• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
@TFPB:That would make Yoshi one of the scariest and most overpowered plankers in the game as he could use his best in game air speed to keep up with anyone, use his longest command grab in game, which beats out every option in the game besides air dodge which we could bait and punish them for using anyway, in mid air to then throw them off even further or even off the screen depending on where there were egg laid. So basically, while it sounds fun in theory and would be quite cool, it would mean needing a LOT of balancing changes on Yoshi side, most of which would be nerfs, in order to not make him overpowered. So while yes, that would be awesome, realistically I dont think its a good idea as it would overall mean Yoshi would need to lose a lot to compensate for his insane offstage game, then meaning hed be lacking even more than he already does in his defensive game which needs work, or have a big nerf in his offensive game which atm is pretty solid.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When Yoshi uses Up B, he hops in the air while throwing an egg. For his first 5 Up B's, he has a hop, after that, he has no hop. Due to Yoshi's insane air speed, usually you dont even need his double jump to get back to the ledge as you can just use his Up B jumps to make it. For example, if you go off the side of FD at ledge height, and end up offscreen but not dead, 2 up b's will get you to the ledge, you dont even need your double jump. On top of that, if they somehow get through your eggs and try to hit you back out again, you still have 3 more up b's and a double jump with armor and the highest verticle increase of any double jump in the game left. Strictly speaking, Yoshi has a VERY good recovery and really doesnt need any improvement in that category. He'd much rather take buffs elsewhere as his recovery is quite solid.
So basically, Yoshi can do up to "5" Egg Throws while in the air before he loses that move's third jump properties. At least I now know the story.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
That and he can throw in his double jump whenever he wants during it unlike guys like even MK who after using a recovery special cant double jump again if he still has some unless hit. Yoshi has the ability to mix up all those jumps in any order, which in itself is a HUGE advantage as he isnt forced to do one thing, which would make him predictable.

me9595

Smash Apprentice
I think the side-b egg roll shouldnt leave you in a helpless state when falling, so he could actually momentum cancel fully, like game and watch

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Guys, what do you think about him getting a wall jump possibly? It could help with his recovery somewhat as I can't imagine him getting anymore of a height boost from his egg throw.
Other stuff I'd like to see are:
1. Egg roll can't be broken so easily and he's not left in a helpless state when it goes off the edge.
2. Increase his running speed, he's the fastest Mario character, and almost as fast as Sonic in M&S Olympic series so this should happen :p and, it could help a little with our approaches?
3. Give him a normal shield maybe? I'm 50/50 about this. Also if they keep his egg shield make it better :p
4. Not really a gameplay improvement but, give him his Mario Sports appearances and movements/animations :bee:
5. And give him a parkour style roll!:awesome:
Opinions?

Diversity

Smash Rookie
If it were up to me, I'd just say that he should be given more recovery options on top of him not being able to get gimped so badly because of said terrible recovery options.

So maybe, a tether tongue? A different Up-B for him to recover in the air rather than his standing Up-B which would still throw and egg? Maybe both? But if one of the last 2 suggestions I made were implemented, his double jump would need to be toned down a bit.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If it were up to me, I'd just say that he should be given more recovery options on top of him not being able to get gimped so badly because of said terrible recovery options.

So maybe, a tether tongue? A different Up-B for him to recover in the air rather than his standing Up-B which would still throw and egg? Maybe both? But if one of the last 2 suggestions I made were implemented, his double jump would need to be toned down a bit.
You must've overlooked the conversation that I had with Z'zgashi, as he/she pretty much settled the deal that Yoshi's recovery is not as horrible as you'd think.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
He, also Yoshi has never wall jumped in any games that I know of... so no point in having something like that.
At least using his tongue for things was understandable since he did need to go to certain places by using it like in Yoshi Story for instance.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
May no ledge grab, but have Yoshi be able to eat physical projectiles with his B move with the option of launching them back.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
He, also Yoshi has never wall jumped in any games that I know of... so no point in having something like that.
At least using his tongue for things was understandable since he did need to go to certain places by using it like in Yoshi Story for instance.
True, but that's the case with a few other characters as well, and since he's athletic, well just a suggestion. :)
Yeah fair point. I personally can't imagine his tongue being used as a tether recovery, but that's just me :p It could work though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know, I was pretty much wondering how big Yoshi would be if he used his Mario Party 9 model for the Super Smash Bros. series. Apparently, no rescaling is needed, as he's supposed to be slightly shorter than Peach, and slightly taller than Mario.

Brawl Mario, MP9 Yoshi, & Brawl Peach

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
You know, I was pretty much wondering how big Yoshi would be if he used his Mario Party 9 model for the Super Smash Bros. series. Apparently, no rescaling is needed, as he's supposed to be slightly shorter than Peach, and slightly taller than Mario.

Brawl Mario, MP9 Yoshi, & Brawl Peach
Where'd you get this model from? :o And does it have working bones etc for brawl by any chance?

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi sucks in all 3 Smash games. He's only somewhat decent in Brawl and to a lesser extent, Smash64.
Also, that Yoshi model has been taken from Mario Party 9.

jigglover

Smash Lord
When you select Yoshi in the next game, a color spectrum should pop up, allowing you to choose the exact shade of the exact color you want him to be.
That is the best idea I've ever heard in my whole life. You would have t be able to turn it off though, since some people wouldn't want it.

Also, I just don't see Yoshi being heavy; he should be more around Mario's weight class.
Don't say that! That's one of the best things about him! Yes, it is unlogica, stupid and makes no sense whatsoever, but it gives him less knockback which can only be good!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You may want to stop double, no, triple posting...

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Considering how Yoshi's arm have grown, I'd like to see him punch in the next game.

Don't say that! That's one of the best things about him! Yes, it is illogical, stupid, and makes no sense whatsoever, but it gives him less knockback which can only be good!
Actually, it does make sense considering how many times he have to carry Red M's weight around.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
the only that needs to be improved on Yoshi is recovery, this is a hard fix though, you could do like the hookshot thing with his tongue, but that is still a minor improvement.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Wait...Yoshi's a DRAGON!?!

For the longest time, debate over the gender of yoshi was conducted...
But then, Smash Bros. revealed to us that not only was yoshi able to pass people through its system fully intact, but also that Yoshi was a Firebreathing Dragon!?! (...oh yeah and he could sprout wings and fly)

Makes me wonder what crazy idea they have in store for other characters. Like Kirby transforming into his Perfect Form, where he grows a Pink, Over Muscled, humanoid body.

I think to improve Yoshi's already amazing jump, you should be able to hold the jump button to make him waggle his feet and slow his falling speed, ya know like in yoshi's island. Release the jump button to drop at normal speed and hold it again to resume the foot waggling.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Yoshi should rightfully be heavier, imo. He's slightly taller then mario, but width wise hes alot more rounded. And That noes of his is about the size of mario's entire head. Thats gotta count for something. It can also be assumed that yoshi has incredibly powerful Leg muscle, and a strong heavy skull and jaw bone similar to a real dinosaur.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
the only that needs to be improved on Yoshi is recovery, this is a hard fix though, you could do like the hookshot thing with his tongue, but that is still a minor improvement.
Even without a tether though, Yoshi can do up to 5 Egg Throws before he can't get any more vertical ascension from the move. Like Z'zgashi said, Yoshi's recovery is not as bad as what people claim it to be.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Yoshi should rightfully be heavier, imo. He's slightly taller then mario, but width wise hes alot more rounded. And That noes of his is about the size of mario's entire head. Thats gotta count for something. It can also be assumed that yoshi has incredibly powerful Leg muscle, and a strong heavy skull and jaw bone similar to a real dinosaur.
Oh... good point, he's nose probably weighs more than gaw on its own.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
My names Yoshi and I approve of this thread. While I do like my egg as a shield, I feel excluded from a colorful shield as my other adversaries use. That makes me a sad Yoshi. :(
I do like the notion of selection a custom color for me.
Maybe a bit heavier in weight class. I feel as if I'm almost to easy onto get knocked back by heavy hitters.

:phone:

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I thought the 5th consecutive mid-air Egg Toss doesn't give a vertical boost; only prevents him from going down. :p

Anyways, please give him a normal shield (or a normal shield that can't be shieldstabbed XD), more range, more KO power and maybe a KO throw? Also I'd like is Egg Roll to have about 8% Heavy Armor and no longer leave him helpless in mid-air.

jigglover

Smash Lord
The lag with Yoshi's shield makes it so unusable, I don't really use it. Honestly I only use the side shield if I see Pikachu summoning a thunder.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Not important, but I remember that the Nintendo Power Player's Guide had a name for every attack that the characters had and used in Melee. Here is Yoshi's.

Weak Attacks

1-2: Left Kick, Right Kick

Strong Attacks

Upward: Tail Snap
Forward: Dino Kick
Downward: Tail Sweep

SMASH ATTACKS:

Upward: Jumping Headbutt
Forward: Noggin' Floggin'
Downward: Double Tail Whip

Dash Attack: Noggin' Knock

Aerial Attacks:

Center: Yoshi's Kick
Front: Noggin Dunk
Back: Tail Wag
Up: Dino Flip
Down: Flutter Kick

Special Attacks

Standard B: Egg Lay
Foward B: Egg Roll
Upward B: Egg Throw
Downward B: Yoshi Bomb(Hip Drop)

Grapples and Throw Downs

Pummel: Chew
Front: Spit Out
Back: Spit 'n' Spit
Up: Spit Up
Down: Jump 'n' Spit

Yeah, that sounds about right.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
The lag with Yoshi's shield makes him so unusable, I don't really use it. Honestly I only use the side shield if I see Pikachu summoning a thunder.
Yoshi

needs an airgrab off his B.
the B move eats them, turns them into an egg, but instead he throws it.
same shield as now, but let him F---- JUMP OUT OF IT, shieldstun is half of everyone elses.
double his weight.
down B needs more priority.
shrink his nose.
increase his grab speed
put heavy armor on all his arieals.
then do all of this for Bowser.

yoshi could be a super tank. he would be praw.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Yoshi's recovery is very good.

Yoshi needs the ability to jump from his shield like the others characters,needs a less lagged shieldgrab,better knockback on his KO moves and must be a little heavier,since he's a dino and does not makes sence he having less weight than a man(Snake),and a women with a armor(Samus) in Brawl.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ Yoshi's recovery isn't good. It doesn't go very far.

Overall, here's what I think Yoshi needs:
-More offense and moves with priority: Yoshi seems to lack the firepower offensively to be able to consistently compete in previous smash games. One way to change that is obviously to make more of his moves have more consistent success via more usefulness, range, speed, or power.
-A better shield: Please for the love of all that is HOLY IN THE WORLD, make Yoshi's timing with everything regarding his shield the same as with every other character. If anything about Yoshi's shield should be different from other characters (other than the looks), it should be that Yoshi's shield is either bigger, lasts longer, or have half of the shield stun as everyone's (shield stun).
-Give Yoshi a third jump (just like his other 2 jumps). Maybe Yoshi can "float," based on what he does in Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy 2.
-Make his neutral B as useful as it was in Smash 64... so long as people can't camp really well with it (unless someone really sucks at approaching). :laugh:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
^^^ Yoshi's recovery is amazingly good. It goes very far and is pretty safe.

Overall, here's what I think Yoshi needs:
-A better or normal shield.
-At least one good reliable kill move or kill setup (he has gr > usmash in brawl but only on part of the cast).
-A better or normal shield.

Thats it really. Anything more is just icing on the cake to make him even better. Those things alone would make him a great character.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I actually laugh at people saying yoshi's recovery is bad in brawl.
It was like,the best improve Yoshi received in the transition Melee -> Brawl.

-Make his neutral B as useful as it was in Smash 64... so long as people can't camp really well with it (unless someone really sucks at approaching). :laugh:
Yoshi neutral B is very useful,just see some videos of Delta-Cod and others good Yoshi mains you will understand.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yoshi's recovery did have problems in Melee, but at least Brawl fixed that up. Unfortunately, Yoshi's power got nerfed during the process.

If anything, Yoshi really needs to get back the power that his smash attacks had in Melee, especially for the d-smash.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Z
Luckily for me, I haven't played (a mod-less) Brawl in quite a long time. I wouldn't know a thing about Yoshi's recovery in that game. I haven't used Yoshi in a mod-less Brawl match probably since... well... 2009 or early 2010 when I used to play that game.

@ Luk
In Brawl, Yoshi's neutral B was fairly useful, I agree. However, I think the Smash 64 version was better, and would "work" more with Yoshi's play style.

Really, the ultimate problem with Yoshi is that Sakurai and co. can't decide offensively if he is a speedy moves character or a power character. In Brawl and Smash 64, he was the former, while in Melee, the latter. Personally, I think he should get some of his Melee strength (maybe 1-3 combined tilts and aerials), his Brawl recovery, some of his Smash 64 priority, and some of his overall strengths from each game.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Lol, no, really Yoshi's problem is not being able to shield safely. Like, if he had a normal shield, he'd instantly be better. Throw in a better kill move (like melee's dsmash) and boom, instant high tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom