• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link Match Up Discussion. Ask Questions Here!

n0ne

Smash Ace
hmmm... well i do it by just pulling back normally on joystick. but what i DO do i that "claw" thing i think its called with x and b

rhan

Smash Hero
Samus v YL info:

47-53

I second/main Samus. My brother is about my skill level and mains Samus and plays Young Link. lol This match is weirdest.

Samus v Young Link is a projectile game. Missles are easily broken but can really **** up a Young Link player. Nair break them easiest. But it's probably better to avoid them as much as possible then just risk attacking them. Main killing moves against Samus is Uair/Dair. Nair's a nice move to use for that hit. Samus' Nair and YL's Nair are very simular. While Young Link's is faster Samus' covers more ground. They both are both just as deadly effective. Samus is most deadly on the ground so once you get her in the air keep her there. The only options she legitimately have when she's in the air is to either falling Nair or Bomb to mindgame while returning to land. Once she's on the ground then her main strat is to poke at you and bait an approach. Then she'll CC everything you'll do and follow up with a good punish (F-Smash depending on what move you attacked with but more then likely a D-Smash). Her Ftilt sends back our boomerang and bombs are easily catchable for her.

Young Link's main goal is to get a projectile setup. Or any kid of set up. Utilt/U-Smash works when she's trying to come from above. Once she';s off the stage the best recovery option she has if trying to go for the edge is Up B. If she misses the sweet spot then it's a free Dtilt/D-smash. But if she does it right there isn't anything you can do. Maybe place a bomb on the edge of the stage to prevent a sweet spot that will either force her to make sure she gets that PERFECT sweet spot. Or grapple. If she grapples it's easy to follow up afterwards. If you're on the edge just wait for her to zip and you just edge hop Dair. EZ mode.

Summary: 47 - 53. It's not a bad match for Samus but it's not exactly all that great either. Young Link has teh ability to be quick enough to follow up from about everything he does and Samus' limited options in air and upon recovery make it easy to get a kill. But when she's on the ground that's when we're in trouble.

Reference Matches (YL v Sammy)

Laijin v Dogy
Vwins v Lanowen
NinjaLink v Oil
Rhan v Rob

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I just realized this. There is no thread here that has the gifs of YL's hitboxes. I know that some of the boards have them. Is it really all that necessary to have? Also, good samus tips!

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
...he doesn't have young link's hitboxes! Well then, I'll try and get my brother to record them as one video. Then someone can just chop it up into gifs.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I've been making progress lately :) I pulled off like some 80% combo on my brothers Falco earlier. I'm trying to get more utilt and Usmashes lately.

rhan

Smash Hero
I was suppose to be the one to grab the hit boxes of YL. But the emulator wouldn't play the ROM on my computer.

But the frame data is pretty much similar to Link's.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Yeah i'm sure it's similar. But doesn't Ylink's Dsmash hitbox thats supposed to be behind him, is a little infront of him? It *****, it always hits lol.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Ledge pulling. Discussion over.

WHatya guys think about the samus Ylink MU? I've never played it before :(
ledge pull can easily be confused with simply pulling a bomb out while on the edge.

its a bad name because it doesn't make note of the regrab, which is the point od the technique in the first place.

bomb regrab, bomb pull regrab, pull regrab, boomregrab lol. or don't name it...call it as is. ledgehop bomb pull regrab.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I'll be recording the hitboxes tonight. Not sure if the GIFs will all be done tonight though. Also, dsmash DOES have a hitbox on the opposite side of YL. LOL

rhan

Smash Hero
Old news. But I am curious on seeing how big it actually is and how long it lasts.

And when I said Link's and Young Link's frame data is the same. I meant that they're moves start and stop at the same time minus the Nair.

Also when you pull the hitboxes don't forget to get Young Link just standing because he does drop his shield and I'm curious on when he does regarding the frames and such.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Okay, I may have to have the standing recorded later. I did not have that recorded. I also forgot to record dash attack, get up attack, pummel(is this needed?), ledge attack under 100%, and ledge attack over 100%

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I have the video, I am just trying to chop it up now. I need to get a new program because even though I can enter 2.63 and 3.4 it makes it 2 and 3. I will have the chopped up parts done soon then I need to convert it to .GIF I'll make a thread for it when it is done.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Because of you guys I've been trying to throw out more Usmashes cause they ****. Does it have good priority? I can usually Usmash>Dair. I just need to find more situations where I can use Usmash.

If like...Falcon is above me and he's gonna come down with a dair or far can I just Usmash him out of it?

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
probably won't work, i think there are really few things that can win in priority against Falcon's Dair, like Marths Utilt, but its a lot easier since it comes really fast.
Ylink's Usmash is probably good used when you are standing behind someone, hopefully a mid/big char. probably against jigs you will get rested, idk really, im just speculating xd.

also it can be used oos, like cosmo does with zelda, its hard though to get used, and maybe NAIRing/bair oos is a better option :p

funny fact: probably most of you know, that if you Usmash facing the other direction, the 3rd hit sends sideways and not upwards, maybe it could be used for ultimate humility edgeguard xd

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
LOL man just play the game and you'll see!

link is slower. sword has more range, bombs are almost the same, the main diff is the char's movement speed makes using them different. boomerang trajectory is farther and more straight. can control mid range space better than ylink cuz of his longer sword. has better ko moves, especially upB, dsmash, uair

ylink is faster, jumps higher with much better horizontal aerial movement, so he can run away much more easily. because of this, it's easier to chain bombs into aerials. boomerang has wider variety of angles. small close range, but the moves are faster and can combo into each other well

basicz

Laijin

Smash Hero
LOL man just play the game and you'll see!

link is slower. sword has more range, bombs are almost the same, the main diff is the char's movement speed makes using them different. boomerang trajectory is farther and more straight. can control mid range space better than ylink cuz of his longer sword. has better ko moves, especially upB, dsmash, uair

ylink is faster, jumps higher with much better horizontal aerial movement, so he can run away much more easily. because of this, it's easier to chain bombs into aerials. boomerang has wider variety of angles. small close range, but the moves are faster and can combo into each other well

basicz
tl;dr
Young Link is the better character

rhan

Smash Hero
tl;dr
Young Link is the better character
LOL I thought you said Link was better once upon a time? aka Pound 4. :troll:

But the differences (I feel like I said this too many times before.. -_-):

-Arrow charge time is faster for YL.
-Bombs fuse is longer and the bombs have multiple hits.
-Range has more control and can produce the same angles Link can.
-D-Smash with YL can send straight you like Link's if hit more towards the center of the hit.
-YL's Nair is worse.
-YL's main kill move is D-Smash while Link's is more-so up B.
-Link doesn't drop his shield in the standing motion while YL does.
-YL's faster and smaller but light and die easier.
-Link's heavy and can survive at higher percents.
-YL has a wall jump.
-YL's chain is smaller but the up B recovery convers more horizontal/vertical distance then Link.
-Link can bomb jump for a recovery as long as his up B is fresh.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Also keep this in mind for recovery. If you zair the stage while being next to it, you go into special fall, right? Do a rising grapple special fall. You will gain a bunch of momentum.

In order of momentum:
Samus > YL > Link

I haven't seen a lot of people use it, but it mixes things up.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
^ I thought rising zair only helped Samus?

I'm gonna be recording my Ylink a lot more. So maybe I should post here for a critique eventually?

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
if you're close enough to the wall to do a rising zair cancel, then just sweetspot the up-b. it's a lot less risky. I'm pretty sure you need to use your double jump to get anything good out of a rising zair cancel anyway, so it's not worth using.

since when does dashdancedan play young link?

Top Bottom