulez. Even though I've only done it on CPUs (I'm all by my lonesome in the middle of nowhere, no one to play with D:), it still feels pretty good. XD What I like doing is dazlock>dsmash (perhaps x2) on/at/from the ledge>flip-kick-spike. Seems it'd be really hard to set that up in a real match, and get the dsmash to connect after the last dash attack in some circumstances, but eh, it's so fun to do. Haha.

Aand with that, I'm out of things to say. Considering I have no idea what the current discussion's about. >.> So...

*Relurks*
I hear you on that living in the middle of nowhere thing. ._. SoCal is mostly Melee diehards and I don't know who my neighbor is. I have lived here for 5 years!

The discussion was something about the direction Metroid was heading in or something.

AND we still don't have a PokeMascot...

Viquey

Smash Journeyman
I hear you on that living in the middle of nowhere thing. ._. SoCal is mostly Melee diehards and I don't know who my neighbor is. I have lived here for 5 years!

The discussion was something about the direction Metroid was heading in or something.

AND we still don't have a PokeMascot...
I think big parts of Tennessee--memphis area, I think?--are melee diehards as well. Here in central/northern/nashville-area, I don't think there's ANY smash scene. XD And I don't know my neighbors either. Lived here... 8 years? 9 years? something like that. Heh.

Ah. Nothing I know about, then.

D: Post a poll or... something? IDK. XD

noradseven

Smash Lord
I think big parts of Tennessee--memphis area, I think?--are melee diehards as well. Here in central/northern/nashville-area, I don't think there's ANY smash scene. XD And I don't know my neighbors either. Lived here... 8 years? 9 years? something like that. Heh.

Ah. Nothing I know about, then.

D: Post a poll or... something? IDK. XD
Tennessee does nothing, except marching band. I feel sorry for ya man.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Metroid Prime 3 does everything right in the Metroid Prime Series. It's just done right.
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

no

MP3 was waaaaay too linear. The whole game, there was someone holding your hand telling you where to go. The entire point of the Metroid games is that you advance the story by exploring every place you can explore and hope that it's the right way to go.

In that respect, Metroid Prime was the best in the Prime series by a large margin.

The first one also did not have those inexplicable bottomless pits.

I feel like if you think MP3 was the best Prime game, you never played nor enjoyed Super Metroid or Zero Mission.

sasook

Smash Champion
Zero Mission was great. My favorite's Fusion.

Those are also the only 2 Metroids I've beaten. lol

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

no

MP3 was waaaaay too linear. The whole game, there was someone holding your hand telling you where to go. The entire point of the Metroid games is that you advance the story by exploring every place you can explore and hope that it's the right way to go.

In that respect, Metroid Prime was the best in the Prime series by a large margin.

The first one also did not have those inexplicable bottomless pits.

I feel like if you think MP3 was the best Prime game, you never played nor enjoyed Super Metroid or Zero Mission.
Yeah that to-the-point gameplay is just crap. I'd much rather backtrack and walk through oversized levels instead of invading a base and killing everyone.

Super Metroid and Zero Mission aren't Prime games. lol

I have Super Metroid and Fusion, but not Zero Mission. The first two being amazing and that third is just one of those games that escapes my grip. I want Zero Mission though...

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Yeah that to-the-point gameplay is just crap. I'd much rather backtrack and walk through oversized levels instead of invading a base and killing everyone.
You don't like Metroid games. You can admit it, now.

And it's not like there was even a whole lot of backtracking if you played the game in the right order. Maybe near the end when you're picking up any artifacts you overlooked. You're just pissed because the game didn't hold your hand and tell you where to go next. And Prime 3 did the exact same thing with the fuel cels, so don't act like Corruption was any better on the backtracking front.

Seriously, go play Metroid for the NES. If you think Prime had a lot of backtracking, you won't even get to the first energy tank before you give up in disgust.

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
You don't like Metroid games. You can admit it, now.

And it's not like there was even a whole lot of backtracking if you played the game in the right order. Maybe near the end when you're picking up any artifacts you overlooked. You're just pissed because the game didn't hold your hand and tell you where to go next. And Prime 3 did the exact same thing with the fuel cels, so don't act like Corruption was any better on the backtracking front.

Seriously, go play Metroid for the NES. If you think Prime had a lot of backtracking, you won't even get to the first energy tank before you give up in disgust.
Wow, way to not get completely immature, because I have a different preference. You're acting like some sort of hardcore bad*** who owns the Metroid genre.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Wow, way to not get completely immature, because I have a different preference. You're acting like some sort of hardcore bad*** who owns the Metroid genre.
Way to play the "it's just my opinion, man" card. But y'know what? I've even acknowledged it already. I've told you; You don't like Metroid games. You can call it preference or whatever you want, but when you say you prefer the Corruption gameplay, all that tells me is that you don't want a game that puts you in a massive world and lets you figure out where to go next. You don't want to play a Metroid game. Plain and simple. I don't have a problem with it. Just don't tell me the series should abandon its perfectly good formula because you liked Corruption better.

