• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Xbox One Early Adopters Reporting Hardware Problems - IGN
Update: One of IGN's office machines suffers from the same disc drive problem many have reported. When a disc is inserted, the Xbox One makes a grinding noise, but the disc is unaffected. However, Xbox One won't read any game discs. "Sorry, we can't play the disc," a notification says. "Try an Xbox One game, a music CD, or a movie on Blu-ray or DVD."
This is probably going to be the final nail in the Xbox One's coffin.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
They might as well start ****ting on your carpets and hurling racial abuse at this point.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, say goodbye to all the annoying 10 year old COD kids that actually get their parents to spend money on your crap Microsoft because they don't understand anything yet.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I don't know if it's bad karma from helping the NSA spy on innocent Americans but everything seems to be falling apart for Microsoft with respect to the Xbox One.

Personally, I believe that Microsoft should sue the NSA in court for damages. Block all the backdoors they installed for the NSA in hardware, software and the Operating Systems. Then MS should redesign the XB1 with out the Kinect spycam and call the new console "The Xbox Liberty". Sadly, in the Hunger Games world we live in that'll never happen. :(

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
The best thing would just be for gamers as a whole to just take a stance against all that and refuse to buy anything Xbone related so that the sales numbers are pitiful and Microsoft loses a ton of money. Of course...unfortunately the mass casual gamers will always kind of be seen in the light of having sheeplike tendencies for things like this so while the "smart gamers" or "hardcore gamers" or whatever will stay away, the younger crowd that doesn't know any better because all the stuff just seems like garbled nonsense to them, will still go to it and then cry when they get banned for swearing like mad playing COD like most little kids do when they discover swear words.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
All the stores near me have plenty of Xbox One's in stock yet hardly anybody is buying them. Personally, I'd rather lose a limb than allow a SpyBox One in to my home. I wouldn't even want one if you tried to give it to me for free.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
All the stores near me have plenty of Xbox One's in stock yet hardly anybody is buying them. Personally, I'd rather lose a limb than allow a SpyBox One in to my home. I wouldn't even want one if you tried to give it to me for free.
I'm sure it's good for $120 store credit at Gamestop, so you could always just take it back for that.

Bartholin

Smash Cadet
Am I the only one who actually really wants an Xbone / XB1 ?!
Ryse, Forza, Killer Instinct, Halo, Dead Rising 3....

^All exclusives I want. I don't see how theres any for the PS4 that really compete. IMO Forza has always been better than GT, Halo better than Killzone, etc..

finalark

SNORLAX
PlayStation 4 is 100 bucks cheaper, and so far the only next-gen game that I care about is multiplatform.

And that's my take on that.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I'm just gonna say Halo being better than Killzone isn't really a big deal since well...most people never really overly cared about Killzone in the first place. Ryse is supposed to be pretty bad, Dead Rising 3 is apparently pretty repetitive, and well...I dare not 10-peat myself on KI.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm just gonna say Halo being better than Killzone isn't really a big deal since well...most people never really overly cared about Killzone in the first place. Ryse is supposed to be pretty bad, Dead Rising 3 is apparently pretty repetitive, and well...I dare not 10-peat myself on KI.
I'll be honest, I always thought Sony was kind of clutching for straws when they started drumming up the Killzone series as their answer to Halo during the PS3 era. IMO the original PS2 game was pretty underwhelming and average at best. I pretty much felt the same way about Killzone 2. I guess the series has its fans though, since Sony keeps pumping them out.

I also have heard Rise is bad, IMO the Dead Rising series has always been kinda iffy in terms of quality. Sure, they're fun to just kind of **** around in but I would never pay the full $60 price tag for any of them. Not to mention that Capcom has a history of backstabbing console manufacturers when they promise certain games will be exclusive (just ask Nintendo). As for KI... well, I personally didn't grow up with any of the games so when I finally gave them a go they just kind of came off as a more combo-oriented Mortal Kombat.

Bartholin

Smash Cadet
I'll be honest, I always thought Sony was kind of clutching for straws when they started drumming up the Killzone series as their answer to Halo during the PS3 era. IMO the original PS2 game was pretty underwhelming and average at best. I pretty much felt the same way about Killzone 2. I guess the series has its fans though, since Sony keeps pumping them out.

I also have heard Rise is bad, IMO the Dead Rising series has always been kinda iffy in terms of quality. Sure, they're fun to just kind of **** around in but I would never pay the full $60 price tag for any of them. Not to mention that Capcom has a history of backstabbing console manufacturers when they promise certain games will be exclusive (just ask Nintendo). As for KI... well, I personally didn't grow up with any of the games so when I finally gave them a go they just kind of came off as a more combo-oriented Mortal Kombat.
Ryse ~ Its the kind of game that makes you feel like a badass, and I LOVE those kinds of games
Dead Rising - ****ing around is really fun. Totally worth the $60 IMO.
KI - Its one of those fighting games were you can really feel the impact of the punch, and I really enjoyed it when I last played it.

(for those of you wondering, I was fortunate enough to be able to go to the EBGames Expo, where I got to experience the XB1 and PS4 a month before everyone else :D )

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I assume you also don't own a smartphone (or really a cellphone of any kind) for the same reason? Let's not pretend the Xbox is the only thing the NSA is tapping (nor is that assumption even fully substantiated, however likely it may be). That's also not to mention that you can just leave your Kinect in the box for the rest of time and enjoy your Xbox without it.

Lots of vitriol for Xbox on this board, which is unsurprising. Personally, I plan on owning both it and the PS4 (I've had a Wii U since 2012), but I just got the Xbox first because I love the Dead Rising series. Sure seems like everyone's out to get the Xbox, which I really don't get. If you don't like it, don't buy one! You don't have to go around deriding it to convince yourself you've made the right call! Enjoy your PS4 and Wii U and free your mind of Xbone hate. :)

finalark

SNORLAX
The people have spoken. IGN ran a people's choice contest between the PS4 and the Xbox One and the PS4 crushed the XB1 in every category.

Xbox One vs. PS4 - The Results - IGN Versus
Notice how every "which console is the best?" video every manages to exclude the Wii U. Then again, I suppose that's Nintendo's fault for letting their competitors duke it out with similar consoles while they just go do their own thing. Not that that's a bad thing, nobody wants three really similar consoles on the market. I certainly don't.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
The people have spoken. IGN ran a people's choice contest between the PS4 and the Xbox One and the PS4 crushed the XB1 in every category.

Xbox One vs. PS4 - The Results - IGN Versus
Let's not pretend this wasn't decided last summer when Xbox shot itself on its DRM policy, which earned MS the unending hatred of the internet hivemind (who even failed to notice when MS reversed it).

The Dualshock 4 is nice, and PS+ is hard to deny as pretty awesome, but I think it's much harder to argue that the PS4 had a better launch library (or even upcoming library) than the Xbone.

But again, I'll enjoy joining all you haters over on the Sony side later this year. Until then, I'll enjoy the great stuff coming to Wii U and Xbox and will do my best to avoid stoking the flames of cognitive dissonance, in-grouping bias, and **** slinging that define the term "console war"!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Let's not pretend this wasn't decided last summer when Xbox shot itself on its DRM policy, which earned MS the unending hatred of the internet hivemind (who even failed to notice when MS reversed it).

The Dualshock 4 is nice, and PS+ is hard to deny as pretty awesome, but I think it's much harder to argue that the PS4 had a better launch library (or even upcoming library) than the Xbone.

But again, I'll enjoy joining all you haters over on the Sony side later this year. Until then, I'll enjoy the great stuff coming to Wii U and Xbox and will do my best to avoid stoking the flames of cognitive dissonance, in-grouping bias, and **** slinging that define the term "console war"!
Who cares if they reversed it, they wanted to do it in the first place

finalark

SNORLAX
^ Pretty much. The fact that MS thought that people would be gullible enough to buy into the whole "always online DRM" thing on an entire console is enough to warrant avoiding the console, IMO. It doesn't matter that they reversed it. It would be like if you elected a president who suddenly decided he wanted to nuke all of Europe once he got into office, but then changed his mind once everyone hated him for it, and then still supporting him afterwards.

Plus everyone knows that Sony makes superior consoles anyway.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
^ Pretty much. The fact that MS thought that people would be gullible enough to buy into the whole "always online DRM" thing on an entire console is enough to warrant avoiding the console, IMO. It doesn't matter that they reversed it. It would be like if you elected a president who suddenly decided he wanted to nuke all of Europe once he got into office, but then changed his mind once everyone hated him for it, and then still supporting him afterwards.

Plus everyone knows that Sony makes superior consoles anyway.
The amazing thing to me is that it's a hell of a lot like Steam, which people can't seem to get enough of. Microsoft just made the mistake of thinking it would be greeted as warmly in the console space, which it obviously wasn't. They tried to come up with the best solution to the physical media problem of Steam, and they failed. I really don't think there was anything insidious about it, which is why it blows my mind that people remain so butthurt about it, even after they changed the system. I wasn't going to buy it either in its original iteration, but when MS saw that the licensing system they were proposing wouldn't work, they recanted. Fine by me.

Seriously, that's the bottom line. I don't think this was Microsoft trying to squeeze every last buck out of a "gullible" consumer base. It was Microsoft trying and failing to bring the Steam market model to the console space. Can you argue otherwise and substantiate it? I'm legitimately interested in hearing why so many people retain their ire for the Xbone.

I have absolutely nothing against Sony (as I've said in posts above, the PS4 is on the agenda for a future purchase for me), I just don't get the hate machine hivemind that slings its endless hate at Microsoft for what I perceive to be a pretty non-existent crime.

(And that's not to mention that, IMO, Nintendo's hardware will prevail, in every generation, as the one with the finest library of games at the end of the day!)

finalark

SNORLAX
The amazing thing to me is that it's a hell of a lot like Steam, which people can't seem to get enough of. Microsoft just made the mistake of thinking it would be greeted as warmly in the console space, which it obviously wasn't. They tried to come up with the best solution to the physical media problem of Steam, and they failed. I really don't think there was anything insidious about it, which is why it blows my mind that people remain so butthurt about it, even after they changed the system. I wasn't going to buy it either in its original iteration, but when MS saw that the licensing system they were proposing wouldn't work, they recanted. Fine by me.

Seriously, that's the bottom line. I don't think this was Microsoft trying to squeeze every last buck out of a "gullible" consumer base. It was Microsoft trying and failing to bring the Steam market model to the console space. Can you argue otherwise and substantiate it? I'm legitimately interested in hearing why so many people retain their ire for the Xbone.
Steam doesn't require you to constantly be online in order to play your Steam games. That being said, I'm generally not okay with digital distribution in general simply because if said distribution platform goes offline, there goes all of the money that you've sunk into it. All of your games are gone forever, especially since MS sought to completely eliminate disks with the Xbone. That means that if MS had decided to stay with their original plan for the Xbone, once they decided to discontinue services for the Xbone suddenly the console becomes a paper weight that you can never use again, even for single player games.

As said before, this extended to Steam as well. I'm actually really uncomfortable with so many of my PC games being so closely tied to Steam. If Steam every went down that would mean that my physical copies of games like ES5 and Alan Wake would be useless since they require a Steam account to play. IMO that's pure bull****, if I own the disk I should be able to play it without a digital distribution platform. Its only because of Steam's generous sales that Valve gets off scott-free. Although when Steam first launched, it was met with very similar resistance.

I have absolutely nothing against Sony (as I've said in posts above, the PS4 is on the agenda for a future purchase for me), I just don't get the hate machine hivemind that slings its endless hate at Microsoft for what I perceive to be a pretty non-existent crime.
As said before, its because MS even considered always-online being a console-wide thing.

(And that's not to mention that, IMO, Nintendo's hardware will prevail, in every generation, as the one with the finest library of games at the end of the day!)
IMO Nintendo and Sony are about equal, both provide their player base with excellent exclusives. Although Sony has sadly been focusing on that whole "online" thing that everyone seems to be in love with these days. Thankfully, we still have Nintendo for good old local multiplayer.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Steam doesn't require you to constantly be online in order to play your Steam games. That being said, I'm generally not okay with digital distribution in general simply because if said distribution platform goes offline, there goes all of the money that you've sunk into it. All of your games are gone forever, especially since MS sought to completely eliminate disks with the Xbone. That means that if MS had decided to stay with their original plan for the Xbone, once they decided to discontinue services for the Xbone suddenly the console becomes a paper weight that you can never use again, even for single player games.

As said before, this extended to Steam as well. I'm actually really uncomfortable with so many of my PC games being so closely tied to Steam. If Steam every went down that would mean that my physical copies of games like ES5 and Alan Wake would be useless since they require a Steam account to play. IMO that's pure bull****, if I own the disk I should be able to play it without a digital distribution platform. Its only because of Steam's generous sales that Valve gets off scott-free. Although when Steam first launched, it was met with very similar resistance.
I agree with pretty much all of this. I'm very wary of Steam, but I do have a good many games on because I'm not worried about eventually losing access to a game I only spent 5 bucks on in the first place. But yeah, the impermanence of Steam games is a big concern for me and the reason I rallied hard against the original Xbox One plan.

On a related note, though, I think Nintendo should be held just as accountable for their ****ty downloaded games policy, just in the opposite sense. They need to start tying games to accounts and having more frequent digital sales, or their digital sales numbers will suffer.

As said before, its because MS even considered always-online being a console-wide thing.
I think the bottom line is that I don't really care since they changed it, and some do. That's fine, I suppose, and now the onus is on Microsoft to come out with as much good software as they can to try to win people back. I think that's all they can do at this point. Since they aren't known for their exclusives, that may spell trouble for them (although I was very surprised that they published Dead Rising 3, so I guess they could surprise me again). So yeah, ball's really in MS's court to not just reverse their decision, but find a way to make the Xbone worth a purchase even to those alienated by MS's original intentions.

IMO Nintendo and Sony are about equal, both provide their player base with excellent exclusives. Although Sony has sadly been focusing on that whole "online" thing that everyone seems to be in love with these days. Thankfully, we still have Nintendo for good old local multiplayer.
Glad I am of that! Being in college, I have really great access to couch co-op partners, though, and I understand that that can be much harder to come by for people in more settled stages of life or rural areas. I also understand that the money really is in making great online experiences. Hopefully Nintendo's formula succeeds and shows just how much fun folks can have playing a game together in the same room. Local multiplayer really is a dying trend, and it's damn shame, because I think even a boring game can be made pretty fun with the right friend(s) in the room.

finalark

SNORLAX
Glad I am of that! Being in college, I have really great access to couch co-op partners, though, and I understand that that can be much harder to come by for people in more settled stages of life or rural areas. I also understand that the money really is in making great online experiences. Hopefully Nintendo's formula succeeds and shows just how much fun folks can have playing a game together in the same room. Local multiplayer really is a dying trend, and it's damn shame, because I think even a boring game can be made pretty fun with the right friend(s) in the room.
I agree that both sides have its benefits, like you said. It is nice for people who live far away from each other, and I personally enjoying being able to play games with my friends who live across town without having to worry about burning gas on a thirty minuet drive. However, IMO nothing, and I mean nothing, can replace or emulate the sense of comradery that comes with finishing a really hard level in a co-op game and passing high-fives all around the room. Or even being able to see your friend's face whenever you get the upper hand against them in a multiplayer game, along with the cheers and jeers that will inventively deafen everyone in the room. For me, that's just something that online play has just never been able to recapture.

Oh well, cheers to Nintendo for keeping to local spirit alive.

Metal Gear Salad

Smash Apprentice
I still don't understand how digital downloads are significantly more expensive than brand new w/ box. If they made it like £5 cheaper than retail they would still make a killing.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Fun fact, but apparently Microsoft Investors want to flat out kill off the entire XBox division since it's not making enough money. To which I say, I wouldn't be opposed to killing it with fire and giving it to some other company, like Sega and whoever they're paired with or something.

finalark

SNORLAX
Fun fact, but apparently Microsoft Investors want to flat out kill off the entire XBox division since it's not making enough money. To which I say, I wouldn't be opposed to killing it with fire and giving it to some other company, like Sega and whoever they're paired with or something.
DREAMCAST 2 CONFIRMED.

B Rod

Smash Rookie
Lol so many people hating on the new Xbox. I'm a huge Halo fan so I had to pick one up. All the bull**** rumors are NOT true about needing the kinect plugged in and not being able to play or trade used games. So far Microsoft is slacking on releasing things for the dashboard but the console is looking promising. Only dislike I've found was that they switched the mic plugs on the controllers making me wait for an adapter to hopefully be released for my headset. (Greedy ********) but other than that the console is very fast and the graphics blow my mind. I think if you liked the 360 you will be happy with the One. Forza 5 is amazing along with Battlefield but Ryse is only good for one run through of the campaign and I can't say I like Dead Rising at all. Actually a pretty bad game in my opinion. Destiny and Halo 5 are the games I'm really looking forward to. If you play xbox on the one add me @ Poison Ivys.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Just pointing out that all that stuff only isn't present because the entire gaming world completely crapped all over it when the system was announced and they did a total 180 on it, and everybody that knows how Microsoft is, knows they're just going to slowly re-introduce it over time. Plus, screw having a Kinect in general, let alone having it watch me. Well, that and the extra $100 price tag and no games that interest me, of course, lol.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm just glad that I have friends who are MS faithful, meaning that I can play Halo 5 at their house.

Actually the only Halo games I've ever legitimately owned are Halo 1 and 2 on PC, I usually just play local at a friend's house for 3 and 4.

Although if MS takes local out of Halo then I'm gone for good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom