• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS General Discussion

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Yeah xyro we do really well against DDD, I'd say we have a better matchup against him than MK does. But like Faded said, ZSS can be tricky to learn. I know you're no stranger to that having played Samus, but they're not alike. At all.
I agree completely. ZSS takes a lot of getting used to, simply because her play style is so much different to everyone else's.

Samus and ZSS are indeed very different. ZSS is significantly better than Samus in almost every way. She's better at killing, racking up damage, spacing, close-range, grabs etc. Samus is heavier, and arguably has a better recovery.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Nah, I'm pretty sure that we have Samus beat in recover. ZSS Up B and side B> the range of Samus' zair and up B. And Flip kick>Morph Ball Bombs.
Personally, I think ZSS has a better recovery too, but whenever I say that, someone always seems to say 'LOL, what are you on about? ZSS' recovery sucks!' and that annoys me. They both have very good recoveries nonetheless.

As a side note, ZSS is light weight, not mid weight.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Well I say midweight because with good DI she lives to 140-150% pretty easily.
The same applies to most of the other light weights. Basically anyone in the game (including Jigglypuff) can live to 150%, provided the attack isn't extremely strong, with proper DI and momentum cancelling.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
MM over OoT? That's a rare choice.
Yeah, imo OoT was just a 3D version of LttP with a horse and a flute you could actually control. Don't get me wrong, that's a great improvement. But really, Majora's Mask brought the series to a whole new level. It really was the most creative Link game I've seen since LttP, not to mention I had a blast playing it.

And yeah, everyone tells me how much better TP is for the GC. I really can't stand the controls for the wii, just too clumsy and gimmicky. One of these days...

Everyone should play LttP if you've never beaten it! It's super easy to get a hold of!

List of lightweights:

Mr.Silver said:
Marth 0.944
Sheik 0.935
Zelda 0.935
Falco 0.919
Olimar 0.919
Zero Suit Samus 0.914
Fox 0.910
Pikachu 0.904
Meta Knight 0.904
Kirby 0.899
Squirtle 0.884
Mr. Game & Watch 0.884
Jigglypuff 0.849

sasook

Smash Champion
The same applies to most of the other light weights. Basically anyone in the game (including Jigglypuff) can live to 150%, provided the attack isn't extremely strong, with proper DI and momentum cancelling.
Ah but see, ZSS has that ability to survive from strong attacks at high percents. I'm not sure how many lightweights can survive a fresh Snake double hit ftilt from the center of FD and live at 140%.

With no DI, yes, she's definitely a lightweight.

Zero

Smash Hero
I have to agree with Faded in that MM > OoT.

Only Zelda's I haven't finished are Adventure of Link and Phantom Hourglass. But not the unspeakables, they don't count as Zelda games.

Zelda, Metroid and Smash are my Nintendo loves and will keep me coming back, no matter what.

sasook

Smash Champion
I thought OoT was amazing. I can play that game again and again and never get sick of it. It was just revolutionary. It's because of that game that the targeting system developed, it was the first 3D Zelda, and the story itself was pretty epic.

I admit right now I'm pretty biased and probably very nostalgic. lol

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
I thought OoT was amazing. I can play that game again and again and never get sick of it. It was just revolutionary. It's because of that game that the targeting system developed, it was the first 3D Zelda, and the story itself was pretty epic.

I admit right now I'm pretty biased and probably very nostalgic. lol
all of this right here. ^

What Zelda games are the unspeakables?

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I think Zero is referring to the CD-I Zelda games. And they're the unspeakables because apparently they suck ***. Not to mention the CD-I was a complete commercial failure...

noradseven

Smash Lord
how come all the weight lists I have seen are different, also yeah ZSS is ultra light weight, if we don't DI we die fast.

Also Kirby and G&W lol, over B/bucket brake.

the CDI games had hillarious cutscenes.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I dunno, I just thought that OoT and MM were by far two of the best Zelda games ever. Kudos to both of them for being excellent.

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played either N64 Zelda games (blasphemy i know). I kind of want to, but I know i probably wont for a while until I have extra wii points or something. Speaking of older games in beloved franchises, I picked up and played through metroid zero mission and fusion when i saw them cheap at gamestop. Such awesome games that I'm sad i missed at first. I know you guys were talking about them in this thread a while ago. I can't really say which is better, they are almost opposites. They are so awesome though as my first 2d metroid experiences.

sasook

Smash Champion
Yeah, for me atm, 2D Metroids > 3D ones. Granted, I haven't played the really old ones, honestly, I just suck so bad at FPS games. Halo, James Bond, Metroid, you name it. I'm horrible at them.

I loved both the new 2D Metroids.

On a side note, I have played Metroid Prime at my friend's house before. I beat that first boss (the one who appears on Frigate) and thats as far as I got. I couldn't figure out what to do after that at all. I was like "....I'm so lost right now." Plus, I remember these really fast, big bees or wasps. Those freaked me out so much, I was legit scared. I hated those, they'd make me shudder.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I think Zero is referring to the CD-I Zelda games. And they're the unspeakables because apparently they suck ***. Not to mention the CD-I was a complete commercial failure...
lawl gannon-banned

sasook: Yeah, getting lost in Prime was pretty frustrating. I didn't actually beat that game until I got into college because I got so lost. I just restarted and made a deliberate effort to explore everything I could. It eventually worked itself out. I also used the map feature a LOT.

sasook

Smash Champion
Lol, I'd walk around shooting random stuff.

Then I encountered the bees. Bad times, bad times. I would just shoot in a frenzy in all directions while running away. lol

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Dude, man, l-button.

You can't win MP without it.

L-button is the primary reason the Prime Games can't really be called shooters. The shooting aspect is such a secondary part of the game. The controls were designed to make you take your time while finding your way around, but kill enemies without really thinking about it.

Just like Samus does.

sasook

Smash Champion
I don't think I ever knew what L did in the Prime games, doubt I ever tried it.

what'd it do?

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Am I the only one here that's never played a Metroid game before? I'd heard of it before, but never played it... And the only Zelda game I played was Twilight Princess, which was fun, but I couldn't complete it because I ended up lost. :urg: (Yeah, I know, I'm such a gaming noob...)

Zero

Smash Hero
Dude, man, l-button.

You can't win MP without it.

L-button is the primary reason the Prime Games can't really be called shooters. The shooting aspect is such a secondary part of the game. The controls were designed to make you take your time while finding your way around, but kill enemies without really thinking about it.

Just like Samus does.
This.

@sasook: L button was lock-on.

@mountain_tiger: Most probably. Most of us play ZSS for a reason :D

But seriously, if you want to play a Metroid game, the first one you should play is Super Metroid. It's seriously the pinnacle of the series, balancing gameplay with complex levels, secrets (grapple beam to electricity ftw) and a plethora of special abilities. It's one of the best games ever made to this day. and the music kicks *** too.

As for Zelda, sadly TP is the easiest Zelda I've ever played, it was seriously not a challenge at all, and each dungeon was clearly created with a generator, defeat miniboss, get item, breeze through temple.

My absolute favourite Zelda games ever[/b are Oracle of Seasons/Ages. I had the most fun playing these in my life, and I'm forever saddened by losing my OoA cart in the Phillipines somewhere (I'm still adamant it was stolen), and having a dead save battery in my OoS cart (stupid sister spilled Pepsi in the game box ;-;)

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
This.

But seriously, if you want to play a Metroid game, the first one you should play is Super Metroid.
This game is so mind blowingly amazing you will believe in using Samus in Brawl. You will then realize they ****ed her over and "secondary" Meta.

As for Zelda, sadly TP is the easiest Zelda I've ever played, it was seriously not a challenge at all, and each dungeon was clearly created with a generator, defeat miniboss, get item, breeze through temple.
Zelda games are starting to go downhill.

The next realistic-ish Link Zelda game needs to involve M rated type of content.

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
My absolute favourite Zelda games ever[/b are Oracle of Seasons/Ages. I had the most fun playing these in my life, and I'm forever saddened by losing my OoA cart in the Phillipines somewhere (I'm still adamant it was stolen), and having a dead save battery in my OoS cart (stupid sister spilled Pepsi in the game box ;-;)

I'm not alone? I loved OoS. OoS was my first Zelda ever. My friend has an OoA cart and I've been trying to find my gbc so i can play through both. Now I am re motivated to search for it again.

Corruption was the only prime i played so I'm getting trilogy in august.

And why is it that so many people these days believe M-Rated=Better?

sasook

Smash Champion
Cake, TP had a lot of freedom IMO. That world was vast. But that game was way too easy. I also wasn't a fan of the fact that 90% of the new items you gained were never/hardly used ever again after that temple.

Side quests also play a big role for me in judging a Zelda game. TP's side quests were downright pathetic.

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
Cake, TP had a lot of freedom IMO. That world was vast. But that game was way too easy. I also wasn't a fan of the fact that 90% of the new items you gained were never/hardly used ever again after that temple.

Side quests also play a big role for me in judging a Zelda game. TP's side quests were downright pathetic.
This is what needs to be fixed. I think another thing that really needs to happen is to recapture the vast view of hyrule that was revolutionary in OoT. Hyrule field should not just be a plain in the middle of the map you ride through to get to the castle. There needs to be a sense of the world being large, open, and organic. There needs to be something to bring it alive.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Wind Waker was the pinnacle of the Zelda series. It had an expansive world, a brilliant and unique artistic style, and amazing game design and continuity. It is and will be unmatched, for a while I think.

Twilight Princess tried to recapture OoT's "magic," but the game was only so successful because of the nature of the game. It was dark, with depressing shades of brown and yellow covering the world, the story was uninspired, etc. I didn't even finish the game, it was that boring.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
****, this topic has made me realise how crap I am at video games. Perhaps I should be called noob_tiger instead. :laugh:

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
****, this topic has made me realise how crap I am at video games. Perhaps I should be called noob_tiger instead. :laugh:
I'm not familiar with the older games either. It might be an age barrier.

Which brings up a new topic; how old are our members of the ZSS community? I've noticed that the competative brawl scene tends to range on average from about 17-22, with a few outliers (last tourney i went to, there was a guy in his thirties, and a 13yo girl, who, coincidentally, ***** the 30yo in doubles. o_o).

So tell us, how old are you?

sasook

Smash Champion
I just turned 17 in March.

EDIT: Though, I didn't start playing video games til I was 6. So...1998 and onwards.

I agree about that age barrier thing someone mentioned a while back.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
I'm going to take the risk of sounding like a douchebag and guess that Mountain Tiger is the baby of the family. ^_^

And if not, it might just be me... <.<;

16 since April.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I'm going to take the risk of sounding like a douchebag and guess that Mountain Tiger is the baby of the family. ^_^

And if not, it might just be me... <.<;

16 since April.
I'd imagine you're right. I turn 16 this month (26th July to be precise), so that would probably make me one of the youngest here. Don't worry; you don't sound like a douchebag at all.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
I'd imagine you're right. I turn 16 this month (26th July to be precise), so that would probably make me one of the youngest here. Don't worry; you don't sound like a douchebag at all.
I'd give you a nickname involving an infant or child, but i just realized you aren't actually a ZSS main. =(

Does he still count? =P

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Well, ZSS is my second main, in a sense. I use ZSS and Peach about equally. I'd put her in that character slot thing too, but you can only pick one, so I went for Peach since I've used her for far longer.

And if you must give me a nickname, please make it a nice one.

Top Bottom