• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Zelda Q & A / FAQs / Directory ~

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Noobish question. How you transform and not be punished later?

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello Zelda boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
In other words; R.O.B.'s advantage (slightly) 55:45. Do you Zelda mainers agree on that ratio?

Fuujin

Smash Champion
The general consensus is that ROB beats Zelda solidly, but not to the point where it's unwinnable for Zelda.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298484

Have you taken a look at this?
That chart has things likeD3/Pit/Lucas/Ike/Sheik as -1, Lucario/Fox/Peach as -2.
Not the best reference to use.
Putting Ed in the BR was a godsend for the BBR, even if he doesn't use Zelda for all of the MUs hell be tons better than whoever was previously giving their opinion on that chart.

Still can't wrap my mind around what sane Zelda player wanted to give Lucario -1.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Not the best reference to use.
Yes, because random dudes in the Zelda boards are much better.

Putting Ed in the BR was a godsend for the BBR, even if he doesn't use Zelda for all of the MUs hell be tons better than whoever was previously giving their opinion on that chart
It's not only the Zelda player's opinions. They had to talk to the other character mains in order to reach a consensus. If it were as simple as all the character mains in the BBR putting down numbers, we'd have a a hella conflicting chart now wouldn't we?

It's all subjective. You can agree with the chart, you can disagree with the chart.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Yes, because random dudes in the Zelda boards are much better.

It's not only the Zelda player's opinions. They had to talk to the other character mains in order to reach a consensus. If it were as simple as all the character mains in the BBR putting down numbers, we'd have a a hella conflicting chart now wouldn't we?

It's all subjective. You can agree with the chart, you can disagree with the chart.
Yet I was specifically told the Zeldas wanted -1 on the Lucario MU.
Things that wrong are about the same as asking random Zelda dudes.

Maybe if they BBR would tell who was responsible for it I may understand it better..
I'm assuming they asked some BBR members who have pocket Zeldas or the Sheik mains for advice on the chart.
Shes a bottom tier character so they didn't really care how accurate it was.
No one will own up to admitting they contributed to the chart either.
Sorta of like they don't want to admit they gave really bad info on a character they don't know about just for the sake of filling up space on the chart.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I'm assuming they asked some BBR members who have pocket Zeldas or the Sheik mains for advice on the chart.
Sorta of like they don't want to admit they gave really bad info on a character they don't know about just for the sake of filling up space on the chart.
There were actually competent players on the Zelda panel. I would know. You wouldn't.

What's up Zelda mains?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

This mass survey across most of the character boards is admin approved.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
What's up Zelda mains?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

This mass survey across most of the character boards is admin approved.
Despite what many OOT fanboys like to think, Zelda is a girl...
anyways
I used to like Norfair back in the days of wifi but it isn't really a good stage for her imo.

The stage design and hazards promote camping and aerial fighting, both things Zelda isn't very good at.
She does bad against almost everyone here, she's like a sitting duck in the air(slow fall speed, mediocre airspeed, bad aerials, so safe way to land on solid ground against some characters). It doesn't help that when she does land on the ground unless she's on the middle platform the opponent can just get right under her again.
To sum it up, Zelda is already bad against a large portion of the cast on any stage, this stage is no exception.
Its even worse against some of her already TERRIBLE match ups, MK, Snake, Lucario, GnW(oh god the horror of that u air:urg:), and even match ups that Zelda does decently against are harder for her here like Ganon, Yoshi, Jigglypuff, etc.
Controlling the center works best, Zelda likes to stay grounded and generally beneath her opponents (though the lava kinda ****s this up).
Mostly bad, that isn't saying much though.
Zelda doesn't really have any good stages other than mansion.

TL;DR
Zelda is a ground based character who's really, really bad in the air and Norfair is a stage that consist of aerial gameplay.
Also she's really slow and has an even harder time catching opponents there.

This is.... complete enough for me to use. Don't really have any more questions, although more comments would be nice if there's anything worth clarifying. :)

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Fuujin's pretty much right. This stage not being legal means I don't practice on it so I can't really add anything.

The only thing I remember is it being legal early in brawls life and it was okay for Zelda in doubles. Offered a lot of room to camp, otherwise it was tough to recover and seemed to hinder her quite a bit.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
well, I really like Norfair... and I don't think it's that bad for the Snake MU as Fuujin said, actually it's kind of easier imo... just don't get Utilted on the top platform, because if that happens Zelda can die at ridiculously low % :c

anyways I think there are bad MUs here as well, and many of them can just get even worse x_x EDIT: there can also be good MU's(?) I think (diddy comes to mind)

I like to just think of the stage and look carefully at every hazard because they're easily avoided and as they can help us kill earlier/get a lot of "free" %, we can die earlier and eat damage.

Other thing I like to do is to PS the lava wall and stay there for a while

this is something random and for the lulz but if it's a good idea get out or get the hit to get quickly to the oponent and kill him... although this is hard to do and it's just like a surprise thing xD

that's just my feeling of the stage, I like it and I have never done that bad on it, I actually use it for my own good xD

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Shameless copy paste.

Nayru's Momentum Cancel
Because Nayru's reacts so strongly with momentum, it can be used as a method of momentum canceling, allowing Zelda to live slightly longer than usual without using her second jump. Note that improper execution of this technique can launch you past the blastzone, so if you're not sure you can do it right, it's better to not even try.

How to perform:

- As you leave hitstun, fastfall bair; then,
- B-reverse Nayru's Love (input Nayru's, then hold reverse direction with the control stick -- towards the blastzone -- by frame 4)

The result:

Zelda will perform Nayru's in the opposite direction (facing towards the blastzone), and her momentum will reverse to push her slightly back towards the stage.

The timing is fairly strict, but it's doable with practice.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Nair is an unusual move. It seems to send your opponent in different directions, depending on where you're hitting them from. I could be wrong, but also when you tilt the control stick in a certain direction when using nair, it seems like you can kind of 'control' which direction your opponent will go from nair. However, it doesn't seem to control it exactly. For example, when I use nair and slightly tilt the control stick down, it pops my opponent right above me. Here are a couple of things I noticed about nair depending on where I'm hitting my opponent from + tilting control stick:

• Landing nair in front of opponent + tilt control stick ?: Sends opponent front of me
  • Landing nair behind opponent + tilt control stick ?: Sends opponent behind me
  • Landing nair from above the opponent + tilt control stick down: Pops them above me

This post may be subject to change as I look into it further, and make any changes/corrections.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Nair is dependent on where and when you hit with it.

If you hit behind someone with the first hitbox, it'll usually turn them around and also put them in front of you.
If you hit in front of someone with the first hibox, it'll usually turn them around and also put them behind you.
The second hitbox is usually the pop up hitbox.
The third is the opposite of the first two statements (I think)
The fourth is a very soft spike. It can also act like the the first I think.
The fifth should be the strong hitbox.

I honestly need to check into this more lol. It also changes when you hit with more than one of the hitboxes. Best way to check it out is hit up training mode with Snake as your opponent and check out what FF Nair does for you. In my experience, this is what it's done for me. Hope it helps!

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I remember looking into nair in detail! This is how it works on grounded opponents:

the first 4 hits drag the opponent toward zelda. here's a vid explaining some things about nair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHveYRodTrI

despite what is thought, the first 4 hits can't be SDI'd because Kay said there's no value for SDI (similar to Usmash), so it's zelda's positioning that determines whether or not the opponent pops out or not when used on a grounded opponent.

anyway basically it drags toward you so wherever zelda's going, the opponent's going with her. this is how you can manipulate the trajectories. on bigger/taller characters it might cause them to land funny and if your quick you can chase with slight benefits but you have to be aware of their positioning. sweetspot kick is hard... jujux used to do this iirc but it's just hard.

o wait i was about to post but i remembered that on smaller characters it pops them up slightly higher than dtilt's popup. it definitely has to do with landing the move in the centre of the opponent. this happens on bigger characters too but they go slightly diagonally in the air.

basically just go to training mode and work things out from there ha :awesome:

edit: i forgot to say that you're likelier to get a harder landing from the opponent (more lag on their part) the less from the centre of the opponent you are (so nair's max range) !

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
Just watch Zelda, if you see she moves her arm it means it'll detonate, and you have time to either shield, dodge of even clank/cancel it with your Nair.

Top Bottom