• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda is now bottom tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
The new tier list came out and people want to talk about Zelda's position on the tier list. There is no reason to lock a thread that has some relevance.

If Zelda was high tier and the thread title was "Zelda is high tier" nobody would be telling Kataefi to lock the thread lol.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
I say lock it cause there is no reason for other players from other character boards tell us what we already know. I knew this is what was gonna happen. It was only a matter of time before it did happen.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
My only question is why is this thread still not locked?
I expected a lot of people would come and be a bit surprised... which turned out to be true. This thread is there to attract all the spam that would have otherwise made it into other threads. It's also for people to argue/support the tier drop.

At the rate it's going it will be locked, but I will leave this open a little longer to see if anyone else (i.e. outside mains) want to say something on the matter or if any good discussion comes from it.

From my post onwards I want no more spam. Just thoughts or discussion related to the OP and thread title.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I say lock it cause there is no reason for other players from other character boards tell us what we already know. I knew this is what was gonna happen. It was only a matter of time before it did happen.
You act like this isn't an open public forum. People who (smartly) have never touched your character have just as much input on the character's placement than people who commit themselves to such an obviously horrible character. Locking anything that isnt a circle jerk will just cause your character to stifle even moreso.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
We're not in pre-school, I don't think anyone bragged lol

I actually thought she was pretty beast when I picked her up I was like WOW dtiltz, usmaaaAsh, DINZ! But then of course you streamline your gameplay to the metagame and suddenly realise you get outcamped 9 times out of 10 and everything gets that much harder. It's a slow process but it happens :)

I think a good discussion to start is whether Brawl Zelda is worse off than her Melee counterpart, because this is what the tier list is now suggesting.

In Melee she had Fair and Bair thus she had a much better air game which helped her A LOT. Approaching was also a less big deal than it was in Brawl, making one of her weaknesses smaller, not to mention she had a better air game that also helped her. She was pretty bad at comboing, but she had high kill power and she was one of the hardest ones to combo. She was still very vulnerable to camping due to her bad mobility, but at least she had wavedashing, even though her wavedash was not so good.

Her smashes are a bit worse. Her Usmash is no way as good as Brawl, Her Fsmash seems to be a littler weaker in Brawl (nor sure), but it was pretty easy to DI out of in Melee and her Dsmash was weaker.

Her Dtilt is worse in Melee as it is slower and doesn't 'stun' as much as in Brawl. Her Ftilt was better in Melee, because she could at least combo with it and kill at higher percentages. Utilt is a bit weaker than in Brawl, but you could start some combos. Her Dash Attack is pretty much the same I think, not sure about this. Her Jab had more range in Melee and it may also be faster, I don't know about that. Jab just feels better in Melee ;p.

Her air game is a lot better in Melee. Fair and Bair are lovely! You could survive on those two alone. Uair is weaker, but has more range. I think Dair has a bigger sourspot but smaller sweetspot, not sure about this. Nair is somewhat worse, as it has less range and easy to DI out of.

Nayru's Love's last hitbox doesn't connect as often as in Brawl (which is bad, because the opponents won't get hit away and can punish Zelda), but Nayru's Love seems to have more range. Dins Fire is even slower and has a smaller hitbox. It's even worse than in Brawl. Farore's Wind covers more distance in Melee but it doesn't have that last hitbox as in Brawl.

I'm not sure which one is better, especially because I know very little about Melee and Melee Zelda, but this is what I've observed, and I think that Melee Zelda is a bit better.

:053:

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Before this gets out of hand I'll just requote this. Applies to everyone.
I'm not seeing how anything changed. I was bringing up the point that discussing things that people might find unpleasant is as much if not moreso a part of a character's development as sitting around being self-aggrandizing. Seeing as how I brought up the same point months ago and since then the character's only continued on a downward spiral, it might be pragmatic to actually address the not so stellar points of the character and understand that if the goal of this board is to actually drudge what is honestly considered by a lot of experienced players the single worst character in the game back upward, people are going to have to start pinpointing glaring flaws and finding discussi\ng ways around it. Seeing as how the only topic to do this in recent weeks in a serious manner is deus's and the last post was 2 weeks ago, I'm not just blowing hot air here. Applying arbitrary number values to matchups instead of treating your character as she is, a low tier character with a great need of in-depth analysis will just cause her to decline moreso, as unlikely as it may seem.

