• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox

Sedda

Smash Champion
I'd say they're still very different. Nintendo had to stick with their wii remote for a whole generation, so they're experienced in the "make creative use of peripherals" department. The touch screen isn't barely new either, since they had the ds to work that out as well.

Both Sony and Microsoft came into the unnecessary peripheral game because they wanted to challenge Nintendo, but I guess they didn't have any good plans for that lol. They only thing they've come up with is their own platforms for building and sculpting worlds, whereas Nintendo is actually trying to push for gameplay innovation on THEIR OWN peripherals, defeating the purpose of competing directly with whatever the other two companies are doing.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Microsoft and Nintendo have made the same mistake there it seems. They are both forcing a cool but non-essential peripheral into the standard package of every system.
I'm waiting for Nintendo to show me a game that shows me what the gamepad is capable of. Too bad that also means at the cost of off-tv play at the same time. I don't know how much this version of the Kinect costs Microsoft to package it in for every console, but Nintendo has said that the gamepad is pretty much a 100 dollars.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Off screen play is a tough trade sometimes. I'll say that from the games I own, I think Zombii U, NSMB U and sonic allstars racing transformed/ninja gaiden all did a great job in their own categories.

Zombii U is a great game that forces the use of 2 screens. I know some have said the gamepad just functions as a live menu, but I thought it was great having essentially 10 extra buttons and no pausing (this is a BIG deal in creating a good survival horror game). Quickly scrambling through your inventory and looking up to see zombies creeping up was awesome.

NSMB U's boost mode is like an added feature when using the gamepad in multiplayer without cheapening the value of playing without the TV.

sonic and ninja gaiden are like any other multi platform game that was lucky enough to land on the wii u as well, just great fun with the bonus of being able to curl up into any position on your bed/couch/bus/porch and have a great view of the screen.

If the gamepad truly is 100 bucks, thats a big deal. If the Wii U could have sold for 100 dollars in a truly bare bones package, it could really sell like hotcakes. Sony apparently did this with the Ps3 to get the price under the Xbox. Quite frankly I think touch gaming has so far been far more rewarding than motion gaming (though the wii u has both so great).

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I’ve just learned that Kinect 2.0 works by shooting photons at people and everybody knows that the National Security Agency (NSA) also uses those for their psychotronic (mind control) technology. I know it sounds funny at first but here’s an article explaining how Russian President Vladimir Putin is developing something similar to use against his own country’s dissidents.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...un-attack-victims-central-nervous-system.html

Research into electromagnetic weapons has been secretly carried out in the US and Russia since the Fifties. But now it appears Mr Putin has stolen a march on the Americans. Precise details of the Russian gun have not been revealed. However, previous research has shown that low-frequency waves or beams can affect brain cells, alter psychological states and make it possible to transmit suggestions and commands directly into someone’s thought processes.

Don't leak this to anyone but here are the details of the NSA's mind control program in it's early stages of development from all the way back in 1999.

http://www.whale.to/b/nsa4.html

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Xbox One Will Watch You Watching It :urg:

The Xbox One may suck quite a bit less now that the company has backed off restrictive DRM, but the console may still raise the bar for annoying snoopvertising. If you recall, Microsoft was one of several companies to patent the idea of using set-top device embedded cameras to watch people in living rooms, then use that data for targeted advertising purposes. A Technical Account Manager for Xbox LIVE Advertising tells StickTwiddlers.com the Xbox One takes ads to a whole new level, and the dashboard was designed specifically with targeted advertising in mind:

Kinect could detect how many users are in the room and could serve advertisements aimed at families, groups, or individuals. Additional information from your Xbox LIVE account could also influence these by using metrics such as your gender, age, location, media habits and more, and Microsoft are very aware of the potential around this.

The ad exec proceeds to insist that Microsoft doesn't yet receive all of the biometric data collected by the Kinect sensor (like heart rate and current mood), but with consumer protections on this front being virtually nonexistent -- it seems like only a matter of time before your Xbox One starts selling you antidepressants and ice cream when you're down.
At this point you couldn't give me an Xbox One for free.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
German Official: Xbox One Spying Capabilities a "Twisted Nightmare"

Now Microsoft has a new Xbox-related headache courtesy of Germany’s privacy chief, who is alarmed by its potential intrusive surveillance capabilities.

The complaint stems from the latest version of the motion-sensing Kinect technology. The Kinect device designed for the Xbox One can monitor users’ movements with a camera that sees in the dark, picks up voice commands with a microphone, and reads your heart rate using infrared cameras that track blood flow underneath the skin. Because the device is connected to the Internet, malicious hackers could potentially hijack the console and use it for spying.
Germany privacy chief Peter Schaar calls Xbox One a "twisted nightmare" for Kinect spying potential.

Tesh

Smash Hero
The Kinect could be as harmless as the Wii U Gamepad (its intent i mean), which also has a camera and microphone. Both are mandatory because they are expensive peripherals that nintendo and microsoft would be unable to sell separately for the few games that will truly use them.

Although, the wii u doesn't seem to require the gamepad at all (aside from games and applications that require it), so i guess it wouldn't be able to keep an eye on you if u have it tucked away in a case with the battery out.

For the record, most laptops have a built in microphone and camera pointed at you that can also be hijacked by hackers. Hell, most phones and mp3 players have a camera and microphone.

The only new stuff is infrared, and if a hacker hijacks any of the devices I mentioned above , this wouldn't even get to be the final nail in the coffin.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
At $500 I find the Xbox One to be too expensive especially when I can get a more powerful PS4 for $100 less.

If somebody gave me an Xbox One I'd probably sell it to buy a PS4; if I already owned the PS4 I'd sell the XB 1 to buy games; if I already had all the games I wanted then I'd sell it to buy a Wii U...

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Still way too late in my books. When developer announces a bunch of ridiculously stupid things, and then backs out of doing them, I'm not going to feel obligated to support or reward them because of the fact they implemented them in the first place. Like, if somebody is going to kill me and as a gun to my head, I'm not going to be all "thank you for saving my life" and reward them for NOT shooting me without reason.

Tesh

Smash Hero
So now why is it in the box driving the price up then? Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft isn't actually going to do anything to take advantage of motion controls beyond ****ty kinect games that everyone hates.

They have backtracked so hard, they could just lower the price and get more people to buy it at the same price as ps4. All they need to do now is lower the price of gold to the same as playstation plus and they are in.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So now why is it in the box driving the price up then? Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft isn't actually going to do anything to take advantage of motion controls beyond ****ty kinect games that everyone hates.

They have backtracked so hard, they could just lower the price and get more people to buy it at the same price as ps4. All they need to do now is lower the price of gold to the same as playstation plus and they are in.

This IS Microsoft we're talking about here. Sony's kinda been a good bit smarter and less underhanded since 2008, I feel.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I just heard the Phil Fish is retiring from polytron, as well as cancelling Fez 2 after some sort of fight with a GameTrailers reviewer.

What.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Yeah, It does.

I'm a little disappointed about Fez 2 being cancelled. I know Phil is a jerk, but I'm also believing GameTrailers went a little too far.
Dunno.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
GameTrailers nowadays tends to go a little far on everything, and a lot of their reviews and stuff are kind of questionable. But...I can only MOSTLY hate them, since they at least do PopFiction.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Sounds like a big baby to me. Arguing over twitter caused that? Some of these indie developers probably just have emotional issues that keep them from working in a large group in the first place.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Even if the NSA leaks by brave whistleblower Edward Snowden haven’t completely ruined the Xbox One’s chances the fact that the system will probably drop in price by $100 soon after launch has. There’s simply no way Microsoft will be able to justify a $100 premium over the more desirable PS4 once the launch numbers on the two systems are tallied.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm pretty much expecting the same fate that the Saturn had to befall the Xbone. Except without all of the awesome exclusives since MS has no IPs outside of Gears and Halo that they're wiling to work with.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Killer Instinct looks interesting, but maybe it's just nostalgia

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm really not surprised at that. Nor am I surprised about the PS4's light of death. I swear, the more advanced consoles get the more likely that something will go wrong with them.

Then again, the NES and PS1 had some hardware issues too.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Anyone who buys an Xbone deserves to have it not work.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Anyone who buys an Xbone deserves to have it not work.

Lol, I'm admittedly tempted to agree as at times I feel like we as a gaming community should collectively band against the XB1 and refuse to by them with hopes of making the total system sales be under 2000 because of the business practices with the system or games lime KI3.

However, wishing that the system someone spent $500 doesn't work, is kinda like saying you hope they lose $500 and all that, and I'm not really for wishing for misfortunes on the consumer. Now...on Microsoft themselves, lol.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Lol, I'm admittedly tempted to agree as at times I feel like we as a gaming community should collectively band against the XB1 and refuse to by them with hopes of making the total system sales be under 2000 because of the business practices with the system or games lime KI3.

However, wishing that the system someone spent $500 doesn't work, is kinda like saying you hope they lose $500 and all that, and I'm not really for wishing for misfortunes on the consumer. Now...on Microsoft themselves, lol.
I have no sympathy for marks.

Top Bottom