• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

World of warcraft in MLG but not brawl....

Samus-T

Smash Lord
Wow.........so the next big MLG tournament is in san diego. the lineup includes halo 3, rainbow six, and WoW (brawl is NOT in the lineup).................ummmmm........ WoW is in but not brawl?.........wow........just wow.......any comments on this catastrophic event?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Guys, don't complain, the best way to get across to MLG is simply to show them how good a community we are, *****ing and moaning won't get us anywhere. MLG has already done much for Smash and while none of us really know if it will be added again, I'd like to hold out hope and not tarnish our reputation just because another community had its dreams realized.

S2

Smash Lord
Rainbow Six actually surprises me a little more. WoW is there most likely because its install base is so huge... and MLG knows anything with that many players is bound to attract attention if they host it in a tourney.

But R6? Honestly... how big is that competitive scene compared to us? Brawl is huge right now, MLG is foolish for not endorsing it.

Edit: Yeah, AlphaZealot you have a point. It's easy to forget that other competitive communities have fought hard for MLG adoption. But it's dissapointing to me that Smash is being left out when Brawl is still fresh and hype around the series is high.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I am confused by how one goes about playing competitive World of Warcraft.

What is that going to be, like, PVP tournaments or something, wtf?!

MLG is fail...

Hizkit

Smash Apprentice
Brawl doesn't have 10 million players. WoW is a much bigger game and it's a good move by MLG.

And yes, it will be arena matches.

Adi

Smash Lord
Well Brawl isn't much more competitive then arenas (lol), and WoW has a huge "competitive" base.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm actually glad to see WoW pvp get picked up by MLG. The competitive players in WoW are every bit as talented as smash players. it's not a technical finger speed game like melee, but more of a making the best decision and adapting to your environment.

each class has 40-some moves, and there are thousands of different matchups in 3v3 that you need to adapt to. Understanding how to use/counter 360 different moves (including spacing and direction) in thousands of different matchups takes a lot of skill. I've been playing WoW since launch, at times as much as 30 hours per week, and I don't think I'm even close to the top guys. Of the 10 million players, maybe 3-4 million PvP on a regular basis, and I consider myself in the upper 5% of those, but that means there are tens of thousands of player out there better than me in arenas.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
I'm actually glad to see WoW pvp get picked up by MLG. The competitive players in WoW are every bit as talented as smash players. it's not a technical finger speed game like melee, but more of a making the best decision and adapting to your environment.

each class has 40-some moves, and there are thousands of different matchups in 3v3 that you need to adapt to. Understanding how to use/counter 360 different moves (including spacing and direction) in thousands of different matchups takes a lot of skill. I've been playing WoW since launch, at times as much as 30 hours per week, and I don't think I'm even close to the top guys. Of the 10 million players, maybe 3-4 million PvP on a regular basis, and I consider myself in the upper 5% of those, but that means there are tens of thousands of player out there better than me in arenas.
Hahaha. You play WoW.

Hizkit

Smash Apprentice
I played a 2230 rated 2v2 team as a Shadow Priest before I quit. That **** is ****ing boring.

P.S. And this was in the Cyclone battlegroup - the best in the world.

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
Just keep supporting Brawl, let the community decide a standard rule-set, play lots of matches on gamebattles.com and MLG will probably add Brawl. I know that Mark Bombara is looking over the rules for GameBattles and approving them with MLG sometime.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
It should be expected. MLG likes to observe the competitiveness of their games, Brawl literally just came out. Give it some time for them to observe the game mechanics and the community.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Smash is also a ****ing party game

I agree, completely stupid.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Wow.........so the next big MLG tournament is in san diego. the lineup includes halo 3, rainbow six, and WoW (brawl is NOT in the lineup).................ummmmm........ WoW is in but not brawl?.........wow........just wow.......any comments on this catastrophic event?
They both suck, so it's rather irrelevant :D

Bet you the WoW playerbase would be whining just as much as some Brawl fanboys if the opposite happened.

Fletch

Smash Master
Smash is also a ****ing party game

I agree, completely stupid.
I agree with this, I don't think Brawl will ever really be picked up, but definitely not as soon as this anyways, MLG likes to see if any "competitive" value exists in their games before they pick them up, and therefore there is a good shot Brawl won't be added.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Brawl will get picked up. They're just waiting for us to bring out the competition in this game and get decent rules in place before they do.

They'd also probably wish to ensure the game doesn't degenerate. But I don't think it will.

I think the reason they dropped Melee to begin with was because Brawl was SUPPOSED to come out a year ago. After they made the decision, they couldn't really reverse it. Now Brawl IS out, and they're waiting. Be patient.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Mlg = Major leage gaming... WOW DOESNT COUNT AS A GAME!!! but brawl.. best thing out there atm :)

SMASH FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
WoW is mttb

:> someone had to say it

EDIT: MTTB = more technical than brawl
(Based off the thread in the Melee Discussion boards)

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
Brawl will be picked up for MLG... expect it to not make the 08 season tho cuz by the time it will the MLG playoffs will begin..I c melee being taken off the circuit in 07 cuz the smash community wasn't as large...Now Brawl has online...Smash Boards is only getting bigger...more local tourneys are coming about so fast...It jus takes time and the effort of those who want it to become a MLG based pro game again...I sure as hell am one of them...for those who ain't takin Brawl as a competivtive level of play and don't have thoughts of going pro do the rest a favor and keep ur opinions to urselves... This iz a fighting based game and requires an extreme amount of skill, not alot... an EXTREME AMOUNT and for those who don't agree look for those who will put u str8...A couple names to mention...Azen, Chillin, M2K, P.C., DmBrandon, Rockin, G-Reg, Cort, ROOKI3, 14 Him, KDJ, Fate, and for those who i ain't mention ya'll ain't any different...there are so many Smashers that will take this game to even bigger expectations within this year alone...Have Faith Fighters...I ain't givin up on smash until i hear Sundance officially say Brawl ain't makin it(knock on wood) and even then ima jus go to every local till the end... Thank u for readin my preaching words people...lolz...Holla at the ROOKI3

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Fence of text above, be careful!

Anyway, how come MLG rejected Brawl because of it being young, but accepted Halo 3??

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
Brawl will be picked up for MLG... expect it to not make the 08 season tho cuz by the time it will the MLG playoffs will begin..I c melee being taken off the circuit in 07 cuz the smash community wasn't as large...Now Brawl has online...Smash Boards is only getting bigger...more local tourneys are coming about so fast...It jus takes time and the effort of those who want it to become a MLG based pro game again...I sure as hell am one of them...for those who ain't takin Brawl as a competivtive level of play and don't have thoughts of going pro do the rest a favor and keep ur opinions to urselves... This iz a fighting based game and requires an extreme amount of skill, not alot... an EXTREME AMOUNT and for those who don't agree look for those who will put u str8...A couple names to mention...Azen, Chillin, M2K, P.C., DmBrandon, Rockin, G-Reg, Cort, ROOKI3, 14 Him, KDJ, Fate, and for those who i ain't mention ya'll ain't any different...there are so many Smashers that will take this game to even bigger expectations within this year alone...Have Faith Fighters...I ain't givin up on smash until i hear Sundance officially say Brawl ain't makin it(knock on wood) and even then ima jus go to every local till the end... Thank u for readin my preaching words people...lolz...Holla at the ROOKI3
Lol, your not pro.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
WoW Arena matches actually take far more skill than most of you people would think.

Please, people, fanboy less.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
MLG did not drop Smash for the following reason:
1) Community size
2) Tournament attendence
3) Lack of competitiveness
4) Fill in whatever other absurd reason you've heard

The following are myths for why MLG has not picked up Smash:
1) Community size
2) Tournament attendance
3) Lack of competitiveness
4) Lack of rules
5) Its a new game
6) Fill in whatever other absurd reason you've heard

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Does everyone not realize that, last I checked, the MLG pro circuit is sponsored by Microsoft? And that it has been this way since they dropped Smash?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The following are myths for why MLG has not picked up Smash:
6) Fill in whatever other absurd reason you've heard
Cash Mooney said:
It's because they have too many games on the pro circuit obviously, and that it would cost too much money for them to host another one.
Learn to read.

And Prime hit the nail.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Halo 1 was pistol tactics only.
Only.

Shadow Run can suck a big one.

And people, do you really expect Brawl to get picked up instantly? The game just came out. WoW has been out for some time now and I'm SURE they've been monitoring it for over just a couple months (the time Brawl's been out). There is now way MLG would pick a game up, the community has to build and MLG has to look at the gameplay, which believe it or not, is important.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
Ehhh... I wouldn't be so sure that Brawl has what it takes to be on the Pro Circuit. Not now....
More than likely never, but I guess you never know.

th0rn

Smash Lord
wow... Shadow Run actually takes skill to play unlike Brawl LOL...Rainbowsix also takes a ton of skill and teamwork and also has a larger community.

Who wants to see a bunch of Snakes shield and f-tilting over and over in MLG? That would be a ****ing joke...

Asking for Brawl to be in MLG is like the Mario Party community asking to be in MLG.

Top Bottom