• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'd feel better about it if they actually understood the issues at hand, not just freak out over the uproar.

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing-xbox-one-drm-514390310
Don Mattrick said:
"After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again."
I know plenty of people who play Xbox religiously and don't ever connect even once to the Internet.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm worried that after selling 10 million consoles, they will force a mandatory update to the terms of service that will bring all of this stuff back anyway. The technology will be there in your home. Now all they need is a 30 page legal document and for all of us to highlight "I accept".

Honestly, I wanted to watch microsoft die. But in the end, this war is between ps4, xbone and PC. None are special, but most gamers will need to pick one for "next gen" gaming.

I think down the line, with a price drop and the release of hard hitters in 2014, most pc, ps and xb gamers will pick up a wii u as well and Nintendo will "win" without fighting for number 1. Nintendo really has the strongest exclusive lineup and probably always will. The things I used to associate with Sony have gone multi platform and the things I once thought I could like about microsoft (basically just rareware) have been killed off completely.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Remember when we used to think that nothing could be worse than Sony's 2006 press conference?
Nintendo's 2008 Conference.

Also while I am glad they decided to change thier policies, I too feelit was far too late-the public has caught wind of the negative feedback, and unless they launch major campaigns no one is gonna get one. also they lost a lot of people's trust.

Tesh

Smash Hero
im not sure how damaged they are at this point, alot of their fans stood by them from what i can tell, AND preorders for both systems maxed out from what i heard.

finalark

SNORLAX
I just want to play Killer Instinct. That's all I really want.

I'm really not sure what the KI3 hype is for, seeing how the studio behind it has only ever made cheap movie-licence games.

That aside, I've pretty much exclusively owned Sony/SEGA and later Nintendo consoles my whole life. I still would have gotten a PS4 even if MS never pulled any of this nonsense in the first place.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If I were now excited about buying the 180, I'd still wait it out to see if MS later implements the DRM once they get enough sales.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Turns out that the Xbox One's game sharing plan was nothing more than demos.

When Microsoft announced yesterday that they were backpedaling a bit on their always-online and DRM policies for the Xbox One, you could almost hear the collective cheers across the world for consumers and Xbox fans. It would seem that if consumers are happy, and therefore they are now buying your products, then the company itself would be happy. As revealed in one Xbox employee's blog, that isn't entirely the case. In fact, this one employee laments Microsoft's ruling quite heavily.

However, this isn't the most interesting tidbit that came out in the blog post. The employee laid out more details on Microsoft's family sharing plan, which actually ended up sounding worse than it originally did from the conference. It originally seemed that sharing would lend someone the digital game for a set period of time one time and one time only. It turns out that this mode of sharing was really just a demo of the game that other users could save.

Anyone who you deem to be family had access to these games regardless of where they are in the world. There was never any catch to that, they didn’t have to share the same billing address or physical address it could be anyone. When your family member accesses any of your games, they’re placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game...The difference between the family sharing and the typical store demo is that your progress is saved as if it was the full game, and the data that was installed for that shared game doesn’t need to be erased when they purchase the full game!

That's not exactly my idea of lending a game to a friend or a family member. Even e-books let you read the book all the way through within the lending time period (about 2 weeks).

The blogger goes on to say that they are no longer moving forward with this feature, and I can't say I'm sorry I won't get to experience this for myself.

Sedda

Smash Champion
lol GG's Microsoft.

They're acting like an abusive spouse, and their dumb fans just keep on going back to them

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
If Microsoft stops consorting with the NSA, ditches the spy cam and drops the price of the Xbox One by $100 I may reconsider but at this point their new console is dead to me. :mad:

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
lol the X-Bone.
prolly will only buy if they release Halo2 EXACT physics with updated graphics. wont happen though i wager

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
To be honest, that deal with the family plan demos just seems to be just a bad rumor.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
To be honest, it's STILL $100 more expensive than the PS4, has that annoying Kinect thing, and a LOT more uneasiness and "uhh...." questions about it. So while it SOUNDS nice that they might be cutting back on some of those things, that they even implemented them in the first place is reason enough for me to NOT buy one.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I'm going to echo the sentiment expressed earlier. The only reason why Microsoft backpedaled on their restrictive policies was because they were getting slaughtered in pre-release sales. If they had it their way, they'd still be going full steam ahead with plan A. There's no guarantee they won't add this stuff back later on via software updates and EULA modifications, either. I won't be buying an Xbox One, but I also won't be picking up a PlayStation 4. At least, not until its library is bigger.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm going to echo the sentiment expressed earlier. The only reason why Microsoft backpedaled on their restrictive policies was because they were getting slaughtered in pre-release sales. If they had it their way, they'd still be going full steam ahead with plan A. There's no guarantee they won't add this stuff back later on via software updates and EULA modifications, either. I won't be buying an Xbox One, but I also won't be picking up a PlayStation 4. At least, not until its library is bigger.

Well, let's be honest, buying a console within the first year of its lifespan is usually a pretty bad idea anyway. I've already decided I'm getting a PS4, but not until at least a year after it's been out. That way when I finally get one there will be a solid amount of games that I actually want to play on it. I learned my lesson when I bought a Wii at launch and I ended up buying titles I really had no interest in just to have something to play on the damn thing.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Well, let's be honest, buying a console within the first year of its lifespan is usually a pretty bad idea anyway. I've already decided I'm getting a PS4, but not until at least a year after it's been out. That way when I finally get one there will be a solid amount of games that I actually want to play on it. I learned my lesson when I bought a Wii at launch and I ended up buying titles I really had no interest in just to have something to play on the damn thing.

I was in the same situation with my Wii until Metroid Prime 3: Corruption came out in 2007. On an Xbox One-related note, Titanfall was the only title that might have convinced me to buy one, and it's multi-platform.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Microsoft's problem was that they pushed a digital only market too soon for consoles. PC has been digital only for awhile (Yes, I am aware that they still send physical copies of PC games for some PC games, but most games are sold and purchased digital only,) and it is a much better system. Games get a price reduction sooner than consoles, and there is always a sale of some kind going on.

The problem about consoles is that they have been relying on physical copies for far too long. Naturally, you try to change something, people will freak out and start crying foul play whenever they get the chance. However, even if you do side with Sony, you need to understand that they will be pushing more towards digital sales as well in the future.

Microsoft had the right idea, but they tried to change things too soon. Not agreeing with everything they have been doing, but a digital market has my seal of approval.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I agree that eventually things will be much more of a digital process (hell, there was even the thought of a "digital only" system waaay back in the days of "The Phantom"), but I feel like it needs to be much more of a slow burn so you change 1 thing at a time instead of everything at once.

finalark

SNORLAX
I agree that eventually things will be much more of a digital process (hell, there was even the thought of a "digital only" system waaay back in the days of "The Phantom"), but I feel like it needs to be much more of a slow burn so you change 1 thing at a time instead of everything at once.

Not to mention that once support of that console is dropped BAM. There goes all of your games. Sure, you might be able to play the game you had on the console but not only can you not buy any new ones but if you have games you own that aren't downloaded you can't get them back.

IMO digital only is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. Hell, even today with PC games I'll get a disk if I can.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Microsoft's problem was that they pushed a digital only market too soon for consoles. PC has been digital only for awhile (Yes, I am aware that they still send physical copies of PC games for some PC games, but most games are sold and purchased digital only,) and it is a much better system. Games get a price reduction sooner than consoles, and there is always a sale of some kind going on.
But you're buying games riddled with DRM, and are frequently of lower quality than you would otherwise get because they're just sloppily ported over to PCs.

I fail to see how that is a better system.

physical merchandise > digital. i don't see that changing for me even long after physical gets deserted completely.

Sedda

Smash Champion

The problem about consoles is that they have been relying on physical copies for far too long. Naturally, you try to change something, people will freak out and start crying foul play whenever they get the chance. However, even if you do side with Sony, you need to understand that they will be pushing more towards digital sales as well in the future.

Microsoft had the right idea, but they tried to change things too soon. Not agreeing with everything they have been doing, but a digital market has my seal of approval.
I have no problem with a digital market, but their #1 priority right now isn't innovation or moving towards the future. It's more like "let's see how much money we can pocket right now."

You don't have to take away my right to lend my games or sell them used just because they're distributed digitally. They can easily come up with a system where you could "lend" a game to a friend digitally and the game can only be played on one console at a time. They also failed to answer the question of ensuring that gamers will actually own their games and won't just disappear whenever they want to change platforms again or turn off the switch.

Of course, this is all a business, but video game companies have to keep their interest in gaining money balanced with innovation and appealing to the gamers. People ACTUALLY think that they listened to their criticism, but we all know that's not true. As weak as Nintendo's initial launch line ups have been these last 8 years, I have to say that they never disappoint me. I can still go back and play Mario 64 because it's such a solid game on a solid console, and now that the wii is dead, I bought one for something like 30 bucks to play some games that I missed. They're very consistent and they don't bull**** you. Microsoft is the opposite. I hope that Sony learns from this so that they can never pull any nonsense and keep their eyes on the true price unlike Micro$oft.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
But you're buying games riddled with DRM, and are frequently of lower quality than you would otherwise get because they're just sloppily ported over to PCs.

I fail to see how that is a better system.

physical merchandise > digital. i don't see that changing for me even long after physical gets deserted completely.
2 words: Steam Sales.

Also, some games just play better on PC and are only available on PC. However, that was not the point I was trying to make. What I was saying is that, in the long run, a digital market has more benefits than a physical one, since digital would become cheaper sooner, via frequent sales. It'll please producers with the extra profits, and more importantly, please the consumer, as they can get games on the cheap more frequently than before.

It'll definitely be a slow process to work towards a digital market that allows you to sell games to one another, and possibly even loan games out to others, but it'll get there with time. A lot of time.

And I will definitely agree with Sedda: this industry lacks innovation. Sadly, innovation is just too risky nowadays. Companies love to play it safe because they are in it for the money. No money, no more games.

D

Deleted member

As much as I wish it wasn't true, steam is very much an outlier when it comes to digital markets, and even in steam there are many games, mostly those AAA ones that don't actually get cheaper sooner (see: mw3). Sales and games being cheaper has nothing to do with the distribution platform (steam) or the console (pc) but mostly with the team behind it (valve). Yes a digital market has advantages (buying from home, backups, automatic updates) but it also has major disadvantages (you don't own the game, you need good internet, dependence on servers working), and I'm not expecting a steam-like quality of prices anywhere else either.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
The Kinect Dilemma
It isn't just the fact that Microsoft has betrayed the public trust and consorted with the reckless National Security Agency (NSA) to spy on millions of innocent Americans; it's also the possibility that somebody else will hack in to Kinect and abuse it the way journalists working at News of the World in the UK did with cell phones.

I'm just not comfortable with somebody, be it a government employee or otherwise, using the Kinect spy cam to surveil me and my family. For all we know some perverted government employee will use the technology to pleasure himself while watching our girlfriends, wives or daughters and that's beyond creepy to me.

If Microsoft becomes a partner in the Stop Watching Us campaign maybe I'll start trusting them again but until then I consider the Xbox One to be stillborn.​

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
i feel like that was just a way for you to advertise that site.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Be that as it may, he still brings up valid points, and despite not being American (so me supporting that really might come across as me butting in), I'm tempted to agree.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
i feel like that was just a way for you to advertise that site.
If I simply wanted to promote the campaign to put a stop to the NSA's unconstitutional dragnet surveillance via PRISM I wouldn't have needed three paragraphs to do so. Nonetheless, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

In my circle of friends none of us are happy with Microsoft's decision to make the Kinect peripheral standard and we certainly don't like paying $100 more than what a PS4 will cost for it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Microsoft and Nintendo have made the same mistake there it seems. They are both forcing a cool but non-essential peripheral into the standard package of every system.

Top Bottom