• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda+: OP In-Process of Overhaul as of 04-05-10

Bandit

Smash Lord
I whiffed an Usmash and my opponent was able to get off his gannon punch. It went through me without damage. I've had projectiles do the same (which is what invincibility means), but the "nerf" has reduced the amount of punishable moves players can use against a missed Usmash.

The one thing no one realizes is the hitbox has not changed size. It was simply moved down. Usmash now hits grounded opponents or opponents standing next to you because the hit box is lower.

Personally, I think the "nerf" was a "buff."

:bandit:

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i figured d-throw was still diable but it was a hope and dream it was not. also are u sure u can't get a fee dash attack out of it even with DI. (u probable can't but it feels like u can. i still have not gotten to play a person yet).

yea this new up-smash seems pretty awesome i did not know all the changes made to it.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I can probably find someone who can help you, but I can't due to me not having a Wii.

I personally think if you are love jumping then you have done something wrong, but your use could work though I would never really want to transform off stage.

-----

I've decided that since I have a lot of information on Zelda+ that I will finally spell it out in the OP's. Activity has not increased at all in this thread, so I will just have to drum up some discussion myself. I will post new information piece by piece as I feel like typing it. There won't be a schedule of release, but I will post the information as a post to let everyone know there has been a new piece of information.

In the end, it should end up as a decent guide and a good launch point for discussion.
Please have them contact me, please. (: That would really help me out BIG time.

And that's a marvelous idea. (:

Rion

Smash Journeyman
I whiffed an Usmash and my opponent was able to get off his gannon punch. It went through me without damage. I've had projectiles do the same (which is what invincibility means), but the "nerf" has reduced the amount of punishable moves players can use against a missed Usmash.

The one thing no one realizes is the hitbox has not changed size. It was simply moved down. Usmash now hits grounded opponents or opponents standing next to you because the hit box is lower.

Personally, I think the "nerf" was a "buff."
Interesting about the hitbox shift for Usmash! That actually does help out a lot more than I realized... I've also been told that Zelda from the waist up is how much invincibility she has, which is pretty sweet.

Now the question is, when do the invincibility frames start and end? Would it be for as long as the Usmash hitboxes are out?

Zelda's shaping up to be a pretty nice character now. She will have her revenge for all the low-tierness from before! Mwahahaha!

The funny part is, I don't think she's considered top 10 right now, but I have a feeling she's getting closer.

I doubt any more changes will happen to Zelda anymore, as she seems pretty well tuned up already. Though you never know I suppose?

Looking over her move set as of now and some of my opinions...

Jab
Great. It was changed to be much more reliable in terms of getting all this hits to link properly.

If your opponent is close enough to your back, it can actually hit them and put them almost straight in front of you (though this doesn't happen to often) which can lead to another jab or another move.

This is also good for poking shields as it's pretty disjointed and has very low cool down. Just be careful of it's slightly slow speed as it comes out at 11 frames.

Ftilt
Okay. It originally came out on frame 12, but was changed to have 1.2x speed which makes it come out at frame 10 (12 x 0.8 = 9.6 = 10 rounded up) and the IASA frame would go from 40 to 32.

I assume 1.2x speed is for the whole move, as it doesn't mention it being only the start up... though someone will have to clarify that one.

Ftilt is alright, though I find it particularly annoying to land because of the linearity/coverage of the move. It does have some interesting combo capabilities at lower % but at high % merely becomes a move to put your opponent in a bad position as follow ups become impossible afterward due to the increased knock back.

It also has a strange 2nd knock back angle where if you hit the opponent too close up, it sends them rather horizontally forwards rather than the normal backward, upward diagonal. Sometimes that might be good, sometimes not so just be aware of your relation to your opponent while doing this.

It's not amazing, but it's not terrible either. Probably doesn't warrant any real changes.

Fsmash
Great. One of her best moves! It was changed to have all it's hits connect properly
upon connection 99% of the time (sometimes if your opponent is in a weird position as you start it, it'll just do 1%, but this is extremely rare).

I mean, what can you say about Fsmash? It has good range, non-punishable on block, stays out from frame 16 - 24, has pretty low cool down (IASA is 40) and has the dreaded transcendent priority. With the fix to it as well, it's a very reliable and solid move for Zelda.

The only thing to watch out for is trades, as she will lose out a majority of the time because of its multi-hit nature. Also it will be less effective against people that can out range it, so just be careful not to get baited into using it against those opponents who you know can out range you (ZZS, DK, Marth etc).

Dtilt
Great. Another one of her best moves! I believe the only change to it was her IASA frame went from 25 to 26... a barely noticeable change really, but might as well note it in case.

Now because of the increase hit stun compared to vBrawl, it is possible to seriously link Dtilts together with a lot of ease. Once your opponent has a bit of damage built up, Dtilt > Dtilt becomes a combo practically against a lot of people (I believe it's weight dependent however). Also, people who don't DI out of this quickly are gonna get really hurt! This also starts to pop up opponents at higher %, which can lead to a killing combo of either Utilt for vertical kills (or Usmash if they move too far from you) or Fsmash for side kills once they're high enough (however this also depends on their gravity, as some characters might fall too fast to the ground for Zelda to catch them with these moves and tech). A damage racker and a good starting combo to kill move at later %, it's pretty awesome.

Though it does have slightly short range, and the hitboxes are pretty low on the ground so a well placed jump is all it takes to dodge and counter attack with an aerial if they can predict it. Also, strangely enough this is one of the few moves Zelda has that can clash with other attacks and stop projectiles even; though this is pretty rare and probably shouldn't be used with those things in mind... another thing is if opponents have a fast enough attack, they can interrupt some Dtilt combos if they're low enough %, so just be careful and mindful of who you're facing (characters like Marth or Sheik etc).

It can also spike, for the lulz.

Overall though, a very good move and basically her "jab" in common terms (frame 5 is fairly fast after all).

Dsmash
Good! I don't think this got altered in Brawl+ at all as it's already pretty good as it is already.

Dsmash is her fastest attack to come out (frame 4) making it a nice move to use for speed. The knockback is decent, and the knockback angle is pretty horizontal as well making it a decent kill move, though she does have better options for killing... however if you need the speed, then for sure go for it. It's also a good "get away!" move, as it covers both sides of her. Sometimes too, if your opponent is slightly inside Zelda's body, the first hit will smack them into the second hit of DSmash, 'causing almost 20% damage instantly (though this doesn't occur too often, it's very nice when it does).

Also, this is a good follow up after Dtilt if you know your opponent's going to escape out of it and you can't follow up with more Dtilts.

If you really want to kill with Dtilt > Dsmash, be sure to charge the Dsmash a bit as the Dtilt sometimes knocks the opponent a little higher than the hitbox if you follow-up right away at higher %.

Dsmash has its obvious uses, however don't get too spammy with it because it is extremely punishable on shield block if you hit with the first hit box (frame 4 hit > 40 IASA, ouch) and it will most likely get you grabbed or something because of it's rather low shield pushback. In general too, if you consider the first hit only covering her front, she's completely open from the front as she performs her second hit from frame 12 to 40 IASA. Definitely something people might want to bait out of you, so just be careful.

Utilt
Good. I used to think this might require some sort of change, but now... I'm not too sure. It is definitely more powerful than Usmash, though Usmash in general has a much larger utility. However the power of this should not be ignored, and probably doesn't deserve that much of a change. This is also excellent for trading against people who may want to use aerials against you, which is funny for Zelda (1% trades anybody?) just as long as the attack isn't too disjointed.

Some things that might be annoying is how slowly she waves her arm over her, which means if you miss you're probably gonna get hurt. Though this has a good side too, as it can sometimes catch people out of an airdodge or maybe a roll that strays too close to Zelda; however doing this takes a bit of practice and probably better to use Usmash anyway if that happens simply because it's easier to land and has a more constant and faster coverage (not to mention a whole bunch of other things). The knock back angle can sometimes be a bit finicky as well, since it depends on which part of the Utilt you hit them with and this is a lot more DI-able than Usmash. Though if they mess up a DI... it's gonna be ugly. Like Snake Utilt ugly (Oh, to have that angle :().

If there was one thing I'd want to change for this, it would be the knock back angle. Though I'm doubtful it warrants a change, that'd be the first change I'd want~

Usmash
Great. So many changes were done to this thing... but from what I know now, it's slightly weaker than vBrawl's Usmash, had it's hitboxes lowered and has added invincibility on a portion of Zelda for a certain period.

Usmash is pretty much a very evil move to punish aerials with. Because of it's decent range and new invincibility which is from Zelda's waist up, aerials that might normally trade just get totally stopped in their tracks if they overlap right. It's great at catching people coming down if they don't have good options to hit you from below, plus the partial invincibility helps a ton for this. It's a pretty decent kill move too and combo move at lower %. I believe this also has transcendent priority to add on top of all of this. It has a lot going for it! Personally, I'd need to experiment more with it but it seems to be a pretty dang solid move for her.

The things to be careful about though: pretty easy to punish if it hits shield as it has rather low shield pushback, so watch out for that. Another thing is getting baited into using it, as the afterlag is long (Frame 57 IASA), so don't get too jumpy with it and be patient.

Mm, I'll do her other moves later. Gotta pack for school and stuff :x

So far so good though with her moveset!

P.S. Good lord this is way longer than I thought. Sorry!

Bandit

Smash Lord
Pretty great tournament over the weekend in a warm-up for pound. I have plenty of matches that I will put in the OP's and link as well as at least one match of Vanz using Zelda.

@Rion - I read through everything, but I'll comment later. I wouldn't worry about putting up frame data because the change list on the Brawlplus website doesn't correspond to the changes done in 6.0. I've also been warned that they may not be correct or they may be missing things.

One thing I know for sure is Jab was sped up, but it is no where on the change list. I know of a bunch of other changes, but I will simply wait for the new official change list to come out for frame data. My sources say it will hopefully be out sooner rather than later.

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Sped up jab?!

Ridiculousness-ness. In a good way ;o

I look forward to a concrete changelist Andarel!

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
So, apparently OpenSA doesn't like displaying Zelda's changes. Since there are lots of hitboxes and a good number of them are special offensive collisions, which are shortened improperly in the program.

Sigh.

Almost done, though. I'll try and get as much done as possible when I get back from work, hopefully finishing it off.

Played some wifail yesterday. So out of practice. ;-;

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
so how are zelda's MU looking? does she have any hard counters or any large advantages? any kind of thoughts on her MU and stuff relating to it?

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
true but some other boards are having them.

A side note idk if i can take zelda seeming good them turning out to be bad again it would be just to upsetting

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
Changelist changelist changelist.

Should be done soon, working on it again. Making a texture pack takes so much time.

By the way, which Zelda texture do you think looks better for her free slot? (No team color assigned to it)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c318/Andarel/al_100110_1607binout.jpg

or

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c318/Andarel/al_100109_0308binout.jpg

:O

Edit: Second one looks sweet in-game, mind you. Portrait doesn't to it justice. The issue is...well, invisible feet. Dunno how competitive-legit that is. :[ Looks awesome, though, and the dust is still there when she swipes and the sparkle when she kicks.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
^hm well since u r right the 2nd one does not look very good in that pic i would say the 1st one but hard to tell since u said the 2nd one looks cool in game. Were did u get these textures?

Bandit

Smash Lord
true but some other boards are having them.

A side note idk if i can take zelda seeming good them turning out to be bad again it would be just to upsetting
Then find another character.

Seriously, if you just like good characters, you should just play DDD and Metaknight. Then you won't need to worry about whether your character is good or not because they are guaranteed to be good.

Zelda is a flawed character and she will be that way forever. Love her for what she is or move on.

Tough love and no sympathies.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Then find another character.

Seriously, if you just like good characters, you should just play DDD and Metaknight. Then you won't need to worry about whether your character is good or not because they are guaranteed to be good.

Zelda is a flawed character and she will be that way forever. Love her for what she is or move on.

Tough love and no sympathies.

hmm i think u misunderstand what i ment. ok so 1st off in vbrawl i play rob and i am trying to pick up pit so top of the tier list does not matter to me. what i ment was that it would be very upsetting if just like in vbrawl zelda seemed great and ended up being a bad character since i really like the way she feels to play. i don't think she will turn out to be bad since they fixed what her flaws were imo. and fyi even through i don't use her in tourney anymore does not mean i don't bring her out and rep her well like the time i was beating ally with her (the match was stopped b/c a tourney match needed the tv) and just recently i used her in some friendlies and beat a pretty good rob with her o and DDD and MK might be my 2 least fav characters to use in brawl.

u misunderstood my love for zelda and the hope i can use her in b+ tourneys for me complaining.

edit: i never really use the expression fyi and so i tried it out, didn't really like it

Bandit

Smash Lord
Zelda was only thought to be good in vBrawl because of Wifi. It is why Ike was first considered a good character.

I just played a high level tournament, and I can tell you she is still mid to low tier.

If you didn't like using her in vBrawl tournaments, then you won't like using her in Brawl+ tournaments. This much I can tell you.

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
Bear with me, because this is going to be long. I'll probably post part of it now, and part when I get back home and have more time to think it through.

It's pretty clear to me that Zelda is not one of the better characters. While it's hard to see sometimes, and playing on wifi obscures a lot of her failings due to punishability times being decreased (input lag), she suffers from being inherently flawed - as Bandit said. While I think the B+ team has done a great job pushing her to be a better character, lately I have been thinking about it a lot and I feel that the only way for her to even out with the rest of the cast is to have a more offensive, continuous flow-based playstyle.

In other words, I'd very much like Zelda to move closer to Ganondorf in terms of playstyle. Ganon is extremely fun to play, and does not suffer from being overly defensive. Which is so nice.

Anyhow, here are some thoughts, perhaps a bit disorganized.

Zelda, like most of the rest of the cast, has about 20 moves at her disposal. These are:
Jab, Ftilt, Utilt, Dtilt
Usmash, Dsmash, Fsmash
B, SideB, UpB, DownB
Grab (to Uthrow, Fthrow, Dthrow, Bthrow)
Nair, Fair, Bair, Uair, Dair

The usual deal.

Now, for balancing:

The moves that I would say are fine in 6.0 and should not be changed in any way are: Usmash, UpB, DownB, Bthrow, Uthrow. I think those are all perfect as-is. Forward-smash is really good, and probably fine too.

Her best moves at the moment are Fsmash, Usmash, and Dtilt. That's pretty much expected.

The problem with Zelda is a major disparity in her moveset. Looking at Ganon, he can approach with nair, fair, dc dtilt, dash attack (to punish), and perhaps shff uair (EDIT: oh, and I've seen dair and RAR bair work too. And DownB and SideB, to punish.). If the opponent is above him, uair is ridiculous. In terms of kill moves, he has usmash, fsmash, fair, uair, bair, dair, and ftilt. (Warlock Punch and volcano kick don't count, since they're not reliable).

Zelda, on the other hand, has how many kill moves? Fair, Bair, and Dair kill early, Dair for a spike. Fsmash and Uair kill slightly later, then Utilt, Usmash, Bthrow. Even later, ftilt - though that doesn't really count. In fact, the only moves of hers that don't kill are her specials, jab, nair, ftilt, and dash attack. And all of those are extremely specialized.

The thing is, we're not looking at a scenario like Snake's utilt or ftilt in vBrawl, where the move just happens to kill in addition to spacing and damage racking. No way. Her moves are all very strong, but because they are kill moves they lack followups and flow - Zelda has to scrape together momentum after lightning kicking someone in order to try and keep damage going. Why? Because all of Zelda's moves are extremely specialized, and those specialties almost never include approach.

Really, how many approaches does Zelda have? Din's Fire is a strong projectile, but it never hits. Even worse, it has serious endlag and all they need to do is swat out out of the air or SHFF an airdodge and you've missed and are open. Dtilt is decent on shield, but with low hitstun and 20 frames between hit and IASA it's not perfect. And of course, all they need to do is SH an aerial and dtilt's small hitbox hits the ground and not them. Fsmash is safe on shield but comes out frame 14, and if they roll behind you or spotdodge well you're open to major pain. Usmash can't be spotdodged but is MASSIVELY unsafe on shield, as is dsmash. Utilt? Useless, except when it's useful. The problem is that it's only useful out of dtilt or to catch dodges/rolls...which has nothing to do with getting past defenses. Nair would be nice because it's fast, has a decent hitbox and lasts a while...except it's massively unsafe on shield. See a trend?

Anyhow, lunch is about over. I'll post the remainder of my thoughts in a bit.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Great thoughts.

I don't think it is a secret she is a defensive character, but there is one move I don't think you've fully explored which is the new Nair.

Nair is her only approach move other than DC-Dtilt (I call it the baseball slide). Dtilt is a pretty safe move and Nair is safe on block if you auto-cancel behind them. The new hitboxes on Nair give it both offensive and defensive abilities. While it can be out ranged, it's TP and generally quick hitbox makes it ideal for approaching and beating other character's aerials. It's not perfect by any means, but it is something.

As far as its combo ability, I have strung nairs and nairs to bairs in serious matches. I doubt they are all true, but the knockback angle is good for follow ups.

Bair is another approach since it was found that flub bair is safer on shield than sweet spotted. Basically, this means you can keep throwing it out there and pestering them. Admittedly, this is still fairly defensive, but it comes out quick and has the power to keep your opponent at bay.

Zelda is a campy character but not with projectiles. You have to bait moves with her and punish other people's approaches.

The biggest problem is not that her moves don't have uses, it's that the moves themselves in their design prohibit an offensive game.

Most are too slow or unconventional which specializes them (as you said).

Think about the animations. None of them help her stay mobile while performing the move except nair and the LK's

Dair doesn't have a spike bounce until they are at 150+ which is BULL. Even then, it pops them up a little bit. It basically replaces dtilt at those percentages (I have done Dair to Dsmash at the percent). Think about all the characters who have spike bounces and use them for ridiculous combos. When I say anything about this type of stuff, I always get told "well, Uair is too powerful and it would be broken." It's why her Uthrow was nerfed so she could only combo fast fallers.

I have said to a few people that would trade less knockback on Uair for a spike bounce and Uthrow combo since I only hit Uairs when I land dins. It is an aerial with limited range but immense power.

Now that I mentioned throws, her grab game is garbage still, but at least Bthrow can kill.

And no, dthrow doesn't combo into LK's. It only does that if they DI wrong.

-----

Zelda has always been defensive, and it boils down to her not have the speed to follow up with anything. And if she did, they would complain she is broken because she has so many kill moves.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
1st off i want to say i did use zelda in tourneys in 2008 and i got top 10 and top 7 a lot. in fact i got top ether a top 10 or top 7 (forgot which) in a NY weekly the one time i went.

Now about the last two posts. i agree she is to defensive for this game and it can cause problems so since we 3 seem to be the whole zelda boards we should go and ask for/demand certain changes to make her better. we should talk about what she needs changed and then go and get it.

Also on a side note i feel her up-B can be used nicely as a mind game which can help u approach.

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
Anyhow, continuing with my thoughts. I will concur that an autocancelled N-air is a good approach, but it's still fairly limited and easy to see coming, plus Zelda is coming in at a bad angle with fairly small hitboxes.

The biggest problem with Zelda, as I think you can all see, is her stupid amount of linearity. That said, I've been thinking for a long time and here are what I think her weakest aspects are:

D-air. Easy fix - make it into a legitimate spike. It's already good game if it lands in the air, make it actually do something if it lands on the ground. It's hard enough to sweetspot, why not reward people for doing it AND give Zelda a legitimate approach at the same time?

[Gonna edit this. For now, can people please come to discuss somewhere? Ideally hit me up on AIM, or I'll be floating in #Zelda+ to discuss things. I want good suggestions. :<]

More suggestions that I've run by people:

Nayru's Love could be made into an approach into an interesting way, which is something people I've talked to want to try out: having IASA into jump on a successful reflect or hit during invulnerability (with that IASA ending frame 20, the 3rd hitbox), both in midair and on the ground. Perhaps extending it to UpB would work too. This would do two things: first, it would make the move useful as a way to get past projectiles, given that it reflects on frame four. Second, it allow her to use it as a way to get out of horizontal combos - she gets 6 frames of invulnerability, and if she can react fast enough she can IASA those into a counterattack that is more punishing than just the shards. However, if she waits too long she just gets Nayru's Love as a sucessful punish.

I'd like to make (the instant detonation mode) Din's Fire actually a close-range attack, a la Wisp Side-B. Slightly shrinking the hitbox, setting damage to 9% - 12% or so and having it detonate frame 14 - 16 or so on instant detonation, with decent shieldstun and knockback (sends at 45* or so) would give her a real approach. It would also give her a way, with better vertical reach than lightning kick, to end a combo if it comes down to that.

Bandit

Smash Lord
I hate to tell you both, but once 6.1 comes out then it's all over.

There will be no more character editing for awhile.

NAGACE, as far as us 3 being all Zelda boards, you are missing a lot more people but no one was posting till yesterday and now it is too late.

At least you showed up to start talking about strategies.

@Andarel - you are VERY unaware of the enlarged hit boxes for nair and underestimating their abilities

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
I know that they exist, and I've done some testing, but not that much. Been really busy.

I feel that she will probably need to be changed for the set after 6.1, but that will come when it comes. It's just a prediction, anyhow.

Knowing me, I'll probably go ahead and test the things when i get the time, anyways. Should be interesting side-projects. :|

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I hate to tell you both, but once 6.1 comes out then it's all over.

There will be no more character editing for awhile.

NAGACE, as far as us 3 being all Zelda boards, you are missing a lot more people but no one was posting till yesterday and now it is too late.

At least you showed up to start talking about strategies.

@Andarel - you are VERY unaware of the enlarged hit boxes for nair and underestimating their abilities

yea i know there are more i was directed to the zelda boards yesterday and saw your post on how more people are talking about zelda plus there which is a good thing. Now what i want to say is that if u feel changes need to be made u need to ask/demand them or the wont happen. i will be more then happy to back u up on these changes as well since i agree she needs some changes like a d-air that does something to grounded opponents. I want and asked for a faster grab before and all i got were people telling me she does not need it but if we work together we might get some of the changes she needs done.

The problem with zelda is that she has always had such a small amount of representation that there were not nearly as many people trying to get her what she needs unlike CF or Ganondorf or have a huge fallowing b/c of melee. do to this we need to get whoever we can to help ask for the changes we need for zelda to be a viable legit character. if u are up for this i am willing to talk more maybe on the zelda xat thing (i think its called that) if u direct me to it or we can just talk about it here. Zedla needs change and here is are chance to get that change made we eed to do it before the next version comes out

Veril

Frame Savant
You must be joking.

Zelda got an enormous amount of attention. ENORMOUS. Far more than most.

These threads aren't for requesting changes. Also, the criteria used to justify a change requires a s*** ton more than just saying "Zelda needs x"

If you are serious about requesting Zelda changes: considering they will not meet my criteria for what necessitates a change...
1. Know the exact numerical change you want.
2. Have all the requisite data to support why this change is needed. Current and modified values. Whatever I would have to look up.
3. Have some video evidence to support your statement.
4. Argue your point clearly, using ONLY evidence that is supported objectively.
5. There must be an overwhelming imperative behind why this change is needed. Not simply making Zelda better just cause.

Even with all that, don't post it here. PM me. If you really do have all of these things, even if I don't make the change (which again, is highly unlikely unless you find some crippling weakness that makes her non-viable...) it will show me that you are really aware of what you're talking about. Assume that my standards are extremely high for quality and completeness of data and that I will be very upset by anything sub-par clogging my inbox.

And... lol at "demanding" change being an effective strategy. Just... don't do that, please.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
1:so u are saying anyone who can't record video has no right to ask fo change? good call on that one.
2: also i said ask/demand which is not the same as just saying demand it means be assertive.
3rd: what exactly do u mean by numerical change do u mean i need to know what i would change the kgb and angle and stuff like that b/c that counts out all people who are not knowledgeable on the technical end of things.
4th: how would we have the data of what needs to be changed without a change list being made?
5: if zelda is a low tier at best character like bandit thinks isnt that enough reason to ask/get a change since that means she is below balanced.

U say zelda got a lot of attention but by whom? how many zelda mains worked on her? i am not doubting u i just want some more information on who worked on her i mean u could tell me to work on sonic for a year but i know nothing about him so i would not be able to make him better.

i should note i have yet to be able to play good people in this version of Brawl+ but since others who seemed to of played with her seem to think she is lacking it is only right to try to get them to speak up about change which is needed and to question why certain things were not changed.

am i going to pm this to u as well i am going to post it here as well since i might not stay logged in that much so u can respond on this thread if u want

Veril

Frame Savant
"facepalm"

If other Zelda mains actually got the gist of my post... it was that if you don't have a complete understanding of exactly what you are asking for on every relevant level, you have no business doing so this late. Andarel has also brought up wanting to change Zelda. Andarel is actually working with the development team, and I know he's not some random person with no competitive experience at all wasting my god-d*** precious time, but the same applies to him.

If, however, someone like Andarel/Bandit/whoever actually do have all of what I requested when requesting a non-essential change, I welcome your input. Seriously.

@NAGACE

Dude. I don't even know where to start with responding to the above post. The fact that you PMed me exactly what I didn't want, wasting my time, and cross-posted here... well, you are either really really clueless or incredibly ballsy. Probably both. Do not PM me again, ever. I will not even see it. You no longer have the benefit of the doubt. I actually do need all of that limited space in my PM box for the purpose of coordinating this project. The fact that you essentially spammed me is unbelievable.

4th: how would we have the data of what needs to be changed without a change list being made?
This one line absolutely destroyed any tiny shred of credibility you still had.

Unless the problem actually results in Zelda being non-viable or having 95:5 matchups I would like everyone to attempt to chill and actually get better with her. My current focus is not on buffs, but on removing truly overpowered and centralizing tactics (see DDD) or looping autocombos (one such combo has been confirmed D: and is being dealt with).

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
^wow good job responding to nothing i wrote.

wtf is wrong with u? u said to pm u "Even with all that, don't post it here. PM me" look familiar? it should u wrote it.

next what is wrong with telling people they should voice there opinions?

good for andarel working with u guys but that should not mean other don't get to voice there opinions

i am getting tired of this not having a change list i have friends who don't have this yet and i would like to be able to tell them what changed in there characters.

u never responded to the point not everyone has the means to record things what about them? do they get no voice if they feel something needs to be changed.

Ah look here u go getting me to waist my precious time.

Bandit

Smash Lord
N.A.G.A.C.E.: Just shut up.

First - Don't talk about the change list. Tell your friends to play the characters and be amazed.
Second - Learn to be good with Zelda. I have been playing nothing but Zelda for almost 2 years. She didn't become competitive overnight.
Third - I worked directly with Cape for GSH2 & 6.0 Zelda. He's in my crew and I got to test a bunch of changes against high level talent.
Fourth - Just because she is "low tier" doesn't warrant changes. This is fanboy stuff that needs to stop. She is competitive and that is one of the aims of the project: to make all characters viable.
Fifth - She was competitve in vBrawl. (at least in teams)

I know Andarel would like stuff changed, and we can talk about that in a mature manner to get our stories straight. In the end, there isn't much we can do because she will always be a defensive character. She is far too slow to be offensive. Even with a good approach move (I believe Nair is), she will remain defensive because that's her strong suit.

Brawl+ doesn't mean all out offense. Samus is a very defensive character. Zelda is a defensive character. Ike is a defensive character. Most of the competitive scene plays defensively. It is the character of the game.

I was simply informed that 6.1 will most likely be the end of character tweaks. It will allow the metagame to grow and expose things that weren't found before. A stable game is right at our fingertips and demanding changes now is not the time.

If there are things you want to see changed, then you can tell me, and I will give you feedback and keep a list of things that make sense.

As far as a faster grab, it is not necessary. I land grabs all the time when I use it offensively. In fact, it is one of her offensive weapons. Players constantly get shield happy with her smashes which makes it easy to land a grab. Any time you land a Fsmash, you can land a grab. You just can't shield grab.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I don't see why Zelda would even need any change to dair. The only way to make that move any better than it is now is to simply enlarge Zelda's feet. It has bad range and is even beaten out by Ness' uair. And her air game isn't exactly the best either.

While I would love for Nayru's Love to become a better move, I see no reason for it right now. Although I do agree that she is a linear character. That much hasn't really changed from vbrawl. At least Faore's Wind isn't as punishable anymore, which is a bonus. And her jab is actually safe on shield(that and fsmash are her only attacks that are safe on shield iirc). If Zelda still winds up being a bad character, then maybe something can be discussed. But as she isn't contender for worst in the game, let's leave her be.

As far as a changelist is concerned, my local friends are all casual. They noticed stuff with characters they mained before I even did. As they didn't even understand what the old changelists were saying (Falcon Kick offensive flags changed from 0x004 to 0x0008), I don't see why the lack of one now became such a big deal.

Also, dtilt to lightning kick is pretty sexy.

Bandit

Smash Lord
I have no problem using Dair. It hits on frame 15-24 (in vBrawl) with good priority. That is 10 frames of hitbox protecting the underneath of her. I land sweetspots when I want and the flubs are basically footstools. There is no reason Zelda can't be out over the ledge being a pest to people.

I spend most of my time in the air using nairs and bairs. It's easy to get grounded again if an opponent tries to get in. Dtilt is total win.

-----

The videos from Hackfest 5.0 will soon be all up. I will post them once JCaesar finishes recording them all. Most of the tournament matches are already up on his youtube, but the MM's are still to be recorded.

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
Any changes made will definitely not be in 6.1 - that would get nowhere near the amount of testing I would like to see them have. When I am free I will see if I can code, with some help, the Din's Fire change and a slight momentum change, and record it (I have a capture card, even if it's not high-quality) for feedback. Giving dair a spike hitbox on grounded opponents should also be easy, though I would need a way to test it, with DI, to make sure it doesn't combo into lightning kick at certain high percents. Sigh.

NAGACE, Zelda's changelist is very straightforward, I can post a version without fine-tuned data for usmash and nair with no problem. In fact, when I get back home I'll toss you guys a layman's changelist with partial numerical data that should be 100% accurate. Just have to confirm the final hit of usmash.

Anyways, yeah. Zelda is competitive, though I would like to see a stylistic shift for her. That said, this is something that would need a lot of community input and I don't want to do anything until .pacs are out and have been thoroughly tested. Rushing into big changes is a terrible idea, with an official gold release so close.

Speaking of which, which of the new stages does Zelda like? I find that the new Luigi's Mansion is good, but that's probably because of my friends' playstyles...

Bandit

Smash Lord
The dins change... you can try, but making that any more useful in short range will make it more defensive. I already use it in this way as a mix-up.

Dair ground spike... It's not LK's that are the problem. It is Uair. Uair is, by far, her most powerful killing move. It kills heavies in the 80's (depending on stage and vertical position) and grows exponentially with damage. This is why Uthrow was changed so only fast fallers get hit by it. Otherwise, she'd have a kill combo from her Uthrow on most of the cast under 100.

Naryu's Love - It actually needs to be fixed. It doesn't always reflect solid objects (like ROB's gyro) because the hitbox change causes it to hit the gyro instead of reflecting it sometimes. I've had arrows go right through it. I've had grenades be blown up by it. Ryoko broke (in a bad way) this move and it has been that way ever since. (I sent this one to Veril to look at)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Fifth - She was competitve in vBrawl.
I agree with everything but this, unless you have a different definition of competitive than I do. vBrawl Zelda was not capable of placing in a major tournament (i.e. with high level of talent, not Hawaii) in anyone's hands.

Hopefully that's not the case anymore. Ideally, anyone dedicated and skilled enough with any character should be able to do well in tourney. Only time will tell though.

Bandit

Smash Lord
She had representation earlier by Mocha in the South. Mocha was placing top 5 down there. DM was already mentioned (yes Hawaii). Maybe Ryoko?? (Never saw a placing by him in vBrawl)

Other than that, she was never represented by players of high talent.

She was competitive in teams though. (See DM & PC Chris running undefeated at a tournament awhile back).

-----

I edited the comment to say "(at least in teams)"

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Ryoko doesn't really play competitively from what I remember. "I've lost my competitive drive!" I believe is the reasoning.

Amidst all these changes and everything, I really can't think of much change to implement to her at this point. Plus if I did have a change I'd like to suggest, I don't nearly have enough resources to bring it up to the "Veril" Standard (which is a totally fair standard, understandable).

In terms of placement in a tier if there was any for Brawl+, I'd be happy just to see Zelda in Mid which is kind of funny considering how much has changed about her.

My ideal maybe would be High-Mid! Oh to dream.

I hope whatever direction Zelda+ takes that it'll be a fair(bair) and just one.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Ryoko played at the BTL events, but has since fallen out of contact from the boards (since thanksgiving).

Rion, if you have any changes, discuss them here first so Andarel and I can help discuss them further. Andarel is a man behind the scenes type who could help with the techincal details, and I can give tourney level feedback (hopefully others show up and can too).

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Naryu's Love - It actually needs to be fixed. It doesn't always reflect solid objects (like ROB's gyro) because the hitbox change causes it to hit the gyro instead of reflecting it sometimes. I've had arrows go right through it. I've had grenades be blown up by it. Ryoko broke (in a bad way) this move and it has been that way ever since. (I sent this one to Veril to look at)

I would ask Magus about what he did to the flags of these hitboxes before blaming me about what was actually done to the hitboxes themselves.

Top Bottom