• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get Low

Smash Ace
When you select Yoshi in the next game, a color spectrum should pop up, allowing you to choose the exact shade of the exact color you want him to be.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Give him a real shield
Sorry, I just was in here and noticed you're from Baton Rouge, too. Do you work at EA?
And just to be on topic, I just hope they give him a decent recovery. I see they were going along the right path in Brawl, but he just needs a little more.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Troll everyone and give him the Baby Pink Yoshi's balloon bulge from New Super Mario Bros. U in place of his Flutter Jump.

And give him Baby Blue Yoshi's Bubble Beam in place of Egg Roll.

BSP

Smash Legend
Sorry, I just was in here and noticed you're from Baton Rouge, too. Do you work at EA?
And just to be on topic, I just hope they give him a decent recovery. I see they were going along the right path in Brawl, but he just needs a little more.
No, I do not.

Yoshi needs a stronger Usmash too. When your Usmash is weaker than Mario's, you've got some serious trouble.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
- Make Egg Throw all-around controllable like in Melee. DITCH the damn "egg routes".

I stopped using Egg Throw due how ineffective and limited it was since I got to use Yoshi. I don't get why it's discouraging to use that special move versatilely.
(-=_=-)

- He has loads of attacks that seem punishable or are just pretty ineffective. The smashes are weak and sluggish at times and Egg Roll's useless now.

- Buff up the Yoshi Bomb!!!

- Let Yoshi eat items or projectiles with his tongue. I don't still believe developers are overlooking this trait on him.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
His only good special moves that Brawl did right was Neutral B and DownB.
Egg roll is horrendous while Egg Toss is decent. But so many glaring flaws, especially the above with the routes and all... 90 Degrees being the max our egg can go is kinda dumb.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yoshi has a more humanoid-looking appearance in most Mario spin-offs now, so I think his Smash Bros. incarnation should follow that route.

Also, I just don't see Yoshi being heavy; he should be more around Mario's weight class.

Regarding specials, ditch the Egg Roll and make Egg Throw a side special, but with some changes. Lastly, give Yoshi a real third jump; one thought is that he could use an egg as a stepping stone to perform a long jump; the jump would render Yoshi semi-helpless, being unable to use his specials until he touches ground or flinches.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
^ No, that sounds ****ing dumb.

Leave him the same but let him jump out of shield like every other character in the game please.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The thing is though, I hate to see Yoshi have to rely solely on his mid-air jump to recover. In fact, the lack of a third jump is likely one of the reasons for Yoshi's poor tier positions.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I like how you say that, yet Yoshi has currently one of the safest recoveries in the game. His problem isnt BY ANY MEANS recovery, its that he has a god awful shield with no OoS options whatsoever, and the fact that he has a hard time securing kills. If they fix the simple problem he has with his shield, he'd be a VERY solid character.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
In fact, Yoshi's recovery has actually IMPROVED from Melee to Brawl. In Melee, his Up Special didn't boost him up at all.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The thing is though, I hate to see Yoshi have to rely solely on his mid-air jump to recover. In fact, the lack of a third jump is likely one of the reasons for Yoshi's poor tier positions.
Just felt I should point out and emphasize that Yoshi has 5 separate third jumps.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Z'z knows whats up.

Yoshi's recovery is one of the least of his worries. His double jump gives him amazing horizontal reach, and his current up-b gives decent vertical reach, and allows him to hover. He can get down to the ground in a jiffy with his down b as well. Couple that in with his amazing air mobility and he's pretty dang decent as for as making it back onto stage goes.

I just want a normal shield, maybe a better f-smash, and a useful side b and i'll be happy. Seriously, have ya'll seen the hitbox of his f-smash? Its much much worse then the animation makes it appear.

Pathetic.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
You do know his head is intangible... along with the fact we can also avoid moves just by using our smash attacks due to our hurtboxes moving when using/charging it on frame 2.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
This thread will be of people who don't play Yoshi, thinking they know how to fix him by making him more like other characters because they're easier to play as.

Anyway, his biggest problem is that his shield doesn't match his skin color.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yeah, really just make a few hitbox fixes (CUZ LIKE SUNNY SAID, IF MY HEAD GROWS ****TONS OF SIZES BIGGER, I WANT THAT THING TO REACH HELLA FAR!!! oh and I want his dtilt to reach as far as the tail goes), fix his shield, maybe give him back his melee dsmash, and boom, you'd have one fantastic character.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
This thread will be of people who don't play Yoshi, thinking they know how to fix him by making him more like other characters because they're easier to play as.
I hope your not referring to me. I gave up on the character awhile ago for lucario, but I know what holds him back, and how he's suppose to be played in his current condition.

Despite the nice "dodge" f-smash gives, its still situational as hell and doesn't flow well with the rest of yoshi's moveset. Its range and speed makes it good only for hard reads. Usable, but still really subpar. The hitbox is downright stupid for what the animation shows and a lil more reach would give yoshi a decent kill move from the side. Something he desperatly needs.

Lol. Z'z basically covered my "Fix yoshi wish list." Haha~

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Not sure why you're complaining about Yoshi's small hitbubbles just cause of his animation being bigger...
There's alot better examples you could be using, Like Snake and his hitbubbles being 2/3x the size of the actual animation.

Also, Fsmash is pretty crappy on shield hit too. So it's almost never good to use Fsmash...

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Oh ab-so-lut-ley~

Both snake and yoshi's hitbox's are dumb. Just while snakes are stupidly good, yoshi's is stupidly bad. Its not just the animation that bugs me, its like, I just want the guy too have a half decent f-smash thats not just wasting space on his moveset. You totally agree that f-smash is crud though, right? :>

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Z'z knows whats up.

Yoshi's recovery is one of the least of his worries. His double jump gives him amazing horizontal reach, and his current up-b gives decent vertical reach, and allows him to hover. He can get down to the ground in a jiffy with his down b as well. Couple that in with his amazing air mobility and he's pretty dang decent as for as making it back onto stage goes.
I can see where this is going, but it would just be good if Yoshi actually got a real third jump. At least that way, he'd still have a good chance to recover successfully if his mid-air jump gets used up.

On an interesting note, Mewtwo's mid-air jump is relatively similar to Yoshi's, but without the flinch resistance frames. But unlike Yoshi, Mewtwo has a real third jump, just in case its mid-air jump doesn't make the save.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
MSG, I dont think you understand. He HAS a third mid air jump, he actually has 5 of them. If Yoshi loses his double jump, HE HAS 5 MORE JUMPS.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Just because a move does not give amazing vertical distance does not mean it cannot function well as a recovery. Your underestimating the ability to stall in the air while throwing projectiles. If marth wasn't able to stall in the air with his side-b his recovery would be significantly worse. With his double jump armor, ability to stall in the air WHILE hurling eggs at the opponent, it becomes a difficult task to edgegaurd the guy from below. And whilst recovering high he can drop down instantly with down b (even snatch the ledge from far away with it) shift momentum in the other direction completely with a wavebounced egglay, or just abuse his superior air mobility to escape his foes.

He has a recovery.
A great one.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yoshi easily has one of the top 10 best recoveries in the game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
MSG, I dont think you understand. He HAS a third mid air jump, he actually has 5 of them. If Yoshi loses his double jump, HE HAS 5 MORE JUMPS.
Then I'm completely lost. I know that Egg Throw offers some third jump properties.

Help me out here, because I've NEVER heard Yoshi having "5" third jump options before; I've never played Smash Bros. in a competitive manner.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Make it so he's a resbectable character in ONE game he's featured in at least.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I am all for multiple revamps for moves. A third balloon jump from Galaxy/MarioU would be cool if it could be used offensively too. Instead of that awful egg roll give him the bubbles from MarioU as well. Aesthetically I would love 6 eggs to follow him around and well for throwing, oh and could they please bounce and richochet?

:phone:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Yoshi need a tether recovery with his tongue.

It´s already great,plus that,oh boy!! :p

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
Seeing the new game pro controller, they possibly could use the camera stick for his egg throws? It would be easier to input except the fact you wouldn't be able to use c-stick to smash anymore. Also, I think his second jump is fine as long as you have tap jump off. As for side B, I don't know what they could do better than egg roll. They possibly could make it control like Sonic's spin dash and not have it automatically pronounce you dead if you go off the edge with it. Lastly, I hope they give his skin more bright colour in the next game like Yoshi's Island and Touch & Go.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Useful egg roll plz
Is his egg roll a hindrance?
I always liked it cause it was slow and easy to keep up with. Plus unlike other shields it doesnt go down when he rolls...or does it? Can someone clarify for me?
I know that while a character is rolling they can be hit cuz the shield goes down but does this apply to yoshi to?

As for improvements for yoshi I think that if you hold down the jump button he should waddle his legs fast and glide. Yaknow like in the games?

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
I always liked it cause it was slow and easy to keep up with. Plus unlike other shields it doesnt go down when he rolls...or does it? Can someone clarify for me?
I know that while a character is rolling they can be hit cuz the shield goes down but does this apply to yoshi to?

As for improvements for yoshi I think that if you hold down the jump button he should waddle his legs fast and glide. Yaknow like in the games?
It's an automatic death if it goes off stage like DK's B and he can be attacked easily while rolling. The flutter jump might be a good idea, but I could see it being punished easily.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Then I'm completely lost. I know that Egg Throw offers some third jump properties.

Help me out here, because I've NEVER heard Yoshi having "5" third jump options before; I've never played Smash Bros. in a competitive manner.
When Yoshi uses Up B, he hops in the air while throwing an egg. For his first 5 Up B's, he has a hop, after that, he has no hop. Due to Yoshi's insane air speed, usually you dont even need his double jump to get back to the ledge as you can just use his Up B jumps to make it. For example, if you go off the side of FD at ledge height, and end up offscreen but not dead, 2 up b's will get you to the ledge, you dont even need your double jump. On top of that, if they somehow get through your eggs and try to hit you back out again, you still have 3 more up b's and a double jump with armor and the highest verticle increase of any double jump in the game left. Strictly speaking, Yoshi has a VERY good recovery and really doesnt need any improvement in that category. He'd much rather take buffs elsewhere as his recovery is quite solid.

I am all for multiple revamps for moves. A third balloon jump from Galaxy/MarioU would be cool if it could be used offensively too. Instead of that awful egg roll give him the bubbles from MarioU as well. Aesthetically I would love 6 eggs to follow him around and well for throwing, oh and could they please bounce and richochet?
As Yoshi is a veteran of the series since 64, I doubt they'll make any changes to his moveset at all, and if they do, it will be minor. The only veteran to get a change was Mario, and thats cuz they wanted to make Mario and Luigi less of clones, and they felt Luigi fit with Nado better so gave Mario FLUDD due to Sunshine being big at the time.

Yoshi need a tether recovery with his tongue.

It´s already great,plus that,oh boy!! :p
Yoshi's grab isnt so much a tether than it is a long range normal grab, otherwise he'd have a zair. Also, that would be weird looking.

Seeing the new game pro controller, they possibly could use the camera stick for his egg throws? It would be easier to input except the fact you wouldn't be able to use c-stick to smash anymore. Also, I think his second jump is fine as long as you have tap jump off. As for side B, I don't know what they could do better than egg roll. They possibly could make it control like Sonic's spin dash and not have it automatically pronounce you dead if you go off the edge with it. Lastly, I hope they give his skin more bright colour in the next game like Yoshi's Island and Touch & Go.
Keeping C stick as smashes is a MUCH better option, and the eggs already have a great control set up so they dont need any changing. As for Egg Roll, what they could do is allow you to have more momentum in the air, decrease startup time, and not put Yoshi in special fall afterwards, that would make the move fantastic.

Egg Roll isnt a shield at all, its just a moving hitbox, and any transcendent attack will beat it out just like any other move and hurt Yoshi, its just that it has the same priority as normal attacks and the hitbox covers most of Yoshi, so it usually trades or clanks instead of beating or blocking attacks.

Also, Roll dodges are invincible, you cant hit someone durring a roll, only during the start up and the end of it before the roll starts or after it ends. Yoshi's egg roll isnt a roll dodge, its an attack, so hes not invincible. Basically it acts as a dash attack that just keeps on going and can be controlled slightly.

And as for improvements, all he needs is to be able to jump out of shield, that alone would make him high tier probably. I mean, every other character in the game can jump out of shield, so why cant he?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Hmmm... I just thought of something interesting with Yoshi. What if, after using Egg Lay, using Yoshi's Up Special would throw the egg with the character inside of it? On stage, it goes until it hits the ground. Throwing the character off of the stage would be like PK Flash; it goes until it's parallel to where it was launched.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Sorry when I said "Egg Roll" I was reffering to his shield being an egg and when he rolls he remains in his shield unlike other characters. Also his shield doesn't shrink when hit which is a problem for big characters because if they are attacked where the shield doesn't cover them they take damage. And during the start and end of a roll characters are vulnerable because their shields are down. But I was wondering if this Applied to Yoshi who stays coiled up in his egg shield without leaving it.

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice

As Yoshi is a veteran of the series since 64, I doubt they'll make any changes to his moveset at all, and if they do, it will be minor. The only veteran to get a change was Mario, and thats cuz they wanted to make Mario and Luigi less of clones, and they felt Luigi fit with Nado better so gave Mario FLUDD due to Sunshine being big at the time.

I think it would be more due to the fact Yoshi hasn't seen many titles since Brawl and none that could really give anything new to the table. If the tablet controller is used in the next game, they could use the egg system or cloud idea from Yoshi Touch and Go, but I doubt it.

Yoshi's grab isnt so much a tether than it is a long range normal grab, otherwise he'd have a zair. Also, that would be weird looking.
Could use it to punish people who jump a lot as a catch grab and make it last longer than a ground grab. . .but yes, it would look silly. XD

Keeping C stick as smashes is a MUCH better option, and the eggs already have a great control set up so they dont need any changing. As for Egg Roll, what they could do is allow you to have more momentum in the air, decrease startup time, and not put Yoshi in special fall afterwards, that would make the move fantastic.
It's just an idea since he could also have more linear throws and also do throws behind him.

Also, Roll dodges are invincible, you cant hit someone durring a roll, only during the start up and the end of it before the roll starts or after it ends.
This is the answer to MetaKnight's Tornado. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom