• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Egg Roll needs to be cancellable into his shield or vice versa.

Yoshi also needs to put his enemies in eggs for a longer period of time. In Brawl, enemies broke out almost as soon as they touched they ground.

His Yoshi Bomb could also use a bit more power.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Egg Roll cancel into Shield being a bad idea?
Unless you main Yoshi I don't wanna read another post from you.
Says the man with ponies all over the place. Unless you a pre-pubescent girl, I don't want to see you post.

Cancles are bad because they are made for a small group of players and undermined the game for everyone else. They are bad news no matter what.

Now get rid of the ponies. You're embarrassing yourself.
EDIT: Hah, you are you girl. That's a first(.......sadly)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I kind of had the following though, involving Yoshi's Egg Lay move...

Egg Lay gets changed into Tongue Grab, where once Yoshi grabs an opponent with his tongue, he can either turn that opponent into an egg, or spit him/her out like a cannon. The opponent's current damage affects how long Yoshi can keep him/her in his mouth.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Says the man with ponies all over the place. Unless you a pre-pubescent girl, I don't want to see you post.

Cancles are bad because they are made for a small group of players and undermined the game for everyone else. They are bad news no matter what.

Now get rid of the ponies. You're embarrassing yourself.
EDIT: Hah, you are you girl. That's a first(.......sadly)
You're really going to insult somebody for liking ponies? AND believe a gender over an online forum? Dunno if you're 14 or what, but anyways being able to cancel Egg roll for Shield means you can do stuff like Egg rolling off a platform and Airdodging out of it and being able to do anything, Or for another example just shielding attacks then all of a sudden egg rolling without having to popout of his horrible 17 frame shield THEN inputting controls for Egg roll.
I think brawl Minus or something has Egg roll cancelling, but I'd be damned to look.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

You know, people can just simply learn to use the technique from simply practicing. Let people figure out how their character plays, like how a player should in any typical game.

Seriously dude, why are you so desperate to turn Super Smash Bros. into Angry Birds?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You're really going to insult somebody for liking ponies? AND believe a gender over an online forum?
On Ponies: Men should not be watching a show about Ponies and friendship. Your an embarrassment if you do. Also, are you trying to imply you are one of those sissy men?

Dunno if you're 14 or what, but anyways being able to cancel Egg roll for Shield means you can do stuff like Egg rolling off a platform and Airdodging out of it and being able to do anything, Or for another example just shielding attacks then all of a sudden egg rolling without having to popout of his horrible 17 frame shield THEN inputting controls for Egg roll.
I think brawl Minus or something has Egg roll cancelling, but I'd be damned to look.
The Egg Roll is meant for big brawls so it doesn't need it anyway. As for why it's bad to begin with, see below.

You know, people can just simply learn to use the technique from simply practicing. Let people figure out how their character plays, like how a player should in any typical game.
Most people don't sit there and learn a video game. They have lives and jobs. Games need to be fun and easy to get into. This is true of the most successful games ever made. Smash Bros is made with the mind set of being very easy to pick up and play. Cancles removes this. Players, first, have to know it's there and then practice to use it. So it gives players who can use it an advantage (same for things like Wavedashing, though this is one a lesser scale). The game becomes biased towards players who have too much time on their hands. Io make a game be open, you can't do this.

The reason I have yet to meet someone who is successful in competitive games and other aspects of life is because successful people don't have time to get at a video game. My mentor (who is a real estate mogul) is busy 6 days a week. He would not have time to play the game that SmashBoards wants. Probably not much need for competitive aspects.

Seriously dude, why are you so desperate to turn Super Smash Bros. into Angry Birds?
Competitive players only see in black and white. It's either competitive or Mario Party. Is there no in between with you guys?

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I'm pretty sure real estate is for sissy men. Get into construction or bodybuilding or NASCAR. Something that needs balls to be good at.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I definitely agree with you, SmashChu... The competitive devotees of Smash Bros. will be able to give the game competitive gameplay regardless of how simple it is, while it's super important for the game to be accessible. People who aren't already really into games like Street Fighter don't want to start playing it because they see people playing it who've spent hours and hours in the training mode mastering frames, cancels, memorizing combo sequences until it's muscle memory and a number of other techniques that are dependent on fanaticism instead of people just playing the game.

People played Smash Bros N64 competitively... you don't need to complicate things to appeal to tournament players.

I think what sets Smash apart from other fighters is that it's very clear what every move does. It's simple and beautiful... I don't really get why people want to turn it into every other fighter when those already exist.

@Espy Rose: I clicked on your profile because I wanted to see your picture closer... two questions. Is the pony covered in snow? I really don't mean to offend with this, but out of context it kind of looks like she's covered in... well. Some other white substance. Other question: How the heck did you get so many followers?

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
@Espy Rose: I clicked on your profile because I wanted to see your picture closer... two questions. Is the pony covered in snow? I really don't mean to offend with this, but out of context it kind of looks like she's covered in... well. Some other white substance. Other question: How the heck did you get so many followers?
There are lots of pastries in the background, so I would assume it is frosting.

On topic, the main thing I'd like for Yoshi in the next installment is a buff to his standard B move. It doesn't do much now, as characters hardly stay trapped in the egg for more than a second, even when they have a decently high amount of damage. His Down B move is also a little weak in knockback power, which makes it risky because it leaves him pretty open when he hits the ground. Giving that a buff would also be nice.

Other than that, I enjoy playing as Yoshi in Brawl. He's a sub-main of mine.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
There are lots of pastries in the background, so I would assume it is frosting.

On topic, the main thing I'd like for Yoshi in the next installment is a buff to his standard B move. It doesn't do much now, as characters hardly stay trapped in the egg for more than a second, even when they have a decently high amount of damage. His Down B move is also a little weak in knockback power, which makes it risky because it leaves him pretty open when he hits the ground. Giving that a buff would also be nice.

Other than that, I enjoy playing as Yoshi in Brawl. He's a sub-main of mine.

Oh, those are pastries? Darn these useless eyes of mine, I thought they were snow drifts. I do still wonder how she got hundreds of followers, though... it's impressive, assuming it's not hoards of dudes going "whoa female smash player omg i'll follow her anywhere".

I would like it if Yoshi could use his up+B when next to an egged enemy and throw them. A fun little combo that'd give you another option.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I definitely agree with you, SmashChu... The competitive devotees of Smash Bros. will be able to give the game competitive gameplay regardless of how simple it is, while it's super important for the game to be accessible. People who aren't already really into games like Street Fighter don't want to start playing it because they see people playing it who've spent hours and hours in the training mode mastering frames, cancels, memorizing combo sequences until it's muscle memory and a number of other techniques that are dependent on fanaticism instead of people just playing the game.

People played Smash Bros N64 competitively... you don't need to complicate things to appeal to tournament players.

I think what sets Smash apart from other fighters is that it's very clear what every move does. It's simple and beautiful... I don't really get why people want to turn it into every other fighter when those already exist.
This guy gets it.

There is nothing innately wrong with having some tournaments. Or even being competitive. The problems comes when you demand it be made for your taste and not see the other side of the coin. Also, don't waste to much time with competitive video games. You still have to put bread on the table.

I'm pretty sure real estate is for sissy men. Get into construction or bodybuilding or NASCAR. Something that needs balls to be good at.
I feel you have no idea how Real Estate works. Let's see you do a rehab or buy Storage Facilities with no money down.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I have to assume the real estate jab was a joke. Anything investment based is super ballsy.

Anyway, back to the Yoshster... What do people think of the idea of using the Up+B after egging someone with the neutral+B to throw your enemy away?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Anyway, back to the Yoshster... What do people think of the idea of using the Up+B after egging someone with the neutral+B to throw your enemy away?
Clever idea, but I always say keep it simple. Given, his B move should be better.

Scatz

Smash Champion
On Ponies: Men should not be watching a show about Ponies and friendship. Your an embarrassment if you do. Also, are you trying to imply you are one of those sissy men?

The Egg Roll is meant for big brawls so it doesn't need it anyway. As for why it's bad to begin with, see below.

Most people don't sit there and learn a video game. They have lives and jobs. Games need to be fun and easy to get into. This is true of the most successful games ever made. Smash Bros is made with the mind set of being very easy to pick up and play. Cancles removes this. Players, first, have to know it's there and then practice to use it. So it gives players who can use it an advantage (same for things like Wavedashing, though this is one a lesser scale). The game becomes biased towards players who have too much time on their hands. Io make a game be open, you can't do this.

The reason I have yet to meet someone who is successful in competitive games and other aspects of life is because successful people don't have time to get at a video game. My mentor (who is a real estate mogul) is busy 6 days a week. He would not have time to play the game that SmashBoards wants. Probably not much need for competitive aspects.

Competitive players only see in black and white. It's either competitive or Mario Party. Is there no in between with you guys?
While I'm not fond of ponies, there's no reason to be bashing him for his own choice. It's ignorant, and shows that you'd rather personally attack someone rather than prove that his statement was wrong.

Anything at a high level of play requires time put into it as doing the workforce in real life. Just because you can't put the time into it doesn't mean the games need to be catered to you so that the second you pick the game up, you're automatically a top level player. Video games are of no exception in terms of practice, experience, and research compared to real life work. The ONLY difference is that games don't make money like jobs do (in the USA at least). You always have choices, and if you wanted to be a top level player in a fighting game, then you have to put in the time to BE good. You're a nobody until you've proven that you've done the work, which is the same thing jobs do in the workforce. It's YOUR choice to go get a regular job and make money over trying to become a top level player to ALSO make money.

The problem with you is that you think cancels, or anything tech skill related for that matter, is extremely hard and disrupting when trying to get into a game, which isn't the case for the most part. Cancels are be dirt easy to use or extremely hard (depends on the developers). Remember Metaknight's downB? You can cancel that move into an attack instead of just coming out without doing anything. There's no strings attached to that move; no 1-frame links, not a lot of button presses (you're only pushing 1 button to make the cancel!). So, why is it that you find Yoshi canceling into a shield after his egg roll such an inane decision? You're only pushing one single button to make the cancel happen. It's not like he's saying, "Can we make Yoshi be able to cancel into his shield while egg rolling and then with the correct inputs and timing, have Yoshi do a SRK so that we have an extremely safe option in case we get pinned down?" You're over exaggerating.

While I don't speak for all competitive players, and I certainly don't generalize casual players, we see much more than you can currently see. Right now, you're lumping us in this black and white scenario (casual vs competitive, people with time vs people with no time). What you're doing is just like every other braindead person who doesn't want games to stimulate the mind and force you to think. You just want stuff given to you on a silver platter because you turned on the game. It's the same thing that's happening to the quality in the workforce, our games, movies, and other things. We definitely see much more than black and white and want people to feel as if they want to improve at something. Games that actually have skill gaps work just like the education system, making step by step improvements by taking on better people and technical skills and learning more about the game's mechanics to become better and more refined. If you don't want to put in the work for it, that's fine. There's plenty of other people who are like that; people that like random elements to decide whether you get to win today or not.

What's your point? People will try to make anything competitive, but it doesn't mean that it isn't deemed for optimal competitive play. HUMANS are naturally competitive. Games only give the tools to help optimize for competitive play, just like how sports and jobs work. The barrier for smash was never extreme that you are implicating. Even Melee never had an extreme entry barrier. Yet, it was a fairly big curve to becoming a competitive player. When you guys make these reasons as to why you don't want to get into the game, do you guys never realize that sports and real life jobs are EXACTLY the SAME? The moment you get into the workforce, there's someone that's going to know A LOT more than you to the point where they can run circles around you. There's nothing different about getting into a game competitively than it is with sports and jobs.

With that SSB64 comment, I highly doubt you understand the technical skill that was required in that game to be that competitive. As technical as Street Fighter was, SSB64 was had a fairly high technical barrier before getting into the competitive scene. Hell, the technical skill gaps across almost all games have been watered down in the most recent years. In SSB64, you could die if you got hit once if the player knew what he was doing. In brawl, almost every time you get hit, you have a chance to get out safely if you read your opponent's next move. Older games are ruthless compared to now, and most people don't even realize it.

What sets smash apart is that it's a different feel than the slow paced Street Fighter game. It's less chaotic and random than Marvel vs Capcom, its less complex than King of Fighters, it's less technical demanding than Virtual Fighter or Starcraft. There's less strategy needed than Halo, CoD, LoL, or Starcraft. It's basically a little of everything without having imbalances from those types of qualities found in other games. Of course, each game has overlapping qualities, but those stand out much more.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
While I'm not fond of ponies, there's no reason to be bashing him for his own choice. It's ignorant, and shows that you'd rather personally attack someone rather than prove that his statement was wrong.
Grown men shouldn't watch a show about pink ponies made for for little girls. He also shouldn't tell people he watches the pony show. They is saying "Hey everyone. I;m a loser. Please stuff me in a locker." The pony posters or girls. Let's hope they are telling the truth.

Anything at a high level of play requires time put into it as doing the workforce in real life. Just because you can't put the time into it doesn't mean the games need to be catered to you so that the second you pick the game up, you're automatically a top level player. Video games are of no exception in terms of practice, experience, and research compared to real life work. The ONLY difference is that games don't make money like jobs do (in the USA at least). You always have choices, and if you wanted to be a top level player in a fighting game, then you have to put in the time to BE good. You're a nobody until you've proven that you've done the work, which is the same thing jobs do in the workforce. It's YOUR choice to go get a regular job and make money over trying to become a top level player to ALSO make money.
Most people are not going to commit the same amount of time as a job. So the game should be made so you don't HAVE to spend that much time into it. So the game should eliminate barriers, or time sinks. Fighting games look their time sinks. Smash doesn't. This is why it is a bigger game

Games that actually have skill gaps work just like the education system, making step by step improvements by taking on better people and technical skills and learning more about the game's mechanics to become better and more refined.
People don't want games to be like school idiot. People go to school to better their lives. Competitive video games don't better your life. This is why Smash is a huge success and the rest of the genre struggles.

Cancles are bad because they are for the wrong type of player. You got to make games for the masses.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Cancles are bad because they are for the wrong type of player. You got to make games for the masses.
I don't want to get into an argument, but I cringed when I read this one.

Cancels are incredibly easy to pull off. Seriously, is pressing a button or two after a move so much work? :laugh:

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Smashchu, skill ceiling=/= skill floor. If someone casual like me myself doesn't want to put in the time to fully master a game, they don't have to. Just as long as the basics of the game are easy, they're happy. But that doesn't mean you have to lower how good you can possibly get at a game to their level. Casuals are unaffected by that. Cancels, strategy, etc don't affect them. They'll just stay at the lower level, not bothering to learn if they don't want to. But a competitive player is affected by that- they need lots of room to grow. It is stupid to piss them off for no reason, when casuals don't care one bit about these things. Even if they are a minority, they are still a group of people that buy games, and no one wants to lose money.
And cancels really aren't complicated. In this case, it'd just be hitting >b, then hitting shield whenever you want. It's about as challenging as jumping and then up B-ing. And if you're so set on removing cancels so the people who put time into the game are at the same level as you, remember that grabbing, jumping, rolling, and dodging Oos are all cancels too. How do you think any character would fare if shields were made completely useless like that?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I just want the game to be able to read my mind so I don't even have to do anything but think when I play a game. Then I can be as good as anyone else without needing to do anything.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
New Yoshi Change: He should be able to cancel his B moves, A moves, and grabs into anything. And he should be able to cancel his cancels into cancels.
Just so Smash Chu goes berserk.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Sounds like ***** work, Smashchu. But it's okay. Sit behind your desk all day and be a ***** *****.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Smashchu, skill ceiling=/= skill floor. If someone casual like me myself doesn't want to put in the time to fully master a game, they don't have to. Just as long as the basics of the game are easy, they're happy. But that doesn't mean you have to lower how good you can possibly get at a game to their level. Casuals are unaffected by that. Cancels, strategy, etc don't affect them. They'll just stay at the lower level, not bothering to learn if they don't want to.
Removing barriers also means removing time sinks. I shouldn't have to sit down and practice. I should be able to jump in and learn that way. So techniques should not be foreign to the base of the game, which cancels, combos and other advance techniques are.

Players are very much effect by this. This is an online game afterall. The day of advance techniques being unknown is gone.

But a competitive player is affected by that- they need lots of room to grow. It is stupid to piss them off for no reason, when casuals don't care one bit about these things. Even if they are a minority, they are still a group of people that buy games, and no one wants to lose money.And cancels really aren't complicated. In this case, it'd just be hitting >b, then hitting shield whenever you want. It's about as challenging as jumping and then up B-ing. And if you're so set on removing cancels so the people who put time into the game are at the same level as you, remember that grabbing, jumping, rolling, and dodging Oos are all cancels too. How do you think any character would fare if shields were made completely useless like that?
It goes both ways. There has to be a level playing field. Cancles and other techniques give players an advantage based on timing and knowledge. There is also little to no point in having it.
Competitive players don't need anything. There are more fans of Smash who are not competitive. And pleasing competitive players ruins the experience for everyone else (which is why competitive games struggle). Not to mention a lot of gamers are hostile to competitive gaming. The focus should always be on the masses. Competitive players will still get the game and play how they want. The experience needs to be good for the majority of players. It is when you listen to a vocal minority that you get into trouble.

Competitive players don't need anything. Smart design says that make what you can for the masses. The small groups of players will play how they want. Just look at Brawl.

Sounds like ***** work, Smashchu. But it's okay. Sit behind your desk all day and be a ***** *****.
Wow, you seem really upset.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm actually confused. Who exactly is SmashChu fighting for? Both casuals and competitives are disagreeing with him, lol.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I would love if Yoshi's side b was more....useful? I mean if you can quickly cancel his side b, his horizontal mobility will be buffed greatly, but I think having something else may benefit him a bit more.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I'm actually confused. Who exactly is SmashChu fighting for? Both casuals and competitives are disagreeing with him, lol.
Neither. He's constantly contradicting himself when stating his reasoning. I think he favors the casual audience more, but isn't able to make concrete reasons to back his claims up. He just wants things to be forced instead of having a choice. Not only that, but he doesn't understand the definition of fun is subjective. I can't debate with a person who's extremely hypocritical.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
He also doesn't understand that people actually have ways to improve in video games. :applejack:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I would love if Yoshi's side b was more....useful? I mean if you can quickly cancel his side b, his horizontal mobility will be buffed greatly, but I think having something else may benefit him a bit more.
Perhaps the ability to jump while using his Side B? Kind of like Sonic. It would help make the move less predictable.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Perhaps the ability to jump while using his Side B? Kind of like Sonic. It would help make the move less predictable.
That would be great actually.
You know what would also be cool depending on execution? Is if Yoshi was able to have increased movement in is Side B and in the air. So he kinda falls diagonally instead of straight down in the egg.

Or if Yoshi's Side B functioned like this while falling: (5:29) almost like an egg comet.
[collapse=5:29]
*skip to 5:29[/collapse]
idk just spit balling...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Whoosh, lost all my respect right there. I could read all the other nonesense, but I had to stop here, can't take the macho pride and personal insults seriously.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't see why you can't just jump in and play even if there are cancels. You don't have to do them.
No, but other players will use them on you. You are at a disadvantage for not using it or not knowing it. To compete, you need to do it. This is why competitive features almost always hurt the game and why Smash has succeed without them.

Most "casual" players don't post on Smashboards. The people arguing with me are all from a competitive mindset.

Neither. He's constantly contradicting himself when stating his reasoning. I think he favors the casual audience more, but isn't able to make concrete reasons to back his claims up. He just wants things to be forced instead of having a choice. Not only that, but he doesn't understand the definition of fun is subjective. I can't debate with a person who's extremely hypocritical.
I haven't contradicted myself. I'm repeating myself. The back talk is a result of the fact you can't argue my point but find some other way to rationalize how I'm wrong.

My point is simple: Most people care very little for skill depth, so why should the game developer? The game should fit into people's already busy lives. So it should be easy to jump in and learn so I can start playing. The reason competitive gamers are never accountants, investors, doctors or lawyers is because they work their time around the game. So they don't have enough time to do those things.

Also, most people don't care about competitive gaming, which is why it pays so low.

Whoosh, lost all my respect right there. I could read all the other nonesense, but I had to stop here, can't take the macho pride and personal insults seriously.
Let's try a social experiment. Go to a crowded public place. Wear a shirt with a pony on it and bring a toy. Then shout out "I love My Little Pony". See how many people take you seriously.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
No, but other players will use them on you. You are at a disadvantage for not using it or not knowing it. To compete, you need to do it. This is why competitive features almost always hurt the game and why Smash has succeed without them.
>Implying casuals play against competitives. I honestly doubt that.

Also bashing him on his love for ponies (a VERY subjective topic) is like dictatorship. Just don't force your viewpoint on others. If wants to love ponies, let him do so. Now seriously, why should he be giving a **** about others' opinions on that? It's his choice.

Also, every game inherently has a minimum level of skill depth. Even Angry Birds and Mario Party (or Dillon's Rolling Western, as a more familiar example for that matter) need a minimum amount of practice to become good at the game.

People enjoy a good challenge. Anything which doesn't need skill becomes boring quickly. Now really, if people wanted to "just jump in and enjoy", the RPG genre would never have been as successful as it is today.

Even funnier that you like Xenoblade and Shulk, which is supposed to have a whopping 100 hours of playtime. Hypocritical much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom