• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No you can't apply sadly like you can for stuph like Backrooms.
Also I had you on skype ferever ago but think you deleted a bunch of us or something.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher

Hello everyone! Following im just peachy's own thread for Peach:4peach: as a rough base for this thread, I decided to make a similar thread for Yoshi and a general overview of his currently known moveset.

I've personally always been a big, BIG fan of Yoshi, and even though he's rarely amongst the higher ranked characters in the Smash series, I have always stuck with the green dinosaur and will continue to do so in the Wii U and 3DS outings of Super Smash Bros.

I do believe the majority of Yoshi's moveset is pretty much known by now, especially with all the demo footage we've been having. Of course I'm only one person doing this, so any help with things I may have missed are very welcome!

And as stated above, credit to im just peachy for the general thread layout I'll be using, though I might use some of my own ideas as well. Let's get on with it now, shall we?

Also of note: it has also been shown that Yoshi is now standing more upright, but as far as I can personally tell, this only counts for his idle stance and not so much his general movement. Moves with an asteric (*) are moves that have a (slight) change in them from Brawl.

Topic created: August 04, 2014
Last Update: August 22, 2014

:GCA:Standard Attacks:GCA:
Kick Combo (Standard Jab)*
:GCA:
Note: This move has been changed to have 3 kicks instead of just 2!

Tail Sweep (Forward Tilt)
:GCL:+:GCA:
or
:GCR:+:GCA:
Note: Can be angled!

Tail Flick (Up Tilt)
:GCU:+:GCA:

Tail Swipe (Down Tilt)

:GCD:+:GCA:
down tilt.png

Dash Kick (Dash Attack)*
:GCR::GCR::GCA:
or
:GCL::GCL::GCA:

:GCCN:Smashes:GCCN:
Headbutt (Forward Smash)
:GCCR:/tap:GCR:+:GCA:
or
:GCCL:/tap:GCL:+:GCA:
Note: Can be angled!

forward smash.png

Flip Kick (Up Smash)*
:GCCU:

or
tap:GCU::GCA:

Tail Smash (Down Smash)
:GCCD:
or
tap:GCD:+:GCA:

:GCY:Aerials:GCX:
Sex Kick (Neutral Air)
:GCX:/:GCY:+:GCN::GCA:

Nose Slam (Forward Air)

:GCX:/:GCY:+:GCR::GCA:
or
:GCX:/:GCY:+:GCL::GCA:

Flutter Kick (Down Air)*
:GCX:/:GCY:+:GCD::GCA:
Note: Confirmed to push opponents away when used on grounded opponents upon landing, making it safer to use! After watching a more recently uploaded gameplay video, I have also found that the knockback on grounded opponents is also fairly decent! Not enough to make it a reliable killing move on grounded opponents, but should certainly make it even safer than we first thought.

Tail Flick (Up Air)

:GCX:/:GCY:+:GCU::GCA:
up air.png

Tail Wag (Back Air)*
:GCX:/:GCY:+:GCL::GCA:
or
:GCX:/:GCY:+:GCR::GCA:
Note: This attack now has 3 swipes, with a stronger final swipe.

:GCB:Specials:GCB:
Egg Lay (Standard Special)
:GCN::GCB:

Egg Roll (Forward Special)

:GCR:+:GCB:
or
:GCL:+:GCB:
Note: It has been confirmed that Yoshi will no longer go helpless after canceling this move in the air!

Egg Toss/Throw (Up Special)*
:GCU:+:GCB:
Note: Rainbow effect added, and seems to give only 3 boosts in the air instead of 5 (although I believe the first boost is larger at least). Also seems to allow Yoshi to change airial momentum during the move!

Ground Pound (Down Special)
:GCD:+:GCB:

:GCB:Custom Special Moves:GCB:
Heavy Egg Roll (Down Special)

W-WHAT?! Heavy Egg Roll? Down Special?! But Yoshi's Egg Roll is his SIDE Special! Yes, I'm just as confused as you are. The only possible explanation I can give you is that this is either a typo in the demo, or that Ground Pound and Egg Roll switched places in Yoshi's moveset, which I don't think is the case or we would have heard about that from demo players. Details as they come!

:GCZ:Grabs:GCZ:
Standard Grab
:GCZ:

Idle during Grab

:GCB:Final Smash:4yoshi:

:GCUL:Other Actions!:GCCUR:
Idle Stance

Flutter Jump
:GCX:
/:GCY: while in the air

or
:GCL::GCL:

:GCLT:
/:GCRT:

:GCDpad:Taunts:GCDpad:
Yoshi Dance (Up Taunt)

Tail Chase (Side Taunt)

Yoshi Yoshi! (Down Taunt)

Alternate Palettes and Costumes!

Confirmed Palettes/Costumes so far!

With Yoshi being a dinosaur and usually not really wearing much else other than his standard boots and saddle, there aren't a whole lot of choices regarding Yoshi's possible wardrobe for alternate costumes. However, Yoshi DOES have a whole plethora of alternate colors he could possibly choose from, and there still ARE several costumes that Yoshi could possibly have, even if these are usually just found in sports outings. I will post the most commonly requested options down below!

As I mentioned above, there are many colors of Yoshi. The ones who have previously already appeared in Super Smash Bros are green, red, yellow, blue, cyan, and pink. However, there are also black, white, orange, purple and brown Yoshi colors. And then there's also the recent magenta colored Yoshi in New Super Mario Bros. U, although this one is arguably just a dark colored pink Yoshi, similar to how there are differently tinted green Yoshis.

The Super Mario Strikers series has ALL the characters wear special gear to match the soccer gameplay, and with Yoshi being playable, of course he gets his own attire as well. Both games in the series have had their own versions of the outfit, but the second game's outfit is clearly a more combat friendly outfit! Not that this will really have any effects on how Yoshi plays in Smash.

One of my personal favourite choices, I would love to see any of these outfits make it into Smash for Yoshi, especially either the Cowboy or Wizard outfits.

This is probably the most likely alternate outfit Yoshi will get, if any, being his Yarn itteration of the upcoming Wii U game, Yoshi's Woolly World. They would probably have to do some adjustments, since this version of Yoshi seems to have even smaller arms than usual and has no hands (although that hasn't stopped Kirby or Jigglypuff from grabbing stuff). Either way, this would be a lovely outfit for Yoshi to have!

This is probably THE most requested outfit for Yoshi to get; this badass, sunglasses wearing Yoshi from Super Mario RPG would be one heck of a popular costume. The problem with this one is, if this one would come in, people would expect Geno to become playable as well, and that is probably a good enough reason for Sakurai to keep this one out. Never give up hope, though!

This one will very likely just be an alternate color than a true model swap, but it's an interesting choice nontheless as this can basically be seen as the 'Dark' version of Yoshi. No, I don't see Boshi as such, because all 'Dark' characters thus far have been created to mimic the original in some way, and as far as I know, Boshi was 'born', not 'created', unlike Yoob. (At least, if that factory in his stomach is anything to go by.)

This is.. probably my personal least favourite choice, because I personally don't really like Birdo all that much, but I know Birdo still has its fans, and the only way for Birdo to possibly get in is for it to be an alternate costume for Yoshi. The problem though is that Birdo's never really shown to have a Yoshi-like tongue, and it would be very weird to see one swooping out of that mouth.. nose.. whatever that is, and the only thing Birdo really seems to have in common is that they're both dinosaur like creatures who are about the same height, never shown to really have any of the same moves. Heck, Birdo even SPITS eggs, whereas Yoshi LAYS them. Still, I didn't want to exclude Birdo from this list.

This is probably one of the more out-there ideas, but they're still official costumes (although they were only silly mere-second costumes), Japan had this commercial back in the day for Mario Paint, and it features Yoshi wearing the two pictured costumes in that commercial. It's unlikely that Yoshi will get these; but hey, if Mario can get the NES Open Golf Tournament costume as a palette swap, I can see Sakurai going out of his way to add one of these as a costume. Will probably lack the paintbrush and baton though!

Other Possibilities!

This is simply a little idea I came up with while making this section, and it's probably a silly one. But, well, Yoshi has had a bit of an evolution over the years, and two of his earliest sprites has shown him with some notable differences.. other than the hunched over stance Yoshi is already confirmed not to have anymore. In Super Mario World sprites, Yoshi seemed to have orange arms, whereas in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Yoshi lacked any visable legs, Rayman style. These would make for pretty silly alternates/colorations and probably don't have any favour over any of the above choices, but I figured I'd still list these anyway.

:yoshi:amiibo!:4yoshi:
Of course, Yoshi will be getting his very own amiibo as well! And yes, the official spelling seems to be without a capital 'a'.

:yoshi:Get your Yoshi on! Yoshi Gear!:4yoshi:

Of course, as a Yoshi main, you might want to play with the right equipment. Here are some of the things you can get!

Yoshi Wii Remote Plus!
This snazzy little Wiimote design came onto the market recently, and shouldn't be too hard to find at your local gamestore! At least if you're in Europe, it would seem that this one hasn't been released in America as of yet (?).

Yoshi GameCube-ish controller!

You can pre-order these at gamestop.com, but I'm not sure yet if these are coming to Europe or not. I hope so, for me and my fellow European Yoshi fans!

Yoshi Wii U Pro Controller!
This controller is custom designed by the people at evilcontrollers.com, however they're a little more pricey than the regular Wii U Pro Controllers. Whether the custom design is worth the extra steep price is for you to decide!

Yoshi themed Nintendo 3DS XL!

For 3DS Yoshi fans, this has been one amazing gift, and this gatget will be PERFECT to show every 3DS Smasher just why Yoshi belongs on top!

And that's it for his general moveset for now, aside from throws which I haven't really seen any images of, but I'll scan through the matches featuring Yoshi to see if they have throws in them. Aside from that, I'll probably update the thread with more images where needed. If you see anything missing or think something else should be added, be sure to let me know!
Thank you for your help and/or time! :yoshi:

Last edited:

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
Thanks! :4yoshi: Wish I knew how to get rid of the extra spoiler tags though!
that was a HUGE problem for me too, talk to a mod about it to fix it. it was really annoying, but you'll get it fixed don't worry !

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Nice work so far :) Just a heads up it's "Aerials" ;)

I really, really hope Yoshi get's his strikers outfit in this game, that would be the most amazing thing...but it's almost certainly not going to happen in favour of the missing Yoshi colours.

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I think I'm mostly done with this thread for now. Regarding the text coloring, I even took the liberty of giving a little nod to Super Mario World's Yoshi powers; Standard Attacks is standard Green, Smashes is for the powerful Yellow, Special is for firebreathing Red (fire based stuff is usually found in special moves), and Aerials for Airborne Blue. The rest I tried deviding among other Yoshi colors.

Nice work so far :) Just a heads up it's "Aerials" ;)

I really, really hope Yoshi get's his strikers outfit in this game, that would be the most amazing thing...but it's almost certainly not going to happen in favour of the missing Yoshi colours.
Ah, thanks! I'll fixed it! And yeah, I think Yoshi will just get all the Yoshi colors aside from brown (which seems replaced by orange these days) and magenta, which would raise Yoshi's colors up to 10. I still think many Yoshi players would be happy with just the black and white Yoshis though. I know I will be, although I'd still love an alternate costume as well. We'll see! :)

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I think I'm mostly done with this thread for now. Regarding the text coloring, I even took the liberty of giving a little nod to Super Mario World's Yoshi powers; Standard Attacks is standard Green, Smashes is for the powerful Yellow, Special is for firebreathing Red (fire based stuff is usually found in special moves), and Aerials for Airborne Blue. The rest I tried deviding among other Yoshi colors.
That's a really nice nod to the game, clever! The other things like pink for grabs don't go unnoticed either ;)

Curiosity question, as a die-hard Yoshi fan it feels shameful to even ask this, but is anyone else not as keen on the look of the Yoshi GC-controller or is it just me? I think it's mostly the burnt orange colour that's getting me, just doesn't look that appealing when compared to the Wiimote's tone of orange.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
That's a really nice nod to the game, clever! The other things like pink for grabs don't go unnoticed either ;)

Curiosity question, as a die-hard Yoshi fan it feels shameful to even ask this, but is anyone else not as keen on the look of the Yoshi GC-controller or is it just me? I think it's mostly the burnt orange colour that's getting me, just doesn't look that appealing when compared to the Wiimote's tone of orange.
Haha, right on! :)

And now that you mention it, that DOES look a little off on the GC-controller, especially when you compare it to the Wiimote. I think I'll still be getting one though! I already have a Yoshiimote and 3DS Yoshi XL, so with that Yoshi GC controller I'll be all set! Probably won't get the Yoshi Wii U Pro Controller myself though, because to me that one kinda looks off and is just too expensive.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Likewise, got to add it to the collection :p It'll be fun going to smash tournaments with our main over all our gear XP
The Pro Controller there looks more befitting for Luigi, with the darker tone of green and the lightning bolt looking similar to Strikers.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Likewise, got to add it to the collection :p It'll be fun going to smash tournaments with our main over all our gear XP
The Pro Controller there looks more befitting for Luigi, with the darker tone of green and the lightning bolt looking similar to Strikers.
He also had electrical powers in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Besides, Luigi already has his own with a fireball on it. I guess they couldn't think of anything 'badass' for Yoshi and decided to give him a lightningbolt while giving Luigi the same as Mario or something. I'd have preferred the egg, really, and a lighter tone of green! I mean, the Yoshi one is even darker than the Luigi one. That's just weird!

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
I wanted that Yoshi 3DS XL so bad ! :love:
But I already have an xl. So jealous of those who have it !

I agree. The Yoshi GameCube remote is not that nice..

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Y'all hear about yoshis real name?

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/08/06/so-this-is-yoshis-real-name

It's T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopas.
We didint even know.....
There's no way it can hold any water, it's like people still calling Sheik a guy since people in OoT thought she was one, or Birdo and the whole smb2 manual drama...all it takes is one person to write down something they made up and have it slip by unnoticed then people rapidly accept it as truth, since it came from an 'official source'. :/
Even if it were canon it seems to just be his genus, not his actual name.

Sorry for the rant.

Mighty_Guy100

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mighty_Guy100
There's no way it can hold any water, it's like people still calling Sheik a guy since people in OoT thought she was one, or Birdo and the whole smb2 manual drama...all it takes is one person to write down something they made up and have it slip by unnoticed then people rapidly accept it as truth, since it came from an 'official source'. :/
Even if it were canon it seems to just be his genus, not his actual name.

Sorry for the rant.
Eh, he'll always just be yoshi :)
image.jpg

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

I think you hit the nail on the head with the comment on the orange...that said, I do still hope us Europeans get an option to purchase this. I think it'd be fun to have a custom Gamecube controller for Smash.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
What does it sound like? Is it the same as it was in Brawl?

I was kinda hoping it would sound more like this.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
What does it sound like? Is it the same as it was in Brawl?

I was kinda hoping it would sound more like this.

So far it seems to be his brawl voice unfortunately, I'm really hoping they change it to his sports voice (MKWii, strikers, sports mix etc)

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I know I'm extremely late doing this, but speculating Yoshi's final smash was fun while it lasted. I just now read the posts this thread got during E3, and I'd like to take a moment to thank SmashShadow for providing the news.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Don't you mean to say you want them to use other games' voice CLIPS? Because I'm pretty sure his voice is pretty much the same as it was since it was introduced in the first place. Aside from that, they'd still need to find actions that would actually fit the voice clips from those other games. I'd like some new voice clips too, sure, but it still needs to actually fit the action Yoshi performs.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Well, Mario Strikers Charged gave Yo an angry look. Further more, he growled.

I wish Yoshi acted mored liked this.

WECsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
WECsoul
3DS FC
0259-1277-6150
Possibly my new main :)

Edit: i played with yoshi today and it was very good. He's a little bit stronger and his controls are smoother. It was a good choice to use him :)

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Okay picture this all of us here are the Yoshi backroom and we are tasked with creating the perfect ruleset that will bump yoshi up to high or top tier status. Because Smash4 isn't out yet we'll use Brawl (which would be easier anyway since you know we have like 6 years under our belt with that one)

The rules for this ruleset are pretty simple.
  1. If you want to flat out ban characters in this ruleset that is fine, but there is a limit of 3 character bans (though the goal is to have as many characters that aren't banned as possible)
  2. No character specific rules. (Cept LGL on MK because **** that character)
We're trying to make a ruleset that feels legitimately playable but makes being a yoshi player more viable. I'm really interested in seeing what people come up with. You're allowed to do just about anything as long as you're seriously thinking about making this game playable. You can up the stocks, lower the stocks, up the time, lower the time, legalize items, change the stage list, tweek the counterpick rules, whatever the hell you want just try to be realistic.

Like for starters I'd say we need a far more diverse stage list than we have now.
And Distant Planet would need to be legal in some way shape or form rip best yoshi stage.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
It's not that the recovery is bad because it's bad. The distance and height is great but the predictability of it makes it terrible. He has no mix-ups when recovering.
bruh what? If I DI right I can make it back to the stage just by pointing my control stick at the stage. Between eggtoss doublejump airdodge breverses and DJC I think its safe to say we have a lot of recovery mixups and options. Just because a MK shuttle loop covers pretty much all those options doesn't really make it bad.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well with a cap of 3 bans, might as well ban Falco since theres definitely not any other character anywhere close to as difficult for us as him. If we're trying to make the 'perfect' ruleset for a Yoshi, banning the undeniable hardest match up bar MK is a given.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
If we want to improve yoshi why would we 'ban' characters instead of facing up to and learning how to deal with them? Don't forget we can jump OoS now so these MUs will be less sucky now.
But if we're banning chars anyway, Lucario has to be in that list hands down.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
This is talking about Brawl.

EDIT: oh yeah make Lucario the third ban lol

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Dunno, Just change in ruleset and MK ban is good enough for me. Falco and Lucario are fine since none of those exist since 4 years into brawl.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I've updated the down air move with a little more information, regarding something I found in this video at 10:10.

Also I see that some links in the OP are broken for some reason. I'll fix that soon. Anyone know an easier/more reliable image hosting site than Imageshack? I haven't really been keeping up to date with such things.

Last edited:

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
While Yoshi's midair ump is one of the best recoveries in the game, it's just too predictable. I'd appreciate other means of recovery, as to make it easier to surprise your opponent.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
lil late for that, but go for it if you really want to. it's a lot of work
I don't think it's really too late for it. A thread like this can always be used later on as a visual reference to the character's moveset and tidbits of info on how the moves work, and other things that concern the character, even after release. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom