• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Captain Falcon ever win a National?

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
No where is more dead than South Dakota... lmfao.

Juggleguy: when I get a bit more experienced Ihopefully by summer's end...) I wanna travel to one of your tournaments. The omaha smash scene is all I have.... seriously...

:phone:

S l o X

Smash Champion
This game isn't dying. Everyone just sucks at organizing and motivating their local Smash communities. There is so much room for improvement everywhere.
this is very true. i think TOs in respective regions have to step it up and that players will come and go but keeping them is definitely up to the community / how their first tournament goes. the only reason i'm sticking to melee is because how cool New England is.

and melee isn't dead in Tristate either. NE / Tristate tournaments back to back for the next month. get out of here with that.

actually, a lot of the players who were practicing like three times a week did stop and i don't even go to tristate tournaments because they are half as fun as ne. yea, maybe it is dead.

CorteX

Smash Cadet
Mixed feelings about this.
Don't get me wrong. Falcon is hella good and has one of the best punishing qualities in the entire game.
The problem with this character however is his unbalanced matchups. He can dominate some characters but gets completely overrun by others. There aren't many close matchups when it comes to Top/High tiers.
Then again, it doesn't matter if you can connect your hits and just tech chase everyone perfectly, but this holds up for any character basically.
However, when a good Fox/Falco/Sheik is playing safe and makes no mistakes Falcon will have alot of trouble. His nair is a good approach method but moves like Falco's dair go straight through. He gets combo'd easily and the trajectory Sheik's fair sends you goes completely against his limited recovery.
For a Falcon player to shine it would require the player to work around Falcon's limitations. Modern Falcons seem to be focussing alot on zoning lately and using his speed to his advantage and platforms to reach their opponents for example. This isn't because they want to, it's because they need to. His options out of shield are very limited and shield pressure/shinegrabs are things you want to avoid. Because if 1 hit connects you're pretty much toast vs a good player that knows how to play the matchup. This is why Falcons move around alot and use alot of stage tricks. Make them play your game and not the other way around (altho this can be quite hard when some spastic bird is spamming lasers on yo ***).
So yes, Falcon can win a National but it would require the player to make little to no mistakes and have some serious tricks to make up for the qualities he's lacking.
So you can either wait for your knight in shining armor to do this someday, or you can try to be that knight yourself ;) I don't think anyone has reached Falcon's full potential yet although people have come really close. I'm not giving up on this character.

CorteX

Smash Cadet
Haha, sure do, but you can't deny there's some truth in my post.
I don't say it's impossible, but it is very difficult, so props to anyone that can pull it off or tries to do so.
Then again I'm fortunate enough to play top players on a regular basis that have a tendency to turn any matchup around so maybe I'm a bit biased. It's just that certain limitations of this character always show whereas other characters don't have them.

His upB recovery is very predictable. You can however space it correctly so you don't get hit. But now take Fox for example; he can just sweetspot his sideB or use upB and play around with the angle he's recovering from. If Falcon attempts to grab the ledge he gets dsmashed because he cannot sweetspot.

Another example: his out of shield game. Let's say a Fox/Falco is pressuring your shield. What are you going to do about it? You can roll out and hope they won't read you and then the same thing repeats until your shield gets eaten and they either shieldstab or just shinegrab you because that seems to be hip these days. Shieldgrabbing is rarely an option because good spacie players space their attacks correctly or have frame advantage. Sure it works if they screw up, but what if they don't? upB out of shield works well but you can't rely on it unless they are at high %'s. Fox's answer to the same scenario? Shine out of shield to anything. The only way to work around stuff like this is by not getting in this situation in the first place making it a very unforgiving character to play.

Hence my reference to modern Falcons and their fast playstyle (yes, this includes especially you and rocky).
Falcon can be played in a way so your opponents have no clue what's going on and move so fast they can't pinpoint you.
Like I said before, adapting is key here and I'm convinced that Falcon can win a national in the right hands.
But it isn't easy, at all. Shoutout to every Falcon main still trying tho. It will happen, eventually. I'm convinced. 2012 is the year of the Falcon xD

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
On the tourney Saturday I will convince you that falcons up B is awesome and his oos game is actually good.

Falcon 2012
The debate

ORLY

Smash Master
whoaaaa okay so i read 3 pages and already regretted it

was it concluded that falcon cannot win a national? that character's seriously bad but he makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside

Windrose

Smash Lord
Yes, for the moment, it seems falcons can't win until they break in their new controllers.

Top Bottom