• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

Hence

Smash Ace
Also, N-Air cannot be used as a move refesher because it doesn't enter into the stale moves list.

noradseven

Smash Lord
^^^ hence why do you have a fish bone up your sleeve?

Nair's range is incredibly weird. It goes at a 30 degree angle diagonally down-right in front of her, and 60 degrees diagonally up-left behind her. Its range is pretty good overall, though, but it's not as good as Fair in that respect, and Side B completely outdoes it in terms of forwards range. The thing is that Side B is significantly slower, and this sort of balances it out. Side B is easier to punish as well, but Nair's weird angle again kind of ruins some of its potential. All in all, Side B is better, but make sure to refresh it later.

And also, Nair and Fair aren't interchangeable in the slightest. Nair is for comboing and as a ooS option. Fair is for pure damage and also as a kill move. If Fair gets stale, you can either refresh it with jabs and pummels, or use Bair instead.
n-air is also the the only air move besides over B and d-air, that can hit every oppenent on the ground no matter what, and guess what if you do it right its safe, and its first active frame is the 6th one, so its faster than most ppl think. Not to mention its crazy priority, and if you can consistantly hit n-air3(mid) in match which isn't as hard as you would expect it nets free combos.

*b-air will fail to hit a few characters when they are ducking :(, but for the most part it is also amazingly safe the problem is the move doesn't have as much sheild stun so you have to do it at its max range if you want it to have a semblance of being safe.

Hence

Smash Ace
Because my sprite was drawn that way, duh. There's no other logical explaintion except the fact that she's a cat... XD

lil cj

Smash Lord
Im having problems fighting other ZSS players
I was on wifi...in a free for all and there were two other ZSS players
i ***** at first but then one player got very agressive
and I didnt know what to do???
Im not good at dittos:(

noradseven

Smash Lord
Im having problems fighting other ZSS players
I was on wifi...in a free for all and there were two other ZSS players
i ***** at first but then one player got very agressive
and I didnt know what to do???
Im not good at dittos:(
This is how ZSS dittos roll
is the oppenent above me u-air
Is the person approaching with a short hop , short hop f-air
are they close to me, u-tilt/jab
Are we in a jab fight buffer d-tilt
are they spamming air over B, do over B on the ground
Are they spamming over B on the ground, do a dash attack
Do I actually want to approach n-air to jab

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Are they spamming dash attack, space with Paralyzer
Are they spamming Paralyzer, then just jump over it and hit them
Are they in the air below me, Dair and hope for the best or airdodge, depending on spacing
are they going to dair, usmash

Ultimately, relying on any set pattern in this match-up is going to make you lose. You have to basically out-predict your opponent on most things.

ZSS is also really good at pressuring another ZSS on the ledge. Dsmash and Plasma Whip make it almost impossible to ledge camp, although stalling requires more dsmash. You have to predict dsmash or Plasma Whip, then know what will beat that decision, which depends more on spacing and timing than anything. I'll give you a hint, though: it doesn't involve ledge-hopping.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Thanks very helpful advice:)
I see what I did wrong now
What you just explained the other ZSS's did to me lol

Are they in the air below me, Dair and hope for the best or airdodge, depending on spacing

Ultimately, relying on any set pattern in this match-up is going to make you lose. You have to basically out-predict your opponent on most things.

ZSS is also really good at pressuring another ZSS on the ledge. Dsmash and Plasma Whip make it almost impossible to ledge camp, although stalling requires more dsmash. You have to predict dsmash or Plasma Whip, then know what will beat that decision, which depends more on spacing and timing than anything. I'll give you a hint, though: it doesn't involve ledge-hopping.

Thanks that was very helpful
I was using the same pattern lol

noradseven

Smash Lord

These 2 are like true 90% of the time though.
Is the oppenent above me u-air

Some added stuff for are they below you, you have tons of options, f-air fast fall can be devastating, so can n-air, and a well timed down B can be amazing(ly dangerous), the n-air especially it comes out in 6 frames and you can catch alot of stuff before the u-air comes out. d-air is basically suicide unless it connects, but don't knock it entirely especially if they chased high.

Also lol at spamming paralyzer in a ZSS clone fight for the reasons you specified, jumps n-air haha.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
These 2 are like true 90% of the time though.
Is the oppenent above me u-air

Some added stuff for are they below you, you have tons of options, f-air fast fall can be devastating, so can n-air, and a well timed down B can be amazing(ly dangerous), the n-air especially it comes out in 6 frames and you can catch alot of stuff before the u-air comes out. d-air is basically suicide unless it connects, but don't knock it entirely especially if they chased high.

Also lol at spamming paralyzer in a ZSS clone fight for the reasons you specified, jumps n-air haha.
Basically, the reason I bring up dair is because it really can punish poor vertical spacing. I do it maybe once a match when people think they can chase me with impunity. It has to be rare, though, because eventually, they just bait the dair and punish. If they do that, then they also create an opening for you to land.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Basically, the reason I bring up dair is because it really can punish poor vertical spacing. I do it maybe once a match when people think they can chase me with impunity. It has to be rare, though, because eventually, they just bait the dair and punish. If they do that, then they also create an opening for you to land.
Yeah I kinda hold it in the same group as f-smash, its more of a too keep you honest move.

F-tilt is more of a there is exactly 1 use for this move.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Charby: Does it make a difference? ZSS already has pretty good MC.

Wouldn't this basically be what we do with the flip-jump?
I don't normally use the FJ for momentum cancelling because you lose your third jump. If we could use say, paralyzer or plasma whip/wire, that would be great.

The reverse momentum is obviously built into Flip Jump. Say you do could do the same thing with Plasma Wire. That'd be pretty useful.

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Charby: Does it make a difference? ZSS already has pretty good MC.

I don't normally use the FJ for momentum cancelling because you lose your third jump. If we could use say, paralyzer or plasma whip/wire, that would be great.

The reverse momentum is obviously built into Flip Jump. Say you do could do the same thing with Plasma Wire. That'd be pretty useful.

I guess it's better or even , but you have to do it with the neutral B

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Right.

So uair, then Paralyzer Cancel, then jump back. Awesome.
I've actually been thinking on this, and I think it might really be useful to mix up the first jump you use to get back, because both have their uses. Flip Jump has massive invincibility, and gives the opportunity to flipstool someone who's edgeguarding, but if you miss, then there's no really good way to punish edgeguarders, except a Wire Spike. But a second jump is really high, and if you've already Flip Jumped, then you can punish edgeguarders with a bair or uair. You also have the option of airdodging or attacking people on the stage.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
erm, last I checked reversing our stuff doesn't do anything (and by last I checked I mean today).

best way to survive is just airdodge/u-air and flipjump (if you're really close to dying).

on a side note. Has anyone tried jab cancelling to jab? I just found out about it on Snake and it seems like it would be super good on ZSS. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can Jab, buffer a crouch, and then buffer another Jab. What this means is that you perform your first jab as many times as you want. To me, this sounds ideal because our other jabs are ****ty anyways. Plus, at any time you can just buffer a d-tilt instead of jab (once they've slid far enough away?) Seems like it would work pretty well, gotta field test it soon.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Faded:

I brought this up a while back, kind of. While ZSS' jab cancel is not very good, this is worth trying. What I wanted to experiment with is ZSS "combat walking," which is similar to the thing Ike does where he jabs, walks forward to cancel, and jabs again.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Faded:

I brought this up a while back, kind of. While ZSS' jab cancel is not very good, this is worth trying. What I wanted to experiment with is ZSS "combat walking," which is similar to the thing Ike does where he jabs, walks forward to cancel, and jabs again.
Agreed. Jab cancelling is worth the risk. Sure, it may do very little damage, but it can refresh your Bair and Plasma Whip brilliantly, so that's worth something.

BTW guys, a quick question to you lot. Do you like to save your Uairs for a surprise kill, or do you prefer to use it a lot so that it combos better due to lower knockback? I generally go with the latter.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Most of us go with the latter. Uair doesn't usually kill except on stages with low ceilings, but when it does it sure feels good.

I think Dazwa keeps uair pretty fresh, but not on purpose, mostly because he abuses the **** out of bair. Norad likes bair over uair, too... it depends on your playstyle. Uair isn't something you "save," though. If you see an opening for a uair chain, take that ****.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
BTW guys, a quick question to you lot. Do you like to save your Uairs for a surprise kill, or do you prefer to use it a lot so that it combos better due to lower knockback? I generally go with the latter.
I only go for Uair on Halberd, or vs. Snake, since her jumps are so fast Snakes sometimes forget that I can reach them pretty ****ing high up pretty fast.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Most of us go with the latter. Uair doesn't usually kill except on stages with low ceilings, but when it does it sure feels good.

I think Dazwa keeps uair pretty fresh, but not on purpose, mostly because he abuses the **** out of bair. Norad likes bair over uair, too... it depends on your playstyle. Uair isn't something you "save," though. If you see an opening for a uair chain, take that ****.
I depends on my match mostly if they hug the ground they will get abused by b-air, if for some reason they like to jump above ZSS (aka have a death wish), then by all means u-air will be crazy degraded.

noradseven

Smash Lord
heyas,

I'm a new zero suit main, and I've picked up the character alright, the thing is... i'm having trouble killing. I normally do a down smash to uair/bair, or a side b, but are there any other ways to go about getting that kill??

thanks so much ^_^
b-air kills at like 90%, like 120-130% if you spam it like me and dazwa.

u-air kills fairly early fresh but you should be spamming it in most match's so don't count on a kill till around 150% unless its a low cieling.

other kills
Over-B flat out.
d-smash over B.
d-smash down B spike, a classic
f-air to edge hog, trust me its effective.

Its a fairly sizable list and our oppenents shouldn't last past 150% unless they are rob or something.

Also get used to relying less on d-smash it becomes less good the more your oppenents get used to it, because it takes 1/3 of a second to come out. :(

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
I have just picked up ZSS and I'm thinking about maining her. Her killing power is amazing (to me) but the only problem I have is racking up the damage. Is there any combos or chaingrabs or something that ZSS has?

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I have just picked up ZZS and I'm thinking about maining her. Her killing power is amazing (to me) but the only problem I have is racking up the damage. Is there any combos or chaingrabs or something that ZZS has?
You know, it's kinda funny you say that. Most people who start with ZSS start out thinking that she's great at racking up damage and bad at killing. Anyway, here's the actual advice.

ZSS has tons of combos, the most in the game. Double DSmash to basically anything works perfectly so long as you can get in that first DSmash. DSmash > DSmash > Fair does almost 40% damage in one go! But it isn't just DSmash that combos. If you get a paralyser shot in, that's a free dash attack or grab most of the time as well. Dash attack combos into DTilt or FTilt (maybe UTilt as well), and it can even combo into itself at certain percents (look up a thread about dash attack locks for more information). Finally, Nair can combo into many other moves at low percents, especially the back part of it. There's a thread on the combos for that as well. Oh, and Uair combos into itself. So yeah, ZSS is bursting with combos.

And she has a chaingrab as well. If you buffer a dash grab each time, her FThrow can chaingrab certain characters (and there's yet another thread telling you who it can chaingrab), some of them to around 60% even. The only problem is that ZSS' grab takes 16 frames to appear, and has a lot of ending lag, so make sure to be careful about when you use it.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
I have just picked up ZSS and I'm thinking about maining her. Her killing power is amazing (to me) but the only problem I have is racking up the damage. Is there any combos or chaingrabs or something that ZSS has?
Fix'd. Its not ZZS Lol =P
Also she has a Fthrow CG on fatties but you need to buffer it, there's a thread on the boards. Also she has some of the best combos in game (Dsmash combos, aerial juggles, Dash attack>Utilt/Dtilt>Aerial string), look up in some of the threads and expand on them. After playing her from a while you understand how much stun and knockback most attacks have and can almost instinctively know what to follow up with.
Edit: Fthrow CG threads http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=228857
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=240585
Dash attack locks http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235429
Both good ways to rack up damage.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Hey guys.

So I fizzled around with the infi on wario, and noticed you have to buffer it. However, I don't know which frames should be used for buffering. Any description of them would be greatly appreciated.

And who can we dash-grab-release chaingrab (assuming buffering is done right), currently I'm only aware of MK, even though recently people found out that other characters have bad release animations too.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Don't forget the n-air combos haha *hint they rule.
Not to be rude, but I already said that....

Hey guys.

So I fizzled around with the infi on wario, and noticed you have to buffer it. However, I don't know which frames should be used for buffering. Any description of them would be greatly appreciated.
Here's how the buffer system works. If you're doing something, and you input another action within 10 frames of when the ending lag finishes, then that action will be performed immediately after the lag is finished. When doing ZSS' chaingrab, once you've pressed forward to throw, immediately return it to neutral, then smash it to the right again to buffer the dash (and press the grab button of course).

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Here's how the buffer system works. If you're doing something, and you input another action within 10 frames of when the ending lag finishes, then that action will be performed immediately after the lag is finished. When doing ZSS' chaingrab, once you've pressed forward to throw, immediately return it to neutral, then smash it to the right again to buffer the dash (and press the grab button of course).
Thanks for the explanation.

Is it possible to just spam A (while holding shield) or do you have to time it (like a tech)?

And still would like to know who we can grab release chaingrab, if there's any thread about it already I apologize for asking. :dizzy:

sasook

Smash Champion
b-air kills at like 90%, like 120-130% if you spam it like me and dazwa.
Depends on the character, and how close/far they are to the middle of the stage. I've lived from SFP's bair at like, 170% before. :laugh:

Dash attack combos into DTilt or FTilt (maybe UTilt as well)
DA -> utilt is amazing, great damage racker. I forget how much but it's a lot for just 2 moves.

Thank you Mountain Tiger, I'll start reading around here to improve my game with her.
Be sure to check out SFP's guide.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
*shameless self plug* http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197763

FadedImage said:
Characters who CANNOT be jabbed after a ground release:
Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Zelda, Pit, King Dedede, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Ike.

Characters who no-pummel break to the air AND get dash grabbed (Always chaingrab-able):
Metaknight, Pikachu, Squirtle, Lucas.

Characters who get dash grabbed BUT no-input break to the ground (chaingrab-able IF they resist):
Bowser, Diddy Kong, Link, Ganondorf, Zero Suit Samus, Falco, Charizard, Ike, Sonic.

Characters who no-pummel break to the air AND can be hit with an aerial (Always guaranteed aerial):
Mario, Wario, Toon Link, Ice Climber, Kirby, Olimar, Ivysaur, Jigglypuff, Ness, Lucas, Game and Watch.

Characters who can be hit with an aerial BUT no-input break to the ground (guaranteed aerial IF they resist):
Donkey Kong, Charizard, Ike.

Top Bottom