• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I never understood why Yoshi's Egg Lay was bigger in the SSE, it should have the same range in both modes.

[COLLAPSE="Yoshi's Egg Lay Range Difference"]
[/COLLAPSE]

If he had the SSE range I think it'd be about as good as Samus Z-Air for spacing LOL

jigglover

Smash Lord
I've tried and tried for a use of egg lay in 1v1, and have struggled with it fruitlessly. Get rid of the other characters having priority, make it last for a time for a character specifically, and make the egg fall at that speed. Bowser would fall for 1 second, Pikachu would fall for 5 or something like that, just make it somehow useful people!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Jigglover, try DJC egg lay (Double Jump Cancel Egg Lay) and Wavebouncing egg lay. They let you jump far with it or retreat with in really fast and make it a great spacing tool

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
A double jump cancel is where you quickly press jump twice, making you jump, then do your double jump again directly after it, then right at the beginning or your double jump, you use egg lay, which will cancel out your double jump so you stay close to the ground. Use this while jumping towards or away from someone and if you do it fast enough, youll basically slide or more hover close to the ground into an egg lay. You can also switch directions with your jumps by jumping in the opposite way your moving at first, then using egg lay to throw people off and switch around the direction you use it immediately.

And you can wavebounce with the Wiichuck. To wave bounce an egg lay, you press b to egg lay, and directly after pressing b (you have to be really fast about it) press backwards in the opposite direction yoshi is facing. Its easiest to notice and apply while in the air. Just float in whatever direction you please, then press b and immediately tap in the opposite direction yoshi is facing, then youll instantly switch directions and egg lay.

Once you get those down, start combining the two together with DJC wave bounces, and even b reversals as well (basically the same as a wavebounce olnly you turn around without changing momentum) which are done the same way as a wavebounce, only you tap the opposite direction yoshi immediately BEFORE the egg lay instead of after. Basically, once you have all of that mastered, you can fly around in all kinds of crazy ways, just mess around with it and find ways you like best.

Also, any of yoshi's special, or b moves can be wavebounced, djc'd, and b reversed, and every character in the game's b moves can be wavebounced and b reversed as well. Some moves dont really benefit from it (like egg roll or yoshi bomb) but you can do all of these with egg toss as well, just egg lay works the best and is the most versatile. Its also easier to control than egg toss' so its better to practice with.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
No problem. They really arent too hard to do, but applying them and getting the feel to have them work exactly how you want them too takes practice.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I would love more egg throw control as opposed to the pre-determined throw paths

:wiiu:

DarkAres

Smash Rookie

You guys think Yoshi should get a new Final Smash? I know currently it's supposed to be a mix of the Red Yoshi and Blue Yoshi in World, but....I don't know, it feels kind of bland to me. Plus Diddy has the FS basically (though Yoshi's is more relevant).

But then what would they even change it to...one of the vehicles from Yoshi's Island? Giant Yoshi via Kamek's spell?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Here's a thought: what if in SSB4, he has Baby Mario of his back? If that were the case, maybe his FS could be the sper baby transformation from YI.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I never understood why Yoshi's Egg Lay was bigger in the SSE, it should have the same range in both modes.

[COLLAPSE="Yoshi's Egg Lay Range Difference"]
[/COLLAPSE]

If he had the SSE range I think it'd be about as good as Samus Z-Air for spacing LOL
Your picture is broken.

I would love more egg throw control as opposed to the pre-determined throw paths

:wiiu:
Melee Yoshi had better control because the throw range and height (mainly downwards) was immense. It'd definitely help Yoshi out more to have that kind of control in Smash 4.

Here's a thought: what if in SSB4, he has Baby Mario of his back? If that were the case, maybe his FS could be the sper baby transformation from YI.
Wouldn't be pointless to have Yoshi as a character then? The focus would be Baby Mario more than Yoshi as a character...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yoshi in the next game should use the best qualities of both his Melee and Brawl incarnations. Generally speaking that would be a step in the right direction.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The fact that each character can only have up to "6" palette swaps for one outfit pretty much makes this idea a long shot.
Not exactly, as they may expand that number. In SSB64, you could only select 4 colors per character. In Melee, you could choose between 4 to 6 colors depending on character. In Brawl, all characters except Pikachu, Pokémon Trainer, Lucario, Jigglypuff and Sonic had 6 colors. Wario had two outfits with 6 colors each, totalling 12 color/costume choices.

SSB4 could perfectly expand on that by having more than 6 costumes, much like how previous games kept expanding the number of colors. There's no sort of evidence to back up your argument, thus making it invalid.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Technically speaking, Yoshi had 6 palette swaps in Smash 64. However, the pink and purple variants were exclusively used for the Yoshi Team in single player.

Having a black and white color would be nice I suppose.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Technically speaking, Yoshi had 6 palette swaps in Smash 64. However, the pink and purple variants were exclusively used for the Yoshi Team in single player.

Having a black and white color would be nice I suppose.
Yeah, some characters had colors exclusive to Team Battles. I am aware of that. But the fact that we always had a maximum of 6 color per characters doesn't mean that we can't have more than 6 colors in future games.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Yoshi is one the characters whose colour palette should be customisable.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Would it be broken to give Yoshi immunity to footstooling during the initial and mid phases of his double jump?

Scatz

Smash Champion
Would it be broken to give Yoshi immunity to footstooling during the initial and mid phases of his double jump?

It's not hard to avoid getting footstooled. I'd rather them to give back a better trait (maybe parry) to boost his overall game.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
It's not hard to avoid getting footstooled. I'd rather them to give back a better trait (maybe parry) to boost his overall game.
I was just paint-balling ideas. Honestly, I just want his Melee egg throw freedom.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Like they should make the egg throws more powerful.... :yoshimelee:
I think the power is just fine as well as the knock-back. Perhaps the Egg Roll can be something more....effective? or buffed in damage???

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
I think Yoshi should be able to flutter jump like he did in Yoshi's Island, but only 3 times. So kind of like Kirby, Jigglypuff, etc.

If he has a better recovery with his flutter jumps his up b egg toss can be tweaked.
It should be like in Yoshi's Island where he holds an egg and you can move around and aim where you want to throw it.
This could be teamed up with his neutral b egg lay to toss the opponents quickly. Swallows them and lays them in an egg, quickly use up b next to it to use the their egg, aim and quickly throw before they pop out.

His neutral b should be able to swallow items and turn them into eggs that follow Yoshi around. He can have up to 3, and throw them with his egg toss. He swallows a Home Run Bat, when the egg explodes the Home Run Bat pops out and does extra damage. Swallows a bom-omb, tosses it and the egg explodes like the bom-omb would if thrown.
How satisfying would it be to swallow a bom-omb someone throws at you, quickly make it into an egg and toss it back at them.

Opponents can target the eggs following Yoshi and break them open, revealing the items.

I like egg roll, they just need to make it a more effective and useful move because I barely use it.

Ground pound is perfect and can stay the same.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think Yoshi should be able to flutter jump like he did in Yoshi's Island, but only 3 times. So kind of like Kirby, Jigglypuff, etc.

If he has a better recovery with his flutter jumps his up b egg toss can be tweaked.
You kind of have to keep his jump the way it is. His second jump is what gives him the height he needs. His Up B gives him distance.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One thing that would be appreciated is the ability to have infinite angles with the Egg Toss again akin to Melee, but also have the momentum boost from Brawl.

Yoshi would really benefit if he used his best qualities from every game in my opinion.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
It would be nice to see guaranteed follow-ups to neutral-b (after they break out of the egg) assuming you read their DI correctly. It's annoying that you typically can't get anything off of one

it'd be really neat if you could make floored down-b stay on the same x-coordinate or perform it regularly, allowing different options for thing like reads/baits

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
OoS options, better smash hitboxes and greater KO power, and more knockback on bair, and he's good. I love Yoshi, so much fun to play as and kick ass with, he's just let down by a lack of effective finishing moves; not as bad as Sonic, but bad enough for a character who is slower.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Not much needs to be changed with Yoshi. Quick suggestions
  • Let him jump out of shield
  • Make the duration of players being in eggs longer
  • Let his tongue be a tether recovery

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I like the idea of using his tongue as tether recovery. It'd be cool. If we do get more than 6 colors per character, Yoshi should get both the black and white colors from Yoshi's Story. I'd also like to see his Egg Roll become a bit easier to control.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Had an interesting idea. What if you could side b out of shield, and shield out of side b? You'd have a great and really safe approach. Imagine doing a side b and then inputting a shield grab so you slide really far while doing it. Or using side b Oos to escape from pressure before rolling back and grabbing the opponent.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Had an interesting idea. What if you could side b out of shield, and shield out of side b? You'd have a great and really safe approach. Imagine doing a side b and then inputting a shield grab so you slide really far while doing it. Or using side b Oos to escape from pressure before rolling back and grabbing the opponent.
Improving both his heavily criticized and predictable Side B and his shield at the same time. I approve. Why hasn't this been done yet? Yoshi would become instant beast mode with a super mobile shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom