• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda is now bottom tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Hmm, yes. It all makes sense now. It's their fault that Zelda is bottom tier!

All this time, I've been pointing my finger at the poor tournament results. Silly me.
That would be an indicator if people can't even come together to make a guide of course the tourney results will be lack luster.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Okay this thread is NOW starting to get out of control. Grey, Eh, AL, Bandit no more exhanging silly remarks beyond this point, if one you persists then I'll simply lock the thread and give out an infraction as necessary :) I'm sure you all understand.

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
At first I was all like "Oh Noez!" but then after I kick so many peoples butts on basic brawl, they got owned by a bottom tier!

Ruler

Smash Apprentice
Lol Triforce tier.

Zelda deserves more than .... G-tier.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I don't think Zelda is 3rd worst character in the game.

Well.

In my opinion anyway.

Not that it matters. I use Zelda/Sheik which is better than either of them going solo in my opinion. This will let me say "lol I beat you while using the 3rd worst character in the game lolololol ahahahahaha".

Yes but her match ups are so poor, I think that's the main reason why she's at the G-tier. Or is it cause she has no true air game?

Yes but her match ups are so poor, I think that's the main reason why she's at the G-tier. Or is it cause she has no true air game?
That and MANY other reasons, theres a thread somewhere stating her flaws in this board, just give it a once over to learn everything you need to know.

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
Zelda is a bad character, but not G-tier bad. More like E-tier in my opinion.

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
Zelda is a bad character, but not G-tier bad. More like E-tier in my opinion.
I don't think that high... I'm not an expert on this but I would place her at about 32...or 31... that 35 doesn't seem right to me.

MrEh

Smash Hero
No, Zelda is not E tier material. For a character who even struggles fighting characters in F tier, Zelda can't possibly rise that much. (Baring some sort of outragous tournament placings.)

I used to say that Zelda should belong on the upper part of E tier before this list came out, but that MK took a dump on everyone and bumped the entire cast down an entire tier. However, I still think Zelda should be around the same area. (the new G tier)

No their not, kill yourself.
Rage more.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
We all know Zelda's bad..

But she's not THIS bad. I mean, 3rd worst? 0_o 5th-6th worst is more like it.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Again, considering her placings...she might as well be.

What's the difference between G tiers to E tiers? Nothing really. Neither are viable, so they difference is fairly moot.

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
I mean I don't main the princess myself but she is one of my favorite and easiest to win as. Or maybe the people that I play against aren't all that good...

Either way, she needs more representation to get back to E - F tier.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Again, considering her placings...she might as well be.

What's the difference between G tiers to E tiers? Nothing really. Neither are viable, so they difference is fairly moot.
The difference is pride :p

Noticing that Zelda dropped has encouraged me to play her again. Zelda was my original main before I moved to ZSS.

I played her nearly exclusively at a smashfest last weekend and surprised a number of people. She should really be bumped up ahead of Falcon IMO.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I played her nearly exclusively at a smashfest last weekend and surprised a number of people.
Just wait til they get used to the matchup. -_-

Not judging you or your skill, but Zelda is a character that absolutely *****........ when the other person doesn't know what she can do. Once they adapt, though, her effectiveness takes a HUGE nosedive -- more so than most other characters, imo. She's got some good stuff, but it's all fairly easy for most of the cast to get around.

But you should still use her, because she's awesome. =D

-Mars-

Smash Hero
No, Zelda is not E tier material. For a character who even struggles fighting characters in F tier, Zelda can't possibly rise that much. (Baring some sort of outragous tournament placings.)

I used to say that Zelda should belong on the upper part of E tier before this list came out, but that MK took a dump on everyone and bumped the entire cast down an entire tier. However, I still think Zelda should be around the same area. (the new G tier)

Rage more.
Cool story bro.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
You know what, we should sticky this thread and rename it "The Official Zelda Troll Thread."

Maybe it'll cut down on the trolling in other topics..... (hmm)

Adapt

Smash Lord

Not judging you or your skill, but Zelda is a character that absolutely *****........ when the other person doesn't know what she can do. Once they adapt, though, her effectiveness takes a HUGE nosedive -- more so than most other characters, imo. She's got some good stuff, but it's all fairly easy for most of the cast to get around.

We actually do have a few people that dabble in Zelda, so she isn't unknown in our circle. I just play Zelda better/differently than them. I know exactly what you mean though. I stopped using her early on because I got wrecked by people I could beat with ZSS.

I also never said I won all my matches. lol

Vinnie

Smash Master
Hey guys, I have 2 srs friendlies replays from a tourney that are going to be uploaded, my Zelda vs a pretty good MK. I need you guys to rate it! I'll post back when it's uploaded.

saqer

Smash Rookie
She is one of the weakest lightweights ever. I get knocked out as early as 65%. I idea with Zelda is to keep doing din's fire from afar to rack up damage on your opponents. Avoid direct hand to hand combat as much as possible and spam all her smash moves particularly up A and fair. I also don't understand how you can rank her so low when her and sheik are one person. Can someone please elaborate why they don't consider zelda/sheik one person.

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
She is one of the weakest lightweights ever. I get knocked out as early as 65%. I idea with Zelda is to keep doing din's fire from afar to rack up damage on your opponents. Avoid direct hand to hand combat as much as possible and spam all her smash moves particularly up A and fair.
you don't want to do that because all people have to do is power shield the dins and move forward. and you don't want to spam her smashes because there is a lot of lag at the end of her attacks, and if the smash misses, it can be punished by basically every member of the cast in one way or another. It's best to space your tilts and smashes and time your attacks. Zelda is about timing and spacing, and if you don't have that then zelda is useless (even though she is pretty much useless as is).

I also don't understand how you can rank her so low when her and sheik are one person. Can someone please elaborate why they don't consider zelda/sheik one person.
because there are players who solely play zelda and solely play sheik (for example, i'll solely play zelda). yes, there are players taht use both characters, but not everyone does it.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

If your opponent is adapting to you shouldn't you switch it up moar ?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
If your opponent is adapting to you shouldn't you switch it up moar ?
Obviously, but Zelda lacks the sheer number of options that many other characters have. This makes her much more difficult to be effectively unpredictable with, so "switching it up" helps but honestly doesn't do much for her at higher levels of play.

MeLL0W

Smash Apprentice
Zelda falling 9 places didn't really affect my play style with her since nobody gave her the time of day anyway. And its mostly because nobody uses her at tournaments so its not like its because she suddenly became suxors. Atleast she's still pretty. =)

Wolfric

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GoodLuckTrying
Guess it's just me, but I've never counterpicked another character after I lose with Zelda, I always go for the "revenge" after losing, even in Tourneys, and most of the times I've gotten my revenge and still keep playing her or Sheik, these are the two characters I feel relaxed and comfortable with when I'm playing Tournaments, this might be the reason I'd never drop her as my Main, it's just the character suited for my style I suppose.

MrEh

Smash Hero
And its mostly because nobody uses her at tournaments so its not like its because she suddenly became suxors. Atleast she's still pretty. =)
Zelda has always been this bad. People just never noticed it until the last tier list came out. lol

Guess it's just me, but I've never counterpicked another character after I lose with Zelda, I always go for the "revenge" after losing, even in Tourneys, and most of the times I've gotten my revenge and still keep playing her or Sheik, these are the two characters I feel relaxed and comfortable with when I'm playing Tournaments, this might be the reason I'd never drop her as my Main, it's just the character suited for my style I suppose.
Play whoever you want. Just make sure you love doing it.

saqer

Smash Rookie
I have limited experiences and may not have the slightest ideas of pro tourneys, metagames and what not but I think Zelda is being downgraded for political reasons :D. But seriously, after playing with her some more she has a wide range of capabilities not seen in better ranked characters. She has a couple of major flaws which may make her seem super vulnerable and crappy but here are some ideas I want to bounce around:

1. Create a buffer zone using repeated combination of din's fire, nairu's love, jab in that priority. If you keep bombarding your opponent with those movies they'll be forced to roll shield in order to come close to attack you (assuming projectiles are being deflected w/nr). As soon as they get about zelda's arm link close you can do din's fire if they're a slower/bigger character and start a juggling combo, or do a grab move without the specific intention of really grabbing which might throw them off and make them roll out of your area and help maintain the buffer zone. If you're able to gram them hit them with a smash move while grounded and then teleport. Rinse. Repeat. If you're not able to grab, however, and you're hit, allow yourself to do a quick recovery swipe, do a quick jab A and teleport out.

2. Zelda has one of the best edge guarding techniques in the game. Hands down. You have Din's fire (a projectile) + Nairu's wind (teleport attack if done properly), and of course all her smash moves. I agree with Aznfinesse that spacing and timing are key, but there are so many options.

3. Psychological games. Keep confusing your opponent by transporting repeatedly around the stage but try to keep the the destination transport on the ground so u don't have to deal with lag. You can also confuse them with Zelda's grab move, which is an excellent setup to execute combos, and will keep them rolling away rather into you.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Well... =p... Eh's signature (I'd say) is at it's most appropriate right now.

Let's try and make this thread slooowly die out now that the tier list drama is fading away.

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
1. Create a buffer zone using repeated combination of din's fire, nairu's love, jab in that priority. If you keep bombarding your opponent with those movies they'll be forced to roll shield in order to come close to attack you (assuming projectiles are being deflected w/nr). As soon as they get about zelda's arm link close you can do din's fire if they're a slower/bigger character and start a juggling combo, or do a grab move without the specific intention of really grabbing which might throw them off and make them roll out of your area and help maintain the buffer zone. If you're able to gram them hit them with a smash move while grounded and then teleport. Rinse. Repeat. If you're not able to grab, however, and you're hit, allow yourself to do a quick recovery swipe, do a quick jab A and teleport out.
it's true that din's is a great pressure tool, but it's too easy to block/spotdodge once your opponent begins to predict your moves. Nayru's Love has way too much lag at the end and is more of a GTFO tool (that and Dsmash). Jab is just awesome, but more of a mix-up when ur forcing your opponent to think that ur gonna fsmash so u force them to shield then go for a grab. You don't really want to do din's up close, unless, like you said, ur opponent is a heavy and slow character. Generally using dins close against characters like MK and Marth is a bad idea, and din's doesn't work on campers such as falco and pit. The trick to really using zelda is to use her counter approach and anti-aerial abilities to their maximum.

2. Zelda has one of the best edge guarding techniques in the game. Hands down. You have Din's fire (a projectile) + Nairu's wind (teleport attack if done properly), and of course all her smash moves. I agree with Aznfinesse that spacing and timing are key, but there are so many options.
She really does...if you are an excellent reader. That's generally why players like DM and NL do so well with Zelda, is because their reading and predicting skills are abnormally strong. If you know what your opponents are going to do, zelda is the character to punish with. When her attacks connect, they CONNECT. But, again, you must read to a 0.001% margin of error (exaggerated percentage, of course, but you get the idea). And it's Farore's wind lol.

3. Psychological games. Keep confusing your opponent by transporting repeatedly around the stage but try to keep the the destination transport on the ground so u don't have to deal with lag. You can also confuse them with Zelda's grab move, which is an excellent setup to execute combos, and will keep them rolling away rather into you.
keeping your opponent confused is good, but zelda has few options available to her. It may seem a lot, but once your opponent begins to figure it out, it becomes extremely easy to punish your approaches and attempts at "combos". As I said earlier, It's all about spacing, timing, and reading.

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Zelda is Middle High at least, US Zelda mainer are just bad
Tiers list =/= Ranking Character
Learn from Jujux guys xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom