• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I have no idea why Sakurai doesn't do this:

Side B: Egg Toss

Up B: Eggroll
When used on the ground, works like a normal eggroll.
When used in the air, The egg goes up in an arc followed by a rainbow, and at its peak, it falls into normal eggroll.
srsly, Sakurai.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher

When used in the air, The egg goes up in an arc followed by a rainbow, and at its peak, it falls into normal eggroll.
srsly, Sakurai.
That would be a pretty good idea actually, but then you might as well keep Egg Roll as side B and just have it aid recovery in such a way. Side B recovery moves are nothing new after all, especially now that Fox's Illusion doesn't even leave him helpless.

Speaking of, does anybody know if Yoshi still goes into helpless state after cancelling the Egg Roll in the air? Or is there ANY footage of an airial Egg Roll, at that? I really want to know how this works now. Bad as the move has been in the past games though, I still really like the move and I have seen it being buffed at least, since it turns around faster and I THINK it has more power now as well.

Also Egg Roll changes color with the colored Yoshi now, so yay for that ! I wonder why the other egg-based moves don't have that though, Egg Lay and Egg Toss still have green spots even if it is from other Yoshi colors.

Other moveset changes I guess could include him having that tongue tether recovery, and just a better grab game at that. Yoshi is always shown with such a long tongue in many of the non-SSB games he appears in, yet it's shorter than most other tether grabs in the Smash series. So, Sakurai! Give Yoshi his dignity back!

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno

srsly, Sakurai.
We are already trying to avoid the Eggroll as much as possible and still it happens and makes my guts twist some rounds like a nascar wagon inside my stomach.
So your idea of making the Eggroll our recovery move, makes me shiver in fear of Nintendo reading your post.

Plees, no haterino nonono.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
We are already trying to avoid the Eggroll as much as possible and still it happens and makes my guts twist some rounds like a nascar wagon inside my stomach.
So your idea of making the Eggroll our recovery move, makes me shiver in fear of Nintendo reading your post.

Plees, no haterino nonono.
Try to be reasonable. You're getting the picture it'd suck as a recovery, just because you hate Eggroll.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Sure!

Without the Eggthrow being the recovery, you'd lose the ability to gain height with it i assume.
This leads to Yoshi not being able to throw eggs safely from an edge.

--- cutting my post right here while writing ---

That's pretty much the only thing i can state here to be honest...

Since the Eggroll, apparently, doesn't make Yoshi fall down like a rock after using it anymore, the combination of your recovery idea with it sounds reasonable.
It could, actually, be incredibly strong, since the gained height can be used over and over again as you are getting edgehogged.

To conclude my post: the 40minutes ago Slice was wrong and i like your idea.

edit: P.S.: all hail Bartolomeo, the king of kawaii

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Sure!

Without the Eggthrow being the recovery, you'd lose the ability to gain height with it i assume.
This leads to Yoshi not being able to throw eggs safely from an edge.

--- cutting my post right here while writing ---

That's pretty much the only thing i can state here to be honest...

Since the Eggroll, apparently, doesn't make Yoshi fall down like a rock after using it anymore, the combination of your recovery idea with it sounds reasonable.
It could, actually, be incredibly strong, since the gained height can be used over and over again as you are getting edgehogged.

To conclude my post: the 40minutes ago Slice was wrong and i like your idea.

edit: P.S.: all hail Bartolomeo, the king of kawaii
Ye, you wouldn't get a hight-boost by tossing eggs, but I picture it you'd still be able throw eggs from the ledge by simply releasing > > DJ > eggtoss > regrab.

Correct. You wouldn't go into freefall, but in exchange, you wouldn't be able to do another aerial eggroll until you touch ground or get hit. Much like Sonic's Up B.

PS: Barto <3

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
:0
Is that true?
And what about the colour of the egg in the Egg Roll and Egg Toss attacks?
Yes. It is true. But I dunno about the other eggs.

EDIT: According to Smash Wiki, the color of his shield and the egg from his side special change. It doesn't mention the eggs from the up special though.

Last edited:

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature
Yoshi stands upright now, and he can jump out of his shield, but are their any major changes to him?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Here is the Yoshi changelog I gathered so far after playing smash 4 on 3DS today:
- He can Jump Out of Shield!!!!
- Down Air startup reduced
Shield, Shield-Jump, Down Air.
I'm inventing the Meta.
...Knight.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
To get looks out of the way, it's too generic. At least three other characters have that up-smash, and I doubt they will do anything to make it more interesting. I also doubt he'll be able to reach characters on platforms as effectively.

Additionally, Yoshi's old up-smash had interesting properties. You could hit people behind you. The lean back could help you avoid attacks. It covered a wide area above him at certain points of the animation. Basically, this new up-smash gives us more problems than solutions.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
To get looks out of the way, it's too generic. At least three other characters have that up-smash, and I doubt they will do anything to make it more interesting. I also doubt he'll be able to reach characters on platforms as effectively.
Actually, aMSa claims the up-smash can hit opponents on the lower platforms of Battlefield.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
in the Mii Fighter update with the Swordfighter's 3 custom projectile attacks, Sakurai mentions that the Chakram can only be used as a SideB attack, implying that the other moves can be positioned in other buttons and that you can have almost an entire special moveset consisting of projectiles as a Swordfighter.

This info plus the pics of Fox getting a custom Blaster move for his UpB and Yoshi getting a custom SideB move for its DownB leads me to believe that while each move has 3 total variations, they are not locked to their button of origin, meaning that you could effectively have a Mario that foregoes F.L.U.D.D. altogether and replaces it with a different Fireball variation or a Donkey Kong with no Headbutt but another variation of his punch or a Fox with no Illusion but another variation of his Shine in its place.

that or you are locked to having one of each move, but you can position them however way you want. so for Charizard, you can return Rock Smash as its SideB and have Flamethrower be its DownB and Flare Blitz can be its UpB and Fly be its NeutralB.

either one of those (or I could just be wrong)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Speaking of Fox, I found another thing during one of the SSB3DS sections of the Treehouse.
"Fox: Charge Blaster, UP B" You know, I'm starting to think that something's wrong here.
What I mean is:
Heavy Egg Roll could be >B
Giant Blow could be NB
Charge Blaster could be NB
And Sakurai's just messing with our heads with his debug magicalness.
Or what the lovely fellow a few posts above said.

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
If they were to extend Yoshi's tongue even further, not to mention his pivot grab, that would make his grab game ridiculously good. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, however. This is a needed upgrade. People will focus a bit more on his offensive options, which have been given buffs as well. If they want Yoshi to amount to the competition, then this is the last necessary step.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Usmash = Flash Kick no?
That's what I call it, especially since it has the FK visual effect to go with it. Admittedly, it's not as funny as the other names...

[EDIT: I didn't realize that this was an old thread when I posted. Sorry for necro-ing.]

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Not sure how i feel about yoshi's egg throw. maybe it's just the 3ds
He stands upright, but the rest of his mannerisms are still reptilian. I wish his animations were more like the sprite from Yoshi's Island DS.

Also, why does he still hide in that egg? It only cripples him! Just give him a normal evasion!

DoktoroKiu

Smash Rookie
I can't remember the last time a standing grab worked for me as yoshi even in my more non-competitive play. Considering he is a fairly weak character, especially in grabbing, they should buff his grabs to put him at least as good as the long lag after grabbing would suggest it was. He feels as slow as ranged grabs without really having much range.

Another area I'd like to see improved is in the effectiveness of the neutral b. Maybe something where 1/10 eggs explodes and does more damage or something. As it stands there is little punishment for getting caught in Yoshi's egg (other than humiliation). In the case where it is used to edge-guard it is a slower and more risky tactic than a simple spike, so it's more of a "gotcha" than a true useful ability.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah, sadly both of Yoshi's grabs aren't all that useful, so I do hope his grab game is improved at least a bit in Smash 4. Regarding the grab itself, I ALWAYS use a pivot grab as Yoshi because that's the only somewhat reliable way to grab with Yoshi that is not punishable. The only time I use a standard/running grab is for chaingrabs through grab/release.

I never played Project M by the way (because they give priority to making costumes and all that to actually bringing it to us PAL players, but whatever), did they improve Yoshi's grab game at all?

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
How do you mean by that? Like as in more vertical distance gained from it? Yoshi already has a really good recovery, just not at first glance.
Oh no doubt, I've quite mastered many different ways to recover. I was only musing at the possibility that he'd have a dedicated recovery move, even if it was only a bit more than what you get when you egg toss.
Perhaps since his double jump is quite nice already, Sakurai could kind of go the Little Mac route and (if he does make one of the custom Up-B moves a recovery) not make it as height effective, but have a decent amount of attack power (while giving more height than the little bounce you get off of throwing an egg, of course).

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
We'd need a mod if we wanted anybody to not make multiple threads on stuff that can be in the Socials or posting in those multiple threads and turn it into essentially a 2nd or so social Yika, we need a mod for this sub-forum if we want to stop all that and I'm just the person to do that job :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom