• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Match-Ups/Match-Up Chart

Who'll take the 5th spot?

• Z'zgashi

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Firefly

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • MX778

Votes: 13 32.5%

• Total voters

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I dunno Firefly does a really good job at cancelling my Din's Fire and escaping Fsmash. As long as Yoshi stays away from the area directly above Zelda, I think things will be in his favour. Yoshi is a larger target for lightning kicks but they're generally not very easy to land.

Zelda doesn't have a good way to approach, and is likely to be grabbed when she does. That added with the egg pressure really reduces Zelda's options.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Lol, Tsuteto is freaking godlike at landing lightning kick. I wish his set against Sexy Yaz was recorded, he kicked that bat at least 5 or 6 times lol.

Sharky

Smash Master
Would this be where I go to post a video of me vs someone?

so you guys can laugh at my horrendous Dino, but hey gotta start somewhere right?

hmmmmm, perhaps you guys teach me a Brawl Yoshi, and i'll teach a melee yoshi?

that a fair deal?

EDIT: Idk if i'll post the vids, lol, i ook soo horrendous.. and no idea what im doin, but >.< gahhh idk...

sorry

/end panic
nooooo don't be scared! we were all bad once =)

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Aero I said troll the Yoshi's not come in here with typical overating Zelda nonsense.
I apologize Yoshi's.
Take everything the Zelda's say with a grain of salt, they still haven't come to terms with how bad their character is.

Yoshi's N air >>>> Din's fire.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
How to beat up Ike and win the match vs him with yoshi cuz I can't n I've fought 1 Ike and he 2 stocked me and I want salty runbacks but I dunno how so tell me pls.

Fun fact: my iPhone just autocorrected "plz" to "pls"

I guess it thought "seriously, you're not this dumb."

:phone:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Accept that his everything beats your everything in range and camp. Try to punish his approaches with egg lays and stuff, and juggle him when possible. Be a total ***** to him when he's offstage with eggs and gimp when possible. Really, just play really patiently and carefully because Ike has good damage output, kills, and great range.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Derrrrp.

The timing is pretty different when compared to our other CGs, though. I'm no good at it myself. I think the grab needs to be delayed or something. It's much more of a trap than an easily noticed frame advantage thing, IIRC.

Sharky

Smash Master
really? I always felt like it had to be super buffered lol. Anyway yeah it is hard to do but not on a ZSS level of hard or anything lol. I'll give a short write-up later...maybe...if I remember...and people harass me enough...lol

Aurablast

Smash Cadet
Yeah, Yoshi can CG Ike. It's hard but it works x)

This is a MU I have practice a lot. I don't know if I'm doing it well, but that should work.

Ike has range priority over most of Yoshi moves, so I prefer a lot being defensive against Ike players. Eggs is a good point for Yoshi, Ike has nothing very effective to counter that except dash shield. So if you're far from Ike, it's completely safe, just beware he doesn't approach too much (he will mainly try to jab you or BackThrow => Buffered Dash Attack).
Then, it's a little more complicated. Ike's Fair should **** many of Yoshi's moves due to it's range. Reverse Grab is a good way of punishing that, I also like using a lot reversal-B and Bair. Be careful to shieldgrab, Ike do his jab quiet quickly and it's hard for the Yoshi to escape to that (bad hurtbox).
Personnally, I don't have the precise timing to CG him but I have found something I use a lot against him because he doesn't have fast aerials : Release him, then if you mindgame he will not jump, just re-dashgrab him, if you mindgame a jump, jump => Fair => Nair works.
On air, Ike is just a great sandbag. He is really easy to juggle with Yoshi, so (jab =>) grab => Uthrow/Dthrow, neutral-B, Bair => Utilt/Ftilt are really some good options.
As for killmove, that's clearly Ike's favor. He will mainly kill you with jab => Utilt, Ftilt, Short hop => Bair and Usmash while punishing Yoshi's landings. As for us, we didn't have really some safe killmoves, except Yoshi's Uair but he will be rarely fresh (except if you dies just before him). Kill Ike requires, I think, to be really patient, then punish him as better as we can.
Offstage can be a really good way of killing Ike. We can dash grab his Up-B, if he doesn't have his double jump left, that's a guaranted freekill for you (you just have to edgehog him when he tries to recover).

As for the stages, BattleField is good for Ike. Pokemon Stadium 1 and Delfino also as for his wall infinite grab. I generally go, if I can, on Final Destination, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Castle Siege, Frigate Orpheon.

I would say -1 for Yoshi (so Ike's favor)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Ike may have a kill power advantage over us, but we both need to be quite patient while looking for the kill. Our standard kill moves don't really work on each other. He needs less percent to kill us, but I'd say we have an easier time landing a kill move through edge guarding or juggling.

Outside of that, both characters really need to play it safe at neutral. Ike outranges us, yes, but we also have the mobility to get in on him.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Sorry to go off topic, but I have something to share.

So, I found a cool kill set up on Wolf on PictoChat. I know it's a banned stage atm, but we may have an easy kill on him around 70%ish if we grab him a certain distance from the edge (it doesnt need to be an EXACT distance, but it's somewhat strict. I'll make a vid and post it sometime in the next week (not sure when I'll have time due to Christmas, but Ill get it done before New Year). It's pretty situational, but hey, might as well.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well, none of those stages have as sharp of an edge, but I dont know. PictoChat is at roughly a 45 degree angle and it barely works, so I doubt it would on those other stages, but I'll test those just in case.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
@Fluttershy / Z'zgashi or however you spell it

I suppose the new MU chart settles it once and for all.

Yoshi is NOT on Ganondorf's level in the matchup against Zelda... although Ganondorf and Bowser are severely underrated in Zelda's matchups.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
We fought to have MK listed as a -3, actually. Scatz **** a brick on them, they cried, refused to post further, and the final panel voted to give their side the win, so the MU remained at -2.

Falco is pretty bad, we just do some really stupid stuff to him so it doesn't always seem that way. Falcos that know how to keep us out can be tough.

Lucario is a solid -2.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
@Fluttershy / Z'zgashi or however you spell it

I suppose the new MU chart settles it once and for all.

Yoshi is NOT on Ganondorf's level in the matchup against Zelda... although Ganondorf and Bowser are severely underrated in Zelda's matchups.
My opinion is that it's even.

In the new MU chart, MK, Falco, and Lucario, are listed as -2.

I didn't think Falco was as bad as the others.
Imo MK > Falco > Lucario

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
No way in hell is Lucario harder than MK. Falco is debatable, but Lucario really isnt anywhere near as hard as we used to think he is. The old reasoning was, Lucario camps us better, his dair beats our everything, and we cant kill him so he gets stronger. Thing is, with smart camping we CAN outcamp him. His dair doesnt actually beat our everything, just our main options. Use more nair and egg lay, he cant respond to egg lay unless he reads us. We can kill him a lot better than most think. Really, it kind of annoys me when people constantly argue that Lucario is still ultra difficult for us, he really isnt. Sure, hes one of our harder MUs, but not many characters have a solid advantage on us in the first place. Im really bad at explaining MUs, so just ask someone like Delta, he's prob more experience with Lucario than me anyway. Lucario doesnt shut us down in any way at all.

Steam

Smash Hero
I don't feel that yoshi can ever outcamp lucario except from the ledge maybe...

and I've been saying all along to just DJ armor through lucario's dair... It's really easy.

egg lay is really good against lucario though. it goes through most of his spacing tools. and without it lucario could really **** yoshi's recovery/landing for free.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yeah, if you see Lucario about to dair and hes at kill %, jump in and uair, the first hit never hits us out of our DJ armor and our uair comes out significantly faster than the second part of Lucario's dair, it's not very hard.

Also, Yoshi can camp Lucario from platforms really well too. Any stage with platforms we should be able to use our high mobility and camping ability to outcamp Lucario. We cant just stand there and throw eggs like in most MUs, we need to actually think and position ourselves as we camp.

D

Deleted member

No thats not true. Yoshi cant outcamp lucario.
You can somewhat throw eggs at lucario and force him to move to mid range. But you cant really camp him. Lucario doesnt have a super hard time approaching, and has plenty to deal with defensive yoshi. Yoshi whiffs get punished hardd
Dair does beat relevent things.
Its true that egg lay is effective, but lucario really shouldnt be holding shield much ever. Rolling away is pretty safe against yoshi that is falling looking for nair or egg lay.

You cant really kill him easily. Yoshi has problems killing most characters and lucario is probably top 3 hardest to kill. This is supplemented with the fact that lucario punishes a whiffed smash very very hard at kill percents. Uair can kill him but i wouldnt call uair a reliable kill move, especially against a charcater that we cant bait airdodges against. Even against snake its not reliable, its a good kill move for sure, and if lucario doesnt know that uair can beat it than we can get kills with it, but its not like its an easy move to land against lucario.

I don't think lucario is worse than MK. I just think we really dont do **** to lucario, while we do a lot of **** to falco. Both do plenty to us. I think you have to outplay lucario a lot to win against him. Falco i think is not nearly as bad. Unless you think falco destroys most of the cast. Yoshi can get past falco camp better than a lot of the cast, can avoid grabs better, and lives longer.
Imo :)

Edit: ZZ dont gimme this "this aint 2008" crap.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
But lucario has this big ball lazer thing and like it charges up and gets bigger if he's hurt so like he gets better when he gets worse and then we die anyway.

Lucario -9

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Just ask Delta, he's better at explaining things than me and I know he's on my side on this one.

Top Bottom