• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Match-Ups/Match-Up Chart

Who'll take the 5th spot?

• Z'zgashi

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Firefly

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • MX778

Votes: 13 32.5%

• Total voters

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
/revive I need help in the snake MU.

You know those casual players who suck at this game but think they're da bess ever?

My friends a casual player who's had the game for 2-3 weeks and he thinks he sucks but he's a beast.
He tears it up with those traps.
Never read a guide in his life.

Dude has mad potential.

Anyway, he beat me in a 2 out of 3 and we went to third round.
I lost seriouslies to a casual.

Now, how do I **** da snakes with my tricks of yoshi luv?

:phone:

Sharky

Smash Master
more specifically, get snake above you as often as possible. We pressure snake AMAZINGLY well when he's in the air. Also depending on how the two of you play, you can outcamp him pretty well, too, especially around platforms.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I'm trying not to be too campy with him till he's super comfortable with the game.
I got his wifi set up tho lol.

I don't play campy eneough versus anyone really.
And if I get mad then i'm litterally "Mad Agro."

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I'll upload this replay of me 0% to 90%ing a Fox, and I want you to do that exact thing to Snake always. (Basically its just 10 seconds of pure, utter, mindrape reads while he's trying to land and Im juggling him with mixed uairs, usmash, pivot grabs, egglays, etc)

ForwardAirRage!

Smash Journeyman
yeah im having trouble with the snake MU as well, i play my friend ralph cecil alot and he is pretty beastly, i win some and he does too but its just no fun playing snake, I have to be super smart about everything in that MU. I hate it.
if I dont approach he nades me, If i do I get Utilted...or Ftilted. getting in close is so hard, any suggestions on how to approach in this Mu?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Literally, just space egg lay well a lot, then when he's out of position/above you/whatever, punish and juggle. Snake also has poor landing options, so punish those. A lot of people try and jump up to hit him when he's trying to land, dont do that, wait for him on the ground and punish him there with usmash, grabs, egg lay, etc.

ForwardAirRage!

Smash Journeyman
so just go in for well spaced egg lays?
and yeah i know about the poor landing options snake has i usually just grab him.
usually the reason i get screwed in this MU is approaching and killing him. sometimes i get a early gimp on him but usually killing is annoying...

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yeah, dont try to kill Snake, just let the kill happen. Literally, dont try to go in, just keep playing like you have been the whole game and eventually he'll just die. Now, if you see a free gimp or kill, by all means take it, but dont force it cuz it just wont end up well. And yes, Snake will live past 200% occasionally, but its all good.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
No, you must grab release him on the ledge out of cypher, and when he tries to C4 back, predict it with a finely timed fair to the brain.

ForwardAirRage!

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, dont try to kill Snake, just let the kill happen. Literally, dont try to go in, just keep playing like you have been the whole game and eventually he'll just die. Now, if you see a free gimp or kill, by all means take it, but dont force it cuz it just wont end up well. And yes, Snake will live past 200% occasionally, but its all good.
thanks for the help :).

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
yoshi should be high tier
Yoshi should be Top of Low Mid/Bottom of Mid Mid.

Now that Sonic and Wolf are gone from Low Mid, Yoshi has by far the most results/placings/success when compared to the rest of Low Mid and Low Tier. He even had more success than Wolf who's now top of Mid pretty much. Only one that did beat him was Sonic, and only barely, but we all know Sonic is much better than the tier list says anyway.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Sorry for the double post, but it's been a couple days and I have a question.

So I've come to realize that Falco is by far my most difficult personal match up, so are there any tips to help improve against him? It seems like I can keep up with him well damage wise, and most of the time am good at avoiding the CG, but while I am keeping up with him, it just seems like im always just a half step behind with him having that small advantage the whole way through, both with percentage and control of the match. Any ideas?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
It's a disadvantaged MU, so it probably should turn out the way you're describing it. The only thing you can do is work on your pressure and ability to deal with his keep away game, and to just get better in general. =/

ForwardAirRage!

Smash Journeyman
what I do is just eat some lasers and throw eggs and keep away until like 30 percent then go in close. usually i try every cheap shot i can get when falcos off ledge just because falcos up b sux. Nair his Forward B and just be really gay. usually when i do that i go even with the falco i play, that or i just plain beat him

ForwardAirRage!

Smash Journeyman
well, that is the tricky part but eventually he will fall into ur pivot grabs and egg lay. or just try to CG him off ledge. honestly just wait for him to mess up

ForwardAirRage!

Smash Journeyman
its a gay *** MU. i just dunno how else to explain it XD. might upload a video or two, dunno if it would help or not but maybe?

Ultra_(MQJ3)

Smash Cadet
NNID
WALI78
3DS FC
3368-2165-5005
I personally try to avoid using my yoshi against falcos, but I would try to stay kind of mid-distance away. Not too far to where the lasers can lock you up. When a falco is at mid-distance they try to break your spacing by lasers or aerials. Try to read these then evade them and punish them with a bair. Break the "grove" of their strategies, but don't try to force risky attacks or combos.

D

Deleted member

Falco is pretty even unless they decide to just completely gay you. Then its falcos favor. I agree with delta, but its also real important to try and gimp. Grab release egg lay offstage is guarenteed, i think spike might be but its hard, so try to get early kills so u can force approach. Lots of landing traps cuz falco falls real fast. Falcos jab straight up molests yoshi unfortunately, so just DI out of it and try again xD

Yikarur

Smash Master
Falco is not even in any way.
and CG Spike is not guaranteed.
Egg Lay is not scary.
Gimping is not really easy, we just don't have any move that provides gimping. :/

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I don't want to comment on Falco because I haven't played it in a while and a lot of what I've discussed about it has given me internal conflict about how it goes.

I will say that I can't see it being any worse than -2. I'll try to play a lot of Falco and Marth in the future so I can get videos to prove my points (in the case of Marth, moreso) and to just get a better feel on the match up (Falco).

D

Deleted member

Falco is not even in any way.
and CG Spike is not guaranteed.
Egg Lay is not scary.
Gimping is not really easy, we just don't have any move that provides gimping. :/
Like i said, if they dont play completely campy and gay, its pretty even.
OK i wasnt sure.
Egg lay is scary because they are offstage and falco falls fast.
If you grab falco out of his side b at the edge he dies. Thats gimping. It shouldnt happen much but one gimp can change a set outcome.

Yoshi juggles much better than falco, and can chain better than falco besides falcos chain grab. Yoshi is also VERY hard for falco to kill.

Idk
-2 maybe. but no way is it worse

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I lost to a fox in bracket last month. True fax.

If you're not playing completely campy or gay, youre not playing competitive smash right. With the exception of MK and Falcon.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I lost to a fox in bracket last month. True fax.

If you're not playing completely campy or gay, youre not playing competitive smash right. With the exception of MK and Falcon.

campy is often very powerful but no always the choice.
as example, you have to play aggressive vs. Fox :p

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Very true.

I used to play only campy, but I definitely feel like learning how to transition from defensive, safe play (usually at neutral) to aggression (you got momentum) is EXTREMELY important. Always playing defensively leads to you missing many important opportunities.

D

Deleted member

If they dont play completely campy and gay, they aren playing Falco right in the first place.
ya ur right es kay 92 sucks at falco.
rofl.
I didn't say falcos that don't camp, i meant falcos that literally will not fight you haha except jab.
If the falco isnt great at defense they are going to get ***** anyways. Lots of falcos use lazers to get openings.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Ive played es kay 92, I go to Vegas at least 4 times a year. He plays campy and gay as well. Maybe back in your day he didnt, but he does now.

D

Deleted member

Completely campy and gay.
Completely
Completely
Yea he camps, but he will fight too.

i played him in like january in pools and in a MM as well. I mean i dont remember it that well, they were close thats all i rememeber, and i remember it was close because he let me get in, and he beat me because hes a better player who makes very hard reads not because he ran away and jabbed and sidebd the whole match (although that may have occured haha).

I just think that yoshi racks up damage well enough to win this matchup. Falco has a trick time killing yoshi, and yoshi juggles falco real nicely. Yea falco is bomb and can poop on yoshi, but yoshi can poop on falco too (or poop him out). I think yoshi has the mobility to not get pooped on, to avoid grabs, and has way better tools than falco when he is out of jab range but not too far away to get lasered.

Top Bottom