An outsider saying your main is terrible is not spam considering the topic of the OP was that the character is terrible. It's about as on-topic as it gets.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
^ Its when people come in, say our characte is terrible, tell is why shes terrible as if we already dont know, and then leave without further dicussion is when Id say its spam.

Also, this has really motivated me. Im really really going to make an attempt to place in tournies with Zelda.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
@Ryko: I think your most recent post put what you intended to say much more concisely than your previous one. Thankyou

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ryko this is how it goes on this board. If everyone isn't posting smilies and emoticons and giving people e-hugs then the thread gets locked.......it's actually rather childish.

You called this though a while back with Ike being better than Zelda lol gotta give you that one.

But why so bitter against Zelda? Is it cuz Ryoko used to **** you back in the day lol.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I'm bitter against brawl in general, zelda is just my most vocal "this character is booty" subject aside from Ike. Ryoko would probably still wreck me, so would NL.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Ryko this is how it goes on this board. If everyone isn't posting smilies and emoticons and giving people e-hugs then the thread gets locked.......it's actually rather childish.
This isn't true at all - I've always allowed heated discussion and arguments. If you'd like Mars we can go through some of the locked threads on the xat and you can point out to me where and when they all started to derail.

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
To be honest, I don't think Zelda should be all the way down to bottom tier. I imagine her, at best, being above Samus, Jigglypuff, and Falcon, but much higher would be a stretch. The biggest reason for the big drop is because of no representation, really, on top of the weaknesses in Zelda's game.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
This isn't true at all - I've always allowed heated discussion and arguments. If you'd like Mars we can go through some of the locked threads on the xat and you can point out to me where and when they all started to derail.
I apologize that post sounded like it was directed towards you.

It's more directed towards people who ask for a thread to be locked.....I don't know if they realize that they have the option of not opening the thread or what.

Threads die on their own, nobody is going to keep beating a dead horse forever but I feel like sometimes we'll get into a discussion and certain people won't even be involved in the talk and they'll be like "Kataefi plz lock this az soon az possible" and then the thread gets derailed by these people, not so much the people who are actually talking about the topic of the thread.

My 2 cents.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Yeah I understand - thought you were having a bit of a go at me then though lol

This thread will stay open regardless just like all the other tier discussion threads that have occurred here

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
You know, even if Zelda got more representation somehow and we started placing better with her, how much higher do you think she'd go up on the next tier list?

Because I doubt she'd go much higher at all. Above Samus, Jiggz, and Falcon like Mikey said sounds about right.
But even then it won't change how people view her by much. She'll always be considered one of the worst characters in the game no matter what. Unless we discover something gamebreaking or figure out a way to **** consistently her postion won't change by much lol

We may not be able to make her tier list position look good in the communities eyes, but we can definitely make it look better, as in not in the bottom 3 (lol)

Let's make a realistic goal and shoot for getting her out of the bottom 5 haha

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
My goal has nothing to do with moving her out of bottom three. My goals is to make 3 or more players want to commit suicide because I beat them so badly with a G tier character. ^_^

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
You know, even if Zelda got more representation somehow and we started placing better with her, how much higher do you think she'd go up on the next tier list?

Because I doubt she'd go much higher at all. Above Samus, Jiggz, and Falcon like Mikey said sounds about right.
But even then it won't change how people view her by much. She'll always be considered one of the worst characters in the game no matter what. Unless we discover something gamebreaking or figure out a way to **** consistently her postion won't change by much lol

We may not be able to make her tier list position look good in the communities eyes, but we can definitely make it look better, as in not in the bottom 3 (lol)

Let's make a realistic goal and shoot for getting her out of the bottom 5 haha

Your character managed to avoid this status for 3 tier lists while there hasnt been a single tier list where my old main hasn't declined while everyone and their mother talks about how bad they are. You act like zelda being bottom 3 was always the status quo.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Kinda expected it, I always thought her Melee counterpart was better. Kicks got nerfed pretty hard, so approaching is... ehhhhh and it's harder to punish people who hit your shield.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I think would should experiment with approaching and dealing with camping more.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I think would should experiment with approaching and dealing with camping more.
Who's would? A friend of yours? Quite a strange name if so, I must say. :p

Seriously though, haven't we been trying to do this ever since we realised that Din's camping = fail? If only Nair had more range...

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Your character managed to avoid this status for 3 tier lists while there hasnt been a single tier list where my old main hasn't declined while everyone and their mother talks about how bad they are. You act like zelda being bottom 3 was always the status quo.
Sorry? lol

Guess I didn't word it as well as I should have.

Everyone knows that Zelda was over-hyped at the start. As the meta-game evolved Zelda's weaknesses became more obvious.

With the way the current meta-game is progressing/has progressed, Zelda won't be able and hasn't been able to accomplish things as easy as other characters, meaning she'll be staying in her general spot on the tier list.

I wasn't trying to imply that she was always bottom 3 material or whatever. I was simply looking at where she is now and stating that she might be stuck in that general area unless something drastic happens, and suggesting a realistic goal to work towards, for people that care about tier lists anyways lol

.__.

My goal has nothing to do with moving her out of bottom three. My goals is to make 3 or more players want to commit suicide because I beat them so badly with a G tier character. ^_^
lol I like this goal :D

Personally, I think this might do zelda some good. If you think about it, the tier list gets attention on really only two areas of focus: the top and the bottom. Top has been getting more and more solidified. MK 1st, Snake 2nd. Falco right up there, but not 3rd, etc.

The bottom has seen just as much attention. I am not sure why, I guess we all are just fasinated by dead last in the smash community. But, Ganon and Captain Falcon have each had there turn at dead last and have gotten some pretty good attention because of it. Some have even started maining them since they aren't high tier.

Well, Ganon and Link are old news, many agree to say they are bad. Zelda on the other hand has the largest drop and now sits at 3rd last. This already has given plenty of attention to her already. I bet many will now start maining/picking her because she isn't 'high/mid' tier.

Not exactly the best reasons to get attention, but hey... whatever works, right?

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Characters get attention not so much by placement but typically by how many fanboys the character tends to attract. Link, Ike, and Falcon are pretty much the triforce of Fanboyism.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master

In Melee she had Fair and Bair thus she had a much better air game which helped her A LOT. Approaching was also a less big deal than it was in Brawl, making one of her weaknesses smaller, not to mention she had a better air game that also helped her. She was pretty bad at comboing, but she had high kill power and she was one of the hardest ones to combo. She was still very vulnerable to camping due to her bad mobility, but at least she had wavedashing, even though her wavedash was not so good.

Her smashes are a bit worse. Her Usmash is no way as good as Brawl, Her Fsmash seems to be a littler weaker in Brawl (nor sure), but it was pretty easy to DI out of in Melee and her Dsmash was weaker.

Her Dtilt is worse in Melee as it is slower and doesn't 'stun' as much as in Brawl. Her Ftilt was better in Melee, because she could at least combo with it and kill at higher percentages. Utilt is a bit weaker than in Brawl, but you could start some combos. Her Dash Attack is pretty much the same I think, not sure about this. Her Jab had more range in Melee and it may also be faster, I don't know about that. Jab just feels better in Melee ;p.

Her air game is a lot better in Melee. Fair and Bair are lovely! You could survive on those two alone. Uair is weaker, but has more range. I think Dair has a bigger sourspot but smaller sweetspot, not sure about this. Nair is somewhat worse, as it has less range and easy to DI out of.

Nayru's Love's last hitbox doesn't connect as often as in Brawl (which is bad, because the opponents won't get hit away and can punish Zelda), but Nayru's Love seems to have more range. Dins Fire is even slower and has a smaller hitbox. It's even worse than in Brawl. Farore's Wind covers more distance in Melee but it doesn't have that last hitbox as in Brawl.

I'm not sure which one is better, especially because I know very little about Melee and Melee Zelda, but this is what I've observed, and I think that Melee Zelda is a bit better.

:053:
Just adding to this because I played Zelda in Melee.

Zelda had the worst wavedash in the game (tied for worst distance and 2nd slowest). It didn't help her mobility much (you're better off dashdancing or walking in most situations) but was useful occasionally for spacing. Wavelanding is a better spacing tool. In any case, Melee's spacing tools helped her land kicks more often.

Her grab was about as bad, but her throws were a lot better. Uthrow was a chainthrow on fast fallers. She was one of the characters that didn't benefit AT ALL from JC grab, because her dash grab was the same speed but with much more range. Speaking of throws, her throws punished anyone with poor DI.

Dsmash, while it seemed to be less "powerful" also benefited her more in Melee because of crouch cancelling. It came out on frame 3, making it faster than her jab. It also sent opponents at a 45 degree angle down. Against many characters in specific situations, crouch cancel dsmash was useful. If someone didn't sweetspot the edge or tech correctly, a crouch cancelled dsmash could gimp at ridiculously low %'s.

Dair had no "lightning kick" and was probably the worst dair in the game. You can up b stall on the ledge.

And, her down b was infinitely better. Having trouble with your opponent? Instant top tier!

Characters get attention not so much by placement but typically by how many fanboys the character tends to attract. Link, Ike, and Falcon are pretty much the triforce of Fanboyism.
What about SONIC?? He's a huge fanboy character.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Just curious, if Zelda is so low in this tier list why is she so high on the Japanese one?

Bandit

Smash Lord
LOL @ 24 people who have basically never posted here before popping in because the words "Tier List" were put in a title.

-----

To answer all the people who keep asking questions about the tier list or asking for more representation or why do the Japanese have her higher or anything that was asked by people in this thread...

Zelda is our character. She was our character before this tier list, before the last tier list, and the tier list before that. If you doubt her abilities, then play us, but nothing you say will ever change our opinions of her.

The tier list is just something for the useless backroom to waste their time on.

And if you want to pick her up, good luck to you, but we know you'll just drop her shortly after.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Lol why are you getting so defensive about a video game character?

Some of us who don't know much about Zelda just had some questions, it's seriously not a big deal...

If we're not supposed to talk about Zelda and the new tier list, what exactly are we supposed to talk about in this thread?, considering it is called "Zelda is now bottom tier".

Just because you mained Zelda before the tier list doesn't mean no one else is allowed on her boards or to want to main her now, it's just a video game for goodness sake it shouldn't be an issue so important in your life that you get defensive about it...

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Also with zelda having the biggest ever drop I anticipated a lot of activity in this thread. It's no surprise other mains or those interested in her and/or the tier list in general would want to come and post here.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
For an under-repped and under-preforming character, the drop, and the resulting attention was one of the best things that could happen to her.

I just don't understand why all these Zelda mains are getting all defensive, as if only they have a right to talk about their character.

Bandit

Smash Lord
For an under-repped and under-preforming character, the drop, and the resulting attention was one of the best things that could happen to her.

I just don't understand why all these Zelda mains are getting all defensive, as if only they have a right to talk about their character.
If you came around for more than 5 seconds, you'd see that we are always being slandered against by other mains. We're used to it, but we don't just take it either.

You can talk about her all you want, but trying to tell us how to move her up the tier list or get her more & better rep is an insult. Either pick her up and do it yourself or move on. We'll gladly accept more players helping out her metagame, but having other mains coming in telling us how we can be better is, again, insulting.

-----

If I come off defensive, it's also because I think tier lists are extremely overblown and are magnets for people who want to ***** and complain about things. It's a shame it took this type of drop in the tier list for Zelda to actually get attention, and when she does, everyone else will find out what we already know about her.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
If I come off defensive, it's also because I think tier lists are extremely overblown and are magnets for people who want to ***** and complain about things.
Thiiiiss!
But, I see arguing and *****ing almost everywhere on this site. It's pretty bad.
Sometimes I do it just for fun because it's basically the norm.
lawl

I still think Tier lists are interesting though lol

-Mars-

Smash Hero
For the people who say they're going to start using Zelda in singles........you realize you have to get top 8 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom