• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Dont think Grab Release chain grabs are doable anymore, seems like they react too fast. DEFINITELY wasnt anywhere near possible against Toon Link lol

DR is out im almost 100% sure. Dont see how it could still be in tbh. His double jump is now more like a Falco or Sheik grounded jump, it just goes straight up really high really fast. It's different for sure, but I dont think it will take too long to get used to (I was used to it after about 30 seconds of gameplay).

Yoshi can in fact usmash OoS, and its really fast actually. You can also get a VERY slight slide forward with it for a little extra distance, but most I could get was only about 1/3rd of a character length forward.

Egg Toss has WAY less cooldown, like holy ****, you can throw like 3 eggs in the time it took to throw 2 in Brawl. Eggs themselves also have more gravity to them and fall further down before exploding than they did in Brawl.

Yoshi's standing grab has quite literally half the cooldown it used to have on whiff. Still punishable, but we shouldnt be eating (see wut i did there) semi charged smash attacks on whiff unless we're predicted.

Egg lay traps for longer, and OPPONENTS ARE NO LONGER INVINCIBLE RIGHT AS THEY COME OUT OF THE EGG, so egg laying than full hopping a dair on top of it is REALLY good since its basically inescapable AND it combos into basically everything. Played against my friend and was able to Egg Lay > Dair > Auto canceled Bair > Utilt > Uair > DJ Uair from 0% to like 50%, felt god mode.

Egg Toss might have more maneuverability, but I didnt notice anything. You might be able to change your horizontal movement mid egg toss while in the air with it, but I had to had over the 3DS right as I was beginning to mess around with it.

Down B still auto snaps the ledge, and we can now Egg Roll offstage as we break out of it and grab the ledge. Im almost positive there's a faster auto snap possible, but I didnt find it important enough to waste time on atm considering the ledge changes.

Getting fair reads on air dodges and such over the stage are SUPER strong with the new ground bounce mechanic, free uair/usmash kills and combos for days. Still techable, but if they dont see it coming or mistime the tech, you can start making combo videos.

New dash attack goes FAR and its really fast. Landing against Yoshi should be really had considering how fast he is and how far that thing goes. Add in the new air dodge lag on landing and the decreased cooldown on egg toss, and using sliding egg tosses to force an air dodge then punishing definitely seems to be completely possible and powerful.

Forgot to test down b's alleged super armor, and there might be some things I forgot to mention, but I only had maybe 2 mins to play him and thats all I could check/notice.

Last edited:

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Can confirm that Yoshi has a ton of control over his horizontal momentum during his upB now.

Double jump cancelled egg lays appear to be no longer a thing, which is kind of disappointing. I'm okay with this though if what Z'zgashi said about egg lay follow-ups is true.

I also noticed that while standing grab has much less end lag than it used to, pivot grab has a lot more end lag than it used to; Yoshi now has this weird recoil animation when he retracts his tongue back into his mouth. So now we have the option to grab with low start-up and high cooldown on whiff, or high start-up and low cooldown on whiff. Pretty interesting IMO.

All of this is obviously subject to change, but overall, Yoshi is looking mad cute so far.

noxmiles

Smash Rookie
NNID
noxmiles
3DS FC
2277-6865-5200
Tried out yoshi as well yesterday. I had quite a bit of time with him; I probably could've taken as long as I wanted to if I told everyone to skip me in line hehe xD

But anyways, I dont think anyone has mentioned that yoshi can jump while in egg roll form. he wont actually break out of the egg - he'd just keep rolling, but would just bounce up in the air o.o

I have no footage or anything to show tho, but I figure it'd be worth mentioning.

EDIT - As it turns out, from another thread, we knew about yoshi's egg roll hop... So, uh, I guess I'm confirming that then? xD

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Double jump cancelled egg lays appear to be no longer a thing, which is kind of disappointing.
So specials don't cancel jumps anymore? I guess we'll live considering all the other buffs but I do love my DJCs, will be missed :c

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
I don't think i'll make any Combo Videos, these times are over.
But we'll see.

Think he's still focusing on making music with Fragmancy. If anything, instead of combo videos, just working with the 1-3 minute stuff he made of messing with AT's is fine too with some nice Pendulum music playing.
<3
If i don't suck at Smash 4, i'll probably make some tech videos again, since i love making stuff like that.

Fragmency is kinda dead though, i started working on a new project a few years ago called "Risuno".
I already had a lot of gigs in Vienna and some other clubs, even played with the great "Eptic" (Electro / Dubstep Artist from Belgium).
https://soundcloud.com/risuno
whoop!
/childishselfpromotion

However, i can't wait to get back to the scene and i'm kinda sad that our own Brawl players are too demotivated to actually do something.
Smash 4 is going to be great though, i still need to come over to the big land of possibilities to meet some of You guys already. <3

tl;dr: can't wait!

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Yoshi is probably the character I'm more comfortable playing. Yet, for the longest time, I never classified him as my main, just one of those "He's fun" characters. That's going to change for Smash 4, where I will make a serious attempt to main him.

Skull_Kid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sentenza_55
Probably gonna stick with Yoshi, but i gotta admit, a couple of other characters have caught my attention, so depending on how he turns out, i'll see what to do. I'm probably gonna learn another character just in case, i'm really looking foward to try out ZSS, Greninja, Sheik and hopefully Falcon (assuming he will be back).

Sorabotics

Smash Rookie
Well, he already got a nice new dash attack, as shown on the DS. The one thing I would look for the most would be the ability to use his side b as a method of recovery like in PM.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Good so I wasn't going crazy when I was able to move around while doing UpB.
Fantastic.

Egg rolling offstage and being able to snap onto the ledge is another goodie, something I wish Brawl did but P:M people threw in their mod instead.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Fragmency is kinda dead though, i started working on a new project a few years ago called "Risuno".
I already had a lot of gigs in Vienna and some other clubs, even played with the great "Eptic" (Electro / Dubstep Artist from Belgium).
Dang that kinda sucks, I remember going to your channel a year and a half ago and noticed how there wasn't anymore uploads.
Will say tho I did use two or three of fragmancy's songs on my wii for a good while until I deleted everything from my SD card since I quit basically.

However, i can't wait to get back to the scene and i'm kinda sad that our own Brawl players are too demotivated to actually do something.
Smash 4 is going to be great though, i still need to come over to the big land of possibilities to meet some of You guys already. <3
Yah, sucks brawl died out the way it did. Dunno about anywhere else not named Cali NY/NJ, but for my state we started slowing down to a crawl after early 2012. If anybody wanted smash of any kind, they'd have to go play P:M with Dallas lol.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
Now that he can hop in Egg Roll, I can't stop comparing it to Sonic's Down B. They're both fast on the ground, can turn around quickly, and can both hop into the air while doing it. Makes me wonder if Yoshi can drag people into the air and combo out of Egg Roll after hopping off the ground.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Oh another thing confirmed? We can jump while in egg roll? Cool, anyways only if we can get out of it while in the air.
If not then we cannot.

Fingerp@ss

Smash Cadet
If Karamity plays and the cyan color is still there, just Yoshi. Unless you know... Ganon or something. But yeah honestly not gonna dab around with much of any other character this time around. Hopefully remember how to play this game too.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Not sure how i feel about yoshi's egg throw. maybe it's just the 3ds

Last edited:

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Argh, I REALLY want to play the Demo but it's not only is it not on the E-shop, but there are also no Best Buy stores here.

PLEASE, SOMEONE RELEASE THE DEMO ON THE E-SHOP, PLEASE!

Btw, Yoshi is looking pretty good so far, much better than he was in Brawl...

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Oh, nice to know the sandbag was showing the damage we do to it.

Edit: one thing to point out tho, it seems like we get possibly only 3 egg toss hops now.

Last edited:

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
one thing to point out tho, it seems like we get possibly only 3 egg toss hops now.
Yeah, it looks like his potential for recovery has dropped slightly unless egg roll gives some momentum in the air now, but that's more than made up for by Yoshi's greatly improved offensive options. Those updated smashes and tilts look even better in action - windup seems to be reduced all around the board!

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
During E3 (I think the invitational), we saw the end of a Smash Run, and Yoshi got "Heavy Egg Roll". But... it also said it was a Down B move. Wait, what? Isn't the Egg Roll a SIDE B? I don't understand.
Judging by the name, I'd assume it's a Slower, Super-Armor'd version of the Egg Roll... but why is it DOWN B?
Gah, so confusing...

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Id assume it takes place of his ground pound

Klaww

Smash Cadet
NNID
KlawwTheClown
3DS FC
1220-6841-7284
I'm thinking it's probably just a ground pound that transforms you into an egg before you slam into the ground.

Then maybe you can roll away directly after landing or something.

Sharky

Smash Master
Yeah this are alternate specials for single player modes. They said during the round table I believe that they would not be for multiplayer.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Yeah this are alternate specials for single player modes. They said during the round table I believe that they would not be for multiplayer.
They're in multiplayer, just not in the 'With Anyone' mode. They work everywhere else.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Thank you for telling me something that not only did I already know, but is completley irrelevant to this conversation.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Likewise at one point during the Treehouse they also got some Hammer customization for Kirby's Down-B. It's really odd honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom