• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yes please! This is exactly one of the buffs Yoshi could use, it could really help improve his recovery options, in turn helping him become a more viable character overall.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X

Did anyone else notice that?? Hahah throwing bolders in this game... Hopefully that is just move customization in the works.
They just seemed bigger to me in this photo. But I guess it might just be Zero Suit's small stature..

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I will agree that Yoshi would welcome a tether recovery in his tongue(although it would look somewhat weird). HOWEVER, I can't stand it when I see people say Yoshi's recovery was bad or inadequate. In Brawl, Yoshi has one of the best and flexible recoveries that is very hard to punish when used intelligently...against anyone not named metaknight.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I was hoping they buffed up the Egg Throw move. It was weakened in Brawl.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
It is slightly faster in that it has a little less cooldown, but the damage/knockback/etc we have no idea about. It seems very similar range/hitbox size/speed wise, but without all the details, its hard to tell exactly how good it will actually be. Seems about the same as before, just a slight bit safer.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Egg toss was still one of his best moves in Brawl, even if it was nerfed. It's doubtful they'll buff it this time round. (Other than what Z'zgashi has already mentioned)

While on the topic of eggs, it's likely they'll add a Yoshi's Island style egg throw option as a selectable special move going by what we've seen of the moves varieties so far, both would have their advantages and drawbacks.

Last edited:

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
They will be huge when custom move edits come in :p. But I will say the picture fooled me too.

RODO

Smash Ace
I will agree that Yoshi would welcome a tether recovery in his tongue(although it would look somewhat weird). HOWEVER, I can't stand it when I see people say Yoshi's recovery was bad or inadequate. In Brawl, Yoshi has one of the best and flexible recoveries that is very hard to punish when used intelligently...against anyone not named metaknight.
It's not that the recovery is bad because it's bad. The distance and height is great but the predictability of it makes it terrible. He has no mix-ups when recovering.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
@ Scatz Scatz

It's not that the recovery is bad because it's bad. The distance and height is great but the predictability of it makes it terrible. He has no mix-ups when recovering.
No, Yoshi has plenty of mixups while recovering, provided you can DI, and actually know Yoshi's options. Yoshi's innate air speed good enough to get back to the stage. Combining with his floatiness and specials, you have options. When recovering high, Yoshi can air stall with up-B, or throw an opponent off with by b-reversing neutral B. Instead of landing directly onstage, you can down-B to the ledge from above. If the opponents is careless, you can egglay them offstage, halting an edge guard attempt. If recovering from mid height or below, drifting to the ledge with u-B will cover you as you throw eggs at your opponent. Those options arn't even mentioning Yoshi's great double jump in tandem with air dodge.

A good Yoshi rarely get's gimped offstage unless you're fighting someone like DDD, MK, or ROB..

Last edited:

RODO

Smash Ace
@ Scatz Scatz

No, Yoshi has plenty of mixups while recovering, provided you can DI, and actually know Yoshi's options. Yoshi's innate air speed good enough to get back to the stage. Combining with his floatiness and specials, you have options. When recovering high, Yoshi can air stall with up-B, or throw an opponent off with by b-reversing neutral B. Instead of landing directly onstage, you can down-B to the ledge from above. If the opponents is careless, you can egglay them offstage, halting an edge guard attempt. If recovering from mid height or below, drifting to the ledge with u-B will cover you as you throw eggs at your opponent. Those options arn't even mentioning Yoshi's great double jump in tandem with air dodge.

A good Yoshi rarely get's gimped offstage unless you're fighting someone like DDD, MK, or ROB..
I still don't believe he has that many options. His recovery is mid-tier at best.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's been shown to canonically grapple with his tongue in multiple games. Between that and his easily wrecked recovery, I say they should go for it!

Scatz

Smash Champion
Oi! I've been summoned. I have no thoughts about his tongue bei-

Oh boy. You sent me to do clean up didn't you? Is this Brawl? or Melee/PM/64?

Ah. Welp...

Cool. So I assume you don't play Brawl that much, because if anything, he has one of the better recoveries because of his options. Most people default to just one option, which is double jump air dodge, and that was good for a few years against people. They gave him 5 hops to his Up-B, he's able to B-reverse, turnaround, and wavebounce his specials, he's able to snap to the ledge using down-B, and still has his DJ options. Yeah... I think you don't know what you're talking about.

Now if you were referring to PM, Melee, or 64, then I'd agree. All he has IS his DJ. Brawl is the exception and 10000x times better.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I'd give him a generic Double Jump, and make his Double Jump his new up+B, with a small buff in that it can knock ppl away with low damage and knockback.
That or to make his up+B the Yoshi Chopter.

Egg Toss would be on side+B instead, and there'd be a very small chance of you throwing a big egg, doing more damage and possibly kill at higher %'s.
Egg Roll sucks anyway.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I'd be completely content with them just keeping Brawl Yoshi's recovery personally, as Scatz mentioned he's got lots more recovery options and mixups than meets the eye. It'd be nice if aerial egg roll doesn't put us into helpless so if we mess up a wavebounced/ Breverse egg throw or neutral B while recovering we don't die instead. :I (nobody's got perfect tech skill)

Regarding a tether recovery, in the games he only tethers onto floating objects (surprise balls-Yoshi's Story, the flowers in Galaxy 2) rather than ledges, but it's definitely something he'd be capable of and could help somewhat. It's not the end of the world if he doesn't get one.
I'm not against it or anything like that, just another neutral. :3

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
This is long overdue. I'm hopping we end up seeing this because it literally made no sense why it hasn't be implemented already.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
You guys want to see Yoshi hanging to a ledge off stage with his tongue?

Ouch.

Sharky

Smash Master
The size is about the same. The rainbows come across as unnecessary, though. Maybe that's just me. =/

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
He joined in 2013 scatz, doubt he knows Yoshi at all.
Also it won't happen, but if Yoshi's tongue has the strength to pull in objects 10 times his size, I'm sure his tongue would be fine grabbing the ledge.

Maikou

Smash Ace
People, this is YOSHI we are talking about, the cute and cuddly and cartoony I-don't-belong-here from Brawl (Brawl was too realistic looking and Yoshi was finally updated to look like his cartoony form and even had some cartoony antics), who's to say his tongue can't grapple ledges? besides, we're talking about a game where people slash each other, zap each other, fry each other, kexplode each other, and far more. what's hanging on a ledge via your tongue in a world like that? especially since nobody actually gets hurt? and nothing gets ripped/scratched/torn to shreds? no blood or gore? seriously people..........Yoshi needs Tongue Tether and there is no logical argument against it. Char.

Scatz

Smash Champion
All we need to know:

Yoshi has been able to grab and swing from objects with his tongue in games (which ones, idk). The bigger problem I see if that it can't be a hitbox like how Samus's, Toon Link's, and Link's are. From a history standpoint, it would still be a grab since he could grab enemies at that range too. The only viable option I can see if making it have no grab hitbox until it hits a ledge or wall, but that would be extremely weird when you think about that.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
All we need to know:

Yoshi has been able to grab and swing from objects with his tongue in games (which ones, idk). The bigger problem I see if that it can't be a hitbox like how Samus's, Toon Link's, and Link's are. From a history standpoint, it would still be a grab since he could grab enemies at that range too. The only viable option I can see if making it have no grab hitbox until it hits a ledge or wall, but that would be extremely weird when you think about that.
Just make it like Sheik's side B in Brawl. It can't be used in the air except when teathering. Yoshi's zair would function the same.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
This is probably quite the stretch but what if Yoshi pulled a Snake. He jumps into the foreground and uses the large eggs he gets from those balloons to toss large eggs at the fighter, causing a huge impact. Basically emulating the final battle with Baby Bowser from Yoshi's Island.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm expecting to see Mega Egg Dozer, a giant egg that cannot be deflected by anything but screen edges, will do massive damage to anything it passes over and will go off screen rather than bounce on its fifth wall collision.
So I am probably the only one here that actually wants this to be the Final Smash?

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I think a Yoshi stampede similar to the Melee opening cinematic and Paper Mario TTYD would be a really cool FS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom