• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Matchup Thread // OUTDATED

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Alright, I think we've hit a good point to now at least... do something... about her...

... ****, there's nothing to do, short of going to tournaments. Maybe play around with FW? lol

MrEh

Smash Hero
Zelda wont be going anywhere unless someone discovers come game breaking gltich with her.

Since that probably won't happen anytime soon, the only way she'll rise in the tier list is if she gets some good representation.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Zelda wont be going anywhere unless someone discovers come game breaking gltich with her.

Since that probably won't happen anytime soon, the only way she'll rise in the tier list is if she gets some good representation.
Sad thing is the game breaking glitch will probably be banned if it's good enough to beat MK and co. lol

-Mars-

Smash Hero
People think I'm just being a jerk, but I'm just being a realist most of the time. Zelda just sucks, and I'll keep repeating it until this entire board agrees. ^^
Then you will repeat this until you die.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I agree.......Peach has a slight advantage......maybe a 6-4. That list that MrEh put up is ridiculous but whatever. Oh by the way Luigi actually beats Zelda.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Then you will repeat this until you die.
Nope. The boards mostly agree with me already. ^^

Hold on now, Peach is not that hard for Zelda. That is going a lil over board.
I agree.......Peach has a slight advantage......maybe a 6-4. That list that MrEh put up is ridiculous but whatever. Oh by the way Luigi actually beats Zelda.
Then talk to NinjaLink about it. He's the one who came up with the ratios for Luigi and Peach. Not me.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Peach is a nasty matchup for Zelda... but the right stage can do a lot to help... 6:4 seems right though, not 55:45 which is what we have right now.

But that list that MrEh posted is so incredibly pessimistic. I just can't agree with so many of those matchups.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Peach is a nasty matchup for Zelda... but the right stage can do a lot to help... 6:4 seems right though, not 55:45 which is what we have right now.
A right stage? Peach does better on nearly every stage. Quite honestly, Peach beats Zelda no matter where you go. The only exception may be Mansion, but that's banned in most places now.

But that list that MrEh posted is so incredibly pessimistic. I just can't agree with so many of those matchups.
Let's take a look again.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm a realist. A lot of the SBR wanted her to be at the top of E tier, but due to the voting system, she was placed in D. Can you really expect a low tier character to have good matchups? Seriously?

Zelda's in D tier for a reason. Her matchups suck. Getting beat by almost everything above her is pretty standard and applicable to nearly every character in the game.

And most of these matchups numbers were not thought up by me. A lot of the were thought up by DarkMusician and NinjaLink. NinjaLink actually looked over the chart and told me what ratios I should fix. If you think they don't know what they're talking about, then that's silly.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
See, I knew it. Everyone keeps saying that "Oh Peach isn't that bad" and some Peach mains think Zelda has the advantage.

No, it is absolutely HORRIBLE. I can almost never beat a Peach, and honestly this makes a lot of sense.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
A right stage? Peach does better on nearly every stage. Quite honestly, Peach beats Zelda no matter where you go. The only exception may be Mansion, but that's banned in most places now.
yes... peach does. Hence 60:40. 60:40 is still an advantage. Peach is hard, but 60:40 is hard. She's not a zelda counter, just a bad matchup.

Let's take a look again.
stop trolling. You're not so special that you should be an exception to trolling policies.

Zelda's in D tier for a reason. Her matchups suck. Getting beat by almost everything above her is pretty standard and applicable to nearly every character in the game.
but having almost as many bad matchups as good below her would NOT be par for the course.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Hence 60:40.
Peach is worse because she can camp Zelda, bait Zelda, and easily pressure her shield. Her jabs wreck Zelda, and so does her Fair.

stop trolling. You're not so special that you should be an exception to trolling policies.
You said you didn't agree with the chart, and I made a response explaining Zelda's matchups. That's not trolling, that's just justifying my post. If you think thats trolling, then report my post to Katafei. I've done nothing wrong, and I'm sure most people will agree.

but having almost as many bad matchups as good below her would NOT be par for the course.
It's character dependent, but the general trend remains. And Zelda does have more advantageous matchups below her the disadvantageous, so I don't see what the issue is. ^^

This is a setup for "Zelda needs to move down", you know.
Pretty much.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Peach is worse because she can camp Zelda, bait Zelda, and easily pressure her shield. Her jabs wreck Zelda, and so does her Fair.
peach doesn't camp particularly well, she can do it... but she's not the best at it. It's her fair. That ****ed spaced-fair. that's the hardest thing to deal with against peach. And she can use that spaced fair to bait us. But, other than that, I don't feel like pwach has a whole lot that wrecks Zelda. Now, that fair is awesome in the matchup, but is it 65:35 awesome? Well I don't know about that. I know it's no WORSE than that, but, by the same token, it's no BETTER than 60:40. I used to think peach was a 70:30 matchup ut eventually I got used to it and realized it wasn't quite so bad. I still never gave into the mentality Zelda had anything that could be misconstrued as an advantage, but I realized it wasn't as bad as I thought. it came down to realizing that you need to get around a few moves. Zelda's not the best t finding work-arounds, but she can do it well enough to mediate the damage of the matchup to being a very winnable one.

And, for the record, mansion isn't a good stage to fight peach on. Try a stage with less even terrain. It makes it easier to get around her vertically locked float.

You said you didn't agree with the chart, and I made a response explaining Zelda's matchups. That's not trolling, that's just justifying my post. If you think thats trolling, then report my post to Katafei. I've done nothing wrong, and I'm sure most people will agree..
I'm quite sure I knew what the chart said and didn't need it reposted.... I commented ON the chart.

It's character dependent, but the general trend remains. And Zelda does have more advantageous matchups below her the disadvantageous, so I don't see what the issue is. ^^
having 5 advantaged matchups and 3 disadvantaged matchups below you along with 3 nuetrals is barely better than going even with everything below you.

In shocking side notes:
I think luigi and toonie are worse for us than the chart lets on. Some of the others aren't as bad as the chart says, but those two should be worse.

MrEh

Smash Hero
peach doesn't camp particularly well, she can do it... but she's not the best at it.
She's not the best at camping, but Zelda is very susceptible to camping in general. Since she's slow, ground bound, and has no defense against projectiles..

Now, that fair is awesome in the matchup, but is it 65:35 awesome? Well I don't know about that.
It's not just that. Jabs wreck Zelda up close.

I'm quite sure I knew what the chart said and didn't need it reposted.... I commented ON the chart.
I didn't post the chart again for you. I posted the chart again because I didn't want to force people to scroll back a page to see it. We've posted posted enough that the chart is now a page behind. It's easier for me to explain the chart when it's in front of the reader's faces. Since my post was referencing the chart in question, I don't see anything wrong with me posting it again.

having 5 advantaged matchups and 3 disadvantaged matchups below you along with 3 nuetrals is barely better than going even with everything below you.
And that's why Zelda needs to drop. SamuraiPanda said that Zelda should be at the top of E tier, and I agree. If Zelda was at the top of E tier, she she would have twice as many advantageous matchups as disadvantageous ones. Seems more accurate. ^^

I think luigi and toonie are worse for us than the chart lets on. Some of the others aren't as bad as the chart says, but those two should be worse.
Luigi: Usmash
Link: Learn to shield

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
No, those match-ups are completely accurate. I don't understand why people think Luigi is so bad. His projectile doesn't wreck Zelda, he slides back whenever she hits his shield with stuff (meaning it's safer to attempt lightning kicks when he's on a platform), and even Zelda can scrap his recovery. She can actually ZONE this character. His advantages vs. Zelda's is worthy of a 50/50.

Toon Link being a 4/6 is enough. Honestly, if you really watch him, you can get past the spam.

You thought Peach was a 3/7 before, yet you got used to it and you think less of it. I have fought my fair share of Peach players, and I cannot beat any of them unless they make some serious mistakes. 35/65 looks perfect to me.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
No, those match-ups are completely accurate. I don't understand why people think Luigi is so bad. His projectile doesn't wreck Zelda, he slides back whenever she hits his shield with stuff (meaning it's safer to attempt lightning kicks when he's on a platform), and even Zelda can scrap his recovery. She can actually ZONE this character. His advantages vs. Zelda's is worthy of a 50/50.
perhaps, but that makes luigi's defensive game against us not quite as good. Once he goes agressive, we do not have a lot to stop the pressure.

Toon Link being a 4/6 is enough. Honestly, if you really watch him, you can get past the spam.
smart toonies don't just spam. They zone zone zone like it's their job. Sure we can get past it, but we'll take damage in the process. and Usmash kills us early if we make any punishable mistake.

Both toonie and wigi beat us very handily in the air.

You thought Peach was a 3/7 before, yet you got used to it and you think less of it. I have fought my fair share of Peach players, and I cannot beat any of them unless they make some serious mistakes. 35/65 looks perfect to me.

could be right. seems a touch overmuch, but I'll concede this one since zeldas need to learn that peach is NOT a good matchup for us anyway.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
It's mostly based on opinion, of course.

StH, between Usmash, Fsmash, and jab, I don't see why Luigi is so hard to get off of you. He strings stuff together, but usually Zelda has THREE answers to each part except for the true combos (shield/dodge, attack, nayru's). He doesn't limit her that well. Who cares if he can smack her around in the air? He shouldn't be keeping you in the air past two aerials, three at low damage.

I don't see why TL should be worse than a 4/6. He can zone and force Zelda to approach. That's why he's 4/6. Honestly, he gets punished just as hard, no, harder for his mistakes.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
how could tonnie be less harder than peach and he zones better than she can O.o?

other than Fair pressure, best camping tactic peach can do is freepull>reverse glide toss to zone out Zelda.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Arguing over numbers is a little silly, imo..... Hedgedawg, I would just drop it.

The summaries are what really count, and player skill & experience will trump ratios nearly every time, so fighting for a difference between 40:60 and 35:65 is pretty dumb. Unless you want to walk into a match thinking, "Hmm, I have a 40% chance of winning this assuming my opponent is equally as skilled as I am...."

Whatever happened to discussing Samus? Did I accidentally miss the end of that one? @.@ I don't have much to say on it, but I played a fairly good Samus on wifi recently to test it out.... not that wifi counts for much, I know.

- At first, zair was a huge headache, and it's definitely a legit problem. But once you know about when it's coming, it's not too hard to shield. Don't try to rush in all crazy if she whiffs right outside its range, because you'll just eat the one that comes after.

- She can't kill you until 150%+ for sure if you're careful. Being extremely cautious and watching out for dtilt, I lived until 200%+ once or twice.

- Reflecting full Charge Shots is sexy. And surprisingly easy to predict, although I did get hit with a few at point-blank range trying to be too aggressive.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
point blank charge blast are sexier than reflected ones lol
Secretly, they kind of are. (Reflected Aura Spheres beat both of them, though.) You don't even see the shot, you just see Zelda getting paralyzed for a moment, then flying off the top of the screen. @.@ Super DI ftw, lol.

I deserved it, though. Need to stop playing Zelda like she actually has aggressive options....

-Mars-

Smash Hero
how could tonnie be less harder than peach and he zones better than she can O.o?

other than Fair pressure, best camping tactic peach can do is freepull>reverse glide toss to zone out Zelda.
I was about to point this out. MrEh contradicts himself in the same post when he goes on and on about how well Peach camps Zelda and how susceptible she is to camping and then later on in the post he comments that Toonies camping isn't that "bad" if you learn to just shield. Toon Link's camp game is far better than Peach's........I thought this was common knowledge.

Toon Link is a far worse matchup for Zelda than Peach. I also don't think Pikachu has an advantage when we've already gone over this with the Pika boards and the Kirby matchup is most likely in our favor. You(MrEh) say learn to usmash against Luigi......when I could say the exact same thing about how we can do that to Kirby.

Also Ike is a little more difficult than 55-45..........probably a 6-4 if not worse.

I'm glad I came back and Sonic is still at the boards.......at least someone still has a little bit of sanity on these boards. I think it's pathetic that the rest of you are being so easily influenced by someone that doesn't even play your character. Even NinjaLink never uses Zelda outside of some mess around friendlies........so lets just stop this nonsense right now.

edit: also there is a bunch of trolling that seems to be going on here nowadays but since we have what seems to be softer moderaters now it seems to just be allowed so whatever.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I also don't think Pikachu has an advantage when we've already gone over this with the Pika boards
95% of Pikachu players don't have good Zelda experience..... a lot of them think/thought Din's was hard to get around before I started playing a number of them on a regular basis.

Also, after talking to several of them recently about this matchup, I can tell you straight up that a number of them have changed their opinion on it to Pika's favor. His metagame has advanced a fair amount.

Pikachu is far too fast for Zelda despite the fact that she outranges him. If you can predict what Pika's going to do, you can effectively shut down his approaches, but any mistake you make can be punished with pretty much anything from his moveset -- which strings together very nicely, I might add.

He also has an extremely easy time getting Zelda into the air, and have I mentioned yet that he edgeguards her like a beast?

Long-range, Zelda can outcamp the chu, but if he moves to a comfy mid-range game, your only options are to eat tjolts or avoid them in a way that sets you up for a number of things, usually grab or fair (both of which lead to aerial combos at low-mid percents).

It's a matchup that looks to be in Zelda's favor on paper, and you'll probably win the first few matches while the Pika player figures it out...... but trust me, after playing this matchup from both sides: once Pika figures out how Zelda works, it's definitely not in Zelda's favor.

I'm glad I came back and Sonic is still at the boards.......at least someone still has a little bit of sanity on these boards. I think it's pathetic that the rest of you are being so easily influenced by someone that doesn't even play your character. Even NinjaLink never uses Zelda outside of some mess around friendlies........so lets just stop this nonsense right now.

edit: also there is a bunch of trolling that seems to be going on here nowadays but since we have what seems to be softer moderaters now it seems to just be allowed so whatever.
Wut. With all due respect to Hedgedawg, he's a casual player with limited tournament experience, last time I checked. Most of what he says is either theorycrafting, based on casual play, or just plain wrong. Not saying he shouldn't post his opinion, but it's natural that tournament Zeldas who place well on a consistent basis will have their opinions listened to slightly more if there's a disagreement.

And don't go into Hawaii-bashing, please. They may not travel OOS often, but I've seen their vids, and there's absolutely no way you can say they don't have talent compared to other states.

As for the trolling: MrEh advertises himself as a troll, but he also posts very legit information in nearly all of his posts. Despite the fact that he doesn't play Zelda, he's seen what she can do, and he's pretty **** good at analyzing her as a character. Just because he doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't give you the right to question his. We're all allowed to post here.

EDIT: @MrEh: Btw, that chart design is amazing. I like. :)

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Peach is much faster and dangerous than Toon Link up close and she beats her in the air far easier, while still forcing an approach from Zelda. That's really the main thing.

I'm so tired of being criticized for the stupidest **** every single day.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
95% of Pikachu players don't have good Zelda experience..... a lot of them think/thought Din's was hard to get around before I started playing a number of them on a regular basis.

Also, after talking to several of them recently about this matchup, I can tell you straight up that a number of them have changed their opinion on it to Pika's favor. His metagame has advanced a fair amount.

Pikachu is far too fast for Zelda despite the fact that she outranges him. If you can predict what Pika's going to do, you can effectively shut down his approaches, but any mistake you make can be punished with pretty much anything from his moveset -- which strings together very nicely, I might add.

He also has an extremely easy time getting Zelda into the air, and have I mentioned yet that he edgeguards her like a beast?

Long-range, Zelda can outcamp the chu, but if he moves to a comfy mid-range game, your only options are to eat tjolts or avoid them in a way that sets you up for a number of things, usually grab or fair (both of which lead to aerial combos at low-mid percents).

It's a matchup that looks to be in Zelda's favor on paper, and you'll probably win the first few matches while the Pika player figures it out...... but trust me, after playing this matchup from both sides: once Pika figures out how Zelda works, it's definitely not in Zelda's favor.

Wut. With all due respect to Hedgedawg, he's a casual player with limited tournament experience, last time I checked. Most of what he says is either theorycrafting, based on casual play, or just plain wrong. Not saying he shouldn't post his opinion, but it's natural that tournament Zeldas who place well on a consistent basis will have their opinions listened to slightly more if there's a disagreement.

And don't go into Hawaii-bashing, please. They may not travel OOS often, but I've seen their vids, and there's absolutely no way you can say they don't have talent compared to other states.

As for the trolling: MrEh advertises himself as a troll, but he also posts very legit information in nearly all of his posts. Despite the fact that he doesn't play Zelda, he's seen what she can do, and he's pretty **** good at analyzing her as a character. Just because he doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't give you the right to question his. We're all allowed to post here.

EDIT: @MrEh: Btw, that chart design is amazing. I like. :)
I think it's even......not in Zelda's favor or anything; both of these characters have a fair amount of advantages on the other.

Mid-range tjolts really aren't threatening when you realize that Zelda can just dtilt them repeatedly. I agree that Pika is excellent at baiting.....but as long as you don't throw out random smashes against the Chu and only utilize moves with low cooldown time(which any competent player would do in this particular matchup). Usmash is still shutting down any aerial approaches from pika, she outranges him on the ground, and he's fairly light.

Granted, I agree with the majority of your post but if baiting Zelda so you can get inside is going to be the majority of your in game strategy......then how does that constitute a Pikachu advantage. Zelda still walls Pikachu pretty effectively.

I can say the same thing and state that if the Zelda player avoids the Pikachu players baits and understands the matchup.......then it's in her favor.

I have limited tournament experience at the moment as well. In fact what tournament Zelda's are you referring to? In that case Sonic would qualify as one of the few tournament Zelda's and his opinions should be given even more validity. NinjaLink is in no way a tournament Zelda..........so yeah.

I'm not Hawaii bashing.......but you can't say they compare to any of the major scenes out on the mainland. In fact in which of my posts did I Hawaii bash?

MrEh is a troll. He posts some useful information but most of the time his posts are either three words or he's deliberately trying to start an argument for no reason.......but that's beside the point. I have the right to question anything he says and I will if I choose to do so. We're all allowed to post here......and we're all allowed to question one anothers opinions.

Edit: at SoR........Toon Link is better at keeping Zelda away than Peach is and he is far more dangerous from long range and midrange..........that's the main thing.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
And wait, why is Ike as hard as ZSS or Fox or Wolf?

EDIT: Ok, long range and mid-range... Zelda loses to both of them for the most part. Peach is not going to stay at long range from you. Obviously you are not going to stay in long range unless you are an idiot. I don't see how in the hell long range has the same weight as close range, which is where Zelda is fighting both characters. They edgeguard Zelda equally hard. Peach does better against her in the air mainly because she has an easier time keeping her there than Toon Link. Fair follow-ups (rolling away, jab, whatever) are what hold Zelda back so hard in this match-up.

I don't really care what the exact numbers are, but I do believe Peach is harder than TL.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
And wait, why is Ike as hard as ZSS or Fox or Wolf?
He has a vast range advantage on her, his jab wrecks her OoS and in General, and his KO power is horrible for Zelda. Even his fsmash becomes somewhat viable in this matchup becuse of her recovery......and that's scary.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Range advantage: ZSS has this, and I think Wolf just might have it, too.

Jab: It's one of his most used tools, and it's probably the main reason why this is in his advantage, along with fair. However, hitting *any* of their shields with anything but Fsmash leaves you open to punishment.

KO power: He has more of this than the others.

Now, here's what he doesn't have:

Projectiles: Fox's stuff adds up. ZSS's opens her to pain, and for now, we'll count the Dsmash, which can always lead into a killing move or 20%+ on Zelda per hit, and it is safe on block. Wolf's lasers are terrible for Zelda. Ike has none of this.

Speed: They're all faster than Ike. Ike is faster than Zelda, but not by much - the other three are far faster and can use this to their advantage. This allows them to combine their projectiles and force approaches from Zelda far easier than Ike (who only forces an approach if he's winning).

Many fast options up close and in the air: Ike has jab, and then what's his next fastest attack? There's his grab, and then I'm going to guess it's Dsmash. He's got the range and power, sure, but they all have an easier time punishing Zelda because they're better at forcing Zelda to move a certain way or to screw up her spacing. Ike has aerials that wall out Zelda just fine - the rest have aerials that are usually going to beat hers just fine.

There's more, but the main thing is that these three control Zelda far more than Ike does. ZSS is definitely harder than Ike, and moving Ike down only merits moving her down.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Pika:
I agree. Pikas are one of the easier matchups for me. For zelda, that might as well be Even. Pika's still threatening and fast, so it's not our advantage, or, if it is, it's not more than 55:45, bbut the same goes for him. He reaslly can't do much more to us than we do to him. We thought we were a hard counter before his metagame advanced and now that it has, it should be conisdered fairly even. Zelda is one of the harder characters for him to combo, thereby not giving him quite the same advantage he enjoys on many characters. Even his dial-a-combos can be halted with reflexive use of nayrus.

Luigi/Kirby:
Everything we can do to luigi, we can do better to kirby. Don't understand why kirby's listed as a hrd counter and luigi as even. Every experience I've had says the exactl opposite: Kitby is one of Zelda's easiest matchups in the upper tiers, and luigi is one of her harder ones.

Peach/Toonie
My point. Toonie kills us earlier and is a hell of a lot better at zoning/camping. He's better than peach at what is supposedly giving peach this huge advantage. Matchup numbers being exact isn't a huge deal. but this looks like an obvious oversight to me.

Me/Ninjalink
Yeah. I'm a dedicated Zelda main and he is not..... but he's also much better than me. Listen to him :chuckle: I'll continue to contribute, but don't think I'm right just because I agree with you. KayLo! had me pegged. I'm semi-casual. I have 3 jobs, a boyfriend and I'm a full time student. Plus I'm in Ohio... try fining time to attend many tourneys with those restrictions.

Ike:
One of the fiew characters to consistently safely outrange her, able to kill her at ridiculously low damages. better air and ground games than us. We are unable to really punish his recovery. If it weren't for Dsmash, this would be a much worse matchup for us. Just fight an Ike that knows how to zone you like a ***** with fair... you'll see the pain. It's not awful though. No worse than 60:40, no better than 55:45

Samus
Believe it or not.... this is our current matchup discussion.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Mainly responding to the vs. Pikachu stuff, so if you're not interested in that, feel free to skip this post. Just a heads up.

Mid-range tjolts really aren't threatening when you realize that Zelda can just dtilt them repeatedly.
If you dtilt a tjolt, you're going to eat a ff fair > utilt/grab combo. That is a fact. The best option is to just shield it, wait out the fair, then shieldgrab; however, good Pikas will land the fair behind you unless they eff up their spacing, at which point you need to decide on your best OOS option.

Alternately, they'll predict your shield, land, and grab you since Zelda's grab is wtfslow.

I agree that Pika is excellent at baiting.....but as long as you don't throw out random smashes against the Chu and only utilize moves with low cooldown time(which any competent player would do in this particular matchup). Usmash is still shutting down any aerial approaches from pika, she outranges him on the ground, and he's fairly light.
Sadly, even Zelda's lowest cooldown moves still leave more than enough time for Pika to dash-cancel into a grab or usmash, or he can dtilt OOS and more often than not set you up for a tech chase unless you jump and put yourself above him, which is never a good thing.

I will give you that usmash cuts off any of his aerial approaches, but Pika can SDI down on the first hit of usmash, which puts him right next to her -- and he's short, so if he crouches, the last hits of usmash won't touch him. Sometimes they don't even hit if he's standing, depending on his distance. At this point he'll probably just dtilt because it's the quickest thing out of a crouch, but he can also grab, dsmash, or whatever.

Inb4"butwhocanSDIusmash???" because plenty of the Pikas I play can do it consistently after a few matches. With his fall speed and weight, it's not anywhere near impossible.

Granted, I agree with the majority of your post but if baiting Zelda so you can get inside is going to be the majority of your in game strategy......then how does that constitute a Pikachu advantage. Zelda still walls Pikachu pretty effectively.
She does. In particular, it's hard to land a KO on Zelda if she's very careful. However, while one mistake from Pikachu means one hit (because Zelda has very few followups), one mistake from Zelda means she'll get combo'd or juggled or tossed off-stage with bthrow, at which point he can edgeguard her.

Pika can outcamp Zelda except for long range.
Pika can edgeguard Zelda easily.
Pika has a better combo game.
Pika can punish Zelda more effectively than she can punish him.
Pika is faster.
Pika can get her in the air above him pretty easily and keep her there.
Pika can fairly easily SDI out of usmash/fsmash with practice.
Pika is cuter.

Zelda has an easier time killing and does have a crazy good defensive game, but it's not enough, trust me. I've played this matchup a bajillion times with many different people. Anytime I win, either a) the Pika makes a ton of mistakes, b) I'm predicting things like a god, or c) I'm noticeably more skilled than my opponent. Or they just dunno the matchup.

In fact in which of my posts did I Hawaii bash?
You've done so in other threads, not this one.

As for your opinion of MrEh, I really don't care enough to respond to that mess. NEXT!

Pika:

He reaslly can't do much more to us than we do to him.
False, but I went over the list a bit above, so I won't go through it again. Pika can do a lot to Zelda.... she has an answer to almost everything he can do, but you would have to be psychic to pull that kind of prediction off. Eventually, your mistakes will turn the tide in his favor if he takes advantage of them.

Oh, yeah, he can also camp.

Zelda is one of the harder characters for him to combo, thereby not giving him quite the same advantage he enjoys on many characters. Even his dial-a-combos can be halted with reflexive use of nayrus.
Wut. Zelda isn't hard to combo, lol, her light weight and floatiness just mean that combos stop working at an earlier percentage.

Fthrow > usmash still works right off the bat.

FF fair combos still work.... he gets a frame advantage on the fair, so unless you SDI out (I have yet to see anyone but one fellow Pika do this consistently..... with Samus), the utilt/grab/dsmash afterwards is guaranteed.

Utilt > thunder still works, because you'll be in hitstun for too long to Naryu's.

Bthrow > edgeguard is ****. ;)

I would also like to add: Pika may be light, but he has the third best (I'm 90% sure about the ranking) momentum-canceling move in the game with Skull Bash. With good DI, Pikachu will not die as early as you think, and his recovery is godly.

I have 3 jobs, a boyfriend and I'm a full time student.
Fellow Smasher with a life! I approve. :)

MrEh

Smash Hero
I'll just throw in general tidbits.

-Pika camps Zelda. Zelda cannot camp back simply because Din's is a terrible projectile. Her reflector is useless against nearly any spammable projectile, and thunderjolts are no exception. This is pretty standard, since Naryu's is terrible for reflecting anything but those random Charge Shots or Aura Spheres. (since those aren't spammable projectiles to being with)

-Why is getting camped bad? Simple. Zelda has a poor approach, and when she's camped, she has to approach. Approaching from the air with Zelda is suicide against nearly any character, and it's difficult to even hit someone as small as Pikachu from tg of ithe air with kicks. If you approach from the air, all Pikachu has to do is shield and punish. In fact, every character can do this. That's how poor Zelda's aerial approach is. She has no aerial with significant range and all of her aerials put her in a position to be punished if she uses them as an approach.

-Zelda fares a little better when approaching from the ground, but it's still terrible for her. What can she do? Running Usmash? Dash attack? Both of those are easily punished OoS, much like all of Zelda's moveset that isn't her Fsmash. Her grabs are also a terrible approach, since they're so slow. They're the slowest non-tether grabs in the game, and the range that they have doesn't make up for their terrible speed. We've actually been able to spot dodge Zelda's grabs just on reaction, since that's how slow they are. Provided your character has a good spot dodge, like Pika, this isn't difficult once you get the hang of it.

-Oh, and if Zelda gets knocked into the air, she's at the mercy of Pika by that point. Zelda has no defense against an aerial barrage, since her aerials are pretty terrible at intercepting attacks. Especially since she has that huge blind spot below her. This is a universal disadvantage that every character can take advantage of, not just Pika. However, the Pika's speed and quick attacks makes it easy for him to capitalize on an airborne Zelda.

-Pikachu may not have the strongest attacks in the game, but Zelda is light. That makes it easy for Pika to kill her. Especially since he can rack up damage safely and easily against her. Plus, Zelda is gimptastic. Her recovery is terrible, and Pika is quick enough to exploit that.

-In short, Pika smacks Zelda around in the air. On the ground, he camps her and punishes her too well. He also edgeguards and gimps her decently. (but who doesn't? lol)

EDIT: @MrEh: Btw, that chart design is amazing. I like.
Thanks. I'm still working on it. ^^

Top Bottom