• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link Match Up Discussion. Ask Questions Here!

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
armada learned young link by watching me lose to scrubs.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
I will be sad if young link moves up a lot. I like maining a perceived bad character.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
I do nair to uptilt waaaay too much on shield, especially falcon's. the backside of the hitbox is so stupidly huge. I love it.

rhan

Smash Hero
Best shield pressure (me thinks) is like jab -> slow second jab -> d-smash. Cuz the two leading jabs kinda fakeout into the d-smash which could lead into a shield pierce.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Except people tend to SH over the d-smash :( (though I get what you're saying with frame trapping and all that).

If you're behind them, up-smash is pretty good shield pressure though. :laugh:

Laijin

Smash Hero
lol. I've broken so many shields from up-smashing.
I condition my opponent to think I'm going to spot dodge after upsmashing for about half the match, then I suddenly stop spot dodging and instead do like four upsmashes in a row on their shield.
Pow.
Shield is a gone.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
AFAIK i haven't seen any doc discussion. any tips on the doc matchup? the darn cape ruins YL's projectles :[ also, marth. i try going in with a bomb and marth shield breakers or fsmashes the bomb. i try going in with zair and end up getting punished with fair. his range also causes trouble for me. tips?

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
on marth:
am, im almost sure neutral B can't stop projectiles.
but jab, ftilt, fsmash can.

i think marth is easy to grab, and can't punish too hard if you miss. after Dthrow you can start some combos.
always spam, but smartly, he can't keep stoping everything, carefull to spam too close cause he can tipper xo.
use ylink's speed to outplay him, run away, dashdance a lot, stuff like that.

against Doc, idk, never played one before, as you said, he capes all. just go aerials on him, shuffle nairs and again speed is the advantage. punish hard, mindgames, i really don't use a strategy against these characters, doc punishes really hard a missed grab, and don't Dsmash to much, he can short hop Fair you.
i remember now, the hardest part of this matchup was his Bair edgeguard, can gimp you easily so try to avoid that.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Thanks for the tips on marth. I'll try those out soon. I really want to put those doc tips to test but I don't play any docs. :( I am going to a tourney in april and i know some guy is going and he plays doc, so that's why i'm asking lol. Thanks a lot though.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I would say about Doc...

Doc usually approaches with a WD so try and throw projectiles low. If he does jump over your projectiles and tries to approach the only think he can really do is Nair or Fair. Both of them are slow and punishable so....punish :)

Pull out a bomb, then use boomerang or arrow, then throw bomb.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
thanks! btw i can't seem to do the ledge drop -> bomb pull -> jump -> ledge grab. I always fail the ledge grab by being too low and have to upB to the ledge. what is the window for this?

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
thanks! btw i can't seem to do the ledge drop -> bomb pull -> jump -> ledge grab. I always fail the ledge grab by being too low and have to upB to the ledge. what is the window for this?
you are pulling the bomb before you jump?

use back on the c-stick to ledge drop, and then immediately jump and pull a bomb at the same time. it's easier to go from c to be rather than rotate the control stick fast enough to ledge drop with the control stick and get down for the bomb pull.
anyway you do it's still hard as ****.

on marth:
am, im almost sure neutral B can't stop projectiles.
but jab, ftilt, fsmash can.

i think marth is easy to grab, and can't punish too hard if you miss. after Dthrow you can start some combos.
always spam, but smartly, he can't keep stoping everything, carefull to spam too close cause he can tipper xo.
use ylink's speed to outplay him, run away, dashdance a lot, stuff like that.
neutral b can stop projectiles; fair swats away projectiles too. any marth that is fsmashing to stop projectiles is ********.

if the marths you're playing aren't punishing you hard for grabbing, then they are terrible. it's easy for marth to bait, and it's REALLY easy to punish. there isn't any throw that's good against marth. his weight is awkward for young link to combo.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Oops, I meant to say ledge drop -> jump -> bomb pull -> ledge grab. Yeah, I'm trying the c stick ledge drop way, still having trouble doing it but I was able to do it a few times. Guess i'll just practice this a lot then. Thanks.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
okay, that makes sense.

it's tough, and I don't know if it is really worth learning. the ledge hop puts you in a pretty terrible position if they have any chance to punish it.

rhan

Smash Hero
The bomb regrab isn't useless. It's a high risk high reward kinda thing. I was able to pull it off at POund 5 with ease without even practicing it. Kinda amazed myself.

I don't know the specific frames. But I just hit down (To fall from the edge) and at the same time jump and you have like half a second to hit down B.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Bomb regrab is hella EZ. I doubt you keep your invincibility but Ill check tomorrow. The risk is greater than the reward tho. Its just a bomb, something you pull all the time lol. Id do it anyway tho.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Okay, I have it now.

The frame window for the ledge drop bomb pull is exactly 10 frames. This is made by jumping on one frame and then on the next frame doing the bomb pull. All that is left is to get a name for this AT. This is also made without fast falling. This is just hitting C stick or down to fall off the stage then doing jump + bomb pull.

Frames are jump on Frame X then on one frame after Frame X you pull bomb.

If you fastfall, it is a four frame window. Frames are jump on Frame X then on one frame after Frame X you pull bomb.

Frame data is now complete. Needs a name IMO.

The reason why it feels so hard to do is because people are probably holding down+B which causes them to fastfall and restricts them to the four frame window.

Top Bottom