• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link Match Up Discussion. Ask Questions Here!

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
This is a serious thread.

How the **** do you beat Marth.....

Seriously. He's so.....AGH. It's so annoying. Once he's in control there is no stoping him. It's either DI bad and get combo'd or DI good and get followed with more bull****. I just don't know what to do. And it's not just with Young Link. It's with every character in my arsenal. Sheik is about the only character I can play against him but even then he can out gay me. So what are some basic things I can do to ensure that I don't get screwed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zo093CcPao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyNzh9ir3KQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nOo3wp6GFk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8iqQ2-Sa5M

The most recent videos of the Marth I play against. Not his best preformances but it's at least something that gives visual aid on what I'm up against.
wtf

im not gay DDDD:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
to beat marth u just gotta be precise and focus and not dying early. u can stop him with rangs and bombs to setup stuff. idk its a dynamic matchup but i feel its only like 55-45 marth

one of ylinks easier top tier matchups fosho (tho im actually better against falco these days LOL.)

im done with complaining about falco. all u have to do is hit him with a bomb, seriously. and get knockdowns in any way possible.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
To beat Marth, just make him think he's safe doing things that aren't safe. Like if he ever full jumps/moves forward with an aerial, f-smashes, you can punish. As long as you don't stay in shield too much, he won't be landing many grabs.

rhan

Smash Hero
Only way to really beat Marth is so throw everything at him and try to find opening for grabs. Best combos are the safe ones.

Grabs lead into about anything and put you in control. Though they're risky cuz if YL misses it's a free anything he wants. Especially if it misses by a inch. It's pretty much tipper distance then.

Bombs are best. But his he's a catch happy Marth it can be annoying to deal with. So if that happens lay the bombs on platforms (assuming there are some) can help. He'll either feel the need to pick them up or watch where he swings his sword. Sometimes standing near those bombs will cause him to try and attack you but instead the bomb will get in the way.

Boomerang can be swatted away with a jab/fair. But at least he can't throw it back at us. It's just that start up lag and catching lag we have to deal with so it's not as safe as using bombs.

Arrows shouldn't be used.

Main killers are Dair/D-Smash/Nair (Possibly as an edge gaurd). Ftilt can be used to kill but the kill sweet spot of the move happens at the tip. Usually at higher percents too. It's not like Marth's tip that send them up and away. It's more like a pimp slap that sends them slightly down and just away.

Uairs are nice for keeping him off the ground.

Yup.

Edit: Falco's a pain in the ***. Once you hit him it's all about following up then. But it's so hard to get that first hit in. I hate it. Recently I've been playing it though. No success but there are a few pretty hilarious things that can happen in that match-up.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Bombs, Boomerang, and Nair are too good vs Falco; especially bombs and nairs OoS.

Just don't pick FD or PS.

I'm being extremely vague, but it don't matter!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
rhan and laijin

u guys are supposed to be like the heroes of the ylink boards

dont fail me now!

i definitely win matches vs falcos with ylink on fd! it can be done!

it's all about well timed bomb pulls and bomb knockdowns!

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm definitely no hero. I'm not even that great of a player.. lolol

But I play against probably one of the best Falcos in my region and I can honestly say there is no hope on FD. The stage with the most hope is YS or somewhere less flat.

rhan

Smash Hero
And still lost to the same Falco I'm talking about. So he knows what he's talking about when eh says it's impossible..

lmaooo

Laijin. <3

rhan

Smash Hero
Skler says courage is the worst part of the Tri Force...

Wisdom goes Top Tier and Power kills in 3 hits.

Courage is pretty much the opposite of how the character is played.. You throw **** and run for dear life.. lmaoooo

Laijin

Smash Hero
There is hope against Falco on stages with platforms. You can Platform combo that dude all day long. u-air combos for days and tech chase f-smash or n-air for the kill. But try facing that dude on a completely even ground? You're ****ed.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
What happened to Shiroi? He was one of my favourite Ylinks.

Glad to see Laijin and Rhan still keeping this (sorta) alive

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha, though i think courage can beat falco on fd!

it's true our main combo tool against him (being underneath and uairing him) is lost on FD, but it still doesn't change the fact that straight bomb throws beat lasers AND all of his aerials. it forces him to either shield or jump high or reflect, all of which give us some freedom to move. we do have horizontal tools, like dash attack, fair, and GRAB. and sometimes straight up nairing in his face before he throws out an aerial himself can work, ylink is faster than falco horizontally. if we are in a range where an sh laser isn't safe, we can actually fight!

his advantage is great on FD, but it's doable with the right tools :)

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
If a Falco is laser spamming you, you wont have time to be pulling out bombs on FD. The laser spam will force you to jump high to get over them or to pull your bombs out. A good Falco will take advantage of this.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
okay. that's what i thought. if falco full jumps, that gives us more than enough time to pull stuff out and/or get under him.

because of falco's jump height, there's not much he can do to stop a bomb from coming out if ylink chooses to full jump bomb pull. falco's best option here is to close the distance before ylink can be in a good position to throw.

we can also choose to double jump bomb pull, which gives us the option of throwing on our way down, but this is risky if falco gets under us, and also because falco's double jump and full hop lasers can actually hit us at the top, AND gives falco more time to get under ylink.

anyway, as long as we're holding a bomb we can fight falco. if we're not holding a bomb, we have to some way get in a position to hit him with nair, fair, uair, grab, or SOMETHING that will knock him down, which is really hard.

Top Bottom