• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Interview Thread! Round 15 Voting is Here... Still!

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
1. Are there any players (not Yoshi mains specifically) that you would like to meet in person and why?

2. Do you think you'll ever get bored of this game?

3. Have you ever been in a motor vehicle accident?
1. Hmm, I met a lot of people when I went to Genesis, No Koast v.2, and WHobo 2. If I had to pick someone to meet, It'd probably be ISAI. It'd be cool to see the original smash god. Either him or Ken would be nice.

2. I wouldn't say bored per say. I told myself that I would never get bored of Melee... and then Brawl came out =P As long as this game is the newest in the series, I can't see myself getting tired of it. I'm too competitive as a person to get bored with it.

3. I have never had an accident myself (7 years with no accident so far, heh). But when I was like... 8 or 9 or something, I was in my morning carpool and a school bus kind of turned into us at a stop light. Nothing major; everyone was fine and the car I was in just was scraped up on the side.

How do you feel when people write "YoshSSB" and not "YOSHssb?"

Does your taking the name "YOSHssb" have anything to do with lil_b taking the name "YoshiSSB" on Youtube just 9 days before you made your account?
It used to bother me, but now I just find it funny that seemingly no one does it right =P I've had the same battle with my name IRL. My real name is "Jeffery" but everyone spells it "Jeffrey" and so I've just shortened it to Jeff so that most people won't screw it up, heh.

As for the Youtube account, I just tried "YOSH" first, and that was taken (both on Smashboards and Youtube), and since I was playing Brawl so much, I just tried adding "ssb" afterwards, and luckily both of those were available. I'm pretty sure I didn't know lil_b existed at that time, heh.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
How good is my Yoshi? (aside From HOBO 28 since I was having an unlucky day)
Why A Gabite avatar?
Do you even use DR or try practicing it at all? Or are you like me thinking it doesn't matter and DJ Egglay is better.

:320:

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Why are furries da bess?
I've found that furries overall are just nicer people and they're more accepting of others. I also like how open they are. I can't describe how nice it is to start a conversation online or in person with another furry and feel like I'm instantly liked. I guess it's the same way with the smash community (disregarding the Melee/Brawl warring people). If I find out someone likes smash, they're automatically awesome and I wanna play them to see how good they are. With furries, once I find out they are one, i instantly know that I have something in common with 'em and I wanna know more about 'em.

Plus the art is win =)

How good is my Yoshi? (aside From HOBO 28 since I was having an unlucky day)
Why A Gabite avatar?
Do you even use DR or try practicing it at all? Or are you like me thinking it doesn't matter and DJ Egglay is better.

:320:
As I've said before, I honestly don't really watch other Yoshis. I generally upload my own vids and get feedback, but I don't analyze others unless specifically asked. That aside, I can tell you what I did notice at Hobo 28 even if you were having an off day.

You have the technical aspect of Yoshi down well (all your down-B tricks worked a lot of the time and you knew how to vary it up, you know the ETS fluidly, and aside from a few slips, you had the DJC Egg-Lay down nicely). The only problem/s I see with your Yoshi is that you're too aggressive for one. Also, you seem to do what another one of my friends does, and that's if you can be fancy, you do it rather than just playing it safe. One of my friends plays Luigi, and even when he could very easily just up-B to get back safely, he will ALWAYS tornado just because it looks fancy when he pulls it off. I noticed the same kind of stuff with you: you had the tricks to confuse your opponent, but once your opponent sees what you're doing, it's really easy to predict what you're gonna do, and it's just downhill from there unless you can vary it up. I'd say honestly, try playing a bunch of friendlies without all the advanced techniques (no down-b sliding, no wave-bouncing, no ETS) and just try to beat your opponent/s by outthinking them. Your spacing will get loads faster quickly, you'll predict your opponent better, you'll make smarter choices, and then you'll start incorporating the tricks back into your game.

I have a Gabite avatar mainly because I found an artist who was drawing a bunch of chibified pokemon, and when I saw his Gabite, I thought it was too adorable to pass up, so I made it my avatar on a couple sites, and then it just kind of stuck with me, so I still have it, heh.

I practiced DR a while ago (like 8 months ago), and I had it down to about a 60% success rate, but that was only in training mode. When it came to actually doing it mid-fight, I couldn't figure out where to actually use it. It was just easier for me to side-dodge or shield then it was to hit 4 buttons within 3 frames. I think if you CAN get the DR down as well as Bigz does, then it is useful in certain scenarios (like his grab-release on MK to a down-tilt/down-smash to save his kill moves). But this goes back to what I said above, in that I think it's more important to be able to beat your opponent without tricks first and foremost. Also, my reaction time is terrible, so I know I'd never be able to DR away if I spaced something badly, heh. I wouldn't go as far as to say DJC Egg-Lay is better, but it's definitely easier and more reliable, and I'm all for being safe with your moves rather than taking a chance that something'll go wrong.

Oops, had the name wrong on the OP and title. Fixed it though!
Heh, it's ok Air, everyone does it that way =P

Metatitan

Smash Master
Why the **** Gabite of all pokemon?
Any other characters you use?
If you switched mains would you still use the same tag?
Your biggest competition for "best yoshi" title?
Why cyan? Red is so much better
What would you fix about yoshi to make him tournament viable?

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Why the **** Gabite of all pokemon?
Any other characters you use?
If you switched mains would you still use the same tag?
Your biggest competition for "best yoshi" title?
Why cyan? Red is so much better
What would you fix about yoshi to make him tournament viable?
When I played Diamond for the first time, I remember being like "meh" with all the new pokemon in the game, and on Victory Road, a trainer sent out a Gabite, and I remember thinking, "omg, I have to have one like right now." Dunno why, but that particular pokemon was really cool to me (though Charizard will probably always be my favorite).

