• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Match-Ups/Match-Up Chart

Who'll take the 5th spot?

• Z'zgashi

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Firefly

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • MX778

Votes: 13 32.5%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

i luv u firefly <3
rofl
poop is a solid word

not punny

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
If you're not playing completely campy or gay, youre not playing competitive smash right.
:phone:
I've been in the smash community for about half of a semester, (my first actual brawl tournament happened around late August), and I'm really starting to believe that you have to play campy in Brawl to win.

After the fall of MK, I've just been seeing a lot of D3s and Falcos in which both of them play completely campy. (D3s abuse of bair and chaingrabs and Falco's chaingrab, lazer, side b spam)
This is just discouraging me to continue to play as Link in tournaments because he'll just get shut down by the higher tiers. And it's already bad enough that I'm getting told by pros to "pick up a better character."

Stuff like this makes me want to quit brawl and revert back to smash 64 and melee. However I don't want to because the brawl community can be decent at times.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
To be honest, you ARE playing Link, and he definitely has trouble against these characters. Falco and D3 DO have flaws that can be abused, and it's not too uncommon to see faster, higher tiered characters abuse these flaws.

I won't tell you to pick up a better character, but I will tell you to change your mindset on the metagame. The key is not to camp, the key is to be patient. Strict camping makes you lose opportunities. You need to be able to keep zoning your enemy until you see an opening or act on a read, then carry that momentum as long as you can, safely. The momentum is the faster part of Brawl that you see. The campy stuff happens when neither side has momentum at all.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Also, when I play I don't watch my character.
I watch the opponents character.

I know yoshi. I know what he does, I know how he moves.
If I see him move a way I don't want him to in my perephrials, I can easily catch it.

If I watch the opponet I can punish every mistake.

:phone:

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Also firefly you play dirty.
Hitting Zelda while transforming is like hitting a character while taunting.

You deserved to lose TBH.
No sympathy from me!
I play much dirtier in friendlies than I do in tournament. A couple months ago, I grab release infinited a Wario in doubles friendlies at a smashfest the night before a tournament. The next day, I played 2 singles GFs sets with him and didn't do a single standing regrab on him.

LOL poor Jake<3
oh woe is me~

:005:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I dunno.

The only redeemable factor Zelda has against Yoshi is that she laughs at his shield.

But everyone does this, so it doesn't matter.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Been watchin many Brawl Yoshi's, sorta cool watchin you guys play! ^^

Sorry don't mind me :p

<3 Yoshi players <3

If I ever go that route and play Brawl, hope you Yoshi's help me out! ^^

Aurablast

Smash Cadet
I know that gameplays in EU are (a bit) different than in US but I will probably say some things about that MU. I didn't have it practiced a lot, but I would say that it's -1.

Firstly, I think Zelda will always have the advantage on long distance. Her Side-B lets her camp and her neutral-B throws-back our eggs. Zelda's camp is, I think, not a very useful camp, but it may force Yoshi to approach constantly.

Now the big problem of Yoshi in this MU must be its defense, mostly its shield and its hurtbox. Zelda's Fair and Bair are really easy to do on Yoshi, and Zelda's Usmash is really hard to SDI at high percent with Yoshi.

Yoshi has also good advantages on this MU. Zelda is very light weight. So she would be easy to juggle in the air, as her aerial mobility suxx. She also shouln't give Yoshi a problem for killing her, I think Usmash and Uair while punishing her landings would be the best killmoves onstage.

Offstage is also a very good point for Yoshi, Zelda isn't really hard to gimp with Fair/Dair/Nair. Zelda can also hurt badly Yoshi offstage so be careful

I don't think that Yoshi's Super Armor (on double jump) is really effective in this MU, except perhaps on Zelda's Fair/Bair failed

I'm mainly defensive when I play Yoshi but I think that playing this MU aggressively should be really more effective.

To do :
- Lot of pressure / agressive gameplay
- Put Zelda in the air (Bair to Utilt ; jab to dash grab to Uthrow/Dthrow ; Egglay ...)
- Put Zelda offstage and edgeguard her a lot
- Be careful on Zelda's killmoves

Not to do :
- Try to camp
- Try to be defensive

I hesitate between even and -1 but I would say -1

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Use more ftilt and dash attack against Zelda and you'll see she doesnt have any advantage. Ftilt will knock her up to an easy place to get juggled, it is fast, and it has nice range (its also very hard for her to punish), and dash attack clanks with her Din's Fire allowing us to cancel it and cancel all our lag while she still finishes hers, making running at her a huge advantage especially when at moderate distances.

Overall though, it's still even imo due to the fact that Zelda's tools all work better on us due to our crap shield and large hurtbox.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Zelda's long distance camp is decent vs Yoshi, but this doesn't stop Yoshi from just shielding/air dodging/spot dodging Din's Fire.

At mid range it's probably evenish, assuming you're throwing eggs and not doing something else.

Zelda won't have any problems punishing ftilt. lol

She would have more problems punishing bair imo, or any aerial that capitalises on Yoshi's horizontal aerial speed.

Just don't go above her. lol

Yikarur

Smash Master
people underrate so much stuff lol
Zelda can use the din fire so that it doesn't clash with nair, nair is not the absolute answer to it.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
tbh, I think that the whole "use attack a or attack b to clash with Din's Fire!" is dumb because you can screw up your timing with it, while airdodging or spotdodging are far superior.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
It's really easy to time though. Just look at Zelda's hand movements, she makes it blatantly obvious that she's about to set it off, and it gives you like, half a second to react to it. You guys overate that move, it's really not that amazing and not the reason she goes even with us.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I'm not talking about even, I'm just talking about underrating Dins Fire
The Hitbox is infinitely big, she can releasei t in distance and hit you without it getting clanked by Nair because Nairs hitbox is jut not big enough.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Our air speed makes timing this near impossible, and even if she did, air dodge.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Just air dodge toward her. Don't even bother trying to outprioritise it. You guys are fast in the air.

There is ridiculous ending lag on the move, so just punish it. :/

It's really easy to time though. Just look at Zelda's hand movements, she makes it blatantly obvious that she's about to set it off, and it gives you like, half a second to react to it. You guys overate that move, it's really not that amazing and not the reason she goes even with us.
Umm, no. lol

Edit:

I'm not trying to be mean btw, Fluttershy.

I just couldn't think of a better answer. :c

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Um, I play Zelda all the time. If you dont believe me, look at my state's PR: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=312281

I play against Zelda ALL THE TIME, Im pretty sure I know what Im doing, considering I beat him every time I play him.

I mean, look at this post if you dont think he's good: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12092312

The only reason he's not listed Top 5, is because he personally asked not to be for reasons like being inactive at the time: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12096561&postcount=298

He's active again now and back to his original skill level, so should probably be put back on the top Zelda list again.

So please, I know the Zelda MU, I know how it works better than, im willing to bet, most Yoshis. Also, when you say:

There is ridiculous ending lag on the move, so just punish it. :/
When we nair her Din's Fire, it clanks ending all of our lag leaving us lagless. I'm not trying to be mean btw, but please learn and understand Yoshi before you comment thinking you know how he works better than the people who actually use him.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I was talking about Din's Fire yeah.

But seriously, I'm imagining that with Yoshi's air speed, it would be better to just air dodge toward Zelda rather than mucking around nairing it. lol

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Either works, I already said that, but sometimes its better to nair due to the fact that you can instantly jump, use an attack, etc right after instead of having to wait for your dodge to end. Air dodge is a little safer, but nair will allow you to retaliate faster and gives you your options far sooner than an air dodge would.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Mmmkay, that's fair enough.

I personally don't mind though, since I have less trouble dealing with people who try to cancel it out with a move (Peach excepted, since her air dodge is lol and nair won't ruin her float) rather than people who air dodge it, since the cooldown on Din's Fire is so long.

Edit:

Why am I even on the Yoshi boards. /tears

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Would this be where I go to post a video of me vs someone?

so you guys can laugh at my horrendous Dino, but hey gotta start somewhere right?

hmmmmm, perhaps you guys teach me a Brawl Yoshi, and i'll teach a melee yoshi?

that a fair deal?

EDIT: Idk if i'll post the vids, lol, i ook soo horrendous.. and no idea what im doin, but >.< gahhh idk...

sorry

/end panic

Top Bottom