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
Way to play the "it's just my opinion, man" card. But y'know what? I've even acknowledged it already. I've told you; You don't like Metroid games. You can call it preference or whatever you want, but when you say you prefer the Corruption gameplay, all that tells me is that you don't want a game that puts you in a massive world and lets you figure out where to go next. You don't want to play a Metroid game. Plain and simple. I don't have a problem with it. Just don't tell me the series should abandon its perfectly good formula because you liked Corruption better.
I don't like Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (mostly 2 and not much 1) and I have no one to play Hunters with. Metroid Prime 3 finished the triology set and I enjoyed it the most. Metroid was bound to go in another direction. Don't tell me about opinion as if you are assigning it to me.

I'm done talking about this and no one seems to be chiming in so anyone say whatever pretty much I guess. idk

sasook

Smash Champion
I think this thread needs to be a little more free-flowing. I'm not a fan of this "stay on the current topic" feeling that is coming from this thread. Thats what you do in other threads. This thread is to get away from all that, it should be a thread where you can feel comfortable posting whatever without wondering if it's the correct thread or the right time to say it.

Just my 2 cents.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Metroid isn't necessarily bound to go in another direction. The most recent game released by R&D1, Zero Mission, had sequence breaking written into the game. There were multifarious paths that you could take in the game, and only a few bottlenecks that put events into an order. There were occasional parts of the game that could tell you where to go next, but most could be avoided, and if you already had the item they pointed to, they wouldn't give you any advice. Even Fusion had the parts where I'd get trapped by the machinations of SA-X, and would not be able to ask Adam for help.

Retro has actually diverged rather significantly from the Metroid formula over the course of the Prime series. I'm actually kinda glad Retro's not behind the next Metroid game. They were trying to turn it into Halo.

I'm sorry that you feel an opinion has been assigned to you. But that's just the way I'm interpreting what you're saying. There's always been a certain degree of backtracking in the Metroid games. It's how they were designed, and if you don't like backtracking, then you'd be hard pressed to enjoy several of the more open-ended titles.

I think this thread needs to be a little more free-flowing. I'm not a fan of this "stay on the current topic" feeling that is coming from this thread. Thats what you do in other threads. This thread is to get away from all that, it should be a thread where you can feel comfortable posting whatever without wondering if it's the correct thread or the right time to say it.

Just my 2 cents.
Word. I can have my arguments even if other people are posting. Don't be afraid to post about your concerns and life questions because of me. I don't bite unless you say Corruption is better than Prime.

I'll probably give you a nip if you say Fusion is better than Zero Mission.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
SoCal is mostly Melee diehards
lolwut.

SoCal has one of the largest brawl scenes in the world...
There's at least 1 tournament every weekend in LA or Orange county.

Also.
Prime 1 is the best one imo. 1 -> 3 -> 2.
Yeah, 3 held your hand too much, but I really liked the addition of the dialogue and interaction with other characters. 2 brought backtracking to the extreme, and I really didn't like the light/dark gun mechanic, it was clever, but not enough to get rid of all the other guns in the game.

Yeah, if you don't like MP1, then you don't like Metroid. MP1 and Super Metroid are all that a Metroid game should be.

How about a completely different game argument? What's the best Zelda game...?

imo it goes Link to the Past, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker. and the rest are all kinda meh.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Yo!

I MAIN samus but im sick of losin to DDDs. I hear ZS is decent against DDD so i kinda wanted to start using her(plus shes a very good character in general). Over all, what do you guys think of ZS vs DDD?

Prime 3 then 1 then 2, btw.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Yo!

I MAIN samus but im sick of losin to DDDs. I hear ZS is decent against DDD so i kinda wanted to start using her(plus shes a very good character in general). Over all, what do you guys think of ZS vs DDD?

Prime 3 then 1 then 2, btw.

I thought you said you wouldn't use anyone but Samus? I suppose you could argue that they're technically the same person, but still. Is Xyro going back on his word?

As for me, I've seconded Zero Suit Samus since launch. Her and Samus are the only two characters I use, now.

sasook

Smash Champion
Faded, I like OoT, TP, WW, in that order. I would like MM in there, since I loved it, except I never beat it, or even got far. I could never figure out what to do.

I haven't really played the 2D zeldas. I own Link's Awakening and Phantom Hourglass, but again, never got far in either of them.

ph00t, I'll say I like Fusion better only because I remember it better. I might go and replay Zero Mission, simply because I remember it was fantastic, but I really don't remember the story at all. I do remember playing as ZSS in that game was tough.

Serris, thats an amazing avatar. I really like it.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I havnt used ANY one other than samus in a tourney YET. Im considering ZS but i dont wanna jump into her if she cant handle ddd any better than a samus could.

sasook

Smash Champion
Well, she's at least 50:50, but I think she has the advantage 60:40. I dunno if an official writeup has been done for him, we just finished rediscussing him.

sasook

Smash Champion
Lol. We gotta play again soon, it's been a while.

And don't worry, my Link is still > my ZSS.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Lol. We gotta play again soon, it's been a while.

And don't worry, my Link is still > my ZSS.
Like better as in you are more skilled comparatively or better as in you would do better in tourneys with.

I mean link is low for a reason, its like back when I tried to rep ganon, that didn't work out so well. Down B is his best move, no I don't care that d-air kills, guess what so does down B and its a whole lot safer.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
I havnt used ANY one other than samus in a tourney YET. Im considering ZS but i dont wanna jump into her if she cant handle ddd any better than a samus could.
well if standing infinites aren't banned, ZSS probably has a better match-up no matter what, right?

anyways, Dedede vs. ZSS is kind of interesting. It's probably around 55:45 ZSS, give or take 5. It's basically a lot of cross over aerials and side-b, with tons of grabs thrown in as mix-up. Buffered f-throw chain grabs go from 0-60%. If he uses his up-b (and doesn't cancel), he should probably end up taking at least 40% (d-smash x2 + aerials). D-smash off the edge is scary for him because he's so fat.

The problem I see with you picking up ZSS just for D3 is that ZSS takes a lot of time to get used to her recovery and how to use it properly. Against a normal character, you can get by with recovering just okay, but against good edgeguarders (MK, Sheik, D3, etc.) you really have to know your stuff. If you feel you can handle it though, you'll probably be looking at a 60:40 match-up.

Faded, I like OoT, TP, WW, in that order. I would like MM in there, since I loved it, except I never beat it, or even got far. I could never figure out what to do.
I can't believe you haven't played LttP... so sad... surslee, emulator anyone?
I do not officially condone the use of illegal emulators or roms, see fine print article 325.32 d:

and I could never get into TP. It felt like a bad OoT with a not so fun wolf gimmick and ******** wiimote controls. Also, I heard it was better on GC, and I only have the Wii version. ):

sasook

Smash Champion
norad, I mean like...my Link is just better. I win more fights with him, lol.

Faded, no wonder you didn't like TP. You need to get it for GC sir, it's 100x better.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Also.
Prime 1 is the best one imo. 1 -> 3 -> 2.
Yeah, 3 held your hand too much, but I really liked the addition of the dialogue and interaction with other characters. 2 brought backtracking to the extreme, and I really didn't like the light/dark gun mechanic, it was clever, but not enough to get rid of all the other guns in the game.

Yeah, if you don't like MP1, then you don't like Metroid. MP1 and Super Metroid are all that a Metroid game should be.
I definitely agree on the dialogue aspect of MP3. The fact that Corruption had a good story was a major plus. I also liked the controls and the stacked cannon upgrades.

Echoes was, frankly, crap. I didn't like the story, I didn't like the weapon system, I didn't like Dark Aether, I didn't like the bottomless pits, I didn't even like the music. The only redeeming feature was that Spider Guardian was one of the most creative bosses I've ever gone up against. But that doesn't get the game very far.

How about a completely different game argument? What's the best Zelda game...?

imo it goes Link to the Past, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker. and the rest are all kinda meh.
MM over OoT? That's a rare choice. I admit, TP was the first Zelda I actually beat, and that and Phantom Hourglass (crap, IMO) and NES Zelda are the only ones I've beaten. NES Zelda was pretty **** cool, though. I need to go back and actually beat LttP, MM and OoT, though. I've wanted to for a while, and I really enjoyed them while I was playing them.

ph00t, I'll say I like Fusion better only because I remember it better. I might go and replay Zero Mission, simply because I remember it was fantastic, but I really don't remember the story at all. I do remember playing as ZSS in that game was tough.
I dug Fusion. It's far from my favorite, because I hate taking orders from Adam, but at least Samus isn't happy about it either. Like I said, though, when SA-X comes in and blows **** up, the game gets pretty awesome.

Faded, no wonder you didn't like TP. You need to get it for GC sir, it's 100x better.
This is definitely true. Wait for them to make a Zelda game that's actually made for the Wii before you judge the Wii Zelda games.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Yeah xyro we do really well against DDD, I'd say we have a better matchup against him than MK does. But like Faded said, ZSS can be tricky to learn. I know you're no stranger to that having played Samus, but they're not alike. At all.

Top Bottom