• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Captain Falcon ever win a National?

Tekk

Smash Lord
I agree that most hype is generated by rivalries such has s2j vs kage/armada vs usa (lets be honest here)/mango vs scorpion master

but I wouldn't like it if people were to start hating each other for no reason IRL; on the boards that's really funny, but we all know armada and mango are best bros irl

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Why don't you guys post your results in the results forum :/

The Melee scene as a whole is really bad at that; I feel like only half of all tournaments get results threads lol
Because we rarely get the feeling that anyone even cares about our tournaments. I'm maintaining a vid thread for the series on SWF, which also has the results, and so far it got like two responses. We have a tournament database of our own, so we can document everything just fine for ourselves anyway.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Because we rarely get the feeling that anyone even cares about our tournaments. I'm maintaining a vid thread for the series on SWF, which also has the results, and so far it got like two responses. We have a tournament database of our own, so we can document everything just fine for ourselves anyway.
I care :(

But its interesting you'd say that...your players are pretty popular. I'm surprised no one has started an official Jeapie fanclub with how many fanboys he has lol.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I care :(

But its interesting you'd say that...your players are pretty popular. I'm surprised no one has started an official Jeapie fanclub with how many fanboys he has lol.
I don't know, whenever we post vids or results it doesn't get much attention. Might be because the boards in general aren't what they used to be, but I also think only big tournaments get any attention/hype these days. Our events are stacked (Jeapie, Zgetto, Adam, Remen, Amsah soon... and then several other players aren't too shabby either), but our entire scene is only like 40 people. It also seems the American crowd mostly just looks at Armada and one or two names they know, but I'm wondering to what level they actually keep up with our scene. In both Melee and Brawl the interest seems to mostly go one-way only.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Dude I was having a conversation just this week with a roomful of smashers about Jeapie's playstyle (we came to the conclusion it *****).

Everyone knows Adam, Zgetto, Amsah, Remen, etc...this isn't 2005. We got mad respect for Europe now. <3

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Fair enough, but how representative are you for your entire scene? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about respect or regional bias, but the fact remains people don't seem to care much for our tournaments, which is what started this conversation off. If it's the same for American locals, then I guess it all comes down to my other point of big tournaments draining the collective attention and hype. It's not ultimately not that much effort to post our **** here anyway for posterity, but it can feel kind of pointless.

D

Deleted member

Most people don't care about locals anymore in ANY place in the world

same players show up for 580582th time, unless some random guy/ old school pro comes back and ***** **** up most people sincerely do not care

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
I agree with Hax.... this game is dying slowly but surely. Soon nothing will be left at all. One thing is that game is too hard for many people. Second, the problem is that not many people can play each other because of restriction of how many people there are that want to play and good players often live clustered together while others who would like to get good cannot even have any chance because of locations of smash players. Thirdly.... I think if Massive and IE pull off online melee and it works... it will definitely be the greatest contribution to the smash community as it will cause it to live much longer than it has.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
This game isn't dying. Everyone just sucks at organizing and motivating their local Smash communities. There is so much room for improvement everywhere.

leffen

Smash Champion
jesus you pathetic ****s

omgomgomgomg melee scene is dying

better not go out of my way to bring new players in and instead whine about it on the forums

yes

that'll work

our scene here in europe/sweden is growing and definitely not dying because I and a few others went out and hosted tournaments and encouraged newcomers to get more involved in the scene
oh so hard

Armada

Smash Lord
One of the main things for communities to die is that people are being lazy. This game still has a lot of people that love and care for the game but most people count on other people to do the boring stuff.

For example the Swedish smash community was kinda dead back in 08 (worse ever in Sweden) and do anyone know why?

Cause people was to lazy to actuallly work for something. The potential still was there but you have to work something for everything no matter how big the potential is. The community in Sweden came back once Helios started to holding tournaments again like he used to do in the past. Basically all the old schools that used to hold tournaments was done with the game or didn't have the motivation to hold tournaments longer.

Once the Swedish community was starting to holding tournaments again even more people showed up most of the times. I think the situation is kinda similar in a lot of places. People wanna play but are lazy.

I used to be one of those guys aswell so that's why Im holding tournaments, to be sure it dosen't die for the wrong reasons.

Come on guys melee still has a lot of time left =)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
u just want it to keep going so you make more money
m2k status

stelzig

Smash Lord
Just want to point out that I do enjoy seeing results and vids from other european countries even though I may not post in results topics very often. I don't have too much of a problem finding information on the foreign boards either though (just need to know that there actually was a tournament, i'm not going to check all european boards regularely. Danish, swedish and international must be enough :p)

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Well, the scene dying is a completely different notion than the scene becoming... stagnant? The Dutch scene is also in better shape now than it was last year when it comes to events.

EDIT: I'll keep updating the vids topic every month anyway, so no worries. :)

EDIT2: Armada, you should come over again. Or don't you want to play with us anymore? :(

:phone:

stelzig

Smash Lord
jesus you pathetic ****s

omgomgomgomg melee scene is dying

better not go out of my way to bring new players in and instead whine about it on the forums

yes

that'll work

our scene here in europe/sweden is growing and definitely not dying because I and a few others went out and hosted tournaments and encouraged newcomers to get more involved in the scene
oh so hard
This actually is really hard, at least in Denmark. Even back when melee was new, the danish scene was really weak (weaker than now) because the players were too young and there just weren't many (less than 10 where eagle, tomber and myself remain). Only tomber and I ever attended an international tournament (RoX4) before 2009.
We have tried to appeal to the danish nintendo community many times, but they are all generally way to casual and don't care, and we've had melee played at two of the biggest fighting game tournaments in Denmark and again there was no interest whatsoever. Not that the danish FGC is *that* big either, it seems that the serious gamers in Denmark are all pc gamers (afaik, our country is pretty well ranked in counterstrike).

We have a few (also lazy :p) people interested in brawl who will appear at some of our bigger events, but even they don't give melee any attention at all even though we will play their game as well as play other games with them. Guess they all have their reasons though (like not being interested at all ("brawl is better") or thinking melee is too hard/they are too bad and stuff...) and i'm not going to straight up force them to play melee with me if they don't want to.

HOWEVER... The few people we do have in our scene are quite willing to travel and stuff, which is why we still manage to keep it alive I guess... Especially when we are neighbouring this very active, swedish scene :bee:

Edit: I'm also like the only dane in the mariokart community. Ever. Or I actually think mkw added 2-3 more, but that is also absolutely horrible. Danish nintendo community is so awful. =/

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
@ Leffen: I'm not whining about anything, just stating a fact from my experience traveling to different regions and seeing how well they organize their events. We're doing just fine in the Midwest... the last three tourneys I've hosted have gotten 115, 52, and 53 entrants respectively, featuring new attendees that I'd never seen before every time. Can the same be said in other regions? Definitely not. But it needs to happen.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
When I see Armada post, my timbers be shivered.

Melee isn't dying, people are just becoming old and nostalgic.

Aber

Smash Journeyman
Melee is definitley alive and well in CT. What its going to take for it to really be revitalized is new comers becoming better than the names we see at the top all the time, shaking things up. Until then, its the same old thing/same old results every tournament. But as long as people want to play, Melee will never die.

Armada

Smash Lord
Strong Bad: **** you find my secret =/
Everyone will quit now and then I have no job LOL

Marc: I would love to attend something in Holland again. I really miss all of you guys but I haven't heard about any tournaments for many months now (except for the one Jeapie one after the tournamnt was done).

Send me a PM or something when something that is at least okay and I will try to come for sure =)

TheLake

Smash Master
Umm PA is smash is only getting bigger

because we holding tourneys

and BAGGING DEM *****ES

....anyways yeah our state is growing not just in numbers

but skill too

Just you wait we gonna turn some heads sooon

Cause the hype in my body is only boiling hotter

You think im loud and annoying now?

I barely even breached the surface

Im kicking to a 9 on the richter (rickter...riccter..?) scale baby!

When PA is through with the rest of the world

You wont remember ka-master...or cosmo...darkrain (ok maybe darkrain...<3 fanboy) or fox mcloud

PA's gonna bring the heat

So burn that in your cereal bowls

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Marc: I would love to attend something in Holland again. I really miss all of you guys but I haven't heard about any tournaments for many months now (except for the one Jeapie one after the tournamnt was done).

Send me a PM or something when something that is at least okay and I will try to come for sure =)
Will do! We're working on finalizing dates, but we intend to host a 32-man tournament every month up till June at least (so that's four more tournaments before the summer). I'll shoot you a PM once we're certain and you can look for cheap tickets at your leisure. :) Both me and Remen live really close to the venue, so we can probably work out housing also.

Armada

Smash Lord
That sounds awesome man =)

I really wanna see you guys again and some practice would not be wrong either. Yeah try to pick dates kinda early cause flying cheap to Holland is usually way harder then other spots in Europe.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think Toronto is doing okay. People are kind of strapped for cash, though (we're all students) so a lot of people don't enter the local tournaments because of it.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
France's melee scene has never been so active. We had many new players in the last 2 years, and small communities appeared out of nowhere in cities where no oned seemed to play smash.

Also, to make a link with the topic : we have many Falcon players among these new players, and they're improving at a fast pace. I expect to see one or two of them in the French top in the future.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
France's melee scene has never been so active. We had many new players in the last 2 years, and small communities appeared out of nowhere in cities where no oned seemed to play smash.

Also, to make a link with the topic : we have many Falcon players among these new players, and they're improving at a fast pace. I expect to see one or two of them in the French top in the future.
Lol sick to hear.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion

I subscribed to the channel and look forward to more videos of the french melee community.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Austrian scene is pretty legit too, though its probably hard for them to attend international tournaments. Or they're just lazy :p

I'd love to see them more often at big tournaments

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Austrian scene is pretty legit too, though its probably hard for them to attend international tournaments. Or they're just lazy :p

I'd love to see them more often at big tournaments
I dont know anything about the austrian scene.

Any videos of their top players?

Battlecow

Play to Win
I watch all the Dutch/French vids (or at least those that are fairly late in bracket), and I think a fair number of people do even if they don't leave comments in the thread.

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
BC is doing hella good
Mixin' with WA more for greater competition and lots of new players showing up left and right and there is some serious improvement

filteeeee

Top Bottom