I use Lucario every now and then. I don't usually do doubles outside of low-tier doubles, so I play Lucario for teams.

If I were playing Melee then I'd say no. In Melee I mained Yoshi, Bowser, and Mewtwo (I only use bad-tier characters apparently...), and I had 3 separate tags for whenever I switched. Since Melee only had 4 characters for a name, I was extremely creative and whenever I played Yoshi, i was YOSH, I was BOWS for Bowser, and (surprise) MEWT for Mewtwo. No reason really, it was just something that I did, and as I started to be solely Yoshi, YOSH stuck. If I ever switched to another character (most likely Lucario should I do so) then I'd still keep YOSH.

Polt's my biggest competition for that title right now. What with his placement at MLG DC and the fact that we both go to the Hobo tournaments now, he's widely considered the best (unless someone else does well in a big tournament). But I'm stubborn, so I'll fight Polt to the death of Brawl for that top Yoshi spot =)

I pick Cyan because of Boshi from Super Mario RPG. Red may be more original, but I've still got an affinity for cyan.

I think the main thing I'd give Yoshi is a tether recovery in addition to the recovery he has now. He can use his tongue to grab onto things and swing in a lot of Mario games, so there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to grab the ledge with his tongue. Other than that, I probably echo everyone else when I say his shield needs to be better (as in, being able to jump out of it). That alone would help tremendously.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
Why don't you use skype?

Favorite aerial?
tilt?
smash?
special?
overall favorite move?

most enjoyable matchup to play?

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Why don't you use skype?

Favorite aerial?
tilt?
smash?
special?
overall favorite move?

most enjoyable matchup to play?
I got a new computer about 3 months ago and I never thought to install Skype on it, and so I had forgotten about it until Bigz reminded me about a week or so ago. I've got it again now =P

Favorite aerial's gotta be back-aerial. There are so many "combos" that I can do out of it and the autocanceling on the ground is great too.

Favorite tilt is the up-angled forward tilt. I only recently realized how quick that thing is and how much range it has, and it's got decent priority. I say that one over up-tilt mainly because of the speed of it and the range it has.

Favorite smash has to be up-smash. Wish Yoshi had a DACUS though...

Favorite special is the egg-lay. It was amazing how much better I got when I started incorporating that move into my regular play style.

Overall favorite move has to be the egg-lay. It's an aerial grab, you can get free damage out of it, you can read your opponent throughout a match and set 'em up for a kill at higher damage, it's got grab armor.... I think it's clearly Yoshi's best move although some may argue.

My favorite MU.... hmm, that's a hard one. I'd say the MU that I have the most fun fighting would be Fox. Even if everyone argues that my Fox friend doesn't play the MU campy enough, it's still the character that I have the most fun fighting against.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Ha, yes! I love up angled utilt! Its so good! It also puts them in a terrible position (almost perfectly above you)

bigman40

Smash Master
Every character has a DACUS. Yoshi's stops him in place. It's not as great as others, but it's not that bad either.

I'll probably ask questions tomorrow (have fun writing them).

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Heh, well I know Yoshi HAS a DACUS, but I mean one as useful as say Falco, Sheik, or Snake's =P

bigman40

Smash Master
What do you think of Yoshi's metagame today?

How do you think the Yoshi metagame will pan out in the upcoming year?

What do you enjoy most of Yoshi's game?

What do you think some Yoshi's (if not all) could do that is never used?

How long do you plan on traveling to tourneys?

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
What do you think of Yoshi's metagame today?

How do you think the Yoshi metagame will pan out in the upcoming year?

What do you enjoy most of Yoshi's game?

What do you think some Yoshi's (if not all) could do that is never used?

How long do you plan on traveling to tourneys?
Honestly I think the metagame needs work. I've seen so many people lose to Yoshi just because they don't know what to do against him and don't know what he has. The metagame that I see is mainly a perfect blend of grabs and normal attacks, and it seems like if you can predict an opponent, then I think Yoshi has the tools to punish a LOT.

Honestly, I just think that getting more character experience (all of us) will be what helps progress the metagame. It's nice to have theories and ideas, but only time and more experience will make or break Yoshi. Based on what I've seen though, I think Yoshi's metagame will go up in this upcoming year. I'll have to see it after that though to see if it'll go any further, but as i said, time will tell.

What I enjoy most about Yoshi honestly is just that he's Yoshi =P He's by far my favorite character in the game, and just playing a character that I like is the thing I enjoy the most.

I just think we could all take bigger chances. None of us are stupid and we can figure out pretty quickly what does and doesn't work against not only characters, but specific people as well.

I plan on traveling to tournaments as long as they are happening and as long as I have the money and free time to go to them, I will be going to as many as I can.

bigman40

Smash Master
When you going to come to GA to see me?

If you ever want to plan on coming, then come for Impact Clash or a guaranteed pot from USGA/WABA.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
When you going to come to GA to see me?

If you ever want to plan on coming, then come for Impact Clash or a guaranteed pot from USGA/WABA.
Georgia's a pretty big drive, so I'd like to go for longer than just a weekend if I could, and with my job, that might not be possible for a while. I'd love to go though. It's nice traveling around the country and seeing cities and states that I never thought I would.

Keep me updated on the tournaments, and when my Fox friend gets back in town (mid December), then it'll be much more likely cause we'll have 3 people to split gas rather than 2. And with 3 people, we have a setup in the back seat where the two guys not driving get to play Brawl and we rotate driving. It's a great way to travel, but until he gets back, longer trips really take their toll on us.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
I'll cast a vote for Stocky, and to answer you question Polt, in short, I think Cyan's a better color than Green.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Now I will say that if Orange Yoshi were an option, then I would be Orange Yoshi. Orange is by far my favorite color.

Top Bottom