• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link Match Up Discussion. Ask Questions Here!

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I usually do dthrow -> utilt/usmash at low percents and dthrow -> dair/nair at mid-high %. Seems to me that dthrow is the best throw that YL has.

Cia

das kwl
I prefer tech chases. combos really don't happen from Uthrow. Especially in YL's most common match ups. Marth can jump out, spacies hit the ground too quick. til they get up in the hundreds somewhere and I'm pretty sure they can just DI out of range.. Peach.. we can do anything to Peach. Jiggs gets combo'd from Dthrow, but I don't recommend going for grabs on her. Same for CF.

so.. yeah. I'm gonna say Tech Chase > combo.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
So yeah, seeing as this is the only active thread, can I get some advice on starting out as Young Link?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Take the advice from the star fox series. Use bombs wisely.

Seriously, bombs are YL's best projectile for comboing. You can do bomb -> aerial. Bomb against shield -> regrab -> throw against shield -> repeat.

Try not to forward or backward throw. dthrow to tech chase and utilt combo and uthrow to combo. Don't be afraid to use dash attack. Try not to use fsmash unless you know it will hit. Use dsmash. A lot. Uair is great against FFers. You can do wall of boots against large chars like DK and Bowser.

Try using Zair to mix things up and stop some approaches. NOTE: Zair does not combo into anything.

Dtilt cannot be CCed. USE THIS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!

Dtilt spike recoveries like spacies or marth.

Try not to throw your bomb once it is in your hand. Throw a boomerang first. Then do an arrow or throw the bomb. Try to always land the bomb or mindgame them into avoiding it and running into you.

That's all I have for now.

Also, try reading those threads that are stickied.
Having trouble getting that kill? A Laijin YL killing faq
*Updated 12/08/09*|YLink's Official Stage Ban and Counter Pick Guide!
(VIDEO INCLUDED)Hookshot Frenzy: A guide on Young Link's Hookshot by SmashMac ($Mac)
Bombs Away! ~ A Guide on Young Link's Bombs by NJ'zFinest

Laijin

Smash Hero
Overall....Uthrow or Dthrow?

How i see it : Uthrow = combos. Dthrow = Techchase.
u-throw is actually better.
Why?

-You can "chain grab" fast fallers from 0% to like 30%. Just watch their DI and regrab as soon as they land. It works and is inescapable.
-u-throw leads to a guaranteed u-air on some characters like Sheik, Y. Link, etc etc

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I've already read the stickies. And thanks. That pretty much sums it up.

I'm starting to understand why people were angry about YL being replaced by TL in brawl. They're so ridiculously different.

Also, I love how in Star Fox, use bombs wisely translates to "spam a bomb now".

Also, bomb trapping people is hella fun.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
4 things ruin Brawl for me. I don't mind the floatiness, I'm one of those who likes Falco's new moves, and the campiness doesn't really bother me, different game and all that.

1. Meta Knight. **** Metaknight.
2. Nonspecifically lack of shield stun, specifically Ice Climbers. **** Ice Climbers.
3. Lack of Mewtwo. **** Lucario.
4. Tripping. **** Sakurai.

Anyways, to each his own, w/e.

Anyways, are there some tutorial vids for Young Link lying around? Or better yet, recent matches?

rhan

Smash Hero
Toon Link is so ridiculously boring.
He's so slow and just, his aerials are boring to not fun, just overall he isn't the least bit fun.
Then again thats the entire game lol
I hate TL's design all together. And the fact that people call him the same as YL makes me even more pissed off being a hardcore LoZ fan. >_>

Fake *** power puff girl...

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
^ Your boomerang game got much better :) I will critique it maybe tm if you want. I have work today (And tm actually)

I just had a really good idea. When the opponent misses a tech or is about to tech you should always throw your boomerang. It will cover the option of them rolling away, get up attack, regular stand up. They could roll towards you....but they probably won't. Whether they will or not will depend on if you have a bomb and where your (and there) position is.

Thoughts?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Does YL not really use wavedashing? It seems like he's in the air most of the time. Only real use I can see personally is if you're trying to DTilt spike and are paranoid about sweetspotting by accident.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Wavedashing isn't used as much as someone like falco or luigi AFAIK. It's used mostly to get off platforms and dodge attacks. Usually like, WD off plat (with bomb in hand) -> boomerang -> bomb throw.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
U-throw -> d-smash seems like a sub-optimal choice. Up-smash is always going to lead to a better position/more damanging situation imo.
uthrow usmash only works at higherish percents. uthrow dsmash combos at lower percents, plus you can get a bit of a charge in. it's better to have your opponent go off the stage than get a cute combo that probably won't kill because this character sucks. it's going to be the better choice a lot of the time, especially if you're by the edge.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
did I imply that it wasn't situational? of course it's situational. I said "it's going to be the better choice a lot of the time", which means that there are times when it isn't. you said "up-smash is always going to lead to a better position/more damanging situation", which implies that you should never downsmash after an uthrow, because upsmash is always going to be better.

sorry if this seems crass, I'm just trying to point out that you're saying I didn't say it was situational, when my language implied it.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
^ Your boomerang game got much better :) I will critique it maybe tm if you want. I have work today (And tm actually)

I just had a really good idea. When the opponent misses a tech or is about to tech you should always throw your boomerang. It will cover the option of them rolling away, get up attack, regular stand up. They could roll towards you....but they probably won't. Whether they will or not will depend on if you have a bomb and where your (and there) position is.

Thoughts?
feel free to critique the video

also, boomerang to hurt teching options sounds good to me :bee:

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
young link takes no skill...just throw a bunch of bombs and you can play even with all top/high tiers np. the other character basically needs to master the matchup to stand a chance. so gay.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I disagree. It is really hard for Ylink to do anything vs higher tiers. I think the people that lose to Ylinks are just kinda stupid. I mean it's BLATANTLY OBVIOUS that you only have to do 1 thing to beat Ylink.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
I'd say you can't spam against falco, so a good strategy is to stay near him.
Although i can imagine playing a good falco like DrPP and probably there is nothing a Ylink can do....

Well, when i play Falcos, i don't do bad.
Uair wins against anything, and falco's like to come Dair-ing at you, so use it as a counter, and also as a combo move.
Edgeguarding Falco is reaaally easy with YLink, can cover some options with boomerang and arrows and then go for Nair.
Be carefull when Bair-ing Falco, CC -> Shine -> death combo. Fair can be good if spaced well.
Sometimes arrows can be better spam, they have nice startup and little ending lag, probably harder to get the hit, but if you master them it isn't that hard and they are really good at bothering.
Nair is your friend, and probably the only killing move against a good falco. I find really hard to land a Dsmash.
Bombs and boomerangs whenever you get the chance =)

n0ne

Smash Ace
Falcos not that bad tho bcuz of Ylinks nice gimps against him. IMO hardest MU is fox because of hurting star KOs and hard to gimp chances becuase of Foxs Up B capable of burning as opposed of Falcos.

Marths hard but is manageable. Sheiks gay ...: keep ur distance against her. U air wrecks her.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Marth is easy. Falco isn't free, but he'll have trouble doing anything to you if you camp the platforms. Sheik has trouble approaching you, but once she gets close you're toast. So keep your distance.

Fox/Falcon counter YL.

Top Bottom