• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I actually used to hate Yoshi's playstyle, but the Direct gave me a reason to revisit the character, and now he's one of my favorites to use. There are a ton of possibilities that Yoshi possesses, so pulling them off is always a treat. My personal favorite is laying the egg off the stage. :chuckle:

That being said I was a little disappointed about no major moveset changes at first, but after playing as Yoshi recently everything comes together surprisingly well. If only Melee style air dodges came back to give Yoshi a good way of recovering.

I still wish we could aim the eggs though.

Last edited:

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
Those are just images not actual character models
Well, kinda, no.
The silhouettes are models as they move and interact with other characters. They are not moving images in the background.
I suppose G&W isn't a model huh?

On the topic of Yoshi's FS, I really hope it stays the same.
But if it doesn't, I just hope that it is something that you control.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Well, kinda, no.
The silhouettes are models as they move and interact with other characters. They are not moving images in the background.
I suppose G&W isn't model huh?

On the topic of Yoshi's FS, I really hope it stays the same.
But if it doesn't, I just hope that it is something that you control.
Well I mean they aren't detailed, properly animated models and yes I agree it should stay the same, it fits and is a throwback to his first appearance

Last edited:

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
One problem, the 3DS version, I don't think it'll be able to handle that many characters on screen
They could probably do lower quality models moving at fewer FPS. Or rather than 3D models they could have the Yoshis look like they did in Yoshi's New Island

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Eh I never liked the Super Dragon despite knowledge of its origins. Those big wings never looked good on Yoshi. And the Yoshi stampede would definitely be a bit much.

I'm all for a Mega Eggdozer as his new Final Smash. Sure it's from a newer and quite poorly received entry in the series but it makes sense. We're already getting two new transformative Final Smashes (Mega Charizard X and Mega Lucario) so this would definitely make for a great change.

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
One way to make the egg dozers not completely boring is if instead of being a one shot throw, maybe it could bounce off the boundary of the stage 3-4 times so it has a chance to hit multiple times. You should also of course be able to aim the egg dozer.

If it was just a one shot hit, I'd rather just keep Super Dragon.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Super Dragon was very good, plus the attack was something that Yoshi actually used on the games, it should stay.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
The tongue used in the air can still do at least one or two points of damage.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
While I agree, I think giving him access to multiple UpB's, a huge second jump, AND a tether recovery would make him a bit too good. Characters that depend on gimps, like Sheik, would probably have no chance against him.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
This also means we could use that werid tongue punch he use in subspace emissary, yes pls.
What i really want to do is to eat though, and ride him on team matchs :cool:

Last edited:

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
This is something I've wanted to see since teather recovery was a thing in Melee and it hasn't come to mind again until the recent pic of the day for Smash 4. It's something that would be useful, funny and very in character for Yoshi in my opinion, his tongue doesn't usually go as far in Smash as in his games so if Sakurai is extending the length of teather recoveries, this is a chance for Yoshi to use his tongue at almost full length as a teather recovery.
You could do it in Yoshi's Story and Mario Galaxy 2 so I don't really get why they havent done it for Smash.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
If Wolf's out, Yoshi is my main, no contest. I'll play everybody here or there, but Yoshi has always been one of my mainstays. I have faith in Wolf's return, but I'm loving this new Yoshi. I am so HYPED for this game.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
The size is about the same. The rainbows come across as unnecessary, though. Maybe that's just me. =/
Its just you, the rainbows add personality. Like Peach having the hearts and streamers. Functionally pointless but really adds flashiness to the characters. I dig it.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I dunno, the rainbow might let me track better where the egg will hit in order to follow up with some combo. And it looks so fun too.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Buff all three Smashes, especially Down Smash. Better Hitbox on SSmash. Knockback buff at the end of Bair. Better knockback on egg toss. Add greater momentum knockback on Egg Roll (akin to Jiggs Rollout and Super Sonic; the farther you charge to gain speed, the farther they go. Make a long distance roll have KO potential). Extend the length of an opponent's duration in Egg Lay. Add more SA frames to double jump. Jump out of shield like everyone else. Tongue tether recovery. Good Yoshi.

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping for some big changes to my favorite smash animal.

Edit: He aint from space but that doesn't mean you can sleep on him!

Last edited:

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi is locked in and hasn't really changed for the most part, this is a sort of 'If I could make SSB this is what i'd do." as I have some very strong opinions on how Yoshi, my main man..Er..Dinosaur...

Up B: Blue Shell. [Super Mario World] This changes Yoshi jump to sprout wings and glides. Like Pit's it can be canceled into normal jump and normal jumps can vice versa. Unlike Pitt you can up B cancel the Up B and fire the shell as a solid projectile (like samus' missile) however this will cause Yoshi to fall like any other character that expends an up b.

B: Tongue. Two simple buffs i'd give this move; 1) eats energy projectiles and nullifies them, and turns solid projectiles into eggs that will follow him around which buff his side b making it be less frames to fire as long as he has a reserve of eggs, and when he eats enemy players he will have a few frames to side B which will turn it into a throw move where Yoshi hurls the egg with the player in it and when it pops they still take a hit.

Side B: Egg Throw. Egg Roll is just terrible. It's gone. In addition to the buff Egg throw gets from the improved B attack Yoshi can hold be after the input and can move and jump. Yoshi will also throw the egg straight in a 90 degree angle but the egg will move a little slower so you have to lead them more.

Down B: ground pound:Just like in the games it can be jump canceled any time. Also two other changes are 1)When Yoshi hits the ground the immediate area take a little damage but are stunned (Like ZSS' downsmash) and the hit box underneath Yoshi on this move is a meteor spike.

Bair: Replace the tail whip with the dropkick from smash 64.

Out of shield: Unlike the other combatants and the shields, Yoshi's egg is native to him and he can buffer tilts and un-charged smashes out of egg

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Yoshi is locked in and hasn't really changed for the most part, this is a sort of 'If I could make SSB this is what i'd do." as I have some very strong opinions on how Yoshi, my main man..Er..Dinosaur...

Up B: Blue Shell. [Super Mario World] This changes Yoshi jump to sprout wings and glides. Like Pit's it can be canceled into normal jump and normal jumps can vice versa. Unlike Pitt you can up B cancel the Up B and fire the shell as a solid projectile (like samus' missile) however this will cause Yoshi to fall like any other character that expends an up b.

B: Tongue. Two simple buffs i'd give this move; 1) eats energy projectiles and nullifies them, and turns solid projectiles into eggs that will follow him around which buff his side b making it be less frames to fire as long as he has a reserve of eggs, and when he eats enemy players he will have a few frames to side B which will turn it into a throw move where Yoshi hurls the egg with the player in it and when it pops they still take a hit.

Side B: Egg Throw. Egg Roll is just terrible. It's gone. In addition to the buff Egg throw gets from the improved B attack Yoshi can hold be after the input and can move and jump.

Down B: ground pound:Just like in the games it can be jump canceled any time. Also two other changes are 1)When Yoshi hits the ground the immediate area take a little damage but are stunned (Like ZSS' downsmash) and the hit box underneath Yoshi on this move is a meteor spike.

Bair: Replace the tail whip with the dropkick from smash 64.
I highly approve of this :D

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
thank you. I put alot of thought into this and wanted a moveset that was from all his games but still made him play so damn good it would make Fox mains cry.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher

I mean, geez. Yoshi's tongue there clearly hits Marth, yet Marth's arm doesn't even reach Yoshi properly. And who's grab hits? Marth. I feel like this kinda stuff is a big reason as to why Yoshi has always been around the bottom of the pack in tier lists (not that I care about them), and they should just fix Yoshi's tongue. I believe this is the case in Brawl as well, in fact I think his reach there is even shorter. Both visually and hitbox-wise. And I mean, geez, we've seen Yoshi's tongue be MUCH longer than how it's ever portrayed in Smash!

Not saying his tongue should be THAT long, but c'mon, give Yoshi SOME dignity. At the very least keep it at Melee length and fix the damn hitbox because this is just kind of insulting! The only proper grab Yoshi has, I feel like, is his pivot grab in Brawl, which has a much shorter animation at least so that you can get out of the way in time should you mess up.

( Sorry if this is an unnecessary thread; I just found that GIF and I just felt rather frustrated about it! )

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
What bugged me most about Yoshi's standard grab is how darned slow it is. It's about just as bad as Link's grab wiff, but at least Link's grab starts fast enough to reliably hit someone. Yoshi's grab has slow start up and cooldown. If I want to grab people as Yoshi, I either use the pivot grab or the Egg Lay special, which for some reason seems to activate much faster.

I agree anyhow, as someone who plays Yoshi a lot.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
I really didn't realize how terrible Yoshi's grab was until I saw that gif. I do agree that they should really fix it. Even when Yoshi does grab, his grab game is kinda mediocre. Pivot grabbing did fix a lot of problems, but I still think it needs to be addressed. Shortening the start up time and fixing the hitbox would fix it I think. I think the lag if you miss it should stay so you can be punished for missing like any other ranged grab. I do wonder why Egg Lay is significantly faster than his grab though, seeing as how both moves is just him sticking out his tongue. Even in Brawl sometimes, when I get a grab at max length, the grab just fails sometimes.

Also, that gif makes me wonder how Marth even grabbed him. I assume it's because of Yoshi's big nose and his older, hunched over model. So maybe in Smash 4 with him standing upright, his nose and model won't allow him to be hit as much by moves like that. :p

Scatz

Smash Champion
They fixed that in Brawl to inform you... The hitbox in Melee was placed at the middle of his tongue, which is why it missed.

Heck, Yoshi's pivot grabbox goes further than where his tongue stops at.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
They fixed that in Brawl to inform you... The hitbox in Melee was placed at the middle of his tongue, which is why it missed.

Heck, Yoshi's pivot grabbox goes further than where his tongue stops at.
Yeah actually, a couple hours after I posted this, I actually did start up Brawl to do some testing of my own in this case. And what I came up with was that Marth's (standing) grab didn't reach NEARLY as long as in that GIF; his arm even went right THROUGH Yoshi's nose one time and it didn't grab him, while Yoshi was able to reach him from a fair distance. I made this thread a little hastily I guess. BUT, I still think Yoshi's tongue should be lengthened. His grab just isn't good enough to really reward actually grabbing somebody with it, unless you grab one of those Yoshi can chaingrab with grab-release, and even then it's hardly worth using the standard grab for. ( I guess we can simply use this thread to discuss Yoshi's grab(s) in general? If not, it can be closed.)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
As Scatz said Brawl fixed it and y do standing grab at all in both Brawl and Melee.
Will say they should give him a longer tongue at least.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Umm. He can jump out of shield. His up smash is a back flip tail whip. Egg roll is super quick. Just what I noticed before I was forced to collect all the power up items.

Fingerp@ss

Smash Cadet
Umm. He can jump out of shield. His up smash is a back flip tail whip.
Hey Patrick, my name is Patrick. I gotta see that up smash for myself.

Edit: just saw the video posted in the other thread. Liking how yoshi moves